Great Historic Revivals and What Triggers Them

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
[QUOTE="7seasrekeyed, post: 3858928, member: 260610
by and large, in the amount of time I've been here, people do not want to watch long videos and it's not for lack of posters posting them...generally speaking, I don't watch them either unless it's of particular interest, so don't fret...nothing new[/QUOTE] We have so much information available to us. Someone said hat in one day we have more information given us than those of the first century had in a lifetime. We even have subliminal messages given us that are part of our subconscious mind. Who here studies their subconscious!!!!

So what catches our attention?

I find for me it is a search for truth. I am dependent on the Holy Spirit within me to recognize truth.

Today, people do not agree on what is truth.

Mar 28, 2016
Reformation is applied to something already established. Revival is more like a hooking up a trailer, by proxy, you are charging your trailer battery when running the lights/signals. Since more connections are made, you are getting better volt output because of the charge to the battery. It's a literal live wire. And when you get connected, you know you are touching something you want more of. So revival therefore is vital, reformation is only necessary if you never plan on awakening the dead.
Good example

I think Reformation is applied to something already established that needs to be restored it can affect the whole church many denomination unlike revival the program for the week.

Pentecost in Acts 2 would be a example of reformation.

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
Good example

I think Reformation is applied to something already established that needs to be restored it can affect the whole church many denomination unlike revival the program for the week.

Pentecost in Acts 2 would be a example of reformation.

We are in the Last Days, and as much as the current church status needs Reformation, God's infinite time has dwindled and those who know the Truth are Blessed, and those who do not will be tried. What we do have left, is time for a Revival to win some last minute souls for God!!

7seasrekeyed

[QUOTE="7seasrekeyed, post: 3858928, member: 260610
by and large, in the amount of time I've been here, people do not want to watch long videos and it's not for lack of posters posting them...generally speaking, I don't watch them either unless it's of particular interest, so don't fret...nothing new
We have so much information available to us. Someone said hat in one day we have more information given us than those of the first century had in a lifetime. We even have subliminal messages given us that are part of our subconscious mind. Who here studies their subconscious!!!!

So what catches our attention?

I find for me it is a search for truth. I am dependent on the Holy Spirit within me to recognize truth.

Today, people do not agree on what is truth.[/QUOTE]

you have mashed up something I said with something someone else said or maybe it is how you quoted

I don't know which...but I don't know why you are asking me this question as it seems unrelated to what I said

K

kaylagrl

The Welsh Revival of 1904-05 soon spread in 1906-08 to Azusa Street in Los Angeles, the place where global Pentecostalism was birthed--a revival that has led to 600 million converts. The spearhead of the revival is the most spiritually effective African American of all time, William Seymour, a man, tragically, that most modern Christians have never heard of. If you hunger for more of God and want to learn from the most effective prayer warriors ever, then you need to watch this excellent documentary:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...45B6BE51A88D862B614E45B6BE51A88D862&FORM=VIRE

I have heard of Azusa Street and pastor Seymour. I read up on several revivals a few years back,but I could use a refresher on it. I was in a church one time where Billy Sunday preached. I have a picture of my father standing behind the pulpit. I don't think we've seen a true revival in many,many years. But most people don't really know what revival is. They think if they have a good time in church a couple Sunday's they're having a revival. Not true. A true revival will see sinners saved,inside and outside the church.

K

kaylagrl

So people need to watch videos to learn how to force a revival? I guess no need to involve God's timing.
The birth of Pentecostalism? Now i know where to point fingers. Also responsible for turning untold numbers away from God.
No, I've never heard of that long dead, non-biblical preacher, either. Though i suppose it's no tragedy since that's not who we are called to learn from.
African-American, such a worldly, PC culture term. Not sure how it fits into the 'turn away from the worldly things' revival to be using PC terminology.

Pentecostalism has turned away untold numbers from God?! Do tell?

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019

Don't be concerned about the opinions towards Pentecostals from the remaining dead in Christ. Most Denominations have been asleep throughout their entire existence. There is no need to worry about those still with sleep in their eyes!!

7seasrekeyed

someone told me this is 'ugly' returning under another name

he said he lost his faith before leaving...so I don't know

but this person certainly sounds as sarcastic as he ever did

who knows

so tired of people taking out their personal problems on others here

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont do sarcasm and dont like seeing it on here. If people want to mock what God does...they can do it outside, their opinions count for nothing so just ignore them. Maybe God will grant them repentance if they come to the truth.

It reminds me of how Judas mocked Mary for pouring perfumed oil anoinitng Jesus feet. Oh she could have sold it and given it to the poor! Says the thief.

Well thing is the holy spirit cannot be bought nor sold. It is a free gift. So anyone trying to rummage up or sell or buy the holy spirit for gain wont get very far. See acts 8:19-20

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
The Welsh Revival of 1904-05 soon spread in 1906-08 to Azusa Street in Los Angeles, the place where global Pentecostalism was birthed--a revival that has led to 600 million converts. The spearhead of the revival is the most spiritually effective African American of all time, William Seymour, a man, tragically, that most modern Christians have never heard of. If you hunger for more of God and want to learn from the most effective prayer warriors ever, then you need to watch this excellent documentary:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...45B6BE51A88D862B614E45B6BE51A88D862&FORM=VIRE
Interesting timeline..
- Welsh Revival 1904 - 1905
- Azusa Revival 1906 - 1908
- Around the same time,
Revival/ Awakening in India, Korea.. etc.
----
Genuine "Revival/Awakening" had humble beginnings.
- Spirit of God moved in unlikely/humble places.
- Azusa Revival is a classic case/ example.
----
What triggers?
- Someone said - prayers..
I agree.
- But it happens in His time.
---
Revival/Awakening comes with criticism..etc.
- Because it breaks "existing pattern/establishment."
- It is not "nicely packaged" church services/programs.
People are more comfortable with that setting..
----
Revival/awakening movement - ( any movement in Christian history), after first generation,
loses original vision, fervor and commitment.
- The focus is on status, power...like other establishment.
Another example: Methodist movement.
----
I prefer to use words.. "awakening & movement"
- hope you understand..
----
Blessings,

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
It's interesting to study why these great revivals eventually ended. In the Welsh Revival, leading evangelical pastors started criticizing the inevitable excesses of a few of countless numbers swept up in the awakening. Since the revival was spontaneous, some excess was to be expected. Evan Roberts had little control over every aspect of the revival sweeping the country. But as a coal minor, he was not well trained theologically and he was somewhat emotionally unstable. The combination of a couple of years of sleepless nights at revival meetings and his depression over rising criticism brought this greatest of revivals to a halt.

The Azusa Street Revival unleashed many missionaries to the mission field. As it progressed, the need for new denominations created doctrinal and leadership disputes that shifted the focus away from the daily powerful manifestations of the Spirit. Also, since the prime movers of the revival were blacks, Indians, and other minorities, racism soon marginalized them as the white majority soon took over leadership roles. Even William Seymour, God's black catalyst triggering the revival, was slowly marginalized.

Factoid: 1908, the year the Azusa St. Revival erupted, saw more lynchings of blacks than any year in U. S. history.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
I just love the report about a skeptic attending worship during the Welsh revival, who was offended by the zeal and chaotic lack of structure for the service. He walked forward, towards the platform, indignantly demanding to speak. But just as he ascendrf the platform steps, he was slain the Spirit and gloriously saved and others prayed him through to his born again experience!

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
I just love the report about a skeptic attending worship during the Welsh revival, who was offended by the zeal and chaotic lack of structure for the service. He walked forward, towards the platform, indignantly demanding to speak. But just as he ascendrf the platform steps, he was slain the Spirit and gloriously saved and others prayed him through to his born again experience!

I took the liberty of highlighting the part claiming this atheist became "Slain in the Holy Spirit of Yahweh, and then accepted Yeshua as his personal Lord and Savior, and now is our Brother in Christ!!"

However, some here would claim this "Slain in the Holy Spirit is FAKE!!"

But if what you say is true, then it cannot be FAKE, can it?

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
In the Hebrides, key prayer warriors spent so many hours praying for revival that God eventually honored their intercession with unprecedented glory. It is instructive to notice which biblical texts motivated their prayer vigils for revival. The elderly Smith sisters
were too infirm to attend church, but they inspired the long prayer vigils and prayed for revival for hours 2 nights a week until revival erupted. When it did, 600 people wandered in a daze from their homes and lounged in front of the Smith sisters' house, not knowing why they were there, except that they were hungry for God. Here is the power verse that inspired these 2 sisters:
"I will pour water on Him who is thirsty and I will pour floods upon the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants (Isaiah 44:3)."

At another prayer vigil of 6 people in a barn, the breakthrough came after a passionate young elder meditated on this text:

"Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in His Holy place? Those who have clean hands and a pure heart, who do not lift up their souls to what is false, and do not swear deceitfully. They will receive blessing from the Lord (Psalm 23:3-5)."

In repentant agony, he then cried out, "Are my hands clean? Is my heart pure?" He then fell prostrate in a trance under the power of the Holy Spirit. As Rev. Duncan Campbell puts it, "At that moment a power was unleashed throughout the Hebrides that everyone could feel and the revival burst forth!"

obedienttogod

Jan 3, 2019
In the Hebrides, key prayer warriors spent so many hours praying for revival that God eventually honored their intercession with unprecedented glory. It is instructive to notice which biblical texts motivated their prayer vigils for revival. The elderly Smith sisters
were too infirm to attend church, but they inspired the long prayer vigils and prayed for revival for hours 2 nights a week until revival erupted. When it did, 600 people wandered in a daze from their homes and lounged in front of the Smith sisters' house, not knowing why they were there, except that they were hungry for God. Here is the power verse that inspired these 2 sisters:
"I will pour water on Him who is thirsty and I will pour floods upon the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your descendants (Isaiah 44:3)."

At another prayer vigil of 6 people in a barn, the breakthrough came after a passionate young elder meditated on this text:

"Who shall ascend the hill of the Lord? And who shall stand in His Holy place? Those who have clean hands and a pure heart, who do not lift up their souls to what is false, and do not swear deceitfully. They will receive blessing from the Lord (Psalm 23:3-5)."

In repentant agony, he then cried out, "Are my hands clean? Is my heart pure?" He then fell prostrate in a trance under the power of the Holy Spirit. As Rev. Duncan Campbell puts it, "At that moment a power was unleashed throughout the Hebrides that everyone could feel and the revival burst forth!"

Amen!!

Going to God in a faithful manner seeking His Presence to move upon a situation or city, country. Fasting and Praying while meditating upon His Promises within His Word. That devotion to reach God is a tremendous breakthrough. Because the moment that barrier gives in, what you are going to witness, will be the key that unlocks faith and removes obstacles in the way...

That is what I miss and what I seek!!

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
The documentary posted in my OP reports how the Azusa Street Revival was initially catalyzed by a small Black prayer group, which soon blossomed into an international group of marginalized worshipers.
Watch the stirring healing testimonies of the last 2 living (Black) eyewitnesses of the great Azusa Street Revival that gave rise to the modern global Pentecostal/ Charismatic movement that now numbers 1/4 of the world's Christian population.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7E64F1DBE28A7B703A477E64F1DBE28A7B7&FORM=VIRE

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I reckon a move of God starts when at least 10 righteous men (and/or women) get on their knees, humble themselves and pray, interceding for the nation. Why ten, well People in sodom and gomorrah it appeared their werent even ten righteous who were praying to God. So the whole towns were destroyed save Lot and his family.

The promise of God in chronicles reveals this..,if my people who are called by my name, seek my face, humble themselves and pray and turn from their wicked ways, I will hear from heaven and I will heal their land.

Did this happen in Israel when Jesus started his ministry...well we know anna and simeon prophesied and they were fasting DAY and NIGHT at the temple for the messiah to appear.

We know, because is recorded in the Bible that the nivevites, hearing that God was about to desroy them, repented, the nation called a fast and they all wore sackcloth and ashes, and God didnt destroy them!

We know that queen Esther, called a fast for three days, and her actions saved her people from being destroyed.

How did the israelites even get out of egypt, they could have stayed there longer than they needed to, well all that time they were slaving for the pharoah God was hearing their prayers and cries to be free. On Gods timing, he sent Moses to go challenge the Pharoah.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
The Welsh Revival was probably the most spectacular revival ever, but it is hard to get a feel for what it was like to be there. Sinners would confess their sins, testify, and sing in the Spirit until 4 AM. Just imagine how real and electric the presence of God must have been to inspire such an eagerness to stay in church for so many hours at a time. The revival inspired one hymn that richly blessed Evan Roberts in the early stages of the salvation of 100,000 unchurched sinners in just 4 months. The first 2 verses below are sung in the Welsh language and rest is sung in English. See if you can get a feel for the uniquely powerful and sustained anointing on those revival services form this theme song:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8ED4140D0A59CA5FF56E8ED4140D0A59CA5&FORM=VIRE

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
(4) The First Great Awakening is by far the most important spiritual revival in American history. To grasp its fascinating origins and awesome impact, watch this highly engaging lecture:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...5AD42EA42783D6C997BC5AD42EA42783D6&FORM=VIRE\

The Great Awakening coincided with the great Methodist revival in England. Despite the strong Calvinist bias in this video, the video is so historically accurate and informative that you will be profoundly inspired by watching it.