Has the law been put aside? If so, when?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Before... until... until... Now...

Galatians 3:23-25
Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law,
locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed.
So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.
Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

When was the law put aside?
Take your pick. See the list of evidence below.

Question: When was the law put aside?

Answer:

- The law was put aside when John the Baptist arrived.

- The law was put aside when Christ arrived.

- The law was put aside at the Baptism of Christ.

- The law was put aside in the Sermon on the Mount.

- The law was put aside when Jesus was challenged by the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when Jesus challenged the religious leaders.

- The law was put aside when God directed Jesus to do the work of healing on the Sabbath.

- The law was put aside when Jesus spoke to the Rich Young Ruler.

- The law was put aside at the Transfiguration of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Death of Christ.

- The law was put aside at the Resurrection of Christ.

- The law was put aside on the road to Damascus.

- The law was put aside when Jesus commanded, or condoned acts of Sabbath-breaking.

Hevosmies

Sep 8, 2018
No.

The mosaic covenant has been done away with.

The law of Christ is still going, the Abrahamic covenant is still going, the Noah covenant is still going.

A

Ariel82

Before the coming of this faith, we were held in custody under the law, locked up until the faith that was to come would be revealed. 24 So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith.

Answer:

- The law was put aside when God directed Jesus to do the work of healing on the Sabbath.

- The law was put aside when Jesus commanded, or condoned acts of Sabbath-breaking.
The law is put aside when a person is born again and adopted into the family of God...because thar is when we no longer follow the Letter of the Law but the Holy Spirit who shows a deeper understanding of what the law means

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Pau asks, shall we sin more so that grace may abound? gOD FORBID.

Ho can a believer sin at all if the law is no more? Sin is breaking the law.

Some, weak in faith, say that they obey the law in the spirit so they are free of the law.

We are not free of the law unless Jesus Chrsist lied, and He did no. We are free of the curse of the law by the Blood of our blessed and innocent Jesus..
Now if we obey the law in spirit, the law yet exists.

Did Jesus ever teach against obeying the law as it stands after His work that changed how we understand? No!

Jesus also taches He did not destroy the law, only the curse of the law, death.

Anyone here who can read and clames to believe Jesus Christ is free to learn directly from Him, from God, just how we obey God since His blessed and wonderful work..

E

eternally-gratefull

The law has not been put aside, The PENALTY of the law had been set aside to all who believe.

Col 2: And you, being dead in your trespasses and the uncircumcision of your flesh, He has made alive together with Him, having forgiven you all trespasses, 14 having wiped out the handwriting of requirements that was against us, which was contrary to us. And He has taken it out of the way, having nailed it to the cross. 15 Having disarmed principalities and powers, He made a public spectacle of them, triumphing over them in it.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
People need to be clear about Bible terms. The word "law" in the Bible can mean different things depending on context.

So what was put aside? THE OLD COVENANT or the Law of Moses.

Why? Because the perfect and complete sacrifice of Christ on the Cross brought into effect THE NEW COVENANT.

Therefore a close study of the epistle to the Hebrews is imperative for all Christians, especially Hebrew Christians.

P

pottersclay

Sketch.......let me make this as clear as I can. We have died in Christ and risen with Christ the law has no effect on us.
2, we are not Jews but gentiles grafted in.
3, Jesus fulfilled the law for us.
4. We are new creatures.
5 we don't serve the law we serve God.
6. You can never work for salvation it's a free gift.
7, we are of faith and not of works.

P

pottersclay

Sketch.... So if you insist on the law are you dening the power of the gospel?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Sketch.......let me make this as clear as I can. We have died in Christ and risen with Christ the law has no effect on us.
2, we are not Jews but gentiles grafted in.
3, Jesus fulfilled the law for us.
4. We are new creatures.
5 we don't serve the law we serve God.
6. You can never work for salvation it's a free gift.
7, we are of faith and not of works.
That's good. I agree.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Sketch.... So if you insist on the law are you dening the power of the gospel?
It seems you have misunderstood me. I do NOT insist on the law. We are indeed saved by the power of the gospel.
And that's nothing to be ashamed of, right?

Romans 1:16
For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes: first to the Jew, then to the Gentile.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
So, please enlighten us with your views concerning this
Do you believe the law was set aside, or not? I need to know where to begin. Thanks.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
This post is trying to fool around with our faith. Using words, and changing the meaning of those words, is dishonest and anything but Godly. People who know nothing of Christ reads the headlines "the law is done away with it is Okay for Christians to be lawless". Sensationalism!!!!

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
Do you believe the law was set aside, or not? I need to know where to begin. Thanks.
The law is NOT set aside, and that is a fact not a belief. God is eternal and what God said at the moment of creation and what God says today are the very same, God is the I am.

When God gave the ten commandments on Mt Sinai it was the very same commandments Christ explained more fully during the sermon on the Mt., and it is the very same law that is spoken of in Hebrews when we are told that the true law is not the ridged law as stated on Mt Sinai but the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is contained within the law as stated on the stone tablets.

Also!!! The idea that God takes back promises the God makes is false. God is true and you can put your very life in his hands, God is trustworthy. When God states that He will do something the idea that anything he adds to do something more cancels anything God told us before is false. God does NOT take back any word that God gives, humans and devils do that but God does not.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018

Answer:

Hey! Sketch... PTL!
Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, until all is fulfilled.
Before I had faith, I was kept under the law, shut up unto the faith that should afterwards be revealed.
The reason the law is in effect until heaven and earth pass is that even those born during the Millennium are not born with faith, And are therefore under the OT law.

So that the law was put aside for me, when I turned to the Lord in faith. Faith has been around from the beginning because, the just shall live by faith.

Every person born into the world is under the law until they turn to Jesus in faith. So that each person who dies without forgiveness will be judged by the standard found within the OT law.
Otherwise, there is no reason for the law not to have ended when Jesus died and rose from the dead..

Maranatha!

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
The law is NOT set aside, and that is a fact not a belief. God is eternal and what God said at the moment of creation and what God says today are the very same, God is the I am.

When God gave the ten commandments on Mt Sinai it was the very same commandments Christ explained more fully during the sermon on the Mt., and it is the very same law that is spoken of in Hebrews when we are told that the true law is not the ridged law as stated on Mt Sinai but the spirit of the law. The spirit of the law is contained within the law as stated on the stone tablets.

Also!!! The idea that God takes back promises the God makes is false. God is true and you can put your very life in his hands, God is trustworthy. When God states that He will do something the idea that anything he adds to do something more cancels anything God told us before is false. God does NOT take back any word that God gives, humans and devils do that but God does not.
Do you drink fruit juice?

If so, how do you know that it did not come from the tree in the middle of the garden?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011

the Law was never set aside. Jesus fulfilled it. and gentiles were never under it.

so, there is the Law thing in a nutshell. Sabbath keeping for Christ followers is not a required thing for salvation through faith in Christ.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
The Law was fulfilled at the Death of Christ on the cross.

The Power of the Gospel was shown at the Resurrection of Christ.

The Law is not set aside until each individual person is given rest by coming to Christ.

You can't just tell someone that the law has been set aside at some certain point in history because each person is under law until they come to faith in Christ.

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
Hey! Sketch... PTL!
Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, until all is fulfilled.
Before I had faith, I was kept under the law, shut up unto the faith that should afterwards be revealed.
The reason the law is in effect until heaven and earth pass is that even those born during the Millennium are not born with faith, And are therefore under the OT law.

So that the law was put aside for me, when I turned to the Lord in faith. Faith has been around from the beginning because, the just shall live by faith.

Every person born into the world is under the law until they turn to Jesus in faith. So that each person who dies without forgiveness will be judged by the standard found within the OT law.
Otherwise, there is no reason for the law not to have ended when Jesus died and rose from the dead..

Maranatha!
Do you define "under the law" as being under the condemnation of the law?
If so, I do not agree with that definition. There are two scripotures that confirm this for me.
Here is one of them. Why would anyone WANT to be under the condemnation of the law?

Galatians 4:21
Tell me, you who want to be under the law, are you not aware of what the law says?

Sketch

Nov 1, 2018
The Law was fulfilled at the Death of Christ on the cross.

The Power of the Gospel was shown at the Resurrection of Christ.

The Law is not set aside until each individual person is given rest by coming to Christ.

You can't just tell someone that the law has been set aside at some certain point in history because each person is under law until they come to faith in Christ.
Thanks for your reply.

What is the difference between the law being fulfilled and the law being set aside?
The Bible seems to say something different than what you are saying in that regard.