How are we blessing our meals?

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Crustyone

Senior Member
Mar 15, 2015
697
50
28
I could probably find, or come to some conclusion about, this on my own, but I would feel better about it if more knowledgeable people than me could tell me an answer. The question: When we ask the Lords blessing on our food, are we asking Him to bless it so that it will not harm us spiritually or physically, or are we thanking Him for having blessed us with the food? I am leaning toward the first answer, but what say you?
 
I could probably find, or come to some conclusion about, this on my own, but I would feel better about it if more knowledgeable people than me could tell me an answer. The question: When we ask the Lords blessing on our food, are we asking Him to bless it so that it will not harm us spiritually or physically, or are we thanking Him for having blessed us with the food? I am leaning toward the first answer, but what say you?

I'd say both especially with GMO food we have these days......
 
Just google food poisoning at church dinners

You will see how important it is

(Unless they just forgot)

I didn't even think of that reason. I think unclean food is mentioned in relation to blessing a meal. That is my main reason for leaning toward the first answer.
 
Thank him for the food that keeps you alive.
If He loves and you're right with Him, you don't have to worry about it being poisoned, oh ye of little faith. :)
 
I didn't even think of that reason. I think unclean food is mentioned in relation to blessing a meal. That is my main reason for leaning toward the first answer.

Gotcha, just saw you named harm physically and you can read of both illnesses and deaths which come out of church pot lucks

There was one death and over 20 ill at a baptist church because of botchulism in canned potatoes.

There were 700 people in a catholic church who fell ill with salmonella from a Ham.

And 100 fall ill at a Mormon potluck, but havent determined the cause

You wonder, did they pray, did they not pray? Is drinking any deadly thing and it not hurting you scripture or not in some manuscripts (as I have heard, and if it is, does drinking any deadly thing include eating at all or only drinking, physical drinks or spiritual drink (specially seeing the tongue is full deadly poison as well). Does the word of God sanctifying things mean being persuaded as Paul was as through Christ, or is it the clean and unclean food list in the law that sanctifies it.

I just heard snickers arent kosher, I never saw a christian pray before eating one of those, could be worth a try given the news on that one (that and tic tacs) Posthuman mentioned.
 
To 'bless' is to make happy.
The last happy meal I had was at McDonald's ;)...

th (1).jpg
 
For me, it's just having blessed us with food. However, if I ever eat at McD's again, it would most definitely be the first one. XD
 
I could probably find, or come to some conclusion about, this on my own, but I would feel better about it if more knowledgeable people than me could tell me an answer. The question: When we ask the Lords blessing on our food, are we asking Him to bless it so that it will not harm us spiritually or physically, or are we thanking Him for having blessed us with the food? I am leaning toward the first answer, but what say you?

1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

Perhaps both,but at the last supper when Jesus blessed the bread,the interpretation is thanking God for the bread.It appears that the main reason is to thank God for the food,and in the New Testament we can eat whatever meat we want,for Jesus took the physical ordinances of Israel,and nailed them to His cross,taking them out of the way,for they were contrary to us,so let no man judge you in meats(Colossians 2:14-17).
 
I could probably find, or come to some conclusion about, this on my own, but I would feel better about it if more knowledgeable people than me could tell me an answer. The question: When we ask the Lords blessing on our food, are we asking Him to bless it so that it will not harm us spiritually or physically, or are we thanking Him for having blessed us with the food? I am leaning toward the first answer, but what say you?

1Ti 4:4 For every creature of God is good, and nothing to be refused, if it be received with thanksgiving:
1Ti 4:5 For it is sanctified by the word of God and prayer.

To me this scripture says that if you give thanks to God for your food it will be blessed and good to eat. :)
 
I can't tell you how many times I have nutritionally counseled Christians who have told me that because they prayed over their food they should not be to concerned what they eat.
I am just stunned when I hear that.
So let me understand this thinking. Because we pray over our food, God is going to violate the very natural laws he put in place.
When it comes to food, the very food that He made and designed, for our bodies, we can tell Him, or imply, that because we prayed, that His design for the type of fuel we ingest doesn't really mean that much.
Does anyone here think that way? That we can pray over our food and that if we eat the worst junk it will not affect us?
Just so I am not misunderstood, I know God can un-poison a poison food. And I would not doubt at certain times He has saved people from illness or death. And I believe it is proper and right to give God thanks and pray for nourishment. So I am not suggesting that praying over our food is a useless endeavor.
 
I just realized, I gotta run. Well not literally, still to cold for me to run outdoors here in VT.
Sorry I can't join in now...assuming anyone even replies to my post.
 
I can't tell you how many times I have nutritionally counseled Christians who have told me that because they prayed over their food they should not be to concerned what they eat.
I am just stunned when I hear that.
So let me understand this thinking. Because we pray over our food, God is going to violate the very natural laws he put in place.
When it comes to food, the very food that He made and designed, for our bodies, we can tell Him, or imply, that because we prayed, that His design for the type of fuel we ingest doesn't really mean that much.
Does anyone here think that way? That we can pray over our food and that if we eat the worst junk it will not affect us?
Just so I am not misunderstood, I know God can un-poison a poison food. And I would not doubt at certain times He has saved people from illness or death. And I believe it is proper and right to give God thanks and pray for nourishment. So I am not suggesting that praying over our food is a useless endeavor.

I personally was not touching on the subject of nutritional meals...Just answering the question of blessing what we do eat.

Yours is a whole other subject.

The book of Daniel pretty much advises us what the best things to eat are for health ... fruits, veggies, nuts and grains ... it made Daniel and his brethren more fit than the others who gorged themselves on the King's rich foods.
 
My blessing is always the thanks I give to God, and then the food is made holy (separate from all unblessed food.)
 
I could probably find, or come to some conclusion about, this on my own, but I would feel better about it if more knowledgeable people than me could tell me an answer. The question: When we ask the Lords blessing on our food, are we asking Him to bless it so that it will not harm us spiritually or physically, or are we thanking Him for having blessed us with the food? I am leaning toward the first answer, but what say you?
I think it is a symbolic way of thanking him for all that he does for us. Maybe, though, we should do a better job of thanking him for all that he does for us.
 
While speaking of symbolism and all God has done for us.....you might say it is thanking Him for our Daily Bread, that is, the Bread from Heaven. This I get from your post also-

I think it is a symbolic way of thanking him for all that he does for us. Maybe, though, we should do a better job of thanking him for all that he does for us.
 
we should always be thankful for what is provided, but, shouldn't we be responsible
for the quality of what we eat, for we have been appointed by God to take care of our
Holy Temple, where we pray Christ dwells?
 
I can't tell you how many times I have nutritionally counseled Christians who have told me that because they prayed over their food they should not be to concerned what they eat.
I am just stunned when I hear that.
So let me understand this thinking. Because we pray over our food, God is going to violate the very natural laws he put in place.
When it comes to food, the very food that He made and designed, for our bodies, we can tell Him, or imply, that because we prayed, that His design for the type of fuel we ingest doesn't really mean that much.
Does anyone here think that way? That we can pray over our food and that if we eat the worst junk it will not affect us?
Just so I am not misunderstood, I know God can un-poison a poison food. And I would not doubt at certain times He has saved people from illness or death. And I believe it is proper and right to give God thanks and pray for nourishment. So I am not suggesting that praying over our food is a useless endeavor.

very few poor people can afford to eat natural food. many of these poor folks are educated and very aware of how corrupted much of the food is. so why would it be appalling for them to pray and ask the Lord to purify the corruption in it?