Honesty and School Tardiness

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Hey guys, I think a rule (that doesn’t really seem to be enforced, if I’m not mistaken) at my high school is that if ur not in ur class by 7:20 and the bell rings, u late bro, and u gotta go back to the front office and get u a pass. However, it seems as though in the past I haven’t always done this, both this year and the year before.

A teacher seems to be able to mark a student as absent, present, or tardy.

There was, I think at least one instance where I showed up late to class, but the teacher wasn’t in the room and I never told her.

I’m not even sure myself of my middle school tardiness and honesty.

My concern is regarding honesty pertaining to official forms and getting the deserved punishment, and I guess just honesty.

I asked a teacher if I needed to get a pass when I showed up to her class late, and she said like you're fine, my class is far away anyway. I’m not certain, but I’m guessing she marked me as tardy.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?

T

TheIndianGirl

I think you have to use your judgement on this. If you are one minute late, I think you can go straight to your class as class has not commenced. However if you are late by five minutes or more you should get the late pass.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
I think you have to use your judgement on this. If you are one minute late, I think you can go straight to your class as class has not commenced. However if you are late by five minutes or more you should get the late pass.
Hmm, what about the times in the past I haven’t gotten a late pass?

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Thank you replying btw :D

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
be honest but seems like your teacher has given you grace so, dont worry too much about it.

I was late for work yesterday and when I got in I just said sorry, I also took a bit longer in my break as I was eating and it took ages, (i had a sore mouth and couldnt finish my food quickly) yes, he was a bit mad but he forgave me.

Then found out my watch was slow so I put it forward to the right time cos THAT was making me late too.

Thing is I will make the effort to be on time next time. Some days you just have a bad day.

T

TheIndianGirl

Hmm, what about the times in the past I haven’t gotten a late pass?
You can't change the past now; what's done is done. Going forward, you should get the late pass if you are reasonably late (based on your judgement and conscience). However, if you are barely late (within a minute), I think it is fine to go straight to class.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
You can't change the past now; what's done is done. Going forward, you should get the late pass if you are reasonably late (based on your judgement and conscience). However, if you are barely late (within a minute), I think it is fine to go straight to class.
Hmm, I mean for previous school years maybe. But what about this year? Do you think it might be wroth seeing if I can get stuff changed?

G

Godsgirl83

Well first of all what is the reason for the tardiness?
If it's genuine due to the distance of point A to point B and the teacher is understanding and gracious about it then it might not be something to fret over.
However, if your late because you've been chit chatting with your pals and losing track of time, or some other situation similar, then yes get the pass and work on cutting those situations out so it doesn't continue to happen.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Well first of all what is the reason for the tardiness?
If it's genuine due to the distance of point A to point B and the teacher is understanding and gracious about it then it might not be something to fret over.
However, if your late because you've been chit chatting with your pals and losing track of time, or some other situation similar, then yes get the pass and work on cutting those situations out so it doesn't continue to happen.
Hmm, I think the primary thing regarding my tardiness is coming to school and arriving to class on time. I assume you’re referring to chit chatting with people like in the hallways without really going to a certain destination point, but I don’t really do this. When it comes to going from point A to point B, I assume you’re referring to either going from like home to school or I assume you’re referring to going from class A to class B. For the latter, I don’t think this is possible for me if I’m diligent, and for going from home to school, it’s like 10 minutes away (I could be better with taking shorter showers; it’s like my escapism).

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
well its better to make the effort to be on time rather than have to get a late pass everyday is it?

Put your watch back a few minutes and you will be early for everything.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
well its better to make the effort to be on time rather than have to get a late pass everyday is it?

Put your watch back a few minutes and you will be early for everything.
For sure.
Also I don’t think I have a real watch lol, but I have a phone which is pretty much a watch

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
or your phone

the one your mum says dont answer unknown phone calls on.

But it might pay to just wear a wristwatch. I know some people just dont wear them, but when I need to be on time for things I can just look at my watch rather than guess or dig around in my bag or pocket.

They shouldnt be too expensive though a good one is meant to last a lifetime. If you going to be working some workplaces are sticklers for time. Its something you need to learn because rosters and schedules are how a lot of things run...often to the minute.

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
or your phone

But it might pay to just wear a wristwatch. I know some people just dont wear them, but when I need to be on time for things I can just look at my watch rather than guess or dig around in my bag or pocket.

They shouldnt be too expensive though a good one is meant to last a lifetime. If you going to be working some workplaces are sticklers for time. Its something you need to learn because rosters and schedules are how a lot of things run...often to the minute.
I think I have a Fitbit at home, and I might get in the future a wristwatch for primarily like telling time, but for now it might not be necessary (thank you nonetheless though)

M

MoonCresta

Twistii - I'm glad I read through this, if only to drop this nugget. Indian Girl is absolutely right - every error in life is best handled from this moment forward. Business policies, procedures, new way of doing things. We can't always go back and correct every little thing we've done wrong, but we can determine ourselves to be better in the future.

Unless you've committed a grievous wrong against someone, been angry with, ran over their cat :eek: just do better from this moment on.

And dang, Girl/Guy, you're never going to be perfect - don't demand perfection of yourself - you're going to drive yourself looney! Let God perfect you over time. He will!

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
I think in the past there was one time I showed up late (this was the first class of the day) and the teacher wasn’t in the room so she probably didn’t notice.

Let’s say for the sake of argument that she marked me as present (or something like that) and not tardy.

Technically it wouldn’t be accurate data.

You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to I guess, but what do u think?

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
@Lanolin
or your phone

this isn’t rlly a response to ur msg, but what do you think of message #15 up there?

M

MoonCresta

I think in the past there was one time I showed up late (this was the first class of the day) and the teacher wasn’t in the room so she probably didn’t notice.

Let’s say for the sake of argument that she marked me as present (or something like that) and not tardy.

Technically it wouldn’t be accurate data.

You don’t have to answer if you don’t want to I guess, but what do u think?

Twistii - unless you are getting the perfect attendance award at the end of the year, it's no biggie. Then it would bother me - if I were in your place.

Here's an idea - why don't you go ahead and just hang around after class one day and tell your teacher? If your teacher doesn't give you a big hug for your honesty, then she's wrong!

Twistii

Apr 9, 2021
Twistii - unless you are getting the perfect attendance award at the end of the year, it's no biggie. Then it would bother me - if I were in your place.

Here's an idea - why don't you go ahead and just hang around after class one day and tell your teacher? If your teacher doesn't give you a big hug for your honesty, then she's wrong!
I might have to go see her at one point outside of classes maybe since I don’t have her anymore haha

But hypothetically speaking, if I and some other person were applying to a college, and I don’t know, maybe the college only has one spot left, and let’s say I and that other person were so close in terms of our quality as students that tardiness affected who got in and who didn’t.

Basically, what if my tardiness data (if it’s inaccurate) basically got me into a college and someone else not into that college, but if my tardiness data was accurate (assuming it’s actually inaccurate) they would have gotten in the college instead of me.

This is probably like, a very very rare and very very improbable thing but idk, what do you think?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Hey guys, I think a rule (that doesn’t really seem to be enforced, if I’m not mistaken) at my high school is that if ur not in ur class by 7:20 and the bell rings, u late bro, and u gotta go back to the front office and get u a pass. However, it seems as though in the past I haven’t always done this, both this year and the year before.

A teacher seems to be able to mark a student as absent, present, or tardy.

There was, I think at least one instance where I showed up late to class, but the teacher wasn’t in the room and I never told her.

I’m not even sure myself of my middle school tardiness and honesty.

My concern is regarding honesty pertaining to official forms and getting the deserved punishment, and I guess just honesty.

I asked a teacher if I needed to get a pass when I showed up to her class late, and she said like you're fine, my class is far away anyway. I’m not certain, but I’m guessing she marked me as tardy.

Do you guys have any thoughts on this?
Try to get to class on time and develop the discipline of punctuality, an attribute which is a key foundation block of being successful in life, especially in the workplace.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
or your phone

I have made it a point to always wear a watch too.