Heaven might be boring?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Prognostic

Jan 5, 2018
On discussing heaven with a friend who's not a believer. He's still a good friend though. After telling him about heaven and what it would be like he said that you don't know it might be boring though.

He's a friend and I respect him but for him to say that to me only makes me think he hasn't quite grasped the meaning of "heaven" right?

I mean that's the whole point of heaven right? To be a place where there is only eternal goodness. Happiness, joy, laughter and peace. A place where there is no death or pain or suffering of any kind. Where there is no boredom ever. Forever. That's the whole point if it being heaven. It's what makes heaven the heaven that it is. Right?

I wonder what he meant by it might be boring though. Other than that. I guess he has some mispreconceptions about it.

He is also someone that struggles to believe in God because of suffering. Although I do try to tell him that it's all for a reason and that it doesn't mean that he doesn't exist or doesn't care but he's that type who can't get his head around it. Despite all the scientific evidence I present him with. You know the type!

But anyway! Yeah, boring? No. Eternally and infinitely gobsmackingly beautiful and mesmerising and fascinatingly interesting. Yes.

Right? :)

Prognostic

Jan 5, 2018
I mean, heaven is where God is. And being in the presence of God is the penultimate pleasure of life. Is the way I see it. Of all the pleasures of life that heavenly life has for its dwellers. None other can be any more better than just to be in the presence of Jesus. To be in the house of the Lord. To be in a place of eternal safe haven and bliss. Free from all alarm. Free of all ignorance and naivety. Knowing in full. Using all of your brain and having knowledge and skills and abilities you don't have now. Having so many things to explore and learn all the more. And having an eternal job to do in the heavens. Possibly to literally subdue the stars and galaxies of heaven. All while as living supernaturally and knowing. What such hope that what is just a glimpse of what it will be like gives! How could it ever if even for a moment be considered boring? How I ask, as a believer, as one who yearns just to be with the Lord, even if it means I'm sat on a mat at the lowest position to Him. Even if it meant I was the most simple of people in heaven and I wasn't very intellectually stimulating. Or I was the least funny and most mundane of people. If I never had any skills or anything to do to keep me from being bored. As long as I was there in that position in his presence, and I could praise and worship him. That alone for me would be more than enough and make me forever more than happy. That alone would be more than enough for me to ensure that I would never get bored or find it boring at any time. Never never never would I consider it boring. Not if I was actually there. For I would just be forever bowled over and brought to my knees by the awesome power of God and just so thankful for my life and the lives of my loved ones. And just by the reality of it all. His infinite majesty and power. For knowing that I'll walk out my mansion every day for the rest of eternity and it will be a good day. And no matter if we've been there 10 million years blazing like the sun we'll have no less time or new things to do than when we begun!

Right? :)

T

theanointedsinner

heaven? think of the time when you "won the internet", now multiply how you feel when you realize you just "won the internet" and multiply that by an exponentially large number, that's probably what it will be like in heaven.

Prognostic

Jan 5, 2018
heaven? think of the time when you "won the internet", now multiply how you feel when you realize you just "won the internet" and multiply that by an exponentially large number, that's probably what it will be like in heaven.
Won the internet? What you on about?

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
When we make Him the desires of our hearts, we find contentment to the point of joy. Boring dwelling with Yud Heh Vav HeH, and Yeshua always and forever boring. No, unless blissful peace is boring to you, not for me. In His presence there is fullness of Joy and at His right hand, there are pleasures forever more.

T

theanointedsinner

wait, blissful peace is not stimulating? people will try to describe it with weird adjectives, that should not be boring

Marcelo

Feb 4, 2016
On discussing heaven with a friend who's not a believer. He's still a good friend though. After telling him about heaven and what it would be like he said that you don't know it might be boring though.
A famous artist once said he doesn't want to go to Heaven because it is no doubt a boring place. Obviously his view of Heaven is partly based on what he sees here on earth: Remote-controlled people going to church on Sundays (some on Saturdays), pastors delivering microwave sermons, believers monitoring one another's lives; lists of dos and donts, enforced tithing, etc.

The above artist may have reasons for his dim view of Heaven, but even if our churches were perfect he would probably maintain his opinion. I know him to be a womanizer and it would be unbearable for him to live with the same woman throughout his life.

I think this topic is very interesting. Life on earth is wonderful and life in Heaven must be at least one thousand times better. If we don't feel this in our hearts there must be something wrong with us -- perhaps we should seek more intimacy with God.

GardenofWeeden

Jul 27, 2018
The Garden of Weeden
It takes pride to opine something to be exciting or boring, and I doubt we'll have pride in a place a perfect and just as Heaven...but that's just my opinion.

memyselfi

Jan 12, 2017
There is actually a small piece of me that can get where your friend is coming from... I love adrenalin… scuba to spelunking... if I thought I was going to lay on a cloud all day, I would say big yawn....

But the truth is I cannot fathom glorified body nor perfection!!! I WANT IT!!! I think every human truly does... Pain physical/emotional SUCKS... I do not care who you are. But the real deal is I do not know if it will be exciting or not... That is exciting in and of it's self... I know G-d created me and I will not be unhappy.... I am NOT GOING TO HELL!

The real deal about heaven though is if you or I or your friend are there we ARE DEAD!!! So it really doesn't matter what we think heaven or hell or the nothing at all, like some people believe,... We are all dead anyway... HOPEFULLY HEAVEN IS REAL IT IS BETTER THAN HELL OR NOTHING AT ALL (can you imagine how boring NOTHING IS!!!!)

Personally I BELIEVE HEAVEN IS REAL AND IT WILL BE ALL GOOD!!

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
Your friend is struggling with the "Problem of Evil." This is a theodicy that has been around a long time, and has had many attempts to rationalize, answer, and even change God so that he conforms to the right answer to this problem. (Read: Process theologians and others!)

You need to look up this theodicy, on-line and read about it. There are good answers, find one that satisfies you. Or even more than one! About 10 years ago, I had a foot reconstruction surgery that was horribly painful, and didn't go as planned. God was with me through it all. On the way home from the hospital, God told me to read the book of Job. Job was my best friend throughout my surgery, and his friends were just like some of my friends. They wanted me healed in 2 weeks. That is when the help stopped coming. Even though I was supposed to be in a wheelchair for 6 weeks, and my foot didn't heal then, but finally, after 5 months.

God taught me so much about himself during that period of my life. And that his ways were not my ways. Anyway, your friend is not alone in wondering about this problem of evil. But, there are answers, and it really is just an excusing for not believing, when deep down inside, you know God is real, IMHO.

Dec 15, 2016
I think that he jusy believes that you need all of the wordly sinful stuff to make it exciting i just do not think that they have learnes truly about god and understaand what true peace he cam bring. Please keep trying to yeach them i will pray that they turn themsleves over to god

G

Gracie_14

I think that he jusy believes that you need all of the wordly sinful stuff to make it exciting i just do not think that they have learnes truly about god and understaand what true peace he cam bring. Please keep trying to yeach them i will pray that they turn themsleves over to god
Note: capital "G" for God's name! ;)

T

theanointedsinner

Your friend is struggling with the "Problem of Evil." This is a theodicy that has been around a long time, and has had many attempts to rationalize, answer, and even change God so that he conforms to the right answer to this problem. (Read: Process theologians and others!)

You need to look up this theodicy, on-line and read about it. There are good answers, find one that satisfies you. Or even more than one! About 10 years ago, I had a foot reconstruction surgery that was horribly painful, and didn't go as planned. God was with me through it all. On the way home from the hospital, God told me to read the book of Job. Job was my best friend throughout my surgery, and his friends were just like some of my friends. They wanted me healed in 2 weeks. That is when the help stopped coming. Even though I was supposed to be in a wheelchair for 6 weeks, and my foot didn't heal then, but finally, after 5 months.

God taught me so much about himself during that period of my life. And that his ways were not my ways. Anyway, your friend is not alone in wondering about this problem of evil. But, there are answers, and it really is just an excusing for not believing, when deep down inside, you know God is real, IMHO.
here's what I think on the problem of evil

hell would be the biggest

God's justice want's to destroy sin
God loves his creation so much, God's love is sustaining

I think that God's love sustain's the lost soul's existence in hell
their existence = the existence of sin, and God's justice would destroy sin
the lost soul's do get destroyed in some way, but God's love keep them existing forever

God can't help but love, and hell is one of the biggest vicious cycle we want to avoid.

Heaven, is where God's love is experienced maximally, your practically immortal, so have fun with immortality, souls in heaven are technically invincible.