Hell, Sheol, Hades...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 12, 2021
He was Jesus you are not. He knew all truth you do not.
IF we all followed your 'logic' to your 'logical' conclusion it would mean that because we are not Jesus and only He can use rhetorical devices that we cannot!

In the words of a certain Mr McEnroe: You cannot be serious!

Oct 12, 2021
After trying for some time to explain from the bible and with logic i feel that some people are unwilling to see things differently.

If there traditional idea of hell is eternal then they refuse to see it differently.

GOD IS JUST. God is loving and God is not pleased when people suffer.
Yet ... people teach that God will cause people to suffer for ever and ever because they sinned for 60 years or less.

What helped me was a sermon that help to explain the meaning of "for ever" in the language it was written.
It can mean for as long as or while ever the person is conscious.

The main issue in the goes back to the first lie, "you shall surely not die", the devil has spread this lie so much that every religion and even christianity teach that we can't die, or we live forever...
Joh 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.

"perish", if perish = eternal life in hell. It doesn't stop you from having everlasting life.
Yes IF perish = eternal life. I've been asking the Hellfire tormentors to substantiate their interpretations of Scripture with sound exegesis and with reference to the original meaning of certain words and in the context that much of Revelation is written in symbolic language - and they have failed to do so. What they have done is to demonstrate their anger because I refuse to be bullied into submission accepting their notion that it justice to torment people for eternity....in the context that God revealed to Jeremiah that it did not even enter His mind to burn people alive for even a very few minutes. But no, they cannot see the point because, pardon the pun, they are Hell bent on exacting revenge on whosoever doesn't agree with them.

Oct 12, 2021
As I /\ pointed to so even the simple would not mistake it, it is a "one minute video."

When the font in posts is blue in color, there a likely chance that it is a hyperlink. When I increase font size, it is most definitely a link. The "statement" is not as you portray it as such. It is the subject or title of the video in my link.

When I confront Jehovah's false Witness Elders, I don't waste my time trying to persuade them. I don't even debate with those of similar dogmas on these forums with others who are not convinced by nearly two dozen pages. I left the link for those interested. I serve those with ears to hear before they go off into eternity..
Thank you. This time your link ...linked. I viewed the fast show.

You posted the link - stating the obvious - because you agree with the presenter. But he simply rattled off a series of Scriptures without any exposition as to why they should be taken literally other than saying, in effect, that because that's what Jesus believes therefore he believes.

Now, if that is what Jesus intended then I too would believe that to be the case. But you need to keep in mind that Jesus when teaching His disciples did so in parables and the reason He did so was they would (learn) to understand whereas His enemies would not do so.

The mistake that you and the speaker make is this. You have the view that the Watchtower organisation teaches false doctrines. I agree with you. The major doctrine they get wrong is they do not recognize the deity of Jesus Christ. I think we are in agreement on this point that the JW's are most definitely wrong.

However, you make the Olympic Gold Medal Jump to the Wrong Conclusion in thinking One thing wrong - therefore everything wrong.

IF you apply that same principle to whichever church you align with I will dare to say that they have some things right and some things wrong....even if those things are lesser things in that they are not salvation issues.

And when it comes to this issue of literal eternal torment in a real literal Lake of Fire - or Annihilation this isn't a salvation issue.

But it is an issue nonetheless. And the issue is that of the character of God.

God takes no delight in the death of the wicked.

But you and those on your side of the argument come across as having a certain amount of glee at the thought that opponents of Christ will burn forever. I suggest you - and those who share that macabre view - would want to do some serious introspection.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
So, it's not the "unlimited punishment for limited sin" scenario... it's more like perpetual torment for choosing to stay perpetually wicked.
Good point. The scales of justice remain in balance.

Oct 12, 2021
I shudder to think the punishment you would dish out to someone if they were unfortunate enough to have you pair on a jury and found guilty of wilfully parking on a double yellow line.

JohnRH

Mar 5, 2018
But you and those on your side of the argument come across as having a certain amount of glee at the thought that opponents of Christ will burn forever.
Try 'tears" and "heart-breaking horror". That's been my observation of saints who have lost loved ones, who apparently died in their sins. As a believer in eternal torment, I don't want anyone to go there.

HeIsHere

May 21, 2022
IF we all followed your 'logic' to your 'logical' conclusion it would mean that because we are not Jesus and only He can use rhetorical devices that we cannot!

In the words of a certain Mr McEnroe: You cannot be serious!
When you are not the holder of absolute truth sarcasm becomes arrogance because there is a good chance you could be wrong.

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
I shudder to think the punishment you would dish out to someone if they were unfortunate enough to have you pair on a jury and found guilty of wilfully parking on a double yellow line.
You equate willful sin against God as a parking infraction.?

Oct 12, 2021
Try 'tears" and "heart-breaking horror". That's been my observation of saints who have lost loved ones, who apparently died in their sins. As a believer in eternal torment, I don't want anyone to go there.
I don't anyone to be unsaved either and neither do I find it attractive that certain gleeful individuals portray God as inflicting misery and torment on those who albeit foolishly reject His hand of friendship by subject them to endless horrors.

Oct 12, 2021
When you are not the holder of absolute truth sarcasm becomes arrogance because there is a good chance you could be wrong.
IF you take the trouble to actually read what I say and NOT what you think I've said you'd have read and understood that I've admitted I may well be wrong on this issue. And I've challenged you and others to substantiate your view by drilling down into the original meaning of the words Hell, Hades, Sheol and Gehenna and to take into consideration that much of Revelation is written in symbolic language.

In case you don't understand what is meant by symbolic language here's a definition: The gospels record that Jesus used symbolic language in talking about himself and his relationship to others; some examples of this refer to Jesus as the Living Water, the Bread of Life, the Light of the World, the Good Shepherd, and the Door. The gospels also record that Jesus used symbolism when he spoke in parables.

And another example: Jesus is the Lamb of God. Now IF certain persons who insist on taking every word literally, as at least one person in this does, are to be consistent they would have to say that Jesus is literally a sheep....which is preposterous!

And even that one certain person must see that because he, with no sense of irony whatsoever, accused me of being blasphemous.

Is any of this getting through to you?

Oct 12, 2021
You equate willful sin against God as a parking infraction.?
Have you any sense of discernment at all? Just how on earth could you come to such a conclusion? Huh?

I was talking about the attitude of the two persons to whom I was responding and NOT about God!

For goodness sake get a grip!

Beckie

Feb 15, 2022
Have you any sense of discernment at all? Just how on earth could you come to such a conclusion? Huh?

I was talking about the attitude of the two persons to whom I was responding and NOT about God!

For goodness sake get a grip!
the conclusion came directly from your post. For goodness sake watch what you say.

Oct 12, 2021
the conclusion came directly from your post. For goodness sake watch what you say.
And YOUR conclusion was a total disconnect from what I said and to whom.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
This study is pretty gangster.
I guess that's pretty hard to argue against, unless someone wants to try and say that God's glory and his servant's reign with him are finite...
Right.

Not to mention this verse (using that phrase), "...God that liveth unto the ages of the ages" - Revelation 15:7

-- https://www.blueletterbible.org/kjv/rev/15/7/p0/t_concif_1182007

As I said in an earlier post, this always seems to be the phrase they LEAVE OUT of their studies, when they present their materials [supposedly] showing what the word "aion" [and any related word] means.

One could ask, WHY?

thanks for posting it TDW.
Thank YOU for commenting.

Much appreciated, SomeDisciple. = )

TMS

Mar 21, 2015
Australia
If God is the creator of Hell as a place the causes suffering for eternity, i start to dislike the character of this God. If God lets people that sinned for a time continually suffer for eternity then that god is not Just. The God i serve is just.

If the person in hell comes to a point were they realize their mistakes and repent, will they continue to burn?

The God that i serve will destroy sin and destroy the sinner. He will cleanse the universe of sin and death. He wont cause sin and death to be externalized.

"Forever destroyed" = to be destroyed forever not to be continually destroying.

Does God have pleasure in destroying things and in destroying the people He died to save? No.

He will destroy sin and that is it.
Research the TRADITION of eternal hell fire, and you'll find it was invented by man in the dark ages.

TheDivineWatermark

Aug 3, 2018
If the person in hell comes to a point were they realize their mistakes and repent, will they continue to burn?
Bear in mind that "hell [/hades]" is what PRECEDES the lake of fire (and is ITSELF "cast into the LOF" at the GWTj point in time).

"Hell [/hades]" is merely the first phase (so to speak) of the judgment [at the time of DEATH of the unbelievers/unsaved] (which judgment is never "reversed"... it leads only TO the later "LOF" @GWTj, and THAT [the LOF] is said to be "unto the ages [plural] of the ages [plural]"... as explained in my previous posts... for example: Post #176 - https://christianchat.com/threads/hell-sheol-hades.206073/post-5024826 ).

SomeDisciple

Jul 4, 2021
If God lets people that sinned for a time continually suffer for eternity then that god is not Just.
Like I said in post 459, it's not for "sinning for a time"; refusing to have your sins washed away leaves you a sinner forever.

And also, like I said, It's this kind of thinking that really is alarming. Do you really think you are a better judge than God? He can literally see and know everything that you and everyone else thinks and does and would ever think and do in any given scenario... can you do that? Do you know anyone's else's heart enough to say what they deserve?

Have you been to the lake of fire? What is it like? You must know- because you say that people don't deserve it. What or who does the tormenting in the lake of fire? Personally, I think the people there torment themselves- it's just a theory: but, can you confirm it?