Harbor Freight Angle Grinder

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Makita makes good drills as well.
I have one that is over 10 years old and is still going strong.
I've never owned a Makita tool I didn't like.
And of course their calendars are great.

razor17

Aug 16, 2017
I've never owned a Makita tool I didn't like.
And of course their calendars are great.
i've never had their calendar lol, but i do agree their tools are great. Built to last.... which is rare these days for most brands.

stanley also makes good tools although a lot of the brands are moving their forges over to China so the quality/longevity of the tool is less due to inferior steel/iron refinement in china compared to US made tools. A lot of times the tools chip/have fractures due to poor workmanship from china.

M

Miri

I’ve got a black and decker drill as well.

I really could do with getting a new hedge trimmer this year. Something
light and reliable, the current one is a Bosch.

Ive also got this gigantic thing that looks like a massive pen knife but it’s a tree saw.
This is what I did with it last year.

See ladies can do tool talk too. Lol :)

03417EDB-4222-4214-8338-0BC03E9E78AC.jpg

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
Who likes chainsaws?
That was a rhetorical question.

We heat exclusively with wood,
so a good, dependable saw is vital to us.
I'm a Stihl guy.
Right now I have an MS261 C-M, which is a rippin' saw.
When I have an extra grand lying around,
I want to get an MS362 C-M.

I also have a small Poulan that was given
to me by a friend who couldn't get it to run.
I cleaned up the carb and put some
fresh mix in it, and away she went.
It's actually a great little saw.
I use it for tree work in the yard, and for
cutting firewood when we go camping.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013

Ive also got this gigantic thing that looks like a massive pen knife but it’s a tree saw.

Nice place you've got there.
Makita makes this cordless hedge trimmer,
but it only comes with one battery,
so you'd probably want to buy an extra one.
It's always nice not having an electrical
cord fighting with you while you work.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012
Almost all the power tools that I've bought in the last couple of years have been Ridgid from Home Depot. You can't beat a lifetime unlimited warranty that includes batteries for cordless tool sets. The warranty is registered online so you don't have to worry about losing receipts.
I haven't seen a company honor a warranty in 20 years. They always have an out, including "well if you feel that strongly about it you can sue us".

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
I bought a really nice Hitachi Lith ion drill a while back, and had both batteries crap out on it in about a year, with very little use at all. Replacement batteries were going to be a bunch... maybe seventy dollars each? Can't remember exactly, but it was way too much.

I went back to the old standby deWalt, NiCad 18V. It's been rockin along for a couple of years now, and it's been boringly reliable. I can get the hammer drill for that battery system if I want, for about 70 bucks, I think...

I've heard good things about Bosch, and I have quite a few other tools by PorterCable, just not a drill.
Hitachi makes the best nail guns in the industry.
Many of their other products are definitely sub par.

When you say hammer-drill, I'm assuming you mean impact driver?
A hammer drill is for drilling into concrete and masonry.
Yes, you need an impact driver, but I would recommend
dumping the NiCads and springing for a Makita Lithium 18-volt.
Those kits usually come with a drill which has a "hammer
mode" for drilling smaller holes into concrete/masonry.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
I was at Costco and picked up some muffins for us.

costco-muffins.jpg

M

Miri

Nice place you've got there.
Makita makes this cordless hedge trimmer,
but it only comes with one battery,
so you'd probably want to buy an extra one.
It's always nice not having an electrical
cord fighting with you while you work.

I really need to do something with that gravel area this year. I’m undecided
whether to scrape up all the gravel and lay paying stones, get me some cement etc.
Or scrape it up put down a new weed resistant liner, put in new edging etc.

But then I’m thinking if I go with paving I will have to get an angle grinder to
cut them to shape! Lol

hornetguy

Jan 18, 2016
Hitachi makes the best nail guns in the industry.
Many of their other products are definitely sub par.

When you say hammer-drill, I'm assuming you mean impact driver?
A hammer drill is for drilling into concrete and masonry.
Yes, you need an impact driver, but I would recommend
dumping the NiCads and springing for a Makita Lithium 18-volt.
Those kits usually come with a drill which has a "hammer
mode" for drilling smaller holes into concrete/masonry.
Yes... impact driver. I'm not sure what the difference is between impact and hammer, but I'm thinking it has to do with intensity of the impact... never really read up on it.

Back when I was hanging sheetrock, Makita came out with their screwgun at a price point that was better than most everyone else. Most contractors bought 'em 10 or 15 at a time. The were much lighter than a comparable Milwaukee (still have mine) and they seemed to last almost forever. They were a good tool to use all day long.

Tommy379

Notorious Member
Jan 12, 2016
I run dewalt. I have the drill, trim saw, sawzall, 1/2 in impact, the 1/4 impact driver, angle grinder..... I have it in 18v and the 20v lithium ion. I have the attachment to use 20v on my 18v tools. I have never had a problem.

Black and decker, porter cable, and dewalt are all the same company.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Yes... impact driver. I'm not sure what the difference is between impact and hammer, but I'm thinking it has to do with intensity of the impact... never really read up on it.

Impact drivers create a rotational impact whereas a hammer drill creates a linear impact while rotating a drill bit.

The Dewalt branding was created to push Black and Decker into the professional grade tool market. Black and Decker had a pretty bad name among professionals for being inferior homeowner grade tools.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
I was thinking about Miri's hedge, a man would have left it alone and used it for a deer blind........................
they have invaded the man's secret thread.

Aug 2, 2009
Black and decker is ok for home use, but if you plan on using it everyday on heavy use jobs its probably not going to last. Same deal with harbor freight's tools. That's why they are cheaper than those other brands.

Huckleberry

Aug 25, 2013
I've owned tools from all three of those brands at one point or another.
The only one of them I'd buy now is Porter Cable, especially their routers.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I remember,years ago, when I first used a Makita circular saw. I was in the basement, making plywood rips for some polysteel blocks. I was right-handed, and the saw was left-handed, so I ended up cutting the cord-which tripped the main breaker. All the lights in the house went off. My boss was a little upset and said some things I won't repeat here.

Aug 2, 2009

View attachment 180713
I have one of those manual polesaws. They are a pain in the tookus to use. Especially if the branch doesn't stay still. I got me a real polesaw (a small chainsaw on a pole for cutting branches) and never looked back. :rolleyes: