Have you ever seen Acts 2:38 translated like this?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JBTN

Feb 11, 2020
Have your ever seen Acts 2:38 translated like this? I saw a similar translation online and I can’t get it out of my mind. Tell me what you think.

Petros de pros autos, metanoesate kai baptistheto
Peter then to them, change your mind and be immersed

hekastos hymon epi to onomati Lesou Christou
every one of you on the authority of Jesus Christ

eis aphesin ton hamartion hymon kai lempsesthe
into forgiveness of the sins of you and you will receive

ten dorean tou Hagiou Pneumatos.
the gift of the Holy Spirit.

metanoesate = change your mind
baptishtheto = be immersed
epi = on
onomati = name, authority, cause
eis = into

Strong’s definition of baptizo says that Baptizo is used in conjunction with the proposition eis to indicate the medium into which immersion occurs.

This shows the immersion here to be into forgiveness of sins, not into water.

Think about Matthew 26:28
for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

for the forgiveness of sins = eis aphesin hamartion = into forgiveness of sins

eis = into

So, Acts 2:38 talks of immersion into forgiveness of sins, which is exactly where Matthew 26:28 says the blood of the covenant was poured out.

Another interesting verse to consider here is Luke 24:47.

“and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.”

The more common reading of Acts 2:38 leads to an understanding that baptism is for the forgiveness of sins, but here Jesus clearly tells the Apostles that “repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations”. The word “for” is actually eis in Greek. So, it becomes, “a change of mind into forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations.” If you interpret Acts 2:38 as above, all of a sudden it agrees exactly with Luke 24:47.

Jan 17, 2020
Have your ever seen Acts 2:38 translated like this? I saw a similar translation online and I can’t get it out of my mind. Tell me what you think.

epi = on
eis = into

Strong’s definition of baptizo says that Baptizo is used in conjunction with the proposition eis to indicate the medium into which immersion occurs.

for this is my blood of the covenant, which is poured out for many for the forgiveness of sins.

eis = into

So, Acts 2:38 talks of immersion into forgiveness of sins, which is exactly where Matthew 26:28 says the blood of the covenant was poured out.

“and that repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem.”

The more common reading of Acts 2:38 leads to an understanding that baptism is for the forgiveness of sins, but here Jesus clearly tells the Apostles that “repentance for the forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations”. The word “for” is actually eis in Greek. So, it becomes, “a change of mind into forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations.” If you interpret Acts 2:38 as above, all of a sudden it agrees exactly with Luke 24:47.
“Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?” Acts 10:47 (KJV 1900)

notuptome

May 17, 2013
“Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?” Acts 10:47 (KJV 1900)
Water after salvation not as a means to salvation.

Acts 8:30 And Philip ran thither to him, and heard him read the prophet Esaias, and said, Understandest thou what thou readest?
31 And he said, How can I, except some man should guide me? And he desired Philip that he would come up and sit with him.
32 The place of the scripture which he read was this, He was led as a sheep to the slaughter; and like a lamb dumb before his shearer, so opened he not his mouth:
33 In his humiliation his judgment was taken away: and who shall declare his generation? for his life is taken from the earth.
34 And the eunuch answered Philip, and said, I pray thee, of whom speaketh the prophet this? of himself, or of some other man?
35 Then Philip opened his mouth, and began at the same scripture, and preached unto him Jesus.
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?
37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.
39 And when they were come up out of the water, the Spirit of the Lord caught away Philip, that the eunuch saw him no more: and he went on his way rejoicing.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

FlyingDove

Dec 27, 2017
Acts 2:28 my 2 cents:

Acts 19:4 Then said Paul, John verily baptized with the baptism of repentance, saying unto the people, that they should believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus.
(NOTE: John is sent to preach the baptism of repentance. To PREPARE the people to believe on him which should come after him, that is, on Christ Jesus. Through whom the remission/pardon of sin would be realized)

5 On hearing this they were baptized [again, this time] in the name of the Lord Jesus.
(NOTE: Baptized 1st by John pre-sin payment in preparation to meet Jesus & Baptized again post-sin payment in Jesus name for the remission/pardon of sin)

Amplified Bible
Acts 19:
4 Paul said, “John performed a baptism of repentance, continually telling the people to believe in Him who was coming after him, that is, [to confidently accept and joyfully believe] in Jesus [the Messiah and Savior].
(NOTE: The parenthetical emphasis in vrs 4 & 5 are placed by the Amplified Bible & not my own)

5 After hearing this, they were baptized [again, this time] in the name of the Lord Jesus.
(NOTE: Baptized 1st by John pre-sin payment in preparation to meet Jesus & Baptized again post-sin payment in Jesus name for the remission/pardon of sin)

Youngs Literal
Acts 19:
4 And Paul said, `John, indeed, did baptize with a baptism of reformation, saying to the people that in him who is coming after him they should believe -- that is, in the Christ -- Jesus;'

5 When they heard this, they were baptized in the name of the Lord Jesus
(NOTE: They had been Baptized 1st by John, pre-sin payment in preparation to meet Jesus & Baptized again post-sin payment in Jesus name for the remission/pardon of sin)

KJV Dictionary Definition REMISSION: Forgiveness; pardon; that is, the giving up of the punishment due to a crime; as the remission of sins. Matt. 26. Heb. 9.

Heb 9:22 And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission.
(NOTE: Without Christ's shed blood there is NO Remission/Pardon for sins.)

Mat 26:28 For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
(NOTE: It's Belief/faith in Christ's sinless shed blood that provides the Remission/Pardon for sins. NOT the act of repentance or water baptism)

John the Baptist repeated stated purpose: PREPARE the way of the Lord (Isa 40:1-11, Ps 85:9-14, Mal 3:1, Matt 11:10, Mk 1:2) .

John's baptism of repentance: Change your mind & direction towards God. Purify/wash/clean yourself-up outside & inside in PREPARATION of meeting your long time promised Messiah. Who will remiss/forgive/padron your sins.

Levitical law required PREPATATION/purifying/washing/instructions on many occasions: Ex 39:4; Ex 30:19-21; Ex 40:12; Lev 6:27; Lev 13:54, Lev 13:58; Lev 14:8-9; Levs 15:16; Lev 16:4, Lev 16:24; Lev 22:6.

Jacob receives PREPATATION instructions before meeting the Lord at the alter
Gen 35:
1 And God said unto Jacob, Arise, go up to Bethel, and dwell there: and make there an altar unto God,

2 Then Jacob said unto his household, and to all that were with him, Put away the strange gods that are among you, and be clean, and change your garments:
(NOTE: Jacob was to PREPARE/wash-up & change his cloths before meeting the Lord at the alter)

The Lord gives Moses PREPATATION instructions before meeting the Lord on the morrow.
Ex 19:
9 And the Lord said unto Moses, Lo, I come unto thee in a thick cloud, that the people may hear when I speak with thee, and believe thee for ever. And Moses told the words of the people unto the Lord.
(NOTE: The Lord tells Moses I will appear is a thick cloud & speak to the people)

10 And the Lord said unto Moses, Go unto the people, and sanctify them to day and to morrow, and let them wash their clothes,
(NOTE: In preparation of meeting me tomorrow, have the people clean-up)

14 And Moses went down from the mount unto the people, and sanctified the people; and they washed their clothes.
(NOTE: Moses carries out the Lords PREPATATION instructions)

Scripture proclaims, salvation is 1st to the Jew then to the gentile (Rom 1:16, 2:9 & 10)

Acts 13:24 When John had first preached before his coming the baptism of repentance to all the people of Israel.
(NOTE: John the Baptist is sent to preach, the baptism of repentance to All the People of ISRAEL. To Prepare the way (PEOPLE) for the coming LORD. Through whom remission/pardon of sin would be realized)

Acts 2:38 is 100% Jewish doctrine (reread Acts 13:24 above) preached to ALL the people of ISRAEL.

Peter is on the Temple Mt during the 1st post resurrection Pentecost, a mandatory pilgramiage festival. Every male Jew of age was required to travel to the Temple Mt every Passover, Pentecost & Tabernacles

Acts 2: Peter's is speaking to Temple Mt full (millions?) of JEWS:

Acts 2:
5 and there were DWELLING at Jerusalem JEWS,

14 Peter said, YE MEN OF JUDAEA

22 YE MEN OF ISRAEL, hear these words;

36 let ALL the HOUSE OF ISRAEL know, that God made that same Jesus, WHOM YE CRUCIFIED, both Lord and Christ.

Context: REPENT from UNBELIEF/REJECTING (not everyday personal sins) & killing their long promised Messiah/Christ.

There were NO gentiles baptised via the indwelling Holy Spirit on the Temple Mt on the day of Pentecost in Acts 2.

Salvation is 1st to the Jew then to the gentile (Rom 1:16, 2:9 & 10)

The door to salvation isn't opened to Gentiles until 7 yrs after Pentecost. When the Lord sends Peter to Cornelius house (Acts 10). Where gentiles received the indwelling baptism with the Holy Spirit. Just as the Jews had received 7 years earlier on the 1st post resurrection Pentecost. BTW: Christ & Christ alone preforms the baptism/spiritual/covenant sealing of the indwelling Holy Spirit)

The gospel of Jesus Christ that's applicable for today, by which we are saved is:

Christ DIED for your sins (paying sins required wage) was BURIED (proof Jesus died) & was RESURRECTED from the grave (Fathers receipt, sins required payment received & accepted. See 1 Cor 15:1-4)

Salvation is appropriated/siezed thru Faith & Faith alone, placed in the faithful, obedient, finished sin redemptive work & resurrection of Jesus the Christ. (Eph 2:8, Acts 5:1-2, Rom 10:9-10, 1 Cor 15:1-4, Eph 1:13)

Water baptism doesn't remiss/pardon/forgive sin, repentance doesn't remiss/pardon sin, obedience doesn't remiss/pardon sin, sabbath observance doesn't remiss/pardon sin etc, etc, etc.

7seasrekeyed

epi = on
eis = into

eis = into

there are people here who will debate with you from sunrise to sunset and beyond that water forgives sin and if you are not water baptized, you are not saved

they will also often tell you that you must be baptized in Jesus name only and if you were not baptized in Jesus name only, then you must get re-baptized

clearly, ONLY the blood of Jesus cleanses from all sin

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If you interpret Acts 2:38 as above, all of a sudden it agrees exactly with Luke 24:47.
Repentance is for the remission of sins. That is very clear, and also repeated in Acts 3:19: Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

However it is water baptism which Peter is commanding, just as he did in Acts 10. "Be baptized" is a command to the one who believes, but Holy Spirit baptism is supernatural and a gift from God to the one who repents and believes.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015

epi = on
eis = into

eis = into

"In those days Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10As soon as Jesus came up out of the water, He saw the heavens breaking open and the Spirit descending on Him like a dove. 11And a voice came from heaven: “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”

"Or aren’t you aware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4We therefore were buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life."

Baptism was and is done by immersing in water. It figuratively represents the believer dying with Christ and coming up out of the water a new creation in Christ.

Strong's Concordance
baptizó: to dip, sink
Original Word: βαπτίζω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: baptizó
Phonetic Spelling: (bap-tid'-zo)
Definition: to dip, sink
Usage: lit: I dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; I baptize.

HELPS Word-studies
baptízō – properly, "submerge" (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, "dip under"). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion ("immersion"), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai ("sprinkle").

Baptism is the literal immersion in water

notuptome

May 17, 2013
"In those days Jesus came from Nazareth in Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. 10As soon as Jesus came up out of the water, He saw the heavens breaking open and the Spirit descending on Him like a dove. 11And a voice came from heaven: “You are My beloved Son; in You I am well pleased.”

"Or aren’t you aware that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4We therefore were buried with Him through baptism into death, in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may walk in newness of life."

Baptism was and is done by immersing in water. It figuratively represents the believer dying with Christ and coming up out of the water a new creation in Christ.

Strong's Concordance

HELPS Word-studies
baptízō – properly, "submerge" (Souter); hence, baptize, to immerse (literally, "dip under"). 907 (baptízō) implies submersion ("immersion"), in contrast to 472 /antéxomai ("sprinkle").

Water is not the sole medium into which we can be immersed. We can be immersed into the doctrine of Christ. We can be immersed into our thoughts etc.

Two different Greek word are translated baptize in our English NT. Baptizo and bapto.

907 βαπτίζω baptizo bap-tid’-zo
from a derivative of 911; verb; TDNT-1:529,92; {See TDNT 123 }
AV-baptize (76), wash 2, baptist 1, baptized + 2258 1; 80
1) to dip repeatedly, to immerse, to submerge (of vessels sunk)
2) to cleanse by dipping or submerging, to wash, to make clean with water, to wash one’s self, bathe
3) to overwhelm
++++
Not to be confused with 911, bapto. The clearest example that shows
the meaning of baptizo is a text from the Greek poet and physician Nicander, who lived about 200 B.C. It is a recipe for making pickles and is helpful because it uses both words. Nicander says that in order to make a pickle, the vegetable should first be ‘dipped’ (bapto) into boiling water and then ‘baptised’ (baptizo) in the vinegar solution. Both verbs concern the immersing of vegetables in a solution. But the first is temporary. The second, the act of baptising the vegetable, produces a permanent change.
When used in the New Testament, this word more often refers to our union and identification with Christ than to our water baptism. e.g. #Mr 16:16. ‘He that believes and is baptised shall be saved’. Christ is saying that mere intellectual assent is not enough. There must be a union with him, a real change, like the vegetable to the pickle!
(Bible Study Magazine, James Montgomery Boice, May 1989).

For the cause of Christ
Roger

mailmandan

Apr 7, 2014
Repentance is for the remission of sins. That is very clear, and also repeated in Acts 3:19: Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord;

However it is water baptism which Peter is commanding, just as he did in Acts 10. "Be baptized" is a command to the one who believes, but Holy Spirit baptism is supernatural and a gift from God to the one who repents and believes.
Amen! In Acts 2:38, I don't understand water baptism itself being for the remission of sins. I don't see that referring back to both clauses, "you all repent" and "each one of you be baptized," but only to the first. Peter would then be saying "repent unto the remission of your sins," the same as in Acts 3:19. The clause "each one of you be baptized" is parenthetical. This is exactly what Acts 3:19 teaches except that Peter omits the parenthesis.

*Also compare the fact that these Gentiles in Acts 10:45 received the gift of the Holy Spirit (compare with Acts 2:38 - the gift of the Holy Spirit) and this was BEFORE water baptism (Acts 10:47).

In Acts 10:43 we read ..whoever believes in Him receives remission of sins. Again, these Gentiles received the gift of the Holy Spirit - Acts 10:45 - when they believed on the Lord Jesus Christ - Acts 11:17 - (compare with Acts 16:31 - Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and you will be saved) BEFORE water baptism - Acts 10:47. This is referred to as repentance unto life - Acts 11:18.

*So the only logical conclusion when properly harmonizing scripture with scripture is that faith in Jesus Christ "implied in genuine repentance" (rather than water baptism) brings the remission of sins and the gift of the Holy Spirit (Luke 24:47; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 10:43-47; 11:17,18; 15:8,9; 16:31; 26:18). *Perfect Harmony* (y)

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Water is not the sole medium into which we can be immersed. We can be immersed into the doctrine of Christ. We can be immersed into our thoughts etc.
Hello notuptome!

The context that I provide speaks of Baptism in the literal sense of being immersed in water. The supporting words of John Baptizing in the Jordan would also validate literal water, as in Jesus coming up out of the water. The scripture that the OP used was in regards to being baptized in literal water.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Hello notuptome!

The context that I provide speaks of Baptism in the literal sense of being immersed in water. The supporting words of John Baptizing in the Jordan would also validate literal water, as in Jesus coming up out of the water. The scripture that the OP used was in regards to being baptized in literal water.
Acts 2:38 is Holy Spirit baptism based on the word "baptizo" if it were bapto it would be more likely water.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I believe the Living Water is the Holy Spirit which flows out of each of us when we share the Gospel of our blessed Savior, Yeshua-Jesus.

JBTN

Feb 11, 2020
Thanks to all. Will be studying your responses closely.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Acts 2:38 is Holy Spirit baptism based on the word "baptizo" if it were bapto it would be more likely water.

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Yes, but that is not the context which I provided, nor of the OP. The context is what determines the meaning of whether the Baptism of the Spirit is meant or water Baptism. The scriptures I provided were in regards to water Baptism.

JBTN

Feb 11, 2020

Strong's Concordance

HELPS Word-studies

Ahwatukee

When I mentioned Strong’s definition I was wrong, it should have been Thayer’s Lexicon. Sorry for the mistake.