Hello all from the UK

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
Hello and welcome to Christian Chat. We are glad to have you with us and look forward to seeing you in the forums. :)

MessengerofTruth

Dec 21, 2022
Hi Merry, Good to have you here. Hope you find fellowship on the forum. :giggle:

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Nice to have you joining the discussions and welcome to CC! God bless you and your time here!

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
Maranatha. I don't know why you read that Adventist stuff, I've had their American History books before, and they think the American Civil War was a repeat of the War of 1776. They kind of remind me of people like David Kinkaid and the Wolf Tones, actually, but then I'm sure that a person from the United Kingdom would wonder why I bothered to look into a fat tome by David Chandler. You're not a "Whiteist Republican" are you? Whatever, good luck with that.

HopeinHim98

Mar 16, 2023
Maranatha. I don't know why you read that Adventist stuff, I've had their American History books before, and they think the American Civil War was a repeat of the War of 1776. They kind of remind me of people like David Kinkaid and the Wolf Tones, actually, but then I'm sure that a person from the United Kingdom would wonder why I bothered to look into a fat tome by David Chandler. You're not a "Whiteist Republican" are you? Whatever, good luck with that.
Not to hurt any Yankee feelings but the war was NOT primarily about slavery. Research it. Even Abe Lincoln (whose wife, btw, held seances in his home after the death of their son) said he didn't have the desire to do away with slavery. It was more about taxation, and it was more like an invasion. The Confederates weren't rebelling; they already had such a different culture and idea of government than the North that it only made sense to secede. True, some slaveholders weren't kind, but I doubt that all of them weren't. Stonewall Jackson had a very good reputation with the blacks, and two of them asked him to purchase them to be his personal slaves. I think even if the South would have won slavery would eventually have stopped, and today those of us who live in the south would enjoy more freedoms than we do now.

Check out these videos

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
Not to hurt any Yankee feelings but the war was NOT primarily about slavery. Research it. Even Abe Lincoln (whose wife, btw, held seances in his home after the death of their son) said he didn't have the desire to do away with slavery. It was more about taxation, and it was more like an invasion. The Confederates weren't rebelling; they already had such a different culture and idea of government than the North that it only made sense to secede. True, some slaveholders weren't kind, but I doubt that all of them weren't. Stonewall Jackson had a very good reputation with the blacks, and two of them asked him to purchase them to be his personal slaves. I think even if the South would have won slavery would eventually have stopped, and today those of us who live in the south would enjoy more freedoms than we do now.

Check out these videos

Check out these videos

The American Civil War was about blacks. I'm not sure if you understand the difference between Egypt and slavery or not, most of my old friends in Chicago had not caught on. Well, how did you guys do, I mean when you, like pulled out of Egypt and Zimbabwe. And don't lecture me on the South. My mother is from Raleigh, and I bet I speak WAY better Gaelic than you.

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
Sorry, that was mean. Everyone thinks I think I own the American Civil War just because I'm from Gun Street, Waukegan, and I don't think that at all. Having said that, the culture of the American South and the American North were almost identical in 1861, it's since then that the two have parted ways. You have to remember that Abraham Lincoln wasn't exactly Edward the First. He didn't fight a war of unification, and it wasn't really a war of conquest either, because they had just been the same country two minutes before he committed the original violation of the war powers act and decided to hang Senator Davis (of Tennessee).

HopeinHim98

Mar 16, 2023
Sorry, that was mean. Everyone thinks I think I own the American Civil War just because I'm from Gun Street, Waukegan, and I don't think that at all. Having said that, the culture of the American South and the American North were almost identical in 1861, it's since then that the two have parted ways. You have to remember that Abraham Lincoln wasn't exactly Edward the First. He didn't fight a war of unification, and it wasn't really a war of conquest either, because they had just been the same country two minutes before he committed the original violation of the war powers act and decided to hang Senator Davis (of Tennessee).
It's okay. I do have to disagree though that the culture was almost identical. Maybe it was their idea of government control and their economical status that were the most obvious differences between them, but the cultures were different too.

I'm not an expert on the history of the War Between the States but the research I have done has shed some light on a much-covered-up part of American history. Confederate President Jefferson Davis even said, "If the North wins the war, they will rewrite history in their favor." (paraphrased) Exactly what has happened!

Btw, it's cool you speak Gaelic! I have quite a bit of Scotch and Irish and wish I knew that language. I'm from Mobile, AL but I don't even have that much of a southern accent sadly lol.

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
It's okay. I do have to disagree though that the culture was almost identical. Maybe it was their idea of government control and their economical status that were the most obvious differences between them, but the cultures were different too.

I'm not an expert on the history of the War Between the States but the research I have done has shed some light on a much-covered-up part of American history. Confederate President Jefferson Davis even said, "If the North wins the war, they will rewrite history in their favor." (paraphrased) Exactly what has happened!

Btw, it's cool you speak Gaelic! I have quite a bit of Scotch and Irish and wish I knew that language. I'm from Mobile, AL but I don't even have that much of a southern accent sadly lol.
The "North" is rewriting history in its favor? I don't rewrite history. It's not history, it's the thirteenth and fourteenth Civil War Amendments. I realize that Lincoln legalized slavery by writing the thirteenth amendment, before that it was a matter of race, religion, and accidents of population composition as well as people's locations of Birth. I do know there are people that rewrite history though, one of them is Christine Gregoire, she used to be the Governor of Washington State. She's the evil witch who murdered Davis County (Seattle) and renamed it King County after James Meridith. People who didn't know the change had occurred were encouraged to believe that the County had been previously named after either King George or King William, no it wasn't. I mean this is the former Jefferson territory, there weren't kings about, or even Queens unless you sailed up to Victoria Island. People rewrite history, but to vary Hillary Clinton, they're thinking Nationally and acting locally and individually, usually in secret.

Speaking Gaelic is barely worth doing. I used to think I thought it was alright if the Southern Irish wanted a piece of the American Civil War, just because I knew that they had a World War Two fight between the ambiguously maned Michael Collins and IRA forces "loyal" to Devallera on offer as a trade, and it's a solid trade, too. I don't actually know everything about their Michael Collins, but there is an Apollo Astronaut by that Name. It's not the most brilliant thing to get embroiled in. Modern Dublin Gaelic is not worth speaking. It's like an anti-language, think about what George Orwell describes in 1984, and use the Dublin Codex as your starting point. If you enjoy materialist dialectics, Jungian Archetypal psychology, and being a blasphemer, it's for you. I'm just trying to keep the Apollo Space Program away from them.

Flannery

Mar 20, 2023
Thinking it over, since I'm a "Rhodesian" myself (or at least I went to the University of Oxford) I can't see why Stonewall's reputation with the blacks mattered at all. I mean to an extent I do, if you're really stuck in a foreign country that doesn't want you, you might start to associate yourself on the basis of the least amount of evil in the leader, that's not an uncommon way to express your citizen vote. However, many people decry the fact that it becomes necessary. A reputation among members of another race, class, condition, or nationality, or regional point if immigrated origin? What on earth does that have to do with anything? Compare it for example to the question "what's in a name" from Shakespeare's Othello, named for the black main character. Unless you can find something about that in the Bible.

MyrtleTrees

Sep 5, 2014
Hello, and how are you? I love God, and I live in Traverse City, Michigan, USA. I'll also mention I have a hobby of trying to figure out our Holbrook surname genealogy more. We already know our first ancestor to the USA, from Sommerset, England, is Thomas Holbrook and his wife, Jane, who came on the "Marygold" ship, back in the 1600's, if I remember right. I am presently interested in knowing more genealogy facts about the war hero, of England, Norman Douglas Holbrook, VC, and his dad - Sir Arthur Richard Holbrook - born in Bath, England. If you'd like to share any facts you know or have access to about them, please let me know - I'll appreciate it!

I come from a Christian family of 10 kids in all. By now, I'm 65 years old. I'm a grandma, and I and my husband spend time with our grandchildren about every day. I teach them daily about God and the Bible. I enjoy children, and I see it as being very important to raise children up well in the ways of the Lord!

I'll mention that Sir Arthur Richard Holbrook looked a lot like my cousin, Glen Holbrook looked, when he was younger, and I see by having watched a movie that Sir Arthur Richard Holbrook was in, that he looked a lot like Glen, too, whenever he was acting jolly as Arthur did in the movie I found online. And Arthur's famous son (war hero who obtained victory in the war through use of a submarine), Norman Douglas Holbrook VC, looked a lot like my brother, Mark Holbrook looked when he was a young man. I understand from reading somewhere online, that they (Sir Arthur Holbrook and his son, Norman Douglas Holbrook, VC) also lived in Somerset, England for a time. So must have been closely related to our ancestor - Thomas - who - with his family - immigrated to Massachusetts.