Guns and worship.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Should churches have gun carrying security?

• Yes security should be present and armed.

Votes: 9 64.3%
  • No,security should not be visible and armed.

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Other,I’ll explain.

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Dec 9, 2011
Should churches have security,I’m not talking about cameras but I mean gun carrying security?

Feb 5, 2017
Should one live in constant paranoia? Where is God then?

Dec 9, 2011
Should one live in constant paranoia? Where is God then?
Some might be paranoid because of fear and some might actually be concerned about the flock but either way It’s sad.

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
My church (along with some other churches) in my area have security teams which are made up of off duty cops and some retired cops that conceal and carry at church. Would God expect us to defend ourselves at church? Would that be paranoia or common sense? We're not in Mayberry anymore.

Dec 9, 2011
I agree but some might think that they can’t praise GOD sincerely with their minds In fear and doubt,but I guess members will get use to It and know that It’s needful In this day and time.

Side note:I think as long as the security has their weapon concealed,It would be good.

Last edited:

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I always have a weapon.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Did they have guards at the temple in time of trouble, or were the priests left to die?

A friend of mine does security consulting for churches. He takes in the situation and makes recommendations. My uncle is one of the people in the congregation that will probably have a gun on him somewhere.

Me, I've never fired a gun. Shooting starts, I'm going under the pew.

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Did they have guards at the temple in time of trouble, or were the priests left to die?

A friend of mine does security consulting for churches. He takes in the situation and makes recommendations. My uncle is one of the people in the congregation that will probably have a gun on him somewhere.

Me, I've never fired a gun. Shooting starts, I'm going under the pew.
Apparently the shooter in Texas walked from pew to pew, shooting those on the floor.

We don't have pews. We have rows of stackable chairs, that can be moved, if needed, giving us options for other ways to use our auditorium...

Interestingly, our "executive minister" (not sure exactly what all that entails :confused: ) just sent a broadcast email out, explaining what has been done in past year, and more recently, to help ensure safety at our building.

This was not the first "church shooting", you know. Just the worst...

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Guns? Cameras yes, locks yes but guns? You know I once went to this church a couple times it was life church I loved that church but only got to go when I could get a ride which wasn't every often. They had a couple of cops there keeping watch and maybe they had guns I am not sure i didn't really look to check but I find it ad when we can't even go to church without the need of such extremes

Dec 9, 2011
I always have a weapon.
Is It concealed?For the sake of your neighbor keeping a good conscience towards GOD when worshiping,IMO,guns should be concealed and as far as the person that’s carrying a concealed weapon then that would be between the person carrying and GOD.

Dec 9, 2011
Guns? Cameras yes, locks yes but guns? You know I once went to this church a couple times it was life church I loved that church but only got to go when I could get a ride which wasn't every often. They had a couple of cops there keeping watch and maybe they had guns I am not sure i didn't really look to check but I find it ad when we can't even go to church without the need of such extremes
I saw this post by a former member here and It might speak on something to think about.

In light of the 2nd amendment and gun laws, what is Jesus word on the matter?

should we christians be against guns of for guns? OR should our faith(protection) only be with God?

Ephesians 6:11-16

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand.

14 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness;

15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

16 Above all, taking the shield of faith, wherewith ye shall be able to quench all the fiery darts of the wicked.

E

Ellsworth1943

When Nehemiah was rebuilding the wall in Jerusalem, He had half the men working with their weapons by their side while the other half stood guard. There were always armed men on guard even during the worship.
We live in a wicked world and to protect ourselves and our families is not ungodly.

D

Depleted

Should churches have security,I’m not talking about cameras but I mean gun carrying security?
759 people have been killed in churches in the US from 1/1/99 to 8/30/17. That's 18 a year, but given we just had another one in Texas, let's bring it up 20.

As on 2012, there were 384,000 church in the US.

Really? A church needs to hire security?

I'm kind of thinking that's why it's losing its relevance in the US. Hire security, but don't help the people. If you can afford security, you can afford missionaries that help people find reasons not to go shooting others.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I voted yes, but really didn't like the way the option was worded because of the "should". IMO opinion each congregation "should" diligently seek the Lord for guidance as to how to approach the issue.

I know that a couple of the larger (mega-church) churches in town do maintain armed security during services. Back in '07, New Life Church had 2 persons killed and several other wounded prior to the shooter being taken out by church security. Had there not been armed security it could have been a massacre.

T

Tinuviel

Like in most situations, I don't feel there is necessarily a need for organized security. I think that people should be allowed/encouraged to carry, the same way I think everyone should be allowed/encouraged to carry in every situation they find themselves in.

E

Ellsworth1943

I voted yes, but really didn't like the way the option was worded because of the "should". IMO opinion each congregation "should" diligently seek the Lord for guidance as to how to approach the issue.

I know that a couple of the larger (mega-church) churches in town do maintain armed security during services. Back in '07, New Life Church had 2 persons killed and several other wounded prior to the shooter being taken out by church security. Had there not been armed security it could have been a massacre.
It is a sad state when people can not worship in safety. But it is what it is.
Churches that meet in public places are easy targets for those intent on robbing or just killing others.
I agree each and every congregation should seek God's guidance it this matter.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Like in most situations, I don't feel there is necessarily a need for organized security. I think that people should be allowed/encouraged to carry, the same way I think everyone should be allowed/encouraged to carry in every situation they find themselves in.
Unfortunately, in some states churches (like schools, courthouses, etc) are mandated as gun free zones by law. In those states churches only have the option to hire licensed security officers.

T

Tinuviel

Unfortunately, in some states churches (like schools, courthouses, etc) are mandated as gun free zones by law. In those states churches only have the option to hire licensed security officers.
That's what I meant by "allowed" I guess. What ever came of the separation of church and state? :rolleyes:

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
That's what I meant by "allowed" I guess. What ever came of the separation of church and state? :rolleyes:
I think that in those states the laws actually date back to a very different era when bringing a weapon into a house of worship would have been viewed as sacriledge and there was enough honor among criminals that they wouldn't think of targeting a house of worship.

Innerfire89

Aug 23, 2017
I see it no differently than carrying a gun or having security anywhere else.