How did God die for our sins, if God cannot die?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Jesus did not become a man. Jesus was a man. Was born a man.
Jesus existed as God before He took on human form. He existed in heaven prior to becoming a human being. Who do you think Abraham was speaking to before He sent His angels to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns?

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call Him Immanuel."

Immanuel means 'God with us.'

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
Of course it is when you have no one else to explain it to you. But then again you don't have any objective way of knowing whether your explanation is right or not.

However, the Holy Ghost said "therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of thee shall be called the Son of God." who said "If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also:"

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Jesus is by definition fully divine and fully HUMAN. He did not 'become' human.
OK, since I'm still confused about what you believe, I'll ask you a few more questions in the hope that I eventually will ;)

Do you believe that Jesus Christ is God, both from and to everlasting, just like God the Father is :unsure: If not, what do you believe about Jesus, specifically :unsure: For instance, has Jesus been both God and man from everlasting, or do you believe that He did not come into existence as a Person, either Divine or human, until He was born here as a man about 2,000 years ago :unsure:

Thanks!

~Deut

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
"By this you will know the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God"

If Jesus hadn't become a human being, then we would all still be in our sins and condemned. It was necessary for Him to become a human being in order to represent us in order to pay the penalty for our sins.

Believing that the Word of God appeared in the flesh as Jesus Christ is a requirement for salvation. So yes, the Word of God was born into a human body as Jesus Christ. And He is still in that body as God Almighty, sitting at the right hand of the Father.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
Believing that the Word of God appeared in the flesh as Jesus Christ is a requirement for salvation.
So if faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God, then does faith come by hearing the Son of God or reading the Bible? So where does hope come from since it is written, you are saved by hope?

oyster67

May 24, 2014
In answer to the OP/Title...

Only the body dies.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
It is interesting how Jesus died but He descended to the lower parts of the earth and set captives free.

Dead in the the flesh only. Not death of His deity.

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
If faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God, then does faith come by hearing the Son of God or reading the Bible? So where does hope come from since it is written, you are saved by hope?
What do you mean by "hearing" the Son of God :unsure: Thanks :)

Romans 10
13 WHOEVER WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED.
14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom they have not heard? And how will they hear without a preacher?
15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, “HOW BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!”
16 However, they did not all heed the good news; for Isaiah says, “LORD, WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?”
17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ.​

Finally, the Bible tells us that we are saved by grace through faith .. e.g. Ephesians 2:8-9, but where does it ever tell us that we are "saved by hope" :unsure:

Thanks!

~Deut

Lord Please Talk To Me.jpg

Oct 6, 2020
Jesus existed as God before He took on human form. He existed in heaven prior to becoming a human being. Who do you think Abraham was speaking to before He sent His angels to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding towns?

"Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and will call Him Immanuel."

Immanuel means 'God with us.'
God has always existed. Jesus did not exist until God impregnated his mother.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
Jesus is fully human by definition. Humans require birth. The exceptions being Adam and Eve.
A body was prepared inside Mary. The Word moved into that body and became the man Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 10:5 Wherefore when he cometh into the world, he saith, Sacrifice and offering thou wouldest not, but a body hast thou prepared me:

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
Your comments are confusing. Do you believe in the Holy Trinity?

Jesus, when He walked this earth, was fully man and fully God. The flesh died on the cross as it had to be to establish Gods salvation plan for man. The spirit did not die because He is fully God and God can not die.

Just as is God, man is body, spirit and soul. Our bodies will die, our spirit will live through eternity. Where it spends eternity is a choice we have to make.

There are so many Scriptures that speak of Jesus taking upon Himself the form of man that it is not needed to post them. A person must read what Scriptures say and decide what they believe. If they are being guided by the Holy Spirit, I believe they will come to understand and believe the truth of the Holy Trinity, and the divinity of Jesus the Christ.

stepbystep

Aug 31, 2020
I disagree if you are saying Jesus is STILL human now. Never heard anyone claim or try to teach this idea before.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
God has always existed. Jesus did not exist until God impregnated his mother.
Why Is Jesus mentioned as being in Heavenand accepting the mission to come to us on earth and fulfilling all prophecy of Him? Zechariah Chapter 3.

E

eternally-gratefull

Jesus said before Abraham was I always existed

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.