Homeschool

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Are you homeschooled?

• Total voters
T

Tinuviel

Hey guys! Some other teens and I were talking about homeschooling on another thread, and I just thought it would be fun to see how many homeschoolers we have on here :). Anyone is welcome to participate, homeschooled or not.

1. Are you homeshcooled? (or have you been in the past?)
2. What is your favorite thing about being homeschooled?
3. What do you dislike about it?
4. Would you like to homeschool children of your own one day?

For you non-homeschoolers who want to join into the conversation, have you ever wanted to be homeschooled, and if so, what do you find cool about it? What do you think some drawbacks would be.

T

Tinuviel

Yes! I am homeschooled :). I am just finishing my last year of highschool at home

I love the flexibility. As I got older, mom and I would go over the books and set weekly goals in each subject. Then it was up to me to get it done. I could take a day off if I wanted or work extra and have a 3-day weekend and yeah <3 A younger-child version of this was when mom would take us to the park/pool/sledding hill in the mornings, and we'd do school in the afternoons instead of mornings. Thataway, you pretty much had it ALL to yourselves. I know, selfish lol.

I dislike the weird, monotonous questions lol

Yep, I'd probably homeshcool children of my own one day, but that's kinda far-off and scary sounding :p

G

Gracie_14

Hey guys! Some other teens and I were talking about homeschooling on another thread, and I just thought it would be fun to see how many homeschoolers we have on here :). Anyone is welcome to participate, homeschooled or not.

1. Are you homeshcooled? (or have you been in the past?)
2. What is your favorite thing about being homeschooled?
3. What do you dislike about it?
4. Would you like to homeschool children of your own one day?

For you non-homeschoolers who want to join into the conversation, have you ever wanted to be homeschooled, and if so, what do you find cool about it? What do you think some drawbacks would be.
hey Tinuviel!!

i am soooo thrilled you have brought this up! thank youuu soooo much, girl! :D

1. yes, i'm homeschooled, as you know. i am currently studying for my GCSEs (exams for secondary education…kinda like highschool level for Americans who dont know the British style of education) after my GCSEs, i'll be finished with homeschool :) cant't wait!

2. i love the felixibility and the ability to be able to study in an environment where you know you're safe. there is no worry for the teaching you may recieve that contdradict your beliefs. and i get to spend valuable time with my parents which is very important…there are so many things to love about it ;)

3. what i dislike about homeschooling is that you're not with friends as such. so, you kinda feel lonely at first but then you really dont mind as you get to befriend your siblings. friends will eventually come when you connect with other homeschoolers…so…thats just the only thing i can think of

4. i would LOVE to homeschool my children one day. to see the effect it has had on me…i would want to give the same privilege to my kids. :)

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Ok so I totally was home schooled and it was fine cuz we had papers and books and stuff you know school but at home i went to public school for the first time when i was in fifth grade and it was weird, i was awkward, and i was super shy and looked like a little girl *internally crying* but after a whike i got used to it and it was pretty easy. Freshman year i was holding it down like i was making those grades all A's cuz i was a beast right? Sophomore year NOPE i quit doing work and showing up to school on time so that messed up everything lol. During the summer is when I think I was saved and that just like shattered everything i thought about my life xD so when i was a junior i was doing my work again and caught up from all the class i missed pretty quickly. I went through that year like LIGHT WORK had to take algebra for the third time....not cuz i failed but because school is dumb. So senior year i had the bright idea to do k-12 so i could get away from the bad influences of school all the sinning there i thought was just to much.....worst idea I've ever made. Bruh do you understand how hard it is to show your work in TRIGONOMETRY on MICROSOFT WORD? I do mental math i skip most of the crap on paper so showing my work was hard already but now it's just plain frustrating i wanna rip my hair out....and i have a lot of long hair and i really like it so yea.....it sucks but yea moral of the story don't do k-12

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
hey Tinuviel!!

i am soooo thrilled you have brought this up! thank youuu soooo much, girl! :D

1. yes, i'm homeschooled, as you know. i am currently studying for my GCSEs (exams for secondary education…kinda like highschool level for Americans who dont know the British style of education) after my GCSEs, i'll be finished with homeschool :) cant't wait!

2. i love the felixibility and the ability to be able to study in an environment where you know you're safe. there is no worry for the teaching you may recieve that contdradict your beliefs. and i get to spend valuable time with my parents which is very important…there are so many things to love about it ;)

3. what i dislike about homeschooling is that you're not with friends as such. so, you kinda feel lonely at first but then you really dont mind as you get to befriend your siblings. friends will eventually come when you connect with other homeschoolers…so…thats just the only thing i can think of

4. i would LOVE to homeschool my children one day. to see the effect it has had on me…i would want to give the same privilege to my kids. :)
And yea i agree if i get to have kids I'm totally gonna try to get my wife to homeschool, not that i won't help but with work she'd be doing more then me, but yea we could totally homeschool children and it would be great cx......and by "try" i mean lady pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee homeschool my children cuz the public school system is terrible and I'm not sending them there o.o

becc

Mar 4, 2018
I won't vote rill i get this clear... is homeschooling like having teachers come to teach you at home throughout the time other kids are in a school.... somehow like an afterschool home lesson? Or holiday home coaching?

Isny

Jan 15, 2017
There are many advantages of home schooling children as mentioned above.

The greatest disadvantage is growing up without interaction with other children. Children should learn to play with other children.....sharing, taking turns, etc.

Furthermore, are parents knowledgeable in all school subjects especially in the upper grades?

Additionally, most all people (parents) have personal prejudices (good and bad) that could be passed on to the home schooled child. We learn so much from our parents, but we also should learn from others we interact with. We should have a well rounded education as we grow up.

T

Tinuviel

I won't vote rill i get this clear... is homeschooling like having teachers come to teach you at home throughout the time other kids are in a school.... somehow like an afterschool home lesson? Or holiday home coaching?
Use your better judgement :). In my country that would be called private tutoring, or something. "Homeschool" usually involves the parents teaching their own children, and sometimes a network of homeschool families who get together to learn and teach. But like I said, that's just here.

T

Tinuviel

There are many advantages of home schooling children as mentioned above.

The greatest disadvantage is growing up without interaction with other children. Children should learn to play with other children.....sharing, taking turns, etc.

Furthermore, are parents knowledgeable in all school subjects especially in the upper grades?

Additionally, most all people (parents) have personal prejudices (good and bad) that could be passed on to the home schooled child. We learn so much from our parents, but we also should learn from others we interact with. We should have a well rounded education as we grow up.
I actually think the GREATEST disadvantage to homeschooling is the broad-brush it gets painted with.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
Im not a fan of pure homeschool. Children should be prepared and see the pros and cons and make their own decision without always being held home and more or less even indoctrinated. Getting out into the word with homeschool is throwing ppl i to icy waters.
Jmo

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
I actually think the GREATEST disadvantage to homeschooling is the broad-brush it gets painted with.
I think you're right not just because your opinion but because of scripture i mean it says raise your children in the way they go and they won't depart from it but i can tell anyone that after being in both public school is a terrible place to put your children. Think about it you send your child to go hang out with the world cuz that's the majority to be taught things that completely go against the word of God so that they no longer are raised Godly or by the word. Then you have the bad kids that are most likely gonna peer pressure your child into a bunch of stuff, and a very common thing today is that kids always wanna be around their friends. Family is more of an annoyance, they just get in your way you wanna be around your friends all the time, it breaks down everything the Bible teaches it's the opposite of what you want to do, plus you basically get other people to raise your kids for you why have kids anyway? Now yea the social part CAN be strange but tim tebow isn't a weirdo and I'm not, well I'm not socially awkward for the most part, either so it's not that big of a deal and i was raised really different from most people even homeschooled people i didn't have interaction cuz my mom worked a lot. You could easily fix this by having multiple kids, friends and their kids over, or going to church I think it's the only way, at least in this day and age, that we can really raise our children the way God wanted us to, assuming you have both parents if not then that's gonna be difficult in itself but you get my point. Also for all the women or girls or whatevs that get told that stay at home moms or homeschooling moms or whatever aren't doing real work don't listen those people are ignorant and only care about money and reputation raising children is one of the most difficult things and the most responsible things you can do, if you stay at home and do nothing that's different lol.

T

Tinuviel

Im not a fan of pure homeschool. Children should be prepared and see the pros and cons and make their own decision without always being held home and more or less even indoctrinated. Getting out into the word with homeschool is throwing ppl i to icy waters.
Jmo
Christians should. Children, no! Until that child has come to an age when they are an adult and responsible for their own action, the parent is answerable to God for how they train them. Now, if the parents shelter them unwisely, of course there will be problems later, not saying there won't. But people are sinful. It isn't natural for a child to do what is right. They must be trained to do so, and then become salt and light to the world.

(That being said, if you're saying "pure homeschool" as in always staying at home and never getting out and hearing other's opinions, etc. etc. etc., I would probably agree...)

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
Christians should. Children, no! Until that child has come to an age when they are an adult and responsible for their own action, the parent is answerable to God for how they train them. Now, if the parents shelter them unwisely, of course there will be problems later, not saying there won't. But people are sinful. It isn't natural for a child to do what is right. They must be trained to do so, and then become salt and light to the world.

(That being said, if you're saying "pure homeschool" as in always staying at home and never getting out and hearing other's opinions, etc. etc. etc., I would probably agree...)
I think there's a place to tell you're children about other ideas and stuff but obviously we should guide them in the right direction i don't want my kids to be like me, how i grew up, at all but that doesn't mean i go to the opposite extreme and just start locking them in a closet ( you know except for my daughter cx) we aa people tend to go to the extremes a lot and it would help all of us if we just tried to find blanace like ^ she said in a way. Seriously though idk if i can have a daughter just the thought terrifies me. I basically have boys cuz I'm around and watching my nephews constantly but my niece nope NO and her mom's not Christian so it's sad......and girls are sassy like she's so young and already talking crap like fr?

T

Tinuviel

I think there's a place to tell you're children about other ideas and stuff but obviously we should guide them in the right direction i don't want my kids to be like me, how i grew up, at all but that doesn't mean i go to the opposite extreme and just start locking them in a closet ( you know except for my daughter cx) we aa people tend to go to the extremes a lot and it would help all of us if we just tried to find blanace like ^ she said in a way. Seriously though idk if i can have a daughter just the thought terrifies me. I basically have boys cuz I'm around and watching my nephews constantly but my niece nope NO and her mom's not Christian so it's sad......and girls are sassy like she's so young and already talking crap like fr?
I already feel for this daughter...poor girl :p

We were always shown the other opinion. How do you battle it, if you don't know what it is? As an example, we were taught creationism as children (call it indoctrination if you want, the Bible teaches teaching your children what you believe), but then as we got older, we were taught how evolution was supposed to work as well. At some point in my life, I had to make a conscious intellectual decision between the two.

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
I already feel for this daughter...poor girl :p

We were always shown the other opinion. How do you battle it, if you don't know what it is? As an example, we were taught creationism as children (call it indoctrination if you want, the Bible teaches teaching your children what you believe), but then as we got older, we were taught how evolution was supposed to work as well. At some point in my life, I had to make a conscious intellectual decision between the two.
Well i was taught creationism but like the most bootleg version ever my mom's actually not Christian i think she's more confused then anything she's trying to figure it out right now ig so i was taught like the barebone basics and wasn't saved till i was like 16 or close to it so i can say that i would've at the least started off my life in a better situation then how i did if i was taught biblically. But you are right we do have to make a choice and no matter howuch Bible we give our children it's ultimately by God's grace we can't force them to be anything, with that being said we should let them know the atheistic beliefs i think and stuff but I'm never gonna say that they are right lol I'm not supposed to say that because i have truth so you're right but going to public school isn't look at these points of view its evolution is fact that other crap is just made up fairy tales i was literally told that when i was in highschool no I'm not going to send my children to a place like that not when they are young and vulnerable nah I'm good on that especially my daughter as men and as a father we are supposed to protect her until she gets married ( if she gets married) then we trust in her husband to continue that in it's context but I don't have any reason to expose her to anything that opposed to God or those people there that are gonna make her feel like she's lame for being pure NOPE i will hurt some people. I totally agree with you but i kinda just started thinking out loud and yea......i'm not prepared to have a daughter i need like maturity and time for that cuz I'm not that dope and I'm really protective especially of women so good thing I don't have one....yet maybe idk YIU GET MY POINT

T

Tinuviel

Well i was taught creationism but like the most bootleg version ever my mom's actually not Christian i think she's more confused then anything she's trying to figure it out right now ig so i was taught like the barebone basics and wasn't saved till i was like 16 or close to it so i can say that i would've at the least started off my life in a better situation then how i did if i was taught biblically. But you are right we do have to make a choice and no matter howuch Bible we give our children it's ultimately by God's grace we can't force them to be anything, with that being said we should let them know the atheistic beliefs i think and stuff but I'm never gonna say that they are right lol I'm not supposed to say that because i have truth so you're right but going to public school isn't look at these points of view its evolution is fact that other crap is just made up fairy tales i was literally told that when i was in highschool no I'm not going to send my children to a place like that not when they are young and vulnerable nah I'm good on that especially my daughter as men and as a father we are supposed to protect her until she gets married ( if she gets married) then we trust in her husband to continue that in it's context but I don't have any reason to expose her to anything that opposed to God or those people there that are gonna make her feel like she's lame for being pure NOPE i will hurt some people. I totally agree with you but i kinda just started thinking out loud and yea......i'm not prepared to have a daughter i need like maturity and time for that cuz I'm not that dope and I'm really protective especially of women so good thing I don't have one....yet maybe idk YIU GET MY POINT
In a nutshell: Truth is not relative! :eek:. You're not "indoctrinating" when you're teaching the truth. If your math teacher gave you a choice and said "2x2 is 4 for most people, but it is relative" and you decide you want 2x2 to be -400 you're gonna fail a test. And what are you going to think? "Gosh, I was SO lied to." And yet, we teach the relative truth in other places, and it is embraced. But what do you think that little girl who was told she could be a boy is going to think when the Lord returns? "Gosh, I was SO lied to."

LightBright

Mar 18, 2017
In a nutshell: Truth is not relative! :eek:. You're not "indoctrinating" when you're teaching the truth. If your math teacher gave you a choice and said "2x2 is 4 for most people, but it is relative" and you decide you want 2x2 to be -400 you're gonna fail a test. And what are you going to think? "Gosh, I was SO lied to." And yet, we teach the relative truth in other places, and it is embraced. But what do you think that little girl who was told she could be a boy is going to think when the Lord returns? "Gosh, I was SO lied to."
YIU XD good rhing you're serious right now , I don't see that from you much, but anyway yea pretty much it's really quite sad i have some "lesbian" sisters so it's not always easy to hang out with them since they can be passive aggressive at times plus I'm not gonna just sugar-coat things for them. I really need to pray for them and my whole family really I don't always do that sadly, but hopefully I'm a good example at the least. Have you ever tried to confront someone about something like that? I don't do it often but when i do I'm almost always terrified to speak kinda lame right?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Jmo
I believe that those that are home are isolated from their peers that are in an active social setting in school. I agree with your estimation of home school. You can learn a lot of social skills in an actual school setting that will help prepare you for adult life.

Demi777

Oct 13, 2014
Germany
I believe that those that are home are isolated from their peers that are in an active social setting in school. I agree with your estimation of home school. You can learn a lot of social skills in an actual school setting that will help prepare you for adult life.
Plus free will and homeschooling dont mix. Theres a gopd reason why the bible speaks of the sins of youth. It forms everyone and homeschooling either makes rebels or robots. God doesnt want either of that. He wants us to choose for ourselves and not others for us

EmilyNats

Jul 28, 2016
1. I was homeschooled! As many of you know :rolleyes:

2. My favorite thing was - and this is going to sound awful - I could stay in bed late, and just generally be lazy. I miss that XD

3. I disliked the seclusion. Part of it was because we were moving around a lot, but honestly, my dad is just pretty paranoid about everything. Huge bummer. I mean, I kind of understand where he's coming from, but it is still such a headache.

4. I don't really know, at this point. A lot of it would depend on where I am living at the time. If the local school is pretty good, then I would be open to allowing them to go there, if they wanted. But I am still thinking about that one.