grammar police

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I remember my English teacher in college was very particular for instance if you had only one comma mistake on a paper your grade would be no higher than a b. Once he asked me what a word was that I spelled wrong and it was the word occurred however I spelt it with an a. However, worst of all after we turned our papers in he would read and make fun of the worst ones in front of the whole class. Thankfully he didn't mention names when he did so because one of the ones he read out loud was mine.

English professors all too often exemplify everything that's wrong with bourgeois elitists. One of my English professors was shot in the eye with a bee-bee gun for being a schmuck like that.
 
English professors all too often exemplify everything that's wrong with bourgeois elitists. One of my English professors was shot in the eye with a bee-bee gun for being a schmuck like that.
As strange as it may sound my teacher, as rough as he was, taught me a lot.
 
April 11th, 2012
#9​


USA.jpg

Dude653
user-online.png

Senior Member
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
reputation_pos.png
Join DateMarch 19th, 2011Age40Posts3,862Rep Power11

icon1.png
Re: misunderstandings between Catholics and Christians


Catholicism is anti Bible and Anti Christ. It is the doctrine of satan​



I respect your opinion, You're entitled to be wrong


I am new to this website, and I have really enjoyed the feeling of solidarity here. I have come across one comment that I would never expect to find on a Christian site and feel the obligation to enlighten everyone else. This comment is so hate filled, we should all pray for him.

​

 
I have seen some on CC that have bad grammar but they have spiritual wisdom and understand other members post and communicate very well with what they say so If It's possible to overlook the bad English, look past It and focus on what they are saying.

That's true, and like most things the answer lies in the middle. There are there are the people Utah points out, eloquent speakers who do very little thinking, there's the opposite which are those who are great thinkers but who speak a little non-conformative. Then there's people like Mitspa, smart enough to know better but he doesn't really care. Those are the ones I find suspect and unreliable.

No offense of course. But if we're smart enough to know better let's show a little that we care.
 
I blame it all on the auto correct spell feature, examples:

Do you link ice cream - should be do you like ice cream.

Goat to fill the car with pet real - got to fill the car with petrol.

Those English teachers of the past would be turning in their gravy. :)
 
A comma or lack of a comma changes the whole meaning of a sentence.
Example . .We are taking donations to help prevent domestic violence,in the front office....
leaving out the comma means that there is domestic violence in the office
 
Another common infraction is when people say all of a sudden. There are many words that can be used as either an adjective or a noun, however sudden is not one of those words. I google it and it said that since it is an idiom then technically it is proper grammar but I just can't justify using an adjective as a noun.
That must have been covered in English 1304 or something. Lol just playing around
 
A comma or lack of a comma changes the whole meaning of a sentence.
Example . .We are taking donations to help prevent domestic violence,in the front office....
leaving out the comma means that there is domestic violence in the office
I'm not sure if that sentence needs a comma.
 
I'm pretty forgiving of spelling and grammar errors online...as long as I can understand the intent then I'm not about to nitpick, it's silly.
It seems petty when the only response to a person's inquiry or thought is simply highlighting a grammatical error.
 
I'm pretty forgiving of spelling and grammar errors online...as long as I can understand the intent then I'm not about to nitpick, it's silly.
It seems petty when the only response to a person's inquiry or thought is simply highlighting a grammatical error.
I couldn't find a single error in your post,
therefore, I have nothing to say!

('cept, Merry Christmas to you ;))
 
English professors all too often exemplify everything that's wrong with bourgeois elitists. One of my English professors was shot in the eye with a bee-bee gun for being a schmuck like that.

English teachers dont exemplify error but they are paid to catch it and correct it! That is their expertise. Who else but an english teacher will teach a person to write correctly? I hope the guy that used violence against his teacher was expelled and brought up on charges. There is never an excuse to behave that way.