Got robbed, robber lives round the corner...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Nov 12, 2019
What would you do?

Our house was broken into last week. My 3 and 5 year old and wife were all asleep in the house with me. Thankfully all they did was steal and leave, but as you can imagine, having an intruder in our home, while our children were asleep in their beds was horrifying.
We of course called the police who came and did very little, gave us a police report number and left. A little while later the forensic team comes, find nothing and leaves. After logging all the stolen items with the police online portal, and realised how little they could do, we decided to start thinking about fort knoxing our home to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Fast forward a week (yesterday), I'm at work and I get a call from an unknown number. It's a contractor doing maintenance on a vacant community housing property and they've found some of my belongings. I tell him I'll be shortly, and after explaining it to my work I head over. On the way I call the local police station after advice from a colleague who was a former police colleague, to let them know the situation, in case they want to attend the property to collect the items to maintain any forensic evidence. The police told me I could just go and collect, which felt odd to me, but whatever.

Upon arriving, i met the contractor and he tells me the property has been vacant since May 2023 and since they've been here this time, it's been used by the same guy who leaves when they arrive in the morning. They know he's there before they go in because his push bike is out back. So he shows me in and I find a heartbreaking scene. Clearly someone squatting there. In one bedroom I find a makeshift bed, bits of food rubbish, warm clothes, a backpack, drug paraphernalia and empty baggies. I also find obviously stolen items, jewelery boxes with jewelery still in them, packets from an actual jewelery store (Prouds) with jewlery still inside, portable speakers etc. In another bedroom I find everything he's discarded as rubbish. Thankfully in there I find our wallets with all our cards, my wifes handbag, the documentation that was inside it, my kids phone (no sim card, just an old phone we just use it to stream tv for them), my prescription sunglasses, my wifes work keys, and some other small items that had been discarded from my work bag. Unfortunately no electronic items, like my laptop or ear buds, but whatever.

I take photos of the rooms as well as another ID amongst others that I found on the floor and head off to the police station with this information.
I give them all the new info as above and ask what they're going to do with the information. Their response was, discouraging. 'They might send a car by'... 'they don't really have the resources to check every report'... 'getting a conviction is almost impossible as it's a squat house and the person just has to say they're not the only person squatting there.' Just an aisde, this property is less than a km away, from the police station and my house each, like ½ a mile for my American friends. I of course am not satisfied by their apparent lack of concern that a squat house so close to my home is being used as a base for B&E's, so I ask what they would do if it were them, and their local PD gave them the response they were given. They sympathised but did not alter what they'd said and warned me about taken matters into my own hards as I could be arrested.

I leave and go home to fill my wife in before heading to work. She's of course furious and disappointed with the system, as she's always been a much bigger supporter of police than I, despite being indigenous herself (not great representation for indigenous Australian's and police involvement). Regardless of her disappointment, when I get home that night, we talk and decide we should take them a sleeping bag and some food because no one should go to sleep hungry and cold. I know, crazy, but if you can't love your enemies, do we really do what Jesus did? I left it on the porch and came home, don't worry.

I am still frustrated by the policing response, and wish there was something to be done to ensure this threat to my family wasn't literally around the corner from my house. At the same time know life is hard, however life being hard doesn't give anyone the right to make my wife and kids unsafe in their own home.

So, knowing where the individual sleeps each night, and with the police doing nothing, knowing they've broken into your home once already, and knowing they're so close you can drive there in 2 minutes, what do you do?

Cameron143

Mar 1, 2022
Have you thought about getting a dog?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Pray for the government, the poise, and most of all the squatter cum drug addict.

There is nothing more you can do, for if you act on it, you may be thrown in jail.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
What would you do?

Our house was broken into last week. My 3 and 5 year old and wife were all asleep in the house with me. Thankfully all they did was steal and leave, but as you can imagine, having an intruder in our home, while our children were asleep in their beds was horrifying.
We of course called the police who came and did very little, gave us a police report number and left. A little while later the forensic team comes, find nothing and leaves. After logging all the stolen items with the police online portal, and realised how little they could do, we decided to start thinking about fort knoxing our home to ensure this doesn't happen again.

Fast forward a week (yesterday), I'm at work and I get a call from an unknown number. It's a contractor doing maintenance on a vacant community housing property and they've found some of my belongings. I tell him I'll be shortly, and after explaining it to my work I head over. On the way I call the local police station after advice from a colleague who was a former police colleague, to let them know the situation, in case they want to attend the property to collect the items to maintain any forensic evidence. The police told me I could just go and collect, which felt odd to me, but whatever.

Upon arriving, i met the contractor and he tells me the property has been vacant since May 2023 and since they've been here this time, it's been used by the same guy who leaves when they arrive in the morning. They know he's there before they go in because his push bike is out back. So he shows me in and I find a heartbreaking scene. Clearly someone squatting there. In one bedroom I find a makeshift bed, bits of food rubbish, warm clothes, a backpack, drug paraphernalia and empty baggies. I also find obviously stolen items, jewelery boxes with jewelery still in them, packets from an actual jewelery store (Prouds) with jewlery still inside, portable speakers etc. In another bedroom I find everything he's discarded as rubbish. Thankfully in there I find our wallets with all our cards, my wifes handbag, the documentation that was inside it, my kids phone (no sim card, just an old phone we just use it to stream tv for them), my prescription sunglasses, my wifes work keys, and some other small items that had been discarded from my work bag. Unfortunately no electronic items, like my laptop or ear buds, but whatever.

I take photos of the rooms as well as another ID amongst others that I found on the floor and head off to the police station with this information.
I give them all the new info as above and ask what they're going to do with the information. Their response was, discouraging. 'They might send a car by'... 'they don't really have the resources to check every report'... 'getting a conviction is almost impossible as it's a squat house and the person just has to say they're not the only person squatting there.' Just an aisde, this property is less than a km away, from the police station and my house each, like ½ a mile for my American friends. I of course am not satisfied by their apparent lack of concern that a squat house so close to my home is being used as a base for B&E's, so I ask what they would do if it were them, and their local PD gave them the response they were given. They sympathised but did not alter what they'd said and warned me about taken matters into my own hards as I could be arrested.

I leave and go home to fill my wife in before heading to work. She's of course furious and disappointed with the system, as she's always been a much bigger supporter of police than I, despite being indigenous herself (not great representation for indigenous Australian's and police involvement). Regardless of her disappointment, when I get home that night, we talk and decide we should take them a sleeping bag and some food because no one should go to sleep hungry and cold. I know, crazy, but if you can't love your enemies, do we really do what Jesus did? I left it on the porch and came home, don't worry.

I am still frustrated by the policing response, and wish there was something to be done to ensure this threat to my family wasn't literally around the corner from my house. At the same time know life is hard, however life being hard doesn't give anyone the right to make my wife and kids unsafe in their own home.

So, knowing where the individual sleeps each night, and with the police doing nothing, knowing they've broken into your home once already, and knowing they're so close you can drive there in 2 minutes, what do you do?
There are very good police, but it's like so many other occupations, they are the exception rather than the rule. People tend to idolize them because of generations of TV shows and movies about heros. One thing is true, policing of communities used to be up to the men. Eventually they let that responsibility go to the GT like every other responsibility. We in USA as you in Australia live in a tyranny and most don't even know it. We've got hired so called public servants threatening us with felonies if we defend ourselves and the real criminals go out to steal, rape or pillage. It is too much trouble for some of them to investigate and granted, some areas are overwhelmed with crime. I'm not saying you should, but if every man in the community took care of crime according to the Biblical mandates with proper due process, crime would decrease. God's way works, while man's philosophies and systems are not redeemable.
I can give multiple examples.
The good cops work WITH decent people to clean up problem areas. Most are going to disappoint us all, just like the medical system, just like politics.

I hope you and your wife find a good pastor who will put things in a biblical perspective. She should look to God and His man for protection. That's you, not deputy Fife down at the station. She should kindly be reminded if this. It's hard to change the mind of someone who was under gt schools for 12 years and television programming.
God's Word speaks to these issues.

As far as the criminal who broke in and stole from you, I understand your situation and point of view. I wish to lead the drug addicts and homeless to Christ. However, I don't want them to endanger my family and steal my things. There's got to be consequences. In a just society, restitution is the Biblical mandate . 4+ X the amount stollen depending upon the details. I doubt if Australian parliament will require that of him, so there's little incentive for any kind of reform.
I hope that your neighbor goes far away and leaves you all alone. When the world experiences economic collapse, we will see much more of this. I was thinking today that I need to harden my home with layers of defense since the last break in.
As for the poor and addicted, those of us who are soul winning Christians should go to the world and share the gospel. Get them saved, then baptized, then Ina good church that stands upon good doctrine. That is what is transformative. John 17:17

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
since it's likely to happen again and he's probably on drugs, get something large caliber if gets inside again. then get better locks and some motion sensor lights mounted where they can't be reached.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
What you should have done, IMO, is gather up all the items in that room that appeared to be stolen and taken them to your home. Keep any that is what he stole from you. Take pictures of all the rest and put online where ever possible asking people if any of the items were stolen from them.

Then, get with the Contractor and possibly members of your Church and go over to that house and clean it out front to back. You and two or three others go to the house when the squatter/thief is there and confront him. If there is something you can do to help him get out of his situation, do that. If not, give him a ride to either the closest rehab clinic or the next town.

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
I am in Aus too and I am not surprised with the response you had from the police. I had a guy move next door to me once who took drugs. He had that vicious dog breed (I cant remember what they are called) He never had his dogs fenced in so they would come to my place. The ranger ended up removing them. He was so angry that he came outside my place and threatened to get me. I rang the police. At the time I lived half an hour out of town. The police said that they would not come out as it was too far. I said what are you waiting for, something bad to happen.

They ended up sending out a car but they weren't too happy. Then in a very loud voice the police man said outside that they have come out because of my phone call about my neighbour. Just nice and loud for him to hear and I lived alone. Unbelievable!!

The system here is up the creek!!

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
I am in Aus too and I am not surprised with the response you had from the police. I had a guy move next door to me once who took drugs. He had that vicious dog breed (I cant remember what they are called) He never had his dogs fenced in so they would come to my place. The ranger ended up removing them. He was so angry that he came outside my place and threatened to get me. I rang the police. At the time I lived half an hour out of town. The police said that they would not come out as it was too far. I said what are you waiting for, something bad to happen.

They ended up sending out a car but they weren't too happy. Then in a very loud voice the police man said outside that they have come out because of my phone call about my neighbour. Just nice and loud for him to hear and I lived alone. Unbelievable!!

The system here is up the creek!!
Well, at least you can get a gun and defend yourself...... oh, wait.... your government took away that right from you, didn't it?

Elections have consequences. Unfortunately, we have too many ignorant people here that are willing to go that route, as well. It's getting worse.

maxwel

Apr 18, 2013
What to do?

1.) Stop enabling the squatters by taking them supplies; you are only encouraging their crime of illegally squatting.

2.) Put some security cameras on your property: you can do it cheaply if you do your own installation.

3.) Put a few inexpensive alarms on points of entry: again, you can do it cheaply if you do your own installation.

4.) Get a dog... or get a bigger dog.

5.) If you can't own firearms keep some kind of defensive implement nearby, in case of emergency.

Conclusion:
- There are many things you cannot do, but you can protect your family.
- As someone mentioned above, it will probably happen again... so take proactive measures.

Tall_Timbers

Mar 31, 2023
Cheyenne WY
christiancommunityforum.com
The thief will probably be back at some point. It's common to burglarize the same place more than once. Get a gun if you're willing to use it. Our system of law and order has completely broken down in many communities. Since the person appears to be a junkie, they are a threat to your family.

Zandar

May 16, 2023
German shepherds are a pain, but they will guard your house. Id get an old one and leave it outside. Id get another friendlier calmer dog for an inside dog(but large enough to not get hurt by the shepherd).

Might even get 2 outside dogs instead. Maybe a medium size one for the inside. Inside dogs are a pain though.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Time to secure your house. Bars on the windows, bars on the door. Motion activated lights, lawn sprinklers, and security cameras.

Then see if you can afford to move to a different neighborhood.

Police are the ones who file a report after you are murdered and the rest of your family is raped. (Too common a story)

Homeless people have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain by stealing and assaulting your family. (Sad reality)

If the "squatter" can be positively identified there's a distinct possibility that the police are already looking for them due to warrants. And if you can then bring proof that this is a guy they have been looking for....then the police will do something if the charges are serious enough. Otherwise? The same as you have now. (And possibly a new set of squatters will fill the vacant home)

Dogs need to be thoroughly trained to be effective. (Requiring lots of dedication) And even then they are targeted by determined thieves for poisoning.

You probably just need to move somewhere else.

Zandar

May 16, 2023
One more thing about dogs, if its a house dog, it will go nuts if anyone tries to break in. But its a pain to train them. My niece has, my sister has, i have friends also that have trained inside dogs so it can be done.

A dog is a great deterrent because no one wants dog bit. One of the bitiest meanest dogs ive ever none was chows. I hate those things. Theyre real sneaky but they will definitely mess with an intruder.

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
One more thing about dogs, if its a house dog, it will go nuts if anyone tries to break in. But its a pain to train them. My niece has, my sister has, i have friends also that have trained inside dogs so it can be done.

A dog is a great deterrent because no one wants dog bit. One of the bitiest meanest dogs ive ever none was chows. I hate those things. Theyre real sneaky but they will definitely mess with an intruder.
my grandfather had a chow.

and they are sneaky. when i was inside the fenced back yard where the dog was, with my grandfather, i kept a eye on him.

without my grandfather with me, i did not go in there....

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
What would you do?

You could buy a gun, get certified in case he comes back.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
You could buy a gun, get certified in case he comes back.
Not in Australia. Can't do it, legally.

Part of Australian law, citing "legitimate" reasons to be approved for the purchase of a firearm....

Genuine Reason Required to Own Gun. To qualify for a gun license, an applicant must show a genuine reason for owning, possessing, or using guns. He can only use the gun for the reason he got the license.
An applicant has a genuine reason for possessing a gun if he wants it for (1) sport or target shooting and is a member of an approved club; (2) recreational hunting or vermin control and has written permission from the landowner; or (3) use in connection with an occupational requirement such as farming, vertebrate pest control, security services, animal welfare, or professional shooting. A bona fide gun collector can also get a license. Self defense and property protection are not genuine reasons (Section 23).

Burn1986

Mar 4, 2024
Not in Australia. Can't do it, legally.

Part of Australian law, citing "legitimate" reasons to be approved for the purchase of a firearm....

Genuine Reason Required to Own Gun. To qualify for a gun license, an applicant must show a genuine reason for owning, possessing, or using guns. He can only use the gun for the reason he got the license.
An applicant has a genuine reason for possessing a gun if he wants it for (1) sport or target shooting and is a member of an approved club; (2) recreational hunting or vermin control and has written permission from the landowner; or (3) use in connection with an occupational requirement such as farming, vertebrate pest control, security services, animal welfare, or professional shooting. A bona fide gun collector can also get a license. Self defense and property protection are not genuine reasons (Section 23).
Too bad

Zandar

May 16, 2023
I guess Australia isn't into the freedom thing. We are fortunate in the US. Anyone can buy a used gun or borrow one and use it to protect their family.

Zandar

May 16, 2023
Get you some olive oil and anoint the outside of the house and pray and ask the Lord to protect your home.