Ham

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
Did Ham, Noah's son, sleep with his wife? Yes a bit controversial but genuine question :cautious: Why did Noah curse Ham's son Canaan?

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Did Ham, Noah's son, sleep with his wife? Yes a bit controversial but genuine question :cautious: Why did Noah curse Ham's son Canaan?

Ham is innocent, which is why he was never cursed. Canaan was the guilty party.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Why did Noah curse Ham's son Canaan?

It's apparently God's sovereign prerogative to slam not only the sinner, but
also the sinner's posterity.

For example: all of Adam's posterity is doomed to death because of his
tasting the forbidden fruit (Rom 5:12) and David's little boy was doomed
because of his papa's murderous tryst with another man's wife. (2Sam 12:14)

It is my sincere conviction that the Jews who perished in the Holocaust did
so not especially because of their own sins, but primarily because of the
accumulation of sins committed by their ancestors.

Ex 34:6-7 . . Then The Lord passed by in front of Moses and proclaimed:
The Lord, The Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and
abounding in loving-kindness and truth; who keeps loving-kindness for
thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no
means leave the guilty unpunished: visiting the iniquity of fathers on the
children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.
_

studentoftheword

Nov 12, 2021
Did Ham, Noah's son, sleep with his wife?
Some Scholars have said that maybe this happened ----they refer to Leviticus 20:11 as their go to scripture -----

Leviticus 20:11
English Standard Version

11 If a man lies with his father’s wife, he has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Personally I do not agree with this ----as Ham saw his father laying naked and did nothing to cover him up ---he just called to his brothers who came and then walked backwards so as not to see and they covered him up -----so to me this fails on the account of Ham sleeping with the wife ---- as the 2 brothers came and covered him up ---this shows that Noah was laying naked not that his nakedness was uncovered -----

n
Why did Noah curse Ham's son Canaan?
It was Ham who did nothing to help his Father's shameful nakedness and by looking upon his nakedness as he did he was doing his father an injustice and that was his sin ----

So Ham was in the wrong --- -Not Canaan---- but here is the thing Folks ------Noah and his Sons were Blessed by God --

Genesis 9:1 NIV
God’s Covenant With Noah
9 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth-

I say ------So Ham was Blessed by God -----and what or who God Blesses you cannot Curse ------So Noah had no choice but to Curse Canaan ---Ham was the youngest Son of Noah and Canaan was the youngest Son of Ham so Noah chose Ham's Youngest to pay the price for Ham's sin ------

1641491987970.png

Charlie24

Oct 31, 2021
The scripture doesn't tell us, so it would be speculation as to the reason. I think the point of this and what God wants us to know are the results of this curse.

The scripture does shed light on the results of this curse, and that is what we are to glean from this. IMO.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I believe that Ham did indeed sleep with Noah’s wife. It was an attempt to take control of the family; Reuben did the same thing. The curse is indicative of the fact that though Canaan is the son of Noah’s wife, he is not Noah’s son, and therefore would not share in his blessings.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It’s all explained

“And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.

And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him. And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.”
‭‭Genesis‬ ‭9:22-25‬ ‭

because of what ham did

O

Omegatime

It was Cannan who was cursed before God. Thru the generational line of Cannan came the cities of the plain like Sodom and Gomorrah. Something was done to Noah, not to his wife.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
It was Cannan who was cursed before God. Thru the generational line of Cannan came the cities of the plain like Sodom and Gomorrah. Something was done to Noah, not to his wife.
I find it interesting that from Noah’s 3 sons came the people and one of the three was cursed then and then throughout scripture we’re told a third of mankind would be destroyed

“And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭9:15‬ ‭

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Gen_9:18 And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.

Seems a bit odd that we are told here that Ham is the father of Canaan. IMO this tells me something important about Canaan is going to be revealed.

Gen 9:19 These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
Gen 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
Gen 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

Again, we are told that Ham is the father of Canaan. Someone uncovered Noah in verse 21, then someone, Ham, saw it. He sought the help of his two older brothers.

Gen 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.

The brothers walked backwards so they would not see what Ham saw. Why didn't Ham do this? I believe he was traumatized by what he saw and his brothers were so afraid of seeing it as well that they walked backwards so as to not see what Ham saw and cover this nakedness.

Keep in mind what uncovering a man's nakedness actually means:

Lev 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
Lev 18:6 None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD.
Lev 18:7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.
Lev 18:8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.

K&D commentary on the OT

"The laws against incest are introduced in Lev_18:6 with the general prohibition, descriptive of the nature of this sin, “None of you shall approach to any flesh of his flesh, to uncover nakedness.” The difference between flesh, and flesh, is involved in obscurity, as both words are used in connection with edible flesh (see the Lexicons). “Flesh of his flesh” is a flesh that is of his own flesh, belongs to the same flesh as himself (Gen_2:24), and is applied to a blood-relation, blood-relationship being called (or flesh-kindred) in Hebrew (Lev_18:17). Sexual intercourse is called uncovering the nakedness of another (Eze_16:36; Eze_23:18). The prohibition relates to both married and unmarried intercourse, though the reference is chiefly to the former (see Lev_18:18; Lev_20:14, Lev_20:17, Lev_20:21). Intercourse is forbidden (1) with a mother, (2) with a step-mother, (3) with a sister or half-sister, (4) with a granddaughter, the daughter of either son or daughter, (5) with the daughter of a step-mother, (6) with an aunt, the sister of either father or mother, (7) with the wife of an uncle on the father's side, (8) with a daughter-in-law, (9) with a sister-in-law, or brother's wife, (10) with a woman and her daughter, or a woman and her granddaughter, and (11) with two sisters at the same time."

Lev 20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

In the Hebrew this can also mean "younger grandson", who would be Canaan.

Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

For committing this evil act, Canaan is rightly cursed. Ham is one of the victims here, not a guilty party. Ham is the father of the evil-doer, Canaan.

ewq1938

Oct 18, 2018
Weird how the Bible says Ham and not Canaan?

Actually it's Canaan that was cursed, not Ham. Not one negative word is said about Ham. That's not surprising.

Gen 9:25 And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
Gen_9:18 And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.

Seems a bit odd that we are told here that Ham is the father of Canaan. IMO this tells me something important about Canaan is going to be revealed.

Gen 9:19 These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
Gen 9:20 And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
Gen 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.

Again, we are told that Ham is the father of Canaan. Someone uncovered Noah in verse 21, then someone, Ham, saw it. He sought the help of his two older brothers.

Gen 9:23 And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.

The brothers walked backwards so they would not see what Ham saw. Why didn't Ham do this? I believe he was traumatized by what he saw and his brothers were so afraid of seeing it as well that they walked backwards so as to not see what Ham saw and cover this nakedness.

Keep in mind what uncovering a man's nakedness actually means:

Lev 18:5 Ye shall therefore keep my statutes, and my judgments: which if a man do, he shall live in them: I am the LORD.
Lev 18:6 None of you shall approach to any that is near of kin to him, to uncover their nakedness: I am the LORD.
Lev 18:7 The nakedness of thy father, or the nakedness of thy mother, shalt thou not uncover: she is thy mother; thou shalt not uncover her nakedness.
Lev 18:8 The nakedness of thy father's wife shalt thou not uncover: it is thy father's nakedness.

K&D commentary on the OT

"The laws against incest are introduced in Lev_18:6 with the general prohibition, descriptive of the nature of this sin, “None of you shall approach to any flesh of his flesh, to uncover nakedness.” The difference between flesh, and flesh, is involved in obscurity, as both words are used in connection with edible flesh (see the Lexicons). “Flesh of his flesh” is a flesh that is of his own flesh, belongs to the same flesh as himself (Gen_2:24), and is applied to a blood-relation, blood-relationship being called (or flesh-kindred) in Hebrew (Lev_18:17). Sexual intercourse is called uncovering the nakedness of another (Eze_16:36; Eze_23:18). The prohibition relates to both married and unmarried intercourse, though the reference is chiefly to the former (see Lev_18:18; Lev_20:14, Lev_20:17, Lev_20:21). Intercourse is forbidden (1) with a mother, (2) with a step-mother, (3) with a sister or half-sister, (4) with a granddaughter, the daughter of either son or daughter, (5) with the daughter of a step-mother, (6) with an aunt, the sister of either father or mother, (7) with the wife of an uncle on the father's side, (8) with a daughter-in-law, (9) with a sister-in-law, or brother's wife, (10) with a woman and her daughter, or a woman and her granddaughter, and (11) with two sisters at the same time."

Lev 20:11 And the man that lieth with his father's wife hath uncovered his father's nakedness: both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them.

Gen 9:24 And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.

In the Hebrew this can also mean "younger grandson", who would be Canaan.

For committing this evil act, Canaan is rightly cursed. Ham is one of the victims here, not a guilty party. Ham is the father of the evil-doer, Canaan.
I think this answers my question, thank you. I posted one before. I didn't know you had posted this one.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
I find it interesting that from Noah’s 3 sons came the people and one of the three was cursed then and then throughout scripture we’re told a third of mankind would be destroyed

“And the four angels were loosed, which were prepared for an hour, and a day, and a month, and a year, for to slay the third part of men.”
‭‭Revelation‬ ‭9:15‬ ‭
I always related the third part of men dying to the third of angels that fell

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
Salem was in the vicinity of those city, which happens to be Jerusalem of which Milchizedek was King of, interesting?

Yahshua

Sep 22, 2013
It's possible that it was "an eye for an eye" situation. As Ham (Noah's youngest) shamed him, and so was Canaan (Ham's youngest) cursed to shame him?

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
Actually it's Canaan that was cursed, not Ham. Not one negative word is said about Ham. That's not surprising.

It's funny how I've read this story multiple times before and have heard multiple people always say "Ham" or the "younger son of Noah" ... being cursed etc.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
I believe that Ham did indeed sleep with Noah’s wife. It was an attempt to take control of the family; Reuben did the same thing.
Though I believe it was a concubine? I don't know if she has the same status? As far as to wanting to take control?

The curse is indicative of the fact that though Canaan is the son of Noah’s wife, he is not Noah’s son, and therefore would not share in his blessings.
This is what I was assuming as well.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
It's possible that it was "an eye for an eye" situation. As Ham (Noah's youngest) shamed him, and so was Canaan (Ham's youngest) cursed to shame him?
I hope not, vindictiveness is not good.

VineyardsOfEngedi

Nov 26, 2019
Some Scholars have said that maybe this happened ----they refer to Leviticus 20:11 as their go to scripture -----

Leviticus 20:11
English Standard Version

11 If a man lies with his father’s wife, he has uncovered his father’s nakedness; both of them shall surely be put to death; their blood is upon them.

Personally I do not agree with this ----as Ham saw his father laying naked and did nothing to cover him up ---he just called to his brothers who came and then walked backwards so as not to see and they covered him up -----so to me this fails on the account of Ham sleeping with the wife ---- as the 2 brothers came and covered him up ---this shows that Noah was laying naked not that his nakedness was uncovered -----

n

It was Ham who did nothing to help his Father's shameful nakedness and by looking upon his nakedness as he did he was doing his father an injustice and that was his sin ----

So Ham was in the wrong --- -Not Canaan---- but here is the thing Folks ------Noah and his Sons were Blessed by God --

Genesis 9:1 NIV
God’s Covenant With Noah
9 Then God blessed Noah and his sons, saying to them, “Be fruitful and increase in number and fill the earth-

I say ------So Ham was Blessed by God -----and what or who God Blesses you cannot Curse ------So Noah had no choice but to Curse Canaan ---Ham was the youngest Son of Noah and Canaan was the youngest Son of Ham so Noah chose Ham's Youngest to pay the price for Ham's sin ------

View attachment 234677

It's apparently God's sovereign prerogative to slam not only the sinner, but
also the sinner's posterity.

For example: all of Adam's posterity is doomed to death because of his
tasting the forbidden fruit (Rom 5:12) and David's little boy was doomed
because of his papa's murderous tryst with another man's wife. (2Sam 12:14)

It is my sincere conviction that the Jews who perished in the Holocaust did
so not especially because of their own sins, but primarily because of the
accumulation of sins committed by their ancestors.

Ex 34:6-7 . . Then The Lord passed by in front of Moses and proclaimed:
The Lord, The Lord God, compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, and
abounding in loving-kindness and truth; who keeps loving-kindness for
thousands, who forgives iniquity, transgression and sin; yet He will by no
means leave the guilty unpunished: visiting the iniquity of fathers on the
children and on the grandchildren to the third and fourth generations.
_
I suppose generational curses could be a thing?