Heavenly, simple, meatloaf recipe

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Apr 4, 2018
I was visiting my Aunt a couple years ago, and she made a meatloaf dinner, it was delicious! totally different from mine, a bit of a sweet treat too. I asked her how she did it, and I never made it until recently, so I also had to google and read a few recipes. From google and what I could remember of her instruction, I made an amazing meatloaf that got devoured!

I usually use a loaf pan, but my Aunt forms a loaf and puts it on a sheet with a cookie rack, for draining the grease away she said. I used 90/10 lean ground beef and didn't have much grease. What I learned about this method is the bottom of the meatloaf doesn't get soggy, bonus.

And, what I like also is the glaze goes all over top and sides, seals things in. I cooked mine uncovered. After the cooking time was up, I wanted to make sure it was done in the center, so I cut it across the middle, juices ran clear. This meatloaf had great texture and was super moist! I usually like brown gravy meatloaf, but this is a nice once in a blue Moon kind of thing, it would be great as cocktail meatballs too!

Preheat oven to 350

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1/2 a roll of Original Jimmy Dean sausage

1 cup chopped sweet onion

1 egg

1 cup of milk

1 cup dried plain bread crumbs

salt, pepper, worcestershire to your taste

+++

2 tb yellow mustard

1/4 cup brown sugar or less is fine too

1/3 cup of catsup

Sauté onion in butter. Combine items in first seven lines thoroughly, and form loaf, place on baking sheet, if you don't have a cookie rack, maybe grease sheet or put down parchment paper. Mix last three items well, and spread over meat loaf. Cook for one hour.

Please make if you're interested and let me know.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I don't care for meat loaf (yuck lol) but this does sound good. :)

Apr 4, 2018
Haha :) Do you like cabbage rolls?

I also recently tried my hand at a version I had when I was in Germany, turned out really good. I usually make cabbage rolls like my grandma, boiled with vinegar and caraway seed, but the people I stayed with over there baked the cabbage rolls in a tomato cream sauce that was SO delicious.

I like meatloaf once or twice a year, Salisbury steak too, mostly because of brown gravy and mashed potatoes, and maybe I get it from my Dad? He liked it too. You know what grosses me out chipped beef on toast ((shudder)) lol, my Dad liked that too.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I've never had cabbage rolls, I only like cabbage in cole slaw and corned beef with cabbage. You know, the St. Patty's dinner, what's that called.. lol

Lighthearted

Oct 17, 2016
I've never had cabbage rolls, I only like cabbage in cole slaw and corned beef with cabbage. You know, the St. Patty's dinner, what's that called.. lol
If you're ok with tomato based sauce, you'll probably like cabbage rolls.

A

AuntieAnt

Haha :) Do you like cabbage rolls?

I also recently tried my hand at a version I had when I was in Germany, turned out really good. I usually make cabbage rolls like my grandma, boiled with vinegar and caraway seed, but the people I stayed with over there baked the cabbage rolls in a tomato cream sauce that was SO delicious.

I like meatloaf once or twice a year, Salisbury steak too, mostly because of brown gravy and mashed potatoes, and maybe I get it from my Dad? He liked it too. You know what grosses me out chipped beef on toast ((shudder)) lol, my Dad liked that too.

I make meatloaf a few times per month (just tonight, in fact!). I will try your recipe with the sausage. It sounds delicious. Please also post your cabbage rolls recipe, the one in creamy tomato sauce. My sister-in-law used to make them and they were awesome. I never made them though. Thanks for sharing!

Apr 4, 2018
Thank you. :) Ok, I'll try to post about the cabbage rolls in the next day or so, I have quite a bit of fatigue I'm dealing with, some days are better than others. Have you ever used milk, because I had never heard of using it. And, I never used sausage in meatloaf or cabbage rolls, or breadcrumbs! Although, I use Italian sausage and breadcrumbs in my meatball recipe. In meatloaf I always used oats, like my Mom. A friend of mine recently told me she uses crackers, and I've read some people think crackers are the best.

peacenik

May 11, 2016
[h=2]Heavenly, simple, meatloaf recipe[/h]

Sounds Heavenly, indeed!

In my recipe, I may add Italian sweet sausage, anchovies, a few pistachios, Spanish olives, and curry for added seasoning.

The flavor is beyond awesome!

Apr 4, 2018
Wow, that sounds interesting! I love olives. I think Italian sausage sounds like it would be good. I hadn't had Jimmy Dean sausage since I was a kid, but it's what my Aunt said she used, it was good... but yours sounds like it would be full of flavor, and I like all of those ingredients. I'll tell you I did not miss the oatmeal, I liked the breadcrumbs.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
I always make meatballs instead of meatloaf. I use Ground chuck and turkey Italian sausage. I also add Italian seasoning with the salt and pepper. Cracker crumbs are okay but if you use saltines you'll probably get too much salt. I use dried cubed breadcrumbs that I use for croutons. Just put them in plastic and crush them up.

I omit the fresh onion as they make the meatballs fall apart. Instead use about a half cup dried chopped onion. For two pounds of meat use two eggs. I wouldn't use more than 2/3 cup of breadcrumbs. Deep fry the meatballs in 1/2 inch canola oil until lightly browned on both sides. You can salvage most of the oil running it thru a screen scoop with a paper coffee filter in it. Be sure to drain it into a two cup glass measuring cup, not plastic. Leave about 2/3 cup oil and drippings in skillet and add 3/4 cup of flour to make your gravy. Take two or three brown gravy mixes and beat them into a bowl with water. Add that to you gravy start and boil it. Then keep adding water until you get your desired consistency.
For Swedish style mix in 3/4 cup sour cream into the gravy.

Place meatballs in 8 X 12 glass pan and cover with gravy. Put tin foil over top and bake 350 degrees for 1 hour. Serve over rice. There won't be much leftovers.
:)

Last edited:

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
I was visiting my Aunt a couple years ago, and she made a meatloaf dinner, it was delicious! totally different from mine, a bit of a sweet treat too. I asked her how she did it, and I never made it until recently, so I also had to google and read a few recipes. From google and what I could remember of her instruction, I made an amazing meatloaf that got devoured!

I usually use a loaf pan, but my Aunt forms a loaf and puts it on a sheet with a cookie rack, for draining the grease away she said. I used 90/10 lean ground beef and didn't have much grease. What I learned about this method is the bottom of the meatloaf doesn't get soggy, bonus.

And, what I like also is the glaze goes all over top and sides, seals things in. I cooked mine uncovered. After the cooking time was up, I wanted to make sure it was done in the center, so I cut it across the middle, juices ran clear. This meatloaf had great texture and was super moist! I usually like brown gravy meatloaf, but this is a nice once in a blue Moon kind of thing, it would be great as cocktail meatballs too!

Preheat oven to 350

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 egg

1 cup of milk

+++

2 tb yellow mustard

1/3 cup of catsup

Sauté onion in butter. Combine items in first seven lines thoroughly, and form loaf, place on baking sheet, if you don't have a cookie rack, maybe grease sheet or put down parchment paper. Mix last three items well, and spread over meat loaf. Cook for one hour.

Man! Now I'm hungry for meatloaf!!

Jan7777777

Oct 19, 2018

Preheat oven to 350

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 egg

1 cup of milk

+++

2 tb yellow mustard

1/3 cup of catsup

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This sounds sorta like mine only I don't add sugar, ….. and I put green peppers in mine, it makes it really give it that umph!...….I use crushed crackers, I tried other things, like bread, but crackers is better to me.

Lafftur

Apr 18, 2017

Preheat oven to 350

1 1/2 pounds ground beef

1 egg

1 cup of milk

+++

2 tb yellow mustard

1/3 cup of catsup

This is a WINNER!!! I did, I tried it this past weekend on my kiddos......they devoured it! lol! :giggle: I'll be making it again, I'm sure. Thank you so much for posting this recipe. :love:(y)

I added green bell peppers and sauteed them with the onions and a pinch of minced garlic with butter, just like you said.

1588689811781.png
Next, I put 1 1/2 cup milk, two eggs, 2 cups crumbled wheat Ritz crackers instead of bread crumbs, salt & pepper, Mrs. Dash Herb and Garlic seasoning, a lot of Worcestershire just because I really like it and added the sauteed onions and bell peppers and 2 lbs of lean ground beef with 1 lb of Jimmy Dean pork sausage meat and mixed it all together.

1588689833874.png 1588689854191.png

I was able to make two loaves. I mixed the glaze with the same ingredients you said and spread it on top of the loaves. Then, put them in the oven at 350 degrees for 1hour.

1588690454854.png 1588690503827.png

The pic doesn't do the meatloaf justice....it really looked good when it came out of the oven and smelled wonderful!

1588690555248.png
I served it with mashed potatoes, corn on the cob and a salad. We loved it! :love:(y)