Hi, trying to benefit from thia spiritually

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 7, 2023
I hope this site can inspire me to think of bible more, to move away from the vices (lust, anger, greed, etc) and toward virtues (courage, justice, fortitude and temperance), forgiving enemies not looking at a women in lust, etc. And, you know, to be inspired/ motivated that others are in the same boat (Noah's ark over waters of sin?)
Anyways, glad to be here and to try to be better by the grace of god.

TabinRivCA

Oct 23, 2018
Nice to meet you and welcome to the fellowship here at CC! The vices you mentioned, many of us are still resisting as we are still in the flesh. The Lord led you to a great site to stay connected with fellow believers. Btw, at first I thought your title was 'christianstud' til I saw the next line, lol. God bless you and your time here!

Mar 7, 2023
Nice to meet you and welcome to the fellowship here at CC! The vices you mentioned, many of us are still resisting as we are still in the flesh. The Lord led you to a great site to stay connected with fellow believers. Btw, at first I thought your title was 'christianstud' til I saw the next line, lol. God bless you and your time here!
Someone might think I'm a stud, but not me, lol. Anyways, thanks for the response. Yeah, so long as we are in bodies the body will be causing trouble, but with the grace of god anything is possible! We take up our cross each day, and dont worry too far ahead because each day has enough evil to worry about! Anyways, I pray god will aid you, and I hope for prayers that I can avoid sinful habits. My sins are normal, but still sins.

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I hope this site can inspire me to think of bible more, to move away from the vices (lust, anger, greed, etc) and toward virtues (courage, justice, fortitude and temperance), forgiving enemies not looking at a women in lust, etc. And, you know, to be inspired/ motivated that others are in the same boat (Noah's ark over waters of sin?)
Welcome christianstudyattempt.

One of my favorite Bible characters is Noah.
One of my earliest memories was of Mom teaching Sunday school and I still remember the subject was about Noah and the flood in one of her classes. Dad would fill up the car at the gas station. They had a new pair of plastic animals available every week with each fill up. We got the whole set and the ark after the set was complete.

Did anyone ever explain why Noah was spared and not the rest of the world from judgement?

Mar 7, 2023
Welcome christianstudyattempt.

One of my favorite Bible characters is Noah.
One of my earliest memories was of Mom teaching Sunday school and I still remember the subject was about Noah and the flood in one of her classes. Dad would fill up the car at the gas station. They had a new pair of plastic animals available every week with each fill up. We got the whole set and the ark after the set was complete.

Did anyone ever explain why Noah was spared and not the rest of the world from judgement?
I think it says he was perfect in his generations, I think meaning virtuous. Sounds like you had a loving family.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I hope this site can inspire me to think of bible more, to move away from the vices (lust, anger, greed, etc) and toward virtues (courage, justice, fortitude and temperance), forgiving enemies not looking at a women in lust, etc. And, you know, to be inspired/ motivated that others are in the same boat (Noah's ark over waters of sin?) Anyways, glad to be here and to try to be better by the grace of god.
Hello ChristianStudyAttempt, welcome to CChat! I'm glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :) Thank you for telling us a little bit about yourself too :giggle:

As for moving away from sin and towards righteousness, I think that you are on the right track (y)(y) For instance (in small part),

Psalm 1
1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.
Psalm 119
9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word.
11 Thy word I have ~treasured/hidden~ in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee.
John 17
17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed ~by the renewing of your mind~, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

God bless you!! (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - the practice of our Christian spiritual disciplines (e.g. Bible Study, Prayer, Fellowship and Witnessing) continues to help me in my daily walk before Him, but nothing has come close to the profound difference that memory work (of specific verses and passages) has made (especially in walking further and further away from sin, in BOTH deed and thought). If you'd like to know more, just PM me (as I would be happy to help you get started if you'd like me to). e.g. The Navigators'
Topical Memory System (Apple and Android apps of The Navigators' TMS are now available AND recommended, just FYI)

Pink - Grieving Over Sin.jpg

Mar 7, 2023
Hello ChristianStudyAttempt, welcome to CChat! I'm glad that you found us and joined in the discussions with us :) Thank you for telling us a little bit about yourself too :giggle:

As for moving away from sin and towards righteousness, I think that you are on the right track (y)(y) For instance (in small part),

Psalm 1
1 How blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked,
Nor stand in the path of sinners,
Nor sit in the seat of scoffers!
2 But his delight is in the law of the LORD,
And in His law he meditates day and night.
3 He will be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water,
Which yields its fruit in its season
And its leaf does not wither;
And in whatever he does, he prospers.
Psalm 119
9 How can a young man keep his way pure? By keeping it according to Thy word.
11 Thy word I have ~treasured/hidden~ in my heart, that I may not sin against Thee.
John 17
17 Sanctify them by Your truth. Your word is truth.
Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed ~by the renewing of your mind~, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

God bless you!! (1 Thessalonians 5:23-24)

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - the practice of our Christian spiritual disciplines (e.g. Bible Study, Prayer, Fellowship and Witnessing) continues to help me in my daily walk before Him, but nothing has come close to the profound difference that memory work (of specific verses and passages) has made (especially in walking further and further away from sin, in BOTH deed and thought). If you'd like to know more, just PM me (as I would be happy to help you get started if you'd like me to). e.g. The Navigators'
Topical Memory System (Apple and Android apps of The Navigators' TMS are now available AND recommended, just FYI)

I likely would benefit from talking to you. The selection of verses is very useful. It may be that part of fighting sin is to fill the mind with scripture to display the room sinful thoughts take up. I'm looking a bit at christian history as well, as there is a lot of it, and saints could be inspirational. The bible and inspirational Christians are great- but also community! I'm more of a loner by nature, but it helps to have other people to talk with and remind/ inspire me on the right path. The cross we carry each day are the temptations we fight each day, with the sword of the word, but the battle goes on even after a victory. Complacency or pride can be a risk. Knowledge which leads to arrogance and lack of love is a risk. So, habit and humility will be good.
God bless you. I pray he rewards you abundantly for your love of his law! Amen.

Bingo

Feb 9, 2019
R (8) - Copy - Copy - Copy - Copy.jpg
"I hope you come to find and learn spiritual understanding within these pages."

HealthAndHappiness

Jul 7, 2022
Almost Heaven West Virginia
I think it says he was perfect in his generations, I think meaning virtuous. Sounds like you had a loving family.
Yes, he was and he walked with God.
☕🙂👍
We know that he wasn't perfect in his generations as in sinless perfect because "there is not a just man upon the earth that doeth good and sinneth not." He also got drunk later. The verse just prior to the one you quoted is,
"But Noah found grace in the eyes of the LORD."

This is the first time in the Bible the word "grace " is used. Grace is usually defined as the kindness/ favor that God gives, that is unearned/undeserved.
One way I think about it is the acronym God's Riches At Christ's Expense
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast."
Ephesians 2

The One Door reminds me of the one door to the sheepfold, which is Jesus Christ.

"Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep.
I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture."
John 10:7,9

That occured to me when I started raising a bunch of animals from around the world, not much after I too learned of the grace of God through faith in His only begotten Son.

shittim

Dec 16, 2016
"Knowledge which leads to arrogance and lack of love is a risk. "

I think I have seen that, thank you and blessings to you, welcome to CC, friend!:)(y):unsure::coffee:

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I likely would benefit from talking to you. The selection of verses is very useful. It may be that part of fighting sin is to fill the mind with scripture to display the room sinful thoughts take up. I'm looking a bit at christian history as well, as there is a lot of it, and saints could be inspirational. The bible and inspirational Christians are great- but also community! I'm more of a loner by nature, but it helps to have other people to talk with and remind/ inspire me on the right path. The cross we carry each day are the temptations we fight each day, with the sword of the word, but the battle goes on even after a victory. Complacency or pride can be a risk. Knowledge which leads to arrogance and lack of love is a risk. So, habit and humility will be good.
Who are you?

That's the question that needs answers...not really asked by me but by you.

Who do you want to be?
Others will know who and what you are by the things you do and say.
What and who do they say you are if asked?

And you already seem to understand the main tenants of the Faith.

Yes, the Bible is a great book full of answers of how to live the Christian life....but it's a LOT of study to understand it. All the sciences of Anthropology, sociology, history, geography, and topography....even horticulture and agriculture. Then the all arts of literature....especially poetry and all the metaphors, allusion, simile, allegory, syndoche, palladromes and many more...some of which are truly only Hebrew only in character.
The Bible itself is a miraculous book. 66 books by 40+ authors over a period of more than 1500 years....and today we can't get two writers to agree about much of anything but the Bible agrees perfectly. So it's unique in that.

Be the man you want to be. Work it out between you and God very very carefully.

Actions become a label. As in how many lies does it take to be a liar? Or how many things must you steal to become a thief?

Conversely how many acts of charity before you are altruistic? How many acts of kindness before it becomes a label? (I think you get it)

So after all this long winded post....do you understand the question?

Who are YOU?

GRACE_ambassador

Feb 22, 2021
Midwest
I hope this site can inspire me to think of bible more, to move away from...fill the mind with scripture to display the room sinful thoughts take up.
Amen! And, Precious friend, A Very Warm Welcome To Chat.

I will pray for you - hope these studies will be helpful on your journey:

GRACE Word for our infirmities

Please Be Very RICHLY Encouraged And Edified In
The LORD JESUS CHRIST, And His Word Of Truth, Rightly
Divided
(+ I and II).

Grace, Peace, And JOY!… + RICH Blessings

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Welcome, dear brother!
Let us walk the rest of the Way together and encourage one another as we grow in the grace, knowledge and wisdom of God's Word! :)(y):coffee:

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I likely would benefit from talking to you.
You are welcome to do so anytime, of course, whether on a thread like this one, or via PM if you'd prefer :)

The selection of verses is very useful. It may be that part of fighting sin is to fill the mind with scripture to display the room sinful thoughts take up. I'm looking a bit at christian history as well, as there is a lot of it, and saints could be inspirational. The bible and inspirational Christians are great- but also community! I'm more of a loner by nature, but it helps to have other people to talk with and remind/ inspire me on the right path.
Yes, I have found that to be correct. Growth in both the knowledge and understanding of God's word pushes the mental garbage that is stored up there in our noggins to the back-burner (so to speak), and then eventually, out of our minds altogether (and for good).

I found this to be particularly true in the case of memorizing God's word (I'm not sure why that is true about memory work, but I suspect that it's due to gaining such a deep knowledge and understanding of the verses and passages that we memorize that they become a part of us in a very special way, a way that is typically not possible from Bible study alone.

It certainly makes it far more difficult to sin (once you begin to memorize Scripture, that is), because whenever you are tempted to do so, the Holy Spirit brings a couple of your perfectly memorized verses to the forefront of your mind to clearly remind you why you shouldn't do so ;)

It's not for everyone, of course (it's hard work and it even feels a bit legalistic at first because it is so much work), but if you are willing to commit to doing it there is no other Christian spiritual discipline that will be more of a help and a blessing to your walk before Him in this life.

In truth (and sadly), I'm not sure that I would have ever chosen to do so on my own, rather, I did so because I was required to (as part of the Navigators' program that I was in at the time), but I am now so VERY thankful that I was (y)(y)

Thank you brother :giggle:

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - here is one of my very favorite passages from the Bible if you'd care to read it (do you know what a Mezuzah is? :)).

Deuteronomy 11
18 You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.
19 You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up.
20 You shall write them on the doorposts of your house and on your gates,
21 so that your days and the days of your sons may be multiplied on the land which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens remain above the earth.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Mar 7, 2023
You are welcome to do so anytime, of course, whether on a thread like this one, or via PM if you'd prefer :)

Yes, I have found that to be correct. Growth in both the knowledge and understanding of God's word pushes the mental garbage that is stored up there in our noggins to the back-burner (so to speak), and then eventually, out of our minds altogether (and for good).

I found this to be particularly true in the case of memorizing God's word (I'm not sure why that is true about memory work, but I suspect that it's due to gaining such a deep knowledge and understanding of the verses and passages that we memorize that they become a part of us in a very special way, a way that is typically not possible from Bible study alone.

It certainly makes it far more difficult to sin (once you begin to memorize Scripture, that is), because whenever you are tempted to do so, the Holy Spirit brings a couple of your perfectly memorized verses to the forefront of your mind to clearly remind you why you shouldn't do so ;)

It's not for everyone, of course (it's hard work and it even feels a bit legalistic at first because it is so much work), but if you are willing to commit to doing it there is no other Christian spiritual discipline that will be more of a help and a blessing to your walk before Him in this life.

In truth (and sadly), I'm not sure that I would have ever chosen to do so on my own, rather, I did so because I was required to (as part of the Navigators' program that I was in at the time), but I am now so VERY thankful that I was (y)(y)

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy
p.s. - here is one of my very favorite passages from the Bible if you'd care to read it (do you know what a Mezuzah is? :)).

Deuteronomy 11
18 You shall therefore impress these words of mine on your heart and on your soul; and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontals on your forehead.
19 You shall teach them to your sons, talking of them when you sit in your house and when you walk along the road and when you lie down and when you rise up.
21 so that your days and the days of your sons may be multiplied on the land which the LORD swore to your fathers to give them, as long as the heavens remain above the earth.
Thanks for the response! I got a bit busy and tired, etc the last few days. I do know what a mezuzah is, and I've studied Jewish customs and law a bit (Zohar, Talmud, but only more recently thus not too deep)

God bless you!!

~Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy 11
Hmmm. Maybe Moses would be a good topic here. Moses isn't the first covenant or the first person mentioned in the bible, but he does stand out as the first giver of laws and I think the biggest personality of the old testament. Yes, his writing is only the very first section, but it sets the rules and the principles that give rise to the nation, but also the critiques of that nation by the prophets.
Also, he seems to work a lot with Aaron and Mariam. What do you think his siblings brought to his project? I like to think the three treasures in the Ark of the commandments, the staff of Aaron and the container of Manna are from Moses, his brother and his sister, but that's just a guess.
I am some days tired, so sorry if I seem to lag. I appreciate your comments and your biblical knowledge.
As to a mezuzah, it's a pius and cool thing, so long as it isn't just an empty practice, as with any other religious act the piety and love have to be in it, not arrogance or ritualistic "gods of the fathers" mechanical motions. You, I know, would have it and mean it.

Mar 7, 2023
Hello again @christianstudyattempt, I forgot to mention a book that I think you may find helpful. It's a Christian Classic from the 17th Century called, The Mortification of Sin, by Puritan, John Owen, but this version (translation) has been updated into more modern English.

You can read a bit more about it at the link below if you'd care to.
~Deuteronomy
I havent read anything by purtians, save the speeches of Oliver Cromwell when I was studying english history a bit. I should check that out.