Hi everyone: my question

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
Here is an explanation of the question my soul seeks to answer: When a child dies of sickness.. cancer.. people question.. where was God? Why didn’t God intervene and allow this innocent, precious, loved being to live out their lives.. it isn’t fair.. a Christian seems to answer, “god doesn’t intervene in the goings-on of humans on Earth, because he gave us free will and Self-determination, therefore he does not intervene and save the child, otherwise we would not truly have free will and natural consequenses”... yet the same Christian will spend countless hours praying to God and when something good happens in their life (ex. Blessed with a child, winning the lottery) they attribute it to prayers being answered... implying that God intervened to cause this to happen in some way. These seem like contradictory ideas.. does God intervene or does he not ? Shouldn’t we be angry at God for not saving an innocent baby but instead helping someone’s great Aunt Carole recover from cancer?

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
This is why the Lord had them write Job first.

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
I see... so why isnt it okay for us to seek knowledge and wisdom outside of our current perception/understanding (from the stories in Job) why is it wrong to question the creator and seek answers? Seems like a cop-out (to not answer Jobs question of why he felt like he was being punished (a valid question, especially since he was being led to believe that by others).. if humans were my children, I would want them to possess knowledge and wisdom... we try to teach our children as much as possible, right ?

Jan 7, 2017
If God always stepped in people would never die. Prayers may or may not be answered depending on what they are about, if you pray for wisdom for example, that will be answered, if you pray for riches, don't count on it.

J

joefizz

Here is an explanation of the question my soul seeks to answer: When a child dies of sickness.. cancer.. people question.. where was God? Why didn’t God intervene and allow this innocent, precious, loved being to live out their lives.. it isn’t fair.. a Christian seems to answer, “god doesn’t intervene in the goings-on of humans on Earth, because he gave us free will and Self-determination, therefore he does not intervene and save the child, otherwise we would not truly have free will and natural consequenses”... yet the same Christian will spend countless hours praying to God and when something good happens in their life (ex. Blessed with a child, winning the lottery) they attribute it to prayers being answered... implying that God intervened to cause this to happen in some way. These seem like contradictory ideas.. does God intervene or does he not ? Shouldn’t we be angry at God for not saving an innocent baby but instead helping someone’s great Aunt Carole recover from cancer?
First off....
Welcome here you can discuss with bible smart people and possibly make new friends,hope you like it here!
As for your question the answer lies in "purpose" each and every one of is slowly "dieing" physically and so whether God "intervenes" or not we eventually die at some unknown time and in the cases of "babies" they have things a little "better" than us adults in a way because God "intercedes" on their behalf so that they can enter his kingdom and be saved without having to "ask for" such blessings.
So quite frankly as to "where was God"? taking that child out of this sin filled world and bringing the child to a "better world" was where he was.

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
Is praying for a baby not to die not important enough of a prayer? I don’t get it.. yes people should die, when they are old and have lived a full life perhaps... don’t agree that people should have to die in terrible ways before they have even lived just due to statistical probability, human condition etc.. and if they do die for that reason then it is just as likely that god never intervened at all even when praying occurred because “no one would ever die” then... ?

J

joefizz

I see... so why isnt it okay for us to seek knowledge and wisdom outside of our current perception/understanding (from the stories in Job) why is it wrong to question the creator and seek answers? Seems like a cop-out (to not answer Jobs question of why he felt like he was being punished (a valid question, especially since he was being led to believe that by others).. if humans were my children, I would want them to possess knowledge and wisdom... we try to teach our children as much as possible, right ?
Well take a look around today what happens when parents just "hand over" wisdom?
Children tend to take the "wisdom" for granted and even rebel because just after a "little wisdom" a child may take it to their head that they "know better" than their parent and this in turn lead to "rebellion",so God doesn't hand over wisdom like nothing because if he did his "children" wouldn't "learn" anything "correctly" so he gives "wisdom" little by little so we don't get "full of ourselves" and "rebellious".

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
Thank you. This really does answer the question in a clear way

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
If you seek knowledge about the ways and intentions of our Creator and recognize the Bible as special revelation, then it only makes sense to refer to the Biblical text and let it inform your understanding. In this case, the Lord supplied wisdom texts like Job, Proverbs, and Ecclesiastes. Job in particular addresses the Problem of Evil.

Obviously, there are theologians who can convey these messages to a modern audience. Outside of the Biblical tradition, you will find ancient philosophers who can address these questions as well.

But why wall off or push aside the gift of scripture with a question of this sort?

U

Ugly

There's nothing wrong with questioning God, but i believe the difficulty is that the human mind cannot comprehend the world in the same way God views it. Humans view existence in extremely small and narrow views. But all of existence, whether the span of one persons life, or the entirety of all God has created, is too much to grasp. We want to have a specific moment explained, but we can't grasp that the moment we find unfair and question where God is is only a tiny portion of all that happens in the world.
For God to reveal to us every seemingly unfair action that happens would be to reveal to us things we cannot comprehend. Like trying to teach a 4 year old the highest level of physics. Their brains, literally, cannot grasp this. So it also is with humans trying to understand the choices God makes in regards to why He does and does not involve Himself.

J

joefizz

Is praying for a baby not to die not important enough of a prayer? I don’t get it.. yes people should die, when they are old and have lived a full life perhaps... don’t agree that people should have to die in terrible ways before they have even lived just due to statistical probability, human condition etc.. and if they do die for that reason then it is just as likely that god never intervened at all even when praying occurred because “no one would ever die” then... ?
That's really quite a "presumption" as to someone living a "full life" a person at nearly any age can live a "full life" and be "content" and "ready" to leave this world,for instance some elderly people spend their time "moping" longing to be useful again and mourning that they hadn't died in their youth when they were useful,and even some young people mourn not being older yet longing to "do more" it's all a matter of "persective".

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
But that isn’t true, because God shares his wisdom through the biblical teachings, right ? Which parents are encourged to raise their children with an understanding of (ex. Sunday school). Thank you for your response, but again.... the hiding wisdom thing just feels like good way of gaining control over behaviour...... no free will to go out into the world with your own innocently gained wisdom (from parents/upbringing)..

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
Sorry, but I don’t believe you could say an infant has lived a full life ? People typically live say... 80 years ? Babies have lived less than one so statistically speaking that is nowhere near a full life imo

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I look at things a different way- why are any of us alive? After Adam and Eve bit the apple, He was perfectly justified in wiping everything out and starting from zero. Death and decay are on us.

But in His mercy, we are allowed to live and multiply. Even enjoy life. But tragedy will be a core component of our lives until the final and complete restoration.

J

joefizz

Thank you. This really does answer the question in a clear way
Assuming you're talking to me,you're welcome(quoting or typing someones member name helps tell who you are talking to) and I encourage you to keep learning and "asking questions" as well as eventually "accept answers" though which ones you accept is entirely up to you.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Are you from Quebec?

But that isn’t true, because God shares his wisdom through the biblical teachings, right ? Which parents are encourged to raise their children with an understanding of (ex. Sunday school). Thank you for your response, but again.... the hiding wisdom thing just feels like good way of gaining control over behaviour...... no free will to go out into the world with your own innocently gained wisdom (from parents/upbringing)..

J

joefizz

Sorry, but I don’t believe you could say an infant has lived a full life ? People typically live say... 80 years ? Babies have lived less than one so statistically speaking that is nowhere near a full life imo
Exactly why I said "nearly" any age.

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
thanks for your response... I wish my brain could accept that as an answer and stop looking for answers but unfortunately.. this is the struggle !

Juliaaaellen

May 14, 2018
Okay, so you agree then that baby can’t possibly have lived a full life, by definition here ?