Halloween...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Same answer as always and yet always ignored or made excuses for.
If people want to complain about the "pagan roots" of things why isn't it Only holidays? Our daily lives have plenty of elements with pagan roots and yet no one is willing to give up those. They simply pick and choose which pagan roots elements they are willing to give up. Sounds convenient to only think the easiest ones need to be given up.
So many speak against pagan roots of holidays while wearing wedding rings, which is a pagan tradition, they still won't give them up though.
When these people live it out 100% and not just when it's an easy platform to get attention then maybe I'll take them seriously. Until then it's just people saying one thing and doing another.
Don't forget our weekly calendar days being originally names for different cultures god's and goddesses.

https://yahushua-thechiefcornerstone.com/days-of-the-week/

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I honestly don’t know how Christian families, can encourage their
children to dress up a as vampires, zombies, witches etc. Over in the UK it’s
not very nice or healthy at all. It’s a celebration of horror.
What part of the UK are you in?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
The church I attend started collecting food for the local food bank on Halloween about ten or twelve years ago. Now it's a big event for us, as we involve about 450 volunteers and collect, sort, and box up over 50,000 pounds of food, which meets over 40% of the annual need at the food bank. Conveniently, it also allows me to skip the silliness of the secular holiday.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
The church I attend started collecting food for the local food bank on Halloween about ten or twelve years ago. Now it's a big event for us, as we involve about 450 volunteers and collect, sort, and box up over 50,000 pounds of food, which meets over 40% of the annual need at the food bank. Conveniently, it also allows me to skip the silliness of the secular holiday.
Praise the Lord!

There are retailers in America called, "Dollar Tree", dollar stores. Everything is just $1.00. At Christmas and prior to the school start season their stores nationwide accept their own purchased inventory as donations for school age children of military service personnel. They collect for the local food banks during Thanksgiving and Christmas season.
Our public libraries in all counties collect all year round. As do most of the churches. It's a beautiful thing.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I didnt forget. I simply stopped wasting my time because such people Never listen. Always full of excuses. No point in banging your head against a brick wall trying to move it.
I don't see it as beating my head against a wall, though that goes a long way to explain the knot.

Rather, I see it as an exercise in assurance that new arrivals won't think the errant information is correct. Which can happen if no one bothers to rebut with facts.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
I don't see it as beating my head against a wall, though that goes a long way to explain the knot.

Rather, I see it as an exercise in assurance that new arrivals won't think the errant information is correct. Which can happen if no one bothers to rebut with facts.
Well I did rebut. I simply didn't waste my time taking it further. That's 8 years experience on this site talking :eek:

M

Miri

It’s really bad where I am, I tie up the garden gate to deter the trick or treaters,
but it just gets cut through. Either that or they lean over the wall from the neighbours
and knock on the door that way.

My poor aunt has dementia, so you can imagine how awful it is for her when
she keeps hearing knocks on the door. It scares her.

People don’t consider what it’s like for elderly or disabled people who keep getting kids
knocking at their door all evening. It should be banned.

Each year I hope the weather is bad and it’s pouring it down with rain, it’s the only
things that keeps them away.

One year some parents came around with their young kids, who proceeded to knock on the
door, then started kicking it when they got no reply. I was so angry I went out and firmly
told them to go away and stop kicking the door, it’s bad manners.

Their father went mental saying you can’t talk to my kids like that! What! Your in my
garden creating a nuisance and actually you are right it’s you I should be telling off as you
are stood watching them!

Absolutely hate Halloween - in case you haven’t noticed. Lol

M

Miri

https://www.silverdoctors.com/headl...s-celebrate-halloween-and-why-you-should-not/

This article refers to America, but it’s the same in other parts of the world too.

Halloween night is one of the biggest nights of the year for witches, occultists and Satanists. All over America, those that are deep into the dark arts will be contacting the dead, casting spells and conducting blood sacrifices. As you will see below, there is a reason why animal shelters across the country ban the adoption of black cats this time of the year. But even our “innocent” Halloween traditions such as dressing up in costumes, “trick or treating” and carving jack-o’-lanterns all have their roots in ancient pagan practices. And every year the costumes for our young girls become even more sexually suggestive, the horror movies become even more demonic, and the public’s fascination with the occult just continues to grow. It truly is a festival of death, but most people don’t seem to care. In fact, experts are telling us that Halloween has now become America’s second biggest holiday.

On the Wiccan calendar, Samhain is one of the most important points on “the wheel of the year”. Wiccans believe that it is the day when “the god dies”, and subsequently they celebrate his rebirth at Yule.
It is also a time when they believe that the veil between the living and the dead is the thinnest, and so it is an opportune time for them to contact the dead. The following is much more on what Wiccans believe about Samhain from wicca.com…
Samhain, (pronounced SOW-in, SAH-vin, or SAM-hayne) means “End of Summer”, and is the third and final Harvest. The dark winter half of the year commences on this Sabbat.​
It is generally celebrated on October 31st, but some traditions prefer November 1st. It is one of the two “spirit-nights” each year, the other being Beltane. It is a magical interval when the mundane laws of time and space are temporarily suspended, and the Thin Veil between the worlds is lifted. Communicating with ancestors and departed loved ones is easy at this time, for they journey through this world on their way to the Summerlands. It is a time to study the Dark Mysteries and honor the Dark Mother and the Dark Father, symbolized by the Crone and her aged Consort.​

You may not want to believe it, but animals will be killed and little children will be abused on Halloween night. The following is what one ex-witch has sharedregarding her experiences…
My parents told me before we went around the neighborhood we were going to go by the church (Mormon Church) to get some candy there. The church was very close to my grandmother’s house, and I knew so from going often.​
We went to the church and what happened next made my blood curdle. I was given candy, but that was just a preclude to the sexual abuse that would happen in a satanic ritual. On Halloween Satanists use young children, such as myself, as sexual idols to worship. Other children receive a far worse fate. Death. I know for some this is more than you can even think to believe, but it is true. I can barely write these words because the pain of the truth is almost more than I can bear. If it wasn’t for the grace and love of Jesus Christ, I would not even be here writing this at all.​

For the record, Satanists absolutely love Halloween. The following comes from the official Church of Satan website…
Satanists embrace what this holiday has become, and do not feel the need to be tied to ancient practices. This night, we smile at the amateur explorers of their own inner darkness, for we know that they enjoy their brief dip into the pool of the “shadow world.” We encourage their tenebrous fantasies, the candied indulgence, and the wide-ranging evocation of our aesthetics (while tolerating some of the chintzy versions), even if it is but once a year. For the rest of the time, when those not of our meta-tribe shake their heads in wonder at us, we can point out that they may find some understanding by examining their own All Hallows Eve doings, but we generally find it simpler to just say: “Think of the Addams Family and you’ll begin to see what we’re about.”​

Dec 12, 2013
I think it's a stupid, commercial day that is slowly becoming more popular here in Australia so people can spend more money on junk.

I can't stand it and my children won't participate.
I agree....when I was a kid, we lived in a neighborhood that had about 100 houses....I would make the rounds, go home, change costumes and go again.....haha.....taught me a fine lesson on being covetous!! (Sic)

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
G

Godsgirl83

Praise the Lord!

There are retailers in America called, "Dollar Tree", dollar stores. Everything is just $1.00. At Christmas and prior to the school start season their stores nationwide accept their own purchased inventory as donations for school age children of military service personnel. They collect for the local food banks during Thanksgiving and Christmas season.
/QUOTE]

I won't ever purchase/give @ the Dollar Tree

Years ago I worked @ a Dollar Tree
They have items at check out that are "donations" people buy and it gets thrown into a box.......
the box ends up in the pile of stuff to restock!!!!! I don't know if the money paid for those items ever makes it to the organizations it claims to support or not but I got written up more than once for refusing to restock stuff from the donation box. (that was YEARS ago, right after high school different state than I live now)

Last year, (here where I am... many states away from above story) I saw them restocking items from the donation box and if looks could kill..... the manager @ our local store would have done so.
I was checking out and when she asked if I'd like to purchase an item for military families in need (and being a military kid myself then seeing this happen, I was not to happy......)
well being this was the only register open and there was a long line behind me, I didn't want to make a scene, but smiled and kindly told her (in a voice just loud enough to be overheard by the next few behind me, NOT the whole line.....)
that I know the items go back onto their store shelves and that when I get ready to contribute to help military families (or ANY organization for that matter) that it would be through a reputable organization so that I would KNOW it was being put where it is intended.
Ohhh the dirty look she gave me was PRICELESS.......
like I said, I dunno if the money paid for the items ever makes it to help the people or not, but why not just ask for monetary donations instead, if the items are not actually going to be given?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I LOVE the Dollar Tree. I can stock up on EVERYTHING for my fridge/ freezer and house. It beats paying 5x the price at Price Chopper or Shaws..

G

Godsgirl83

I LOVE the Dollar Tree. I can stock up on EVERYTHING for my fridge/ freezer and house. It beats paying 5x the price at Price Chopper or Shaws..
I have nothing against shopping @ Dollar Tree, just wont ever give them a cent in the name of "donation"

Ruby123

Mar 1, 2019
Halloween is not a huge affair in Australia, thank God.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
I won't ever purchase/give @ the Dollar Tree

Years ago I worked @ a Dollar Tree
They have items at check out that are "donations" people buy and it gets thrown into a box.......
the box ends up in the pile of stuff to restock!!!!! I don't know if the money paid for those items ever makes it to the organizations it claims to support or not but I got written up more than once for refusing to restock stuff from the donation box. (that was YEARS ago, right after high school different state than I live now)

Last year, (here where I am... many states away from above story) I saw them restocking items from the donation box and if looks could kill..... the manager @ our local store would have done so.
I was checking out and when she asked if I'd like to purchase an item for military families in need (and being a military kid myself then seeing this happen, I was not to happy......)
well being this was the only register open and there was a long line behind me, I didn't want to make a scene, but smiled and kindly told her (in a voice just loud enough to be overheard by the next few behind me, NOT the whole line.....)
that I know the items go back onto their store shelves and that when I get ready to contribute to help military families (or ANY organization for that matter) that it would be through a reputable organization so that I would KNOW it was being put where it is intended.
Ohhh the dirty look she gave me was PRICELESS.......
like I said, I dunno if the money paid for the items ever makes it to help the people or not, but why not just ask for monetary donations instead, if the items are not actually going to be given?
Why would you trust DT to take the monetary donations to those it is promised for if as you say the store you worked at couldn't be trusted to give merchandise donations customers had paid for?

I'm going to contact DG Corporate and see about this. It's interesting in what you observed because last year I was at one of the Dollar Tree stores but it was far from my home. I stopped in looking for a housecleaning item and happened to go down the children's aisle.
There was a woman there with a cart full of toys putting them back on the shelves and hooks.

My gut wrenched when I saw that. Contrary to that little voice of intuition that often speaks to me, I didn't do what it said and ask what all that was about. Though it did cross my mind about it being stock that donors had paid for. Because DT puts out at their check-out items from that section during their fund drive. And those items in her cart looked to be those very same kind of items going back where they came from.

As far as the food donations go, I will say I have seen the local Food Bank truck stopped at Dollar Tree's here. And the driver and manager of each store is bringing out boxes of non-perishables. So at least it appears they're keeping their promise in that regard.

Thanks for the information because it goes with what I witnessed last year. I won't be so quick to donate to their drive this time until I find out what's up with Corporate. If they bother to answer. I did notice that the local stores didn't ask for school supply donations for military family kids this year prior to the school year start.
I wonder when Christmas comes around if they'll ask for toy donations?
Maybe what you said aloud in your store got peoples attention and people started talking. All it takes is one voice to start a movement. ;)

Thank you again.