How Did You -- or Someone You Know -- First Learn You Had A Certain Allergy or Sensitivity? (Share Your Stories!)

  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
When I was three-years-old I contracted staph pneumonia. I was given penicillin and had an allergic reaction. The had to wait until it was out of my system before they could administer a different anti-biotic. I was clinically dead for a minute or so at the worst of it, but they were able to revive me.

I'm still thankful for my aunt's fervent prayers.

I'm really sorry for what you went through but I'm glad they caught it early!!!


My story isn't nearly as dramatic.

I can remember taking penicillin as a kid and it didn't bother me; they gave me amoxicillin as an adult and I broke out in a fiery rash of tiny blisters that felt like itchy needles.

Hearing your experience now makes me very grateful my case was so mild!
 
Hayfever sufferers I can relate I'm the only one in the household that had regular sneezing attacks and I couldn't sneeze quietly enough for my sister.

My condolences we can sing the sneeze song

 
  • Heart
Reactions: seoulsearch
When it comes to coffee, I'm the exact opposite.

I hated it -- until I realized it could be prettied up. 😁 I think I like coffee as more of a supplemental flavoring.

You had me thinking about how much this kind of thing probably rings true with a lot of people -- they think they dislike something, but they've just never had it in a way that suits them.

This is why I'm trying to be more open-minded to certain foods as I get older (possibly brussel sprouts, but still fat chance on the meatloaf!) I don't like peppers and olives -- on their own -- but my neighbor has shared casseroles with small amounts in them and I'm liking them as a complemental flavor.

Eggs are really a doozy! I've heard of some people being allergic to store eggs, but not farm-raised ones (always scary to think what's being done to our mass-produced food.)


And now I want to see a tournament in which Carrie beats everyone under the table or up to the ceiling in a Coffee Drinking Contest!! 😁😎☕

I'm guessing it would be VERY close between @CarriePie and @NightTwister!

I would pay good money for a front-row seat!! 😆
Coffee-flavored creamer isn't coffee.
 
It's amazing that your great-grandad knew exactly what to look for in a remedy. I love stories of home remedies and wish we had more of that.

When it comes to bugs, I find it SO frustrating trying to make people understand that I am NOT built for the Great Outdoors, beautiful as it is. I like hikes in cool weather, but not without a lot of shade or if it's going to get really hot.

I burn in the sun and EVERY insect possible will bite me (they at least bite me a little less in cooler temps.) I've worn two types of repellant -- and they just bite me in my ears, or fly up my clothes. I can even be indoors and have huge welts the next day because of flies, mosquitos, and (I'm sorry Carrie,) spiders.

But if no one else gets bitten and the welts haven't shown up yet (especially with tiny insects like fleas,) no one ever believes me and says it must be in my head. I don't want to offend people when I notice I'm getting very obvious-to-me flea bites from their pets.


Your loved one is so blessed to have you pay such special care to their needs. 🥰 (That, and I'm extremely jealous of having you as a personal chef!)

And yes, I've seen that bourbon ice cream in the store and have wanted to try it, but now you have me fearing it might be a trap!! 🤯

I'm sorry the Great Outdoors hasn't been kind to you! 🙏

I really glad that everyone is different though! I think that makes everyone fit together well. If everyone was into the outdoors us outdoorsy people wouldn't have any trails to ourself! And if there were no outdoorsy people at all, then the trails would grow over. It all works out in a balanced manner!
And it's not that people being on the trails is a bad thing! It's just that solitary hikes can be very nice. It clears my head and I feel like it's the best time that I spend with the Lord. Just me, Him, and His creation.

I've had a lot of outdoor creepy crawlies attack me in my time, especially when I was child. My family is just stubborn lol. My grandmother went to the creek to unchain her boat and check her trotlines. A copperhead was hiding under her boat. It bit her on her big toe. She was getting ready to unchain the boat anyway and go check her lines, but thankfully my mother was there and insisted that she go to ER. After a long ride into town, she gets to the ER and the ER doctor said, "Ma'am, I've never seen a toe change so many colors!" 😅 Then he doctored her up and told her that she really needed to rest for a few days and sent her home. But did she rest? No, she was back at all her usual work, chores, and activities the very next day. She even kept trotlining.
This is the stubbornness I come from and I guess it's why I couldn't stop myself from heading off into the woods no matter what bit me or what mishap I might have had. The wilderness was/is calling, and I have to go!

Yes, my loved one is very much looking forward to my arrival! I take over the kitchen and the dining area and get them just how I like them to be, this helps me work efficiently. I'll be getting the fridge stocked and the shelves stocked. Then, I'll let my culinary expertise flow. Well, expertise for a country person, that is lol.

Yes, please be very cautious with the brown butter bourbon truffle ice cream!!! We don't have Kroger in Oklahoma, but there's one not even a mile away from where I'm heading. I hope my willpower holds out!! 😱 🙈
 
  • Love
Reactions: seoulsearch