Hints & tips to save money forum.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
I couldn't believe the counter as the change was being filtered into the machine. I had double bagged plastic grocery bags so there would be less chance of one splitting due to the coin weight. I never imagined I'd have that much money collected in an old family pickle jar.
It figures to about $50 dollars a month saved from coins in my pocket. Seven days a week per month. Not bad.

I loved the tellers eyes when she read the coin count after I handed her the change receipt so she could cash it out. :giggle:
She commented, somebody's thrifty. :LOL:
I love it.

von1

Apr 22, 2010
In Canada we already lost our pennies! I wonder what we will say now? "Time to nudge a nickel?".
Its been awhile, have gotten pennies from Canada in my change here in Georgia.

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
Its been awhile, have gotten pennies from Canada in my change here in Georgia.
Some people have used their leftover pennies to make mosaic table tops and even sealed them into floor designs. Think of us kindly when you see our pennies. I love Georgia. :)

laughingheart

Sep 21, 2016
They've been threatening to discontinue pennies for a long time, I'll believe it when I see it.
Not sure it will happen in the U.S. but it has in Canada. Now we play this gambling game. If the price of an item is like $4.01 or $4.02 they round it down to $4.00 and if it is $4.03 or $4.04 they round it up to $4.05. I find myself waiting for the final cost, once they add the tax, to see if I won or lost. Yes my world is small and I am easily amused, lol.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Not sure it will happen in the U.S. but it has in Canada. Now we play this gambling game. If the price of an item is like $4.01 or $4.02 they round it down to $4.00 and if it is $4.03 or $4.04 they round it up to $4.05. I find myself waiting for the final cost, once they add the tax, to see if I won or lost. Yes my world is small and I am easily amused, lol.
I'm sure over the long run it balances out.

I know that an article I read over 20 years ago promoted eliminating the penny to save the US Mint money. The penny costs more than it's face value to produce and in order to maintain the number in circulation the mint has to produce a ridiculous number every year. Most people will stop to pick up a quarter if the drop it, but most people won't waste the time for a penny.

T

tasha66

I thought I'd post some ideas re saving water.
Have you ever thought about ways to save on the water you use? I bet many of you have. I bet you also haven't really thought about how much water you waste just at home. We all know that the water on our planet will not last forever, that the polar ice caps are melting, etc - it's a precious reource that we should be thinking about every day.
Here are some things that may help you save on water - and on your water bill too:
- Go and buy a timer from your local hardware store, which usually stocks them, & fit them to your shower. Have 3 minute showers. You'd be surprised how much water you waste in the shower, and how much time too, when you don't use a timer!
- Only wash your hair once a week. Or you can buy dry shampoos/conditioners which I've used when travelling. You can also try combing shampoo and/or conditioner through your hair, then continually rinsing the comb in a bowl of water, and comb the shamp/cond out. If I put mousse in my hair, I find I can just comb it out later & towel dry my hair, instead of having a shower just to wash the mousse out.
- Get your hair cut shorter or thinned out, so you don't have to wash & maintain it as much.
- Try using baby wet wipes to wash with instead. These are handy when travelling, for freshening up, or when you don't have time to have a shower. I carry some with me, and they are very handy when I'm out. I also find they don't irritate my skin as much as showering every day would (I have horrid, red, rough skin especially on my arms). Some women might be worried about smelling 'down there', but I've found the scented ones freshen me up really nice, and leave no awful smells. You can also use them to freshen up before bed, instead of showering. You can buy scented or unscented wet wipes & they are for babies, so are kind to your skin.
- Put a bucket in the shower when you are showering which will catch any extra water, which you can then put on your garden.
- Attach a long outlet hose to your washing machine, and put it out into the back / front yard. The grey water will help keep your garden nice.
- Only use the half flusher on your toilet for 'small ablutions'.
- Use hand gel for your hands instead of washing them, unless visibly soiled. You can waste heaps of water just by washing your hands alone.
- Get a water tank if you don't already have one, and you can use rain water, as opposed to tap water, for some things like washing a fragile piece of clothing by hand.
- Wash clothing by hand if possible (or if you only have a few things to wash), in a small bucket like a nappy bucket. Rinse with another bucket with just as much water as you need. I find there's no need to rinse alot of things I use, like towels and hand towels.
- Only fill your kettle with the amount of water and a wee bit more that you need to boil it. Boiling heaps of water just makes it evaporate, and wastes more electricity.
- Instead of filling up your whole sink to wash dishes, put a basin in there instead, and only use enough water that you need to wash the dishes. Sometimes, I just wet a cloth, put a wee bit of washing up liquid on it and wipe down my few bits of cutlery and my plates/bowls, but there's only me so I don't use that many dishes. I also find there is no need to rinse dishes after washing them - just dry them with a towel, and you don't need to use much dishwashing liquid to get dishes clean.
- Most dishwashers have a setting for economy use. Use that one instead of a longer setting.
-Use an old fashioned watering can for the garden, instead of a hose or sprinkler.
- Use de-greaser to get motor oil & other grease off of your hands, and wipe them with a towel before washing them.
- Water plants and lawns at night only, as plants open their leaves at night. Water just evaporates during the day.
- Lobby your local council/local government office to supply hand gels in council offices, etc. Using hand gels eliminates the need for paper towels in wash rooms, which don't then end up in landfill or in our oceans.

These are some methods my Dad put in place, and my parents save heaps on their water bills.
Please feel free to add your own ideas on here!

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Tasha, this belongs on your thread in Miscellaneous. THAT'S where people need to post their tips and hints. :) Not here in the site suggestions forum..

M

morefaithrequired

Be a tightwad