How do Church Leaders Enforce.....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Gideon300

Mar 18, 2021
How do Church Leaders enforce the teachings of their Church? Or can they? Or should they?

I do not remember any Scriptures off hand that address this issue, so if anyone has one or more, please post them. Thanks in advance.

I see every day people who are professed Christians and attend their Church regularly, and some even hold positions of Leadership in their Church.....and these people exhibit life styles in direct contrast to what their Church teaches.

How can a Pastor enforce what he preaches, as he/she is the spiritual leader of the Congregation? How could the Deacons/Elders do this? Or do they just not bother?
There are three steps. First, an offended individual should talk to the offender privately, unless the offence was public. If the offender repents, then it stays private. If the offender refuses to repent, then a few others should go and speak to the offender. If they are rejected, the church should get involved. Ultimately, someone who refuses correction should be barred from church life until he has a change of heart.

It's a problem. Many churches fear offending people because they need the tithe money. So some are tolerated who should be shown the door. Matthew 18:

15If your brother sins against you,c go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
There are three steps. First, an offended individual should talk to the offender privately, unless the offence was public. If the offender repents, then it stays private. If the offender refuses to repent, then a few others should go and speak to the offender. If they are rejected, the church should get involved. Ultimately, someone who refuses correction should be barred from church life until he has a change of heart.

It's a problem. Many churches fear offending people because they need the tithe money. So some are tolerated who should be shown the door. Matthew 18:

15If your brother sins against you,c go and confront him privately. If he listens to you, you have won your brother over. 16But if he will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’ 17If he refuses to listen to them, tell it to the church. And if he refuses to listen even to the church, regard him as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
I assume that you were involved in churches..( have the experience..)
- Where this issue/process happened? (Matthew 18:15-17)
- For many years?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Some people like to..quote verses (it is not difficult..)
- Matthew 18:15-17, etc..
---
Does anyone have the experience..?
- got involved with this issue (Matthew 18:15-17)..in the churches?
- for many years?
---
It can be very messy..getting into the gossip, church conflict, etc..
----
I was involved in one church where this issue happened.
- The church went through..arguing, fighting, etc..
- It had terrible/negative impact on everyone.
- Eventually, the church closed..
---
More 'spiritual discernment & wisdom' are needed..
- When you deal with this problem/issue in the church.
Ive been on the receiving end of church discipline. Getting fellowship withrawn from a pastor who id known for around 18 years. It was difficult to understand because they didnt really say why they were doing it until later.

akaBeliever

Sep 22, 2021
What if 80 percent of the congregation is doing wrong? What if NONE of the congregation is following what is being taught?
What if the Pastor and Leadership AND the congregation are not following what the Pastor and Leadership are teaching? How to resolve that?
What if? …. What matters is how you are living, whether or not you are abiding in Christ and following His teachings, whether or not you are leading your own family in the way they should go. If people in your church family are openly sinning against God and refuse to repent, then your only alternative is to find another place to worship, even if it has to be in your own home. The Lord is the best pastor, and His Word the best teacher.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I do not remember any Scriptures off hand that address this issue, so if anyone has one or more, please post them.
There are several Scriptures which deal with this matter:

Remember them which have the rule over you, who have spoken unto you the Word of God: whose faith follow, considering the end of their conversation. (Heb 13:4)

Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine... Against an elder receive not an accusation, but before two or three witnesses. Them that sin rebuke before all, that others also may fear. (1 Tim 5:17)

For there are many unruly and vain talkers and deceivers, specially they of the circumcision: Whose mouths must be stopped, who subvert whole houses, teaching things which they ought not, for filthy lucre's sake. (Tit 1:10,11)

But avoid foolish questions, and genealogies, and contentions, and strivings about the law; for they are unprofitable and vain. A man that is an heretick after the first and second admonition reject; Knowing that he that is such is subverted, and sinneth, being condemned of himself. (Tit 3:9-11)

Brethren, if any of you do err from the truth, and one convert him; Let him know, that he which converteth the sinner from the error of his way shall save a soul from death, and shall hide a multitude of sins. (James 5:19,20)

I know thy works, and thy labour, and thy patience, and how thou canst not bear them which are evil: and thou hast tried them which say they are apostles, and are not, and hast found them liars: (Rev 2:2)

But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication. So hast thou also them that hold the doctrine of the Nicolaitans, which thing I hate. (Rev 2:14,15)

Notwithstanding I have a few things against thee, because thou sufferest that woman Jezebel, which calleth herself a prophetess, to teach and to seduce my servants to commit fornication, and to eat things sacrificed unto idols. (Rev 2:20)

It should be quite clear from these that Christ expects the elders to address sin, vain and foolish talk, and false teachings within their churches severely. Deacons are not elders, so do not have this responsibility.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Ive been on the receiving end of church discipline. Getting fellowship withrawn from a pastor who id known for around 18 years. It was difficult to understand because they didnt really say why they were doing it until later.
Yeah...that sucks.
The object of the exercise is to get the offending member of the church body to see the error they are commiting.

That's why it's done.

And if you didn't understand why they were doing it they missed the object of the exercise.
It's never a pleasant thing to do. Nobody wants to do this stuff....but for whatever reason most pastoral really suck at it.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Yeah...that sucks.
The object of the exercise is to get the offending member of the church body to see the error they are commiting.

That's why it's done.

And if you didn't understand why they were doing it they missed the object of the exercise.
It's never a pleasant thing to do. Nobody wants to do this stuff....but for whatever reason most pastoral really suck at it.
Yes, i think one factor is balancing commitments. If the pastor has a family also, and then is homeschooling their kids.... Not easy to then commit time to addressing someone in the church with an issue.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Yes, i think one factor is balancing commitments. If the pastor has a family also, and then is homeschooling their kids.... Not easy to then commit time to addressing someone in the church with an issue.
That may be true but that's why churches have deacons or elders. They can help as well. But if the pastor took the time out to enforce church discipline...then he has to take the time to do it right. It's just as important as delivering the sermon on Sunday morning or visiting members in the hospital or giving notes to the church secretary to type up the church bulletin. Or seeing that the deposit of the offering plates made it to the correct bank.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
... there are 40,000 denominations of Christians in this country.
It is quite misleading to say that there are 40,000 denominations in your country when there are not even 40,000 denominations worldwide. Perhaps a little research on your part would have helped you understand that the source of this number (World Christian Encyclopedia by Barrett, Kurian, Johnson [Oxford Univ Press, 2nd edition, 2001]) defines a denomination as an organized Christian group within a specific country. For example, although there is only one Roman Catholic Church, over 200 Roman Catholic ‘denominations’ are listed – one ‘denomination’ for each national body of Roman Catholics. The actual number of denominations is a far smaller and much closer to 300.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It was about 500 years ago that Luther started the Protestant Revolution, and that revolution was about Christians not depending on church fathers to tell them about God, but that it was a personal matter. The Catholic church is still saying they have the authority to tell us exactly what God requires of us, and all the other denominations say they are searching for the truth.

Christ is the head, the CEO, the leader, the president of our kingdom of heaven, no man is the head of the protestant churches.

Aidan1

Mar 17, 2021
How do Church Leaders enforce the teachings of their Church? Or can they? Or should they?

I do not remember any Scriptures off hand that address this issue, so if anyone has one or more, please post them. Thanks in advance.

I see every day people who are professed Christians and attend their Church regularly, and some even hold positions of Leadership in their Church.....and these people exhibit life styles in direct contrast to what their Church teaches.

How can a Pastor enforce what he preaches, as he/she is the spiritual leader of the Congregation? How could the Deacons/Elders do this? Or do they just not bother?
Well, when Paul, foundet the church in different places he instruct to set in eldest (plural) . So what we today have with an one man leadership is not what the letters from the NT taught. The eldest have to lead the church and this encludes the spirituell issues.

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020

I think Christianity is about a personal relationship with the lord . Churches come together to share the word and thier hearts with one another believers will believe and it will sink in but not everyone will believe many will go on about tbier lives as if the gospel isn’t true even though they say we believe

I don’t think it can be forced or made to work better I think the word preached is what matters of it’s the gospel it will teach the hearts of those intended and the. It’s just about supporting them in growing together

Laura798

Jun 6, 2020
k

Dear P,

There are many verses in the New Testament--Paul in particular where he addresses sin in the churches. I think it always best instead of answering with our own opinions we look to God's Word. It is the job first of the elders and deacons and of course all of the body of believers to address sin.

Galatians 6:1-2
Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted. Bear one another’s burdens, and thereby fulfill the law of Christ. For if anyone thinks he is something when he is nothing, he deceives himself.

2 Thessalonians 3:14
If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of that person and do not associate with him, so that he will be put to shame.

1 Timothy 5:20
Those who continue in sin, rebuke in the presence of all, so that the rest also will be fearful of sinning.

Galatians 6:1
Brethren, even if anyone is caught in any trespass, you who are spiritual, restore such a one in a spirit of gentleness; each one looking to yourself, so that you too will not be tempted.

James 5:19-20
My brethren, if any among you strays from the truth and one turns him back, let him know that he who turns a sinner from the error of his way will save his soul from death and will cover a multitude of sins.

Luke 17:3
Be on your guard! If your brother sins, rebuke him; and if he repents, forgive him.

Matthew 21:12
And Jesus entered the temple and drove out all those who were buying and selling in the temple, and overturned the tables of the money changers and the seats of those who were selling doves.

Joshua 7:10-22
So the Lord said to Joshua, “Rise up! Why is it that you have fallen on your face? Israel has sinned, and they have also transgressed My covenant which I commanded them. And they have even taken some of the things under the ban and have both stolen and deceived. Moreover, they have also put them among their own things. Therefore the sons of Israel cannot stand before their enemies; they turn their backs before their enemies, for they have become accursed. I will not be with you anymore unless you destroy the things under the ban from your midst.

Source: https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Confronting-Sins

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It was about 500 years ago that Luther started the Protestant Revolution
Revolution and Reformation are not identical. And Luther was only one of many reformers. Actually John Wycliffe was the original reformer but was attacked by the Catholic Church/

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
Revolution and Reformation are not identical. And Luther was only one of many reformers. Actually John Wycliffe was the original reformer but was attacked by the Catholic Church/
There were a few before them...but they weren't funded or connected. They were accused of heresy and summarily executed. Wycliffe was an English reformation translator. Most of today's deliberate misinformation translated in scripture is tradition based on his original translation of scripture...but actually Erasmus and Tyndale should bear most of the blame....Same thing with Myles Coverdale as well. I know that no one likes to speak well of King Henry VIII...but truly he was the promoter. (Of the English reformation)

All of them built on others work.

And basically I'd agree that the church's practice of teaching only those they deemed "worthy" wasn't exactly their bright spot in history.

Granted they were fighting over local vs head church having ruling authority and essentially taxes aka collections. But it was a rather unique time...and a comedy of errors.

Blik

Dec 6, 2016
It is not the Catholic Church, Luther, reformers, or many men we are to turn to, it is Christ and the words of Christ.

It has to do with believing with absolute faith in what Christ tells us, as an example what Christ says about enemies, or about gathering material things to treasure. Living Christ's way brings contentment, joy, peace but it is no walk in the park. Our flesh is against Christ's way.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
It is not the Catholic Church, Luther, reformers, or many men we are to turn to, it is Christ and the words of Christ.
We do not turn to men, but we acknowledge what they did or did not do. Whether you believe it or not God's hand was evident in the Reformation (not Revolution).