Hippies

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
was the Jesus movement part of the hippie era/hippies?

I can think of when yuppies came to Christ it was kind of relabelled 'the purpose driven life' eg CEOs became pastors and vice versa. That was in the early 2000s I think...

rise of the 'mega church' etc

O

Oblio

I can think of when yuppies came to Christ it was kind of relabelled 'the purpose driven life' eg CEOs became pastors and vice versa. That was in the early 2000s I think...

rise of the 'mega church' etc
This is a good video. I used to be part of the Vineyard movement.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
This is a good video. I used to be part of the Vineyard movement.
interesting we dont have many cavalry chapels in nz but there are vineyard churches. I dont know if the Jesus movement was related to charismatic movement or did that come later?

There are a few christian communes still existing but they tend to be fringe/extremist.

O

Oblio

interesting we dont have many cavalry chapels in nz but there are vineyard churches. I dont know if the Jesus movement was related to charismatic movement or did that come later?

There are a few christian communes still existing but they tend to be fringe/extremist.
The Vineyard movement started with a single group, whereas the Charismatic movement was among more mainline churches. I think they both began around the same time.
Many communes did have troubles.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Good posts (#42 & #44) by Oblio.
---
'Jesus Movement'
The Move of God/Revival..among young people.
- in United States..& beyond.
---
I was at the men's breakfast meeting..a few years ago.
Young fellow gave the presentation.
He said,
" We have..advanced technology, modern conveniences, many churches/programs, etc..
But my generation is lost.."
- & asked for advice/help.
- He was the youngest one!..at the meeting.
---
During the discussion time..
- One fellow on our table said,
"They need the 'Jesus Movement".

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Just wondered what made people hippies.
Was it just a generational thing of the 60s or was it all the stuff in the drugs they took.

Now the children of hippies have grown up I wonder how having hippie parents affected them. Is anyone actually still a hippie these days?

I mean children are no strangers to their own parents doing drugs and acting immature now.
It was a convergence of many factors all coming together.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
The long hair thing...I find strange because short hair is so much easier to look after. Many women have shorter hair because long hair would get in the way...guys pull it, it gets stuck in machines. its annoying. I mean its beautiful, but beautiful isnt always practical. Also having a lot of hair can give you headaches. And its a pain to wash.

?! Maybe guys grew their hair long just to experience what it was like to be female and emphasise with the plight I dont know. But I notice many cant look after their long hair, it goes all ratty with split ends etc and the. they just end up tying it in a greasy ponytail.
They grew long hair in reaction to their parents having short hair. It was called the counterculture: they rejected the values and traditions of their parents, usually without even thinking about it. They just wanted to be different.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
Yes. A lot of them started becoming disillusioned with drugs and the promises of the gurus. The Manson family happened. They were looking for a better way.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
They grew long hair in reaction to their parents having short hair. It was called the counterculture: they rejected the values and traditions of their parents, usually without even thinking about it. They just wanted to be different.
I didnt know that short hair was a 'value' or 'tradition". I am supposing long skirts were the same and women just wanted them shorter hence mini skirts...not really in reaction to their parents as much but fashion. People got tired of it?

I heard that the army wanted men to have short hair and clean shaven for it to fit under helmets and be uniform. So as a protest men grew their hair long.

Im wondering when the hippies became parents if their children did a counterculture to their parents. if you watch the comedy tv show Absolutely Fabulous Saffy countercultures her hippie mother by being so square. lol

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Yes. A lot of them started becoming disillusioned with drugs and the promises of the gurus. The Manson family happened. They were looking for a better way.
what do you mean 'the Manson family happened...?'
I heard about 'happenings' but I would have thought the US president being shot and killed would have affected people even worse. People couldnt trust the govt to run the country or each other if leaders could just be assasinated.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Good posts (#42 & #44) by Oblio.
---
'Jesus Movement'
The Move of God/Revival..among young people.
- in United States..& beyond.
---
I was at the men's breakfast meeting..a few years ago.
Young fellow gave the presentation.
He said,
" We have..advanced technology, modern conveniences, many churches/programs, etc..
But my generation is lost.."
- & asked for advice/help.
- He was the youngest one!..at the meeting.
---
During the discussion time..
- One fellow on our table said,
"They need the 'Jesus Movement".
Every generation is lost if their parents fail to love them. Is my view...many parents instincitvely push their children away and it isnt that the children necessarily WANT to be different. They just naturally are.

I think being conscripted into the army isnt exactly what parents wanted for their children/offspring either.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
Every generation is lost if their parents fail to love them. Is my view...many parents instincitvely push their children away and it isnt that the children necessarily WANT to be different. They just naturally are.

I think being conscripted into the army isnt exactly what parents wanted for their children/offspring either.
I agree with you..about parent & child issue.
- It is a known/acknowledged issue(problem).
---
From my post..
When the young fellow said..
- "my generation is lost.."
He was talking about..
- the search for the meaning of life, spiritual issue, etc..
---
With advanced technology, modern conveniences, etc..
His generation is lost..still searching.
---
Young fellow was a committed Christian.
He was concerned about his generation.
- His view/perspective was..'the ultimate issue is spiritual (his generation).'
* You might not agree with his view..many people do not.
---
People at the breakfast meeting were committed Christians(with spiritual maturity)..& from older generation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I agree with you..about parent & child issue.
- It is a known/acknowledged issue(problem).
---
From my post..
When the young fellow said..
- "my generation is lost.."
He was talking about..
- the search for the meaning of life, spiritual issue, etc..
---
With advanced technology, modern conveniences, etc..
His generation is lost..still searching.
---
Young fellow was a committed Christian.
He was concerned about his generation.
- His view/perspective was..'the ultimate issue is spiritual (his generation).'
* You might not agree with his view..many people do not.
---
People at the breakfast meeting were committed Christians(with spiritual maturity)..& from older generation.
yes but you can still be lost when you are older if you havent found Christ (or even turn your back on Him) as its not like every generation is automatically Christian...

So I dont fully agree with it...there are lost people of all ages. Just because people are fully functioning members of society or successful doesnt mean they are christians either. Advanced technology doesnt mean anything just means you are might have a higher standard or faster pace of living than other people. It could also mean you more likely to die of cancer or heart disease.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Looking at the first world war..The US was not directly involved in that and thus had not asked people to fight but in Europe it was quite a number that didnt want to.
Though the steretoype in the UK was that you fought for 'King and country' and they also made other colonies fight their wars as well, many people saw it as adventure. Well there was a huge price to pay for that nonsense.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I wonder what would happen if people (men and women) were told to fight now (and have no choice about it) in any of the wars that countries govts have today.

I dont know if I would be that loyal to whoever is in power. Personally I would probably protest and tell them no. I dont want to be involved in your petty power politics. So I understand where hippies are coming from, when they were all for peace though I dont really get the drug thing.

Maybe at the time, all those drugs were so new they were like kids in a candy store and wanted to try them all, plus they didnt know about all the side effects.

Today the 'in drug' is actually vaping.

O

Oblio

I wonder what would happen if people (men and women) were told to fight now (and have no choice about it) in any of the wars that countries govts have today.

I dont know if I would be that loyal to whoever is in power. Personally I would probably protest and tell them no. I dont want to be involved in your petty power politics. So I understand where hippies are coming from, when they were all for peace though I dont really get the drug thing.

Maybe at the time, all those drugs were so new they were like kids in a candy store and wanted to try them all, plus they didnt know about all the side effects.

In the past, the enemy was without and easily identified. Today, the enemy is within. The hearts of people need to be changed, and only the Lord can do that. We need a move of God like we've never seen before. And for that, I believe we need to cry out to Him and give Him no rest until He moves!
Drugs were new back then. I recall realizing that what we were being told about drugs wasn't accurate, so I made the mistake of deciding they weren't that bad. Sigh. L.S.D. really messed me up in the early 70s. Live and learn...hopefully!

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI

do we know that all hippies drugs?

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
wasnt it pre 1960s everyone smoked cigarettes even doctors.
So hippies werent the only junkies.