Grrrr

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
JesusMyOnly said:
I like to observe what everyone is doing.
I'm very much the same. I don't mind engaging, I'm just quiet and a bit of a melancholy soul. :o
 
I have never really understood this "friend" thing. I will always accept friendships, but hardly ever friend someone because I don't get it. I consider most of you my friends, and what difference is there if you send out a friend request? I haven't noticed that anything happens other than they accept. I still can message anyone I want, and I read most of the threads.

So, please tell me, what is the advantage of having a lot of friends? Who even sees who many friends you have?

Your friend,
Joi

Yeah I have to admit I don't quite understand the "friend thing" either. I have only 13 "friends" on my list but I am friends with and have talked with many other people.

As to the OP I truly wouldn't worry about those "friend requests" that you haven't responded too. I highly doubt those people are thinking you don't like them. In my mind it's not a big deal cause I can send anyone a message anyway :)

I would say if your too uncomfortable accepting a request after its been a while don't let it bother you.
 
Thats the thing, I guess because I'm naturally laid back and lazy, quiet and timid I am considered an introvert. But I get energy from extroverts. I might not take complete part in a conversation but I enjoy hearing commotion all around.


For example in class, the students would be taking part in participating and being noisey, so on so forth. I would just sit there the entire time, having moved around in my seat maybe five times not making any noise. I was scared to take part in their conversation but I enjoyed hearing everyone talk. Its like I was completely invisible. Which was fine by me.
I like to observe what everyone is doing.


In real life I am horribly afraid of people themsevles even when they have given me no reason to be afraid. I can't even say hi or smile to someone without wanting crawl into a ditch, covering myself with dirt. XD I'll dodge walking by people if I can and if I have to walk past them I end up holding my breath as if its some way to go unoticed. Here at CC, I have plenty of friends on the friends list. However I don't talk to a bunch of them and its not on purpose. I have added people because I enjoy their posts and they seem like they could teach me a lot. I also want people to understand I'm here for them and can put my foolish shyness aside to help.
Hi, JesusMyOnly.

I don't mean to pry, but I cannot help but wonder if you've faced a lot of rejection in your life, whether genuine or just perceived, because what you just described sounds a lot like how I used to be. If I ever needed to speak, then my head would literally spin and I honestly felt as if I was going to pass out. Without even being aware of it at the time, for most of my life I walked with my head down and looking at the ground. Several years back God began to show me what my problem was and, more importantly, what the solution was...being rooted and grounded in the love of Christ, regardless of what others may or may not think of me. In fact, the following verse was literally life changing for me:

"Who, when he was reviled, reviled not again; when he suffered, he threatened not; but committed himself to him that judgeth righteously:" (I Peter 2:23)

I mean, if you look at Jesus' life here on earth, then you cannot help but notice how that people were always trying to catch Him in His words, accusing Him of having a demon, of being a Samaritan (there's significance to that), calling Him a deceiver, plotting to kill Him, etc., etc., etc. Of course, Jesus had done nothing amiss, so all of the same was coming upon Him unjustly. How did He cope and overcome? Well, simply put, He always looked upward to get His Father's assessment of Him or He always "committed Himself to Him that judges righteously". It took me a while, but I've learned to do the same.

Anyhow, for whatever it's worth, in my short time here, I've find some of your posts to be the most refreshing in that they seem to be the most sincere.

Have a blessed night in the Lord.
 
I'd say with 716 and growing I got no problem with adding a friend or 2... I am pretty trusting.

anigif_enhanced-buzz-8121-1360604248-6.gif
 
I have never really understood this "friend" thing. I will always accept friendships, but hardly ever friend someone because I don't get it. I consider most of you my friends, and what difference is there if you send out a friend request? I haven't noticed that anything happens other than they accept. I still can message anyone I want, and I read most of the threads.

So, please tell me, what is the advantage of having a lot of friends? Who even sees who many friends you have?

Your friend,
Joi

I started out making friends as it showed me where they were chatting and I in the beginning of my CC experience I seemed to be a day or two behind the chat in a thread. So making friends led me to the action of chat in the moment and I felt that I had caught up to where the people were. So with a bunch of friends I can now go anywhere day or night to where the action is and become part of that chat. Not to mention that there are real people behind each friend request....It's fun and active.
 
No longer being the shy type, I cannot help but to state how this conversation has reminded me of the following:

John chapter 15

[13] Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends.
[14] Ye are my friends, if ye do whatsoever I command you.
[15] Henceforth I call you not servants; for the servant knoweth not what his lord doeth: but I have called you friends; for all things that I have heard of my Father I have made known unto you.


May we all, myself included, be found on Jesus' "friends list" in the end in that He's not only laid down His life for us and in that we've not only had that which He heard of the Father made known unto us, but in that we've also done whatsoever He has commanded us to do. IOW, a true "friendship" requires actions on both sides.

Amen.
 
I get a lot of people who I've never interacted on here asking me to be their friend. I say, ok, maybe I shouldn't but you know I don't want to hurt someone's feelings. I think maybe people like my cat avatars, just kidding.
 
Hilariously CC is actually the one place where I am super bold about talking to people, but adding them is a different story. I have to at least talk to them first, otherwise I feel like a creeper just adding them out of the blue.
 
JesusMyOnly said:
Does anyone have the same problem as me? Where you are too afraid to add someone on CC to your friends list?...There are a certain few tho, who, because I put it off to add them (because of shyness) I've become too afraid to add them.
So now begs the question: Who were/are you afraid to add, and are you still too shy to do so after making this thread? :p
 
I'd say with 716 and growing I got no problem with adding a friend or 2... I am pretty trusting.

More friends than I'd ever obtain in at least ten life times. Including certain social networks, which often I wouldn't add random folks on let alone talk to the ones I know.
 
Does anyone have the same problem as me? Where you are too afraid to add someone on CC to your friends list?


I was born naturally quiet and timid. So around everyone I meet I'm pretty shy. I can add people here and start conversations with them on CC even if it isn't the easiest thing for me to do. This is because I've met many wonderful people here and they are so kind. So I can kinda force myself to be brave. There are a certain few tho, who, because I put it off to add them (because of shyness) I've become too afraid to add them.

I have posted on forums since the late 90s when I was fairly naïve about the genre. I made friends too readily and gave away rather too much information about myself, and it came back to bite me BIG TIME. Unless you have actually met someone in person you can't know if they are who they say they are, even if they claim to be Christians. I was stalked by one so called Christian, and had unpleasant experiences with others. I suspect one of them sent me several anonymous letters ten years ago. The most stupid thing I did was to fall for a 'born again' Christian's tale of woe. She lived in Florida and I felt sorry for her because she seemed to be going through a very bad patch with her children and grandchildren. I decided to help her out financially and sent her, in several batches, the equivalent of £1000 in US dollars. When she realised no more would be forthcoming she made an excuse to fall out with me! I later discovered that others had fallen for her tale of woe and been similarly treated. As you can imagine my husband and kids weren't exactly thrilled to discover how silly I had been! You can imagine my response when I received an e-mail from her about 3 years ago, claiming that she had landed at Heathrow airport (London), had her purse stolen and could I put £2,000 into her bank account, YEH RIGHT!!!!! I might be stupid, but not that stupid!

My advice is to be very careful whom you befriend in cyber-space, because it isn't reality and you don't know if they are genuine.
 
What's weird is that in person I am naturally very shy. I'm afraid of talking to people, especially those of my own age. But while I'm online, I feel a little more confident and talk more. It's strange. I guess the internet is less scary than face to face interaction for me. I have more friends online than I do in person. This isn't necessarily a good thing. I would like to get better at face to face interaction but I suppose it's just going to take time.
 
What's weird is that in person I am naturally very shy. I'm afraid of talking to people, especially those of my own age. But while I'm online, I feel a little more confident and talk more. It's strange.
It's not weird or strange at all; you hit it on the head when you said:

I guess the internet is less scary than face to face interaction for me.
I hope your things with your interpersonal/face-to-face interactions improve! Online relationships are fine, but they are no substitute for the real thing. :)