Gospel or theology?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 22, 2019
We are to share the Gospel with people, but when does the Gospel become theology? What is the good news anyway, and how do you separate this good news from religion?

Sep 3, 2016
We are to share the Gospel with people, but when does the Gospel become theology? What is the good news anyway, and how do you separate this good news from religion?
Romans 2:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Question? What is the gospel of the new covenant that the Apostle Paul preached from the Holy Spirit (revelation from Jesus Christ - Gal. 1:12) that we will be judged by? Answer; the message of the Cross (Christ Crucified) 1 Cor. 1:18.

Sep 3, 2016
Romans 2:16 King James Version (KJV)

16 In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.

Question? What is the gospel of the new covenant that the Apostle Paul preached from the Holy Spirit (revelation from Jesus Christ - Gal. 1:12) that we will be judged by? Answer; the message of the Cross (Christ Crucified) 1 Cor. 1:18.
But though we, or an angel from Heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed. As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that you have received, let him be accursed. Gal. 1:8-9

Sep 3, 2016
What men know about God is expressed in the term theology. The definition of theology is simply the study of God. The best source to learn about God is the Bible, the vehicle through which God has chosen to reveal Himself.

Until we have learned to hold to the Cross in the midst of the battle our faith is nothing but untested theology. This is the only way that theology in the head becomes the everlasting reality of the heart or it is a make believe salvation.

Pastor Loren Larson

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
The Good News is that God offers you the GIFT of eternal life through the Lord Jesus Christ. But He expects you to turn from every sin and idol and turn to Him and Christ in simple child-like faith and believe that Jesus died for your personal sins and rose again for your personal justification.

True theology is all Bible truth as understood from within the Bible. There is a great deal of theology but first things first. Unless you have the Holy Spirit within you (also given as a GIFT when you believe) you will never understand theology.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Gospel is knowing God and salvation through Jesus Christ. The good news is that God gave his only begotten son, whoever believes in Jesus will not perish and have eternal life.

Theology is just knowing about God or studying Him. You can be a theologian even if you dont believe in His son. I suspect theology happened because the Greeks liked to discuss and debate in their forums...much like this one. Old habits die hard.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
The Good News is that God offers you the GIFT of eternal life through the Lord Jesus Christ. But He expects you to turn from every sin and idol and turn to Him and Christ in simple child-like faith and believe that Jesus died for your personal sins and rose again for your personal justification.
I agree with the above but if you don't mind I would just like to give my thoughts concerning "But he expects"

This I agree with.
Jesus did not die for us to believe in him and then carry on as normal.
The normal of living in sin and continuing to have idols.

When I first read what you said what jumped out to me was "God expects it so I must do it"

But do we not need the Holy Spirit in us to help us?
I'm not talking a passive walk here, like "God just stop me doing it"
I'm saying that we come before God, ask him to reveal all the stuff in our lives that inhibits our relationship with him.

The Holy Spirit reveals such things and we ask for help but are willing to walk with him to turn from every sin and idols we have in our lives.

I may have got your point wrong but I'm responding based my life experiences.

Been told many times "God says now go do, stop this and don't do that"

If I could have then I wouldn't have looked for help.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I may have got your point wrong but I'm responding based my life experiences.
Bill,
I was just trying to keep things simple. God actually COMMANDS all men everywhere to repent and to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That is how people will get saved.

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Bill,
I was just trying to keep things simple. God actually COMMANDS all men everywhere to repent and to believe on the Lord Jesus Christ. That is how people will get saved.
Amen to that.

That's why Jesus said he had to back to the father so that the Holy Spirit would come to convict the world of its sin.

The sin of unbelief in Jesus.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Gospel is the gospel and theology is the study of the basis for and meaning of the gospel. Make sense?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Gospel is the gospel and theology is the study of the basis for and meaning of the gospel. Make sense?
Then explain the gospel as how it relates to theology.

Theology can mess up the gospel.
Things like "You are not saved unless baptised"
Or "You are not saved unless you speak in tongues"

Or batptising infants.

What is the gospel Preston?

BillG

Feb 15, 2017
Bill,
Yes keeping it simple is the purpose.
Jesus made it simple.
Child like faith.

Alas some make it hard and tie a millstone around the neck.

I'm not saying you did or do this.
But I'm very retisant given my experience of Christan life and what I was taught.
Maybe still a hangover?

So just so you know, I was not going at you.
I respect you and read all your posts.

God bless you bro.

Dec 12, 2013
The two are connected.....Theology is the study of God/Bible....and the Gospel is not just the correct message of salvation, but rather the correct message concerning everything and has many facets....

The gospel of your salvation
The gospel of the kingdom
The Gospel of God
The Gospel of his Son
The everlasting Gospel the angel preaches in Revelation ->Fear God and worship him that made the earth, heaven and seas

Etc.......Many truths encapsulated within the concept of "THE GOSPEL"

P

pottersclay

The ( gospel) good news is that the Lord God Almighty has sent his son as he promised. The work of the son has set you free.
For the time of grace is upon us, forgiveness is found with out stretched arms. Mercy and acceptance are but a prayer away.
His peace and love knocks on the very door of your heart beckoning for the invite to enter.
Behold old things have faded away, all thing become new. The lame shall walk, the blind shall see, the poor shall be rich, the lost shall be found. The dead shall rise . The Lord has declared it and it shall come to pass.
Praise the King of glory, hide his word in your heart, Enter in to the joy of the Lord. For the work of the father is to believe his only begotten.

The theolgy behind this is......there is none😋😋😋😋😋.....it is a gift.

FollowHisSteps

Feb 15, 2019
Good news in Jesus is religion, where religion is about beliefs about God.

Religion as a word to imply failure is used to mean pointless acts of "faith" which are contradictatory
and in the view of some, trying to earn favour off the spiritual realm by behaving a particular
way without actually believing the behaviour has value by itself.

The problem is the Lord rewards certain behaviour and punishes others, so using the word religion
to condemn behaviour to please God, is actually contradicting God the Father and Jesus.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
The gospel is the "good news" of the death, burial and resurrection of Christ (1 Corinthians 15:1-4) and is the power of God unto salvationto everyone who BELIEVES.. (Romans 1:16). To “believe” the gospel is to trust in the death, burial and resurrection of Christ as the ALL- sufficient means of our salvation.

The gospel is not a set of rituals to perform, a code of laws to be obeyed or a check list of good works (including water baptism) to accomplish as a prerequisite for salvation.

preston39

Dec 18, 2017
Then explain the gospel as how it relates to theology.

Theology can mess up the gospel.
Things like "You are not saved unless baptised"

Talk to G-d...that's what He commands...not me.

Or "You are not saved unless you speak in tongues"

Where does the Bible say that?

Or batptising infants.

Baptizing ( I'm sure you mean)....where does the Bible say that? I conclude you do not know or you would not have asked.
(See 2 Samuel chapter 12;
22 And he said, While the child was yet alive, I fasted and wept: for I said, Who can tell [whether] GOD will be gracious to me, that the child may live?
23 But now he is dead, wherefore should I fast? can I bring him back again? I shall go to him, but he shall not return to me.

Matt; 18:1 At the same time came the disciples unto Jesus, saying, Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?
18:2 And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them,
18:3 And said, Verily I say unto you, Except ye be converted, and become as little children, ye shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
18:4 Whosoever therefore shall humble himself as this little child, the same is greatest in the kingdom of heaven.
18:5 And whoso shall receive one such little child in my name receiveth me.
18:6 But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea.
18:10 Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones; for I say unto you, That in heaven their angels do always behold the face of my Father which is in heaven.
18:11 For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost.

I doubt we should have any concerns of a Child.

What is the gospel Preston?

If you don't know I suggest you study the Bible!!!!!.......
The subject of theology.

G-d's word and it's meaning.

Your answers are?

I doubt you will understand all that info...but please try.