Hello from Sydney, Australia

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Sep 3, 2018
I read most of the Bible when I was about 20 years old or so. Encountered what appeared to be contradictions and ended up reading what Jesus was quoted as saying. I connected well with what Jesus had to say. Sometime over the past 30 years the penny dropped and the apparent contradictions largely disappeared. The main reason I've created an account here is to check my understanding with other Christians.

Best Regards,
James

EmilyFoster

Jul 10, 2018
Hello and welcome, friend. I hope you find this space encouraging, meaningful and helpful. May God bless you and guide you in a special way!

MrH59

Jun 24, 2018
Beech Island SC
I read most of the Bible when I was about 20 years old or so. Encountered what appeared to be contradictions and ended up reading what Jesus was quoted as saying. I connected well with what Jesus had to say. Sometime over the past 30 years the penny dropped and the apparent contradictions largely disappeared. The main reason I've created an account here is to check my understanding with other Christians.
Best Regards,
James
Welcome James, I think I can relate to what your saying . I tried reading the bible several times in my younger days and found only condemnation and contradiction. So much that it actually scared me and put it down. Not until I truly asked Jesus in my heart did I start gaining understanding. I think writing your story on the testimony forum could help you and others. even the prayer request or misc. forum are great. I just wanted to let you know that the Bible discussion forum may not be the first place to ask questions. it's a good place to visit and see different viewpoints but just be prepared. I look forward to seeing you around. GOD bless you.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Best Regards,
James
Welcome aboard devoiler :)

I live up the coast from you in the hunter valley in Maitland.. Good to see another Aussie on deck.. I will be very interested to view your thoughts.. May Gods Holy Spirit guide you into all wisdom and may you always be willing to follow His perfect guidance..

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee

Best Regards,
James
There are all kinds of peeps here from Australia so please make yourself at home. You will find that there are no contradictions in the bible but rather misunderstandings. Based on your post you might want to check out the Bible Discussion Forum but be forewarned that there a several members that are opinionated and that often results in heated discussion. Glad to have you onboard with us. Welcome to CC.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
Hello and welcome to CC God Bless

S

Sweetmorningdew78

Hi! James 😊 Welcome to CC 😊

Have a good day 😊

God bless you ❤

Sep 3, 2018
Big thank you to the people that have made me feel welcome and given me advice.

Kind Regards,
James

danja

Nov 28, 2014
Hey James :) Welcome to cc .Many blessings

Mel85

Daughter of the True King
Mar 28, 2018
Hi James, welcome to CC, glad to have you here :)

See you around the forums!

Blessings ❤️ DDACFDF0-C18D-4E79-9DF5-071F3907E8C1.jpeg

Dec 12, 2013
Hey James....peace from Penrith haha I am an American in Australia hahah...staying in a small community North West of Penrith....Castlereagh.....

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017

Best Regards,
James
Greatings to you. At 73 and studying scripture and looking at various documents historic like the Apostles Creed and other creeds as well as a systematic theology book that takes topics and lists every verse in the Bible related to the topic what I have found is outside the Apostles Creed it is agree to disagree on all other issues. This concept goes back to when the creed was created in 312 and the earliest document of it is dated 390. For example we have two diametrically opposed viewpoints that use scripture to back up their view. The creating elders wrote it to define the minimum beliefs a Christian MUST HAVE. Everything else is agree to disagree. There were lots of disagreements then and today. They are relatively minor issues. The major ones are in the creeds. Here is an example of this.

Five Points of Calvinism and Armenianism
Arminianism vs Calvinism Controversial Passages
https://www.xenos.org/essays/calvinism-arminianism-controversial-passages

The five points of Arminianism (from Jacobus Arminius 1559-1609) are in contrast to the five points of Calvinism (from from John (Jehan) Calvin 1509-1564). The Arminian five points with the Calvinist points listed beneath it are listed below. Armenianism is listed first and Calvinism is listed right under it.

Human Free Will--This states that though man is fallen, he is not incapacitated by the sinful nature and can freely choose God. His will is not restricted and enslaved by his sinful nature.
Total Depravity - - this states a man is incapable to choose God.

Conditional Election--God chose people for salvation based on His foreknowledge where God looks into the future to see who would respond to the gospel message.
Unconditional Election - - God reached in and chose forcing the person to respond to the gospel message.

Universal Atonement--The position that Jesus bore the sin of everyone who ever lived.
Limited Atonement - - Jesus only bore the sin for only those who choose him.

Resistable Grace--The teaching that the grace of God can be resisted and finally beaten so as to reject salvation in Christ.
Irresistible Grace - - The teaching that when God reaches in and touches the person his grace is irresistible.

Fall from Grace--The Teaching that a person can fall from grace and lose his salvation.
Perseverance of the Saints - - Once saved always saved OSAS.

Armenian
1. Free will
2. ConditionalElection
3. Universal Atonement
4. Resistable Grace
5. Fall from Grace

Basically, Calvinism is known by an acronym: T.U.L.I.P.

1. Total Depravity (also known as Total Inability and Original Sin)
2. Unconditional Election
3. Limited Atonement (also known as Particular Atonement)
4. Irresistible Grace
5. Perseverance of the Saints (also known as Once Saved Always Saved)

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017

Best Regards,
James
High James. Glad you are here. Going back to the 312 the Apostles Creed was created. The earliest document of it is 390. It defines the beliefs a person MUST HAVE to be a Christian. Everything outside it is agree to disagree. An example is the Arminian vs Calvinism differences. Each has 5 points and they are diametrically opposed to each other. Both sides defend their positions with Biblical passages. Here is an example of this. Since these issues are outside of the Creed it is agree to disagree. Have fun reading this. The many gospel preaching denominations are an example of agree to disagree.

Five Points of Calvinism and Armenianism

This is known as the Quinquarticular Controversy.

Quinquarticular Controversy
The diametrically opposed Calvinist and Armenian 5 points

Reformed/Calvinism
TULIP
1. Total depravity
2. Unconditional election
3. Limited atonement
4. Irresistible grace
5. Perserverance of the Saints

Armenianism
1. Free will or Human ability
2. Conditional election
3. Universal Redemption or General Atonement
4. The Holy Spirit can be Effectually Resisted
5. Falling from Grace

For a deeper discussion of the differences go to these web sites,

https://www.gotquestions.org/Calvinism-vs-Arminianism.html

There are denominations adhering to Calvinism, Arminianism, and parts of each creating a spectrum of different views of these issues.

Endoscopy

Oct 13, 2017
Oops
My tablet messed up and had to reboot. Somehow my first post didn't show up so I redid it.