Hell, Sheol, Hades...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
So you keep saying. But where is YOUR correct exegesis of Scripture? Simply repeating the same thing ad nauseam does not make it true.
Death always is defined as separation between two things in scripture. Start at the beginning if you are not aware.

....but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die (spiritually).

Adam and Eve died spiritually (separated, loss of fellowship) the same day they ate the fruit, being literally separated from the presence of God in the garden by being banished from the garden.

Annihilationism is not biblical, the verbiage does not support it.

Just basic textual etymology, linguistics destroys, lol, this doctrine.

Take a deep dive rather than learning from the internet and figure it out for yourself.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
It does not matter if it is literal (as in actually happened) Jesus never spoke in fantasy/science fiction He always used real world scenarios.

So the background of the story has reality as does the parable of the sower and all the others.

Annihilationism is still false without an immortal soul, spirit of a person continues after death
Yes, you deny that destroy to the uttermost means destroy to the uttermost, that God alone
is immortal, and that Jesus only taught in parables. Do you take the apocalyptic language of
Revelation literally too, or say it is obviously false because it reads in parts like sci-fi fantasy?
Or do you fully expect that people will actually see a beast that looks like this?

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
Many believe the parable of the rich man and Lazarus is literal

It IS literal.
despite the fact that we are told that Jesus only taught in parables

We're told that in a context. Your claim is a bunch of out-of-context baloney.
Consider also that after Adam and Eve ate from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, God barred the way to the Tree of Life, lest they eat of it also and live forever. Yet somehow God, according to many, has reversed His position on this, and will keep alive forever after those who refuse to acknowledge Him as sovereign Lord, believing not in the shed righteous blood of Jesus Christ by grace through faith for the remission of their sins.
Death didn't keep the rich man from living.

NilsForChrist

Jan 31, 2023
Death always is defined as separation between two things in scripture. Start at the beginning if you are not aware.

....but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you shall surely die (spiritually).

Adam and Eve died spiritually (separated, loss of fellowship) the same day they ate the fruit, being literally separated from the presence of God in the garden by being banished from the garden.

Take a deep dive rather than learning from the internet and figure it out for yourself.
Amen.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Yes, you deny that destroy to the uttermost means destroy to the uttermost,
The language/linguistics denies it means "annihilate, non exist" ... uttermost describes the level of destruction but it is not mean annihilate.
Ancient literature which uses the sames terms confirms whether you like it or not.

that God alone is immortal,
That is correct God is not subject to death.
If eternal life and immortality are not convertible terms,
If they were convertible terms then believers in Christ, who have eternal life now, have immortality now, and therefore cannot die, but they do in fact die (separation of body, soul and spirit)
So this argument does not really apply because one again it is ripped from its contextual meaning.

Do you take the apocalyptic language of
Revelation literally too, or say it is obviously false because it reads in parts like sci-fi fantasy?
Or do you fully expect that people will actually see a beast that looks like this?
What does this have to do with anything, not even remotely connected to the story of Lazuras and the rich man.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
I beg to differ since it says they will be tormented forever and ever. Therefore it can only refer to the afterlife. See also Psalm 139:8.
Jude spoke of Sodom and Gomorrah as ‘suffering the vengeance of eternal fire’ I am pretty sure that fire has burned out.

Ages of ages needs to be once again understood in context.
Typically it means for many ages, an age can simply be several life spans or longer.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
If they were convertible terms then believers in Christ, who have eternal life now, have immortality now, and therefore cannot die, but they do in fact die (separation of body, soul and spirit)
So this argument does not really apply because one again it is ripped from its contextual meaning.
Good point. When Paul wrote "who only hath immortality" to Timothy, both him and Timothy had immortality; as well as every other believer at the time. The previous verse says that God is the only potentate. I can bench press a bed spread every morning when I wake up, so I'm a potentate too. I think she's being silly with the word "only".

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Aion, you mean? Indeed, but most of the times it means eternal.
That is what the internet likes to promote.

Aidios is the true Greek word for eternity, and Hell is always described with the word aion, not aidios.

awelight

Aug 10, 2020
You have offered nothing in the way of facts and evidence and merely given an emotional knee-jerk response which is only opinion and what is evident is you haven't even attempted to make an objective assessment.
Really???? I think my post shows clearly that I have thought long and hard about this subject. Not in just answering you and this foolish article but over the Thirty plus years I have been a believer, by the Grace of my God.

If you truly understand this subject, then give Biblical verses to substantiate such wild claim. In your own words and understanding.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
I agree -:)- Too bad so many do not see how they themselves do this -:censored::cry:
That would not be me I do not support annihilationism (a stain on God as creator)

Other theories are just as problematic though, so at least I see the whole picture.

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
When God is "all in all" in the coming age, anything or any one who was not aligned with God's plan will simply not "be" any more.

The current heaven and the current earth will "pass away" at the end of this age. Also, there will be no sea. The "sea" is allegorical language that can be understood to be "the sea of humanity". There will be no more aimless throng of people.

Some might say "But see, the Bible says 'But there shall by no means enter it (New Jerusalem) anything that defiles, or causes an abomination or a lie, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life.' so there must be things that can defile and lie after when this coming age is upon us.

Not so, the Bible also records 'Its gates shall not be shut at all by day' and some will think 'So then the gates must be shut at night'. But when we read on we see 'there shall be no night there'.

This is an absolute contrast of normative language written so that men would understand it. In the age to come, when God is all in all, there will be no schism between what is God and what is not God. There will be only God. And everything, because God is in them, will align with His purposes.

The entirety of the new heaven and new earth will be filled with God with no schism.

These things are understood by being a study of the character of our Father not through the study of Greek, Hebrew or Hermeneutics. I like Hermeneutics but like so many things, if you do not have love (the Father) your understanding will be skewed from the truth.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
When God is "all in all" in the coming age, anything or any one who was not aligned with God's plan will simply not "be" any more.
Where is that in scripture, where exactly does God state He will de-create humans?

Aaron56

Jul 12, 2021
Where is that in scripture, where exactly does God state He will de-create humans?
Every human who is not a son of God will be destroyed in the fire, as fire destroys things. The age to come begins with God being all in all.

God created creation so that He might be seen and understood; revealed if you will: “Let there be light!” When God is all in all there is no need for the first creation, it will have accomplished its design by revealing the Father and reconciling man to Himself. Then, a new earth and heaven will be made to accommodate the eternal in all. In this creation, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed, that is a natural law. In the creation to come, in the age to come, the natural law must accommodate the eternal presence of God, Who will be all in all.

Oct 12, 2021

Where does it say in Genesis: "You shall surely die SPIRITUALLY?"

Huh?! It doesn't. You are injecting your own word into Scripture. You do so because you have been told what to believe and you are not up to challenging what you've been told.

Gold told Adam: "...for dust you are to dust you shall return"

Adam came into existence when God created him out of the dust of the ground. Prior to that Adam did not exist. And when he died he went back to dust i.e. he ceased to exist.

Oct 12, 2021
Really???? I think my post shows clearly that I have thought long and hard about this subject. Not in just answering you and this foolish article but over the Thirty plus years I have been a believer, by the Grace of my God.

If you truly understand this subject, then give Biblical verses to substantiate such wild claim. In your own words and understanding.
IF you've followed my numerous response including my latest one you will see that I've done that very thing. In addition to that I've twice posted a very lengthy article the contents of which I agree and no-one has rebutted one single point by demonstrating any error - opinion simply doesn't qualify as a rebuttal.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
Every human who is not a son of God will be destroyed in the fire, as fire destroys things. The age to come begins with God being all in all.

God created creation so that He might be seen and understood; revealed if you will: “Let there be light!” When God is all in all there is no need for the first creation, it will have accomplished its design by revealing the Father and reconciling man to Himself. Then, a new earth and heaven will be made to accommodate the eternal in all. In this creation, matter cannot be created or destroyed, only changed, that is a natural law. In the creation to come, in the age to come, the natural law must accommodate the eternal presence of God, Who will be all in all.

Fire does not always destroy, it cannot destroy gold.
Fire also refines.
So that analogy is problematic.

As well "heaven and earth" in scripture is an idiomatic Hebrew expression, it refers to the temple, the law and the old system.
Heaven and earth have already passed away and we live in the new covenant.

"Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will not pass away." (Mt. 24:35, Mk. 13:31, Lk. 21:33).

So once again no evidence in scripture for annihilation/non-existence of humans.