Hebrew words game

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Since using a Complete Jewish Bible (CJB), I've been learning more Hebrew words here and there.

First, God's name, ADONAI, is used this way. Then people's original names like Matthew, I've now learned, is Mattityahu, Peter is Kefa... and the Pharisees and Sadducees are really P'rushim and Tz'dukim.

How would you like to know more about Hebrew words and language? What are talmidim, tzara'at, cohanan? [will not italicize them all now!] You can give the English translation, and may write the passage where your chosen words came from too.

SoulWeaver

Oct 25, 2014
I'm about to sleep a bit, but I'll come back later...
So, is this thread about everyone posting Hebrew words, favorite/interesting or recently learned? Or what are the game rules? Do you give "homework" to the next poster?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
Since using a Complete Jewish Bible (CJB), I've been learning more Hebrew words here and there.

First, God's name, ADONAI, is used this way. Then people's original names like Matthew, I've now learned, is Mattityahu, Peter is Kefa... and the Pharisees and Sadducees are really P'rushim and Tz'dukim.

How would you like to know more about Hebrew words and language? What are talmidim, tzara'at, cohanan? [will not italicize them all now!] You can give the English translation, and may write the passage where your chosen words came from too.

All of the Hebrew you have cited here are not translations, they are transliterations. They may actully be translated into English, French, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Russian and allother languages.

I have read the Word in Hebrew, and it is, for me, a wonderful experience, but as long as the individual is led by the Holy Spirit, he or she will be given the entire truth from a cookbook, if it is our FAther's will.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
In the name of elohim was created the heaven and the earth.

Here the haertz (m spelling) it means the land. Israel today refers to itself as the Eretz Israel......land of Israel.

The word for earth can be olam, however sometimes Baruch Hashem "ad olam" means praise God forever.. olam with ad before it..…….of course these are transliterations..I am very slow typing in Hebrew these days….

God bless you my family. Oh, you susrrised me in a most pleasant manner.

Feb 28, 2016
oh my Brother Jack, imagine we are still able to be surprised at our
advanced age!
Todah Rabah!
:):)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
You two always make me happy…...…….cannot help it, you love is always shown……….All blessings in Yeshua...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Do we give transliterations since I cant read or write Hebrew.

How about SHALOM. It means peace.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
All of the Hebrew you have cited here are not translations, they are transliterations. They may actully be translated into English, French, Spanish, Greek, Chinese, Russian and all other languages.

I have read the Word in Hebrew, and it is, for me, a wonderful experience, but as long as the individual is led by the Holy Spirit, he or she will be given the entire truth from a cookbook, if it is our FAther's will.
Thank you for clarifying things, jaume! And here's what transliteration is:=)

Transliteration is the process of transferring a word from the alphabet of one language to another. Transliteration helps people pronounce words and names in foreign languages.

Unlike a translation, which tells you the meaning of a word that's written in another language, a transliteration only gives you an idea of how the word is pronounced, by putting it in a familiar alphabet. It changes the letters from the word's original alphabet to similar-sounding letters in a different one. In Hebrew, the Jewish winter holiday is חנוכה. Its English transliteration is Hanukkah or Chanukah.

Definitions oftransliteration
na transcription from one alphabet to another
(https://www.vocabulary.com/dictionary/transliteration )

For us who havent really learned or can learn Hebrew now, i hope this is a step closer to learning abt the original Hebrew.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
I'm about to sleep a bit, but I'll come back later...
So, is this thread about everyone posting Hebrew words, favorite/interesting or recently learned? Or what are the game rules? Do you give "homework" to the next poster?
No strict game rules.. just a place to share some of those precious words and what we're learning from these. We can give homework to the others tho=)).

Btw, sorry abt cohanan, which should be cohanim. I meant to check actual word sp. before posting, but realized i havent after i've logged out and left.

Cohen, also spelled kohen (Hebrew: “priest”), plural cohanim, or cohens, Jewish priest, one who is a descendant of Zadok, founder of the priesthood of of Jerusalem when the First Temple was built by Solomon (10th century BC) and through Zadok related to Aaron, the first Jewish priest, who was appointed to that office by his younger brother, Moses.
(https://www.britannica.com/topic/cohen)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014

Yes, it would be mostly transliterations after all. Here are some:

Yochanan - John, meaning "Yahweh is gracious."
Yerushalayim - Jerusalem
Havah - Eve, meaning "life/life-bearer" (Genesis 3.20)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

Shalom may bean many things, peace, health and general welfare among other meanings. Today in modern Hebrew Israelíes greet each other with (for a man) Ma shlom cha...The Shlom is a contraction of Shalom. This si why shalom is such a nice word from our Savior to us. My shalom I leave with you...

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When the Jebusites dwelled in what is now Jerusalem, it was simply Urushalaim, or city of peace. When our Father chose Urushalaim, it becam Yahurushalaim or Jerusalem, city of Yahweh's peace.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
When the Jebusites dwelled in what is now Jerusalem, it was simply Urushalaim, or city of peace. When our Father chose Urushalaim, it becam Yahurushalaim or Jerusalem, city of Yahweh's peace.
Thanks for yet another share...

Today i came across matzah= unleavened bread.

Also in Exod. 6.2-3, Shaddai, often occur with El, used independently as a name of God, mainly in book of Job. Commonly rendered 'the Almighty,' the Hebrew root shadad, from which it's been derived means 'to overpower, to treat with violence..." and it is possible that the original significance was that of 'overpowering strength.' (from CJB Study Bible)

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
When the Hebrews saw what the Lord had rained down for them they declared (Maze," or What is it? It is said anyway. That means what is it? Matzeh. This is but one rendition, I like Matza...

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I forgot, it is also written in the Word how God had given the Hebrews the food dof angels to eat...…….referring to the Manna.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Ruach HaKodesh - Holy Spirit

Mark 13:11 (CJB)
11 Now when they arrest you and bring you to trial, don’t worry beforehand about what to say. Rather, say whatever is given you when the time comes; for it will not be just you speaking, but the Ruach HaKodesh.

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Avraham - father of many
Sarai - mockery
Sarah - princess
Yitz'chak - laughter

from Genesis 17.