Great Historic Revivals and What Triggers Them

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

MadHermit

May 8, 2018
Charles Finney was a primary vessel for the unleashing of the Second Great Awakening of the 19th century. This brief video provides an excellent feel for how supernatural and effective Finney's ministry really was:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...590C83A93AD90A713488590C83A93AD90A7&FORM=VIRE

Notice how totally "soaked" in prevailing prayer Finney's evangelism was. What most moves me though, is his description of what happened when he was baptized in the Holy Spirit as a young man during a long walk in the woods. His description perfectly matches my imagery for my own experience of Spirit baptism, the greatest day of my life, with the exception that Finney never spoke in tongues like I did on that life-changing day as a spiritually hungry 16-year-old. I describe my experience in detail at the beginning of my Speaking in Tongues thread.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Charles Finney was a primary vessel for the unleashing of the Second Great Awakening of the 19th century. This brief video provides an excellent feel for how supernatural and effective Finney's ministry really was:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...590C83A93AD90A713488590C83A93AD90A7&FORM=VIRE

Notice how totally "soaked" in prevailing prayer Finney's evangelism was. What most moves me though, is his description of what happened when he was baptized in the Holy Spirit as a young man during a long walk in the woods. His description perfectly matches my imagery for my own experience of Spirit baptism, the greatest day of my life, with the exception that Finney never spoke in tongues like I did on that life-changing day as a spiritually hungry 16-year-old. I describe my experience in detail at the beginning of my Speaking in Tongues thread.
I remember reading about his experience ( Holy Spirit )...many years ago.
---
I also read/heard testimonies about some people having " similar encounter/experience " - nowadays.

Jul 23, 2018
A revival these days would be very difficult, if not impossible. Even if those past events happened today, they wouldn't get the same reaction. People were much more receptive to the idea of the power of God back then and the church was generally very well respected by society in those times.
The Brownsville revival was the last great revival in our times.
Hundreds of thousands saved. We arrived there in 1997. Pastor kilpatric was so moved on that he could barely get to his car after the meetings. Most of the time his face was burried in his handkerchief. The power of God was so Manifest in there that you could feel it when you walked in.
The preaching was salvation preaching.
The conviction was so strong they would literally run to the altar.
It forever imprinted my life.
They came from all over the world and spent thousands to get there,just for a touch from God. Most Got what they came for.
We used to wait at the door after the service and watch them come out so moved on by God they could barely make it home. Some had to helped out in wheelchairs.
Lord,do it again.

Jul 23, 2018
The Welsh Revival was probably the most spectacular revival ever, but it is hard to get a feel for what it was like to be there. Sinners would confess their sins, testify, and sing in the Spirit until 4 AM. Just imagine how real and electric the presence of God must have been to inspire such an eagerness to stay in church for so many hours at a time. The revival inspired one hymn that richly blessed Evan Roberts in the early stages of the salvation of 100,000 unchurched sinners in just 4 months. The first 2 verses below are sung in the Welsh language and rest is sung in English. See if you can get a feel for the uniquely powerful and sustained anointing on those revival services form this theme song:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...8ED4140D0A59CA5FF56E8ED4140D0A59CA5&FORM=VIRE
We sang that at the brownsville revival.
Very anointed.
But there was new songs birthed by the Holy Spirit. Even more powerful

Steve used Duncan Campbell a lot in his preaching.

Jul 23, 2018
Part of any move of God is mockers ,scoffers,and toxic reaction.
This thread demonstrates God has moved in times past. Those toxic comments by some,ironically,confirm Gods mighty hand.

Jul 23, 2018
Steve Hill was in David Wilkersons program teen challenge after his conversion.
Wilkerson reacted very negatively to the Brownsville Revival.
His brother Don came to check us out.
Don loved the revival and pleaded with dave to reconsider. Then Mike Brown Came and became part of the revival. Both eventually convinced Dave to back off.

See how even the men of God persecute the move of God.

Azusa was the same. R A Torey persecuted the Azusa revival.

Men are fickle.
We are fickel.

Jul 23, 2018
I have heard of Azusa Street and pastor Seymour. I read up on several revivals a few years back,but I could use a refresher on it. I was in a church one time where Billy Sunday preached. I have a picture of my father standing behind the pulpit. I don't think we've seen a true revival in many,many years. But most people don't really know what revival is. They think if they have a good time in church a couple Sunday's they're having a revival. Not true. A true revival will see sinners saved,inside and outside the church.
Yes
Even witnessing is easy. Folks can see the glory on you as you are "pickled"in his presence and power.
Just invite them in and ...WHAM!!! They get "hit" with the power.
I saw a young man crying during a meeting. He was writhing in agony as the devil told him "you can't get saved". I tried to help him,but his heart was so hard. Those types have to get prayer and the devil broke off them..

Jul 23, 2018
Historic Revivals and What Triggers Them

What triggers them is a hunger. A desperate hunger that can not be satisfied by anything but God's manifest presence.
Insatiable hunger. A relentless pursuit.
I saw this.
There is nothing on this planet like it.
I sold everything.
Relocated the family to pensacola,started a fledgeling business in a barn,and lived in a fifthwheel. All 5 of us.
It was awesome.
We were like swiss family Robinson on God's island.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
What triggers them is a hunger. A desperate hunger that can not be satisfied by anything but God's manifest presence.
Insatiable hunger. A relentless pursuit.
I saw this.
There is nothing on this planet like it.
I sold everything.
Relocated the family to pensacola,started a fledgeling business in a barn,and lived in a fifthwheel. All 5 of us.
It was awesome.
We were like swiss family Robinson on God's island.[/QUOTE]
Good point/comment.
---
It is "spiritual hunger" factor/question.
- How desperate are you for His presence?
It means that you need to come out..from "comfort zone".
That is why many people are not willing..
- Because they are very comfortable where they are!

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
I'd like to share some definitions... I found/read.
- about "Revival and Awakening."
----
The word "revival" comes from the Latin word 'revivere" meaning
to live, to return to consciousness or a renewal of fervour.
----
The Greek word for revival is anazorpuero, which means to stir up or
rekindle a fire..to keep in full flame.
---
The word "revival" is used to explain an outpouring of Holy Spirit,
a visitation of His Spirit..etc.
---
An "Awakening" is a revival that covers more area.. regional/country.
Some revivals are more like awakenings.
"Welsh Revival" is one of those.
- It covered/swept across the land and even had impact in overseas.
---
I am currently working on book project - "Mission" theme.
- One part of the book is on "Awakening and Renewal movement."
That is why I have interest in History of Revivals/Awakenings!

Blessings,

Jul 23, 2018
I'd like to share some definitions... I found/read.
- about "Revival and Awakening."
----
The word "revival" comes from the Latin word 'revivere" meaning
to live, to return to consciousness or a renewal of fervour.
----
The Greek word for revival is anazorpuero, which means to stir up or
rekindle a fire..to keep in full flame.
---
The word "revival" is used to explain an outpouring of Holy Spirit,
a visitation of His Spirit..etc.
---
An "Awakening" is a revival that covers more area.. regional/country.
Some revivals are more like awakenings.
"Welsh Revival" is one of those.
- It covered/swept across the land and even had impact in overseas.
---
I am currently working on book project - "Mission" theme.
- One part of the book is on "Awakening and Renewal movement."
That is why I have interest in History of Revivals/Awakenings!

Blessings,
It seems we are overdue for revival.
Times square church was the first one i attended in the early nineties. We were so dry having come out of the charismatic revival that ended in the early eighties.
I traveled to ny about 20 times. When i was home, i was on the phone looking for cheap tickets.
Then sometime later,around 93 or so the Holy laughter broke out at my mothers church. I poo pooed it and she insisted i come and see it.
Was i ever wrong. It didnt hit me at her church,but i knew i was in a move of God. About a week later in san antonio i got hit with many others.. It was like A Holy Spirit re-baptising. So incredible.
Then,thank you Jesus,it hit our chuch. Wow,what a ride!
Then about 95 or so,we got some vhs tapes of the brownsville revival.
(The biggie)
It was bigger than anything at that point. So powerful,my children were touched big time. 3 of them rededicated their lives to God.
Wow,wow,wow.
The brownsville revival died over leadership. A heavy hand. Heavy handed mean leadership....and money.
Several million dollar budget was too much to handle.
So,it waned after about 4 or 5 years.
Which was a lot,considering they did 5 or 6 meetings a week. Each meeting about 5 to 7 hours long.
Most of the staff was volunteer.
So,you can see we have had a longer than normal dry spell. Almost 20 years

Jul 23, 2018
The "problem" with revival is,you loose your life and church.
It is never the same. And you are never the same.
If you plug in,you have no more personal life. It is hard to describe.
Recently on charisma they told of a revival. It had much potential. But the leadership decided "it was not sustaianable" rolleyes.
Dear God.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
The church's greatest need is for a genuine national revival. Most Christians believe they long for a revival, but they show by their actions that actually don't. If they did, they'd have a passionate longing to know how historical revivals come, but in my experience, very few believers are interested enough to thoroughly research the matter. The videos I'm going to post on this thread have had a greater impact on me than any other online videos. Just watch this one on the great Welsh Revival of 1904-05:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...EE1F161A7FC37C579266EE1F161A7FC37C5&FORM=VIRE
The key to revivals is simply prayer and fasting.