How do I get lead by the spriit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
May 4, 2009
Okay, this apparently something really important for us Christian to know. But I'm really weak in this area. Sadly, I usually can't tell if the Sprit or my own mind. So how I get to know when the Spirit is leading me, also how I can learn to hear the Spirit better?

Feb 27, 2007
when its something totally random that goes against what I normally would do prior to being saved... I attribute the spirit. Sometimes we get it wrong and perhaps it is not the spirit... usually that would involve doing some sort of good so no harm done, right?. Listening to the spirit is important. I once had a thought while praying to give $1000 to a certain church not my own... Definitely not from my own head. I once had the thought while driving that I should pull over and give that lady a hug... (i resisted & regreted to this day) definitely not from my head (she was doing a healing walk & held a sign for residential school abuse). The spirit at least in my walk with the Lord, normally leads me with respect to my relationship with others and Godly purpose as opposed to self involved things. Another area is with respect to validation of Gods Word or issues pertaining to third parties.
The spirit once led me to speak of things to a complete stranger & keep hitting the nail on the head on things in his life. he's 70 & unsaved & a resister of the Lord. By the end of our conversation we had a wonderful bond becuase & ONLY because of the spirit that led me to speak of every single MAJOR issue in that mans life within a 1 hr period. (we spoke of jail, fighting, bipolar, forgiveness) Praise the Lord!

Bless your heart as you persue a deeper relationship with the Lord Brian!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2009
I doubt if there is an easy answer to that. I think we all struggle throughout our lives trying to “hear” what the Lord is saying to us.

What impresses me is that you care. I’m not sure there are many people who are even listening for the Lord’s voice. Maybe you should be a pastor some day.

May 4, 2009
I doubt if there is an easy answer to that. I think we all struggle throughout our lives trying to “hear” what the Lord is saying to us.

What impresses me is that you care. I’m not sure there are many people who are even listening for the Lord’s voice. Maybe you should be a pastor some day.
So far, it looks like God wants me in video game design. It's really an unexplored area as far getting people to goto God.

May 4, 2009
Okay, so after looking other people's from another Christian Forum I goto. It sounds like I have heard the Holy Spirit before, the only probably is that it's still hard to tell if it's him or me? How can get more sensitive to him to hear him easier?

May 4, 2009
My main problem is figuring out when it comes my own mind of if it's the Holy Spirit talking to me. I mean, I know to test what hear to the scripture, but what about the things that can't be test against Scriputre?

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
well prayer, fleeing sin and most importantly continuing to study the Word will allow the Holy Spirit to lead you.. it's a guarantee! Course this leading may not be where you think you should go.. but where God wants you to go.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Also.. there is really nothing not covered by scripture..

M

MaggieMye

You are lead by the Spirit when the directive does not come from any man. It comes to you in your thoughts and your heart KNOWS it's right.

Maggie

M

MaggieMye

And...BTW...God almost always speaks to us in our OWN voice...so it does 'sound' like our own thoughts.

Maggie

G

greatkraw

My main problem is figuring out when it comes my own mind of if it's the Holy Spirit talking to me. I mean, I know to test what hear to the scripture, but what about the things that can't be test against Scriputre?
I know where you are coming from Dot

you simply need to analyse everything

that is the way you are made

I think doubting Thomas was a bit that way

so was Eve

May 4, 2009
I know where you are coming from Dot

you simply need to analyse everything

that is the way you are made

I think doubting Thomas was a bit that way

so was Eve
I think the problem is that I over analyse everything.

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
I think the problem is that I over analyse everything.
There isn't any getting away from that. We will always in this life seek to know if we have heard rightly. And the Spirit will test you, even as you test Him to see if He is from God. When you set your heart and mind upon God, and hearing His voice, on walking with Him, the Spirit will work within you to make this possible. One of the main jobs of the Spirit is to tell us things that we cannot hear with our natural ears, our natural minds, and most if not all of these things He would tell us concern walking with the Father as His children. Many of us do not have a good example of a good father, some of us do, but nothing can prepare us for the glory of the living God that we see as we walk with Him, but the Spirit.

The Spirit wishes to do many other things in the body of Christ, He wants to perfect us in Him, and cleanse us with His blood, and cloth us with His righteousness, and encircle us with His holiness and fill us with His love. He wishes to appoint over us good leaders, apostles, and prophets, and evanligists, and pastors and teachers. And He wants to guide us in our worship, when we are alone and when we are together. If we could be with others who know Him, who know how to fellowship with Him, we would be able to lean on them as we are learning His ways. But it is so rare today to find His fellowship, those who do know Him, so we are left with the words of Jesus; "come unto Me all you who are heavily laden, and I will give you rest. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light." Everyone who would learn of Jesus must come to Jesus, and no man can come to the Father but through Him.

In His peace,

May 21, 2009
Don't stress about it. Start learning to rest in God. Have peace, his peace.
He can talk to you all the time and there won't be scripture for his words.
Like if your driving down the street and he tells you to watch out cause a car is going to pull out in front of you, wheres the scripture?
I never read about a car in scripture.
It's a still small voice at times. It's very clear that someone is talking to you.
He can give you thoughts. Just remember he's not going to tell you to do something bad.
Be calm. One day your going to look back and think I sure did worry to much.

May 4, 2009
Well worrying is what I do. :p

But I'm curious does this sound like the Holy Spirit?

Okay, so I running on the treadmill for a bit and thinking and talking to God. I was also thinking about why I've been so worried for the last few days. Then it was like I got a sense something, then it was it was like my mind translated it or something. But yeah, I think he told that the reason I'm being attacked so much lately is because things are about to get better for me.
This is true, since I’ll be starting therapy for anxiety, depression, self confidence and stuff like that. I've also ordered a Christian book that should help me with my anxiety and self confidence too. Then I'm also staring school again next week, so I won't be stuck in the house as much as I have over the last month. Where I hopefully start make friends...

But yeah, does it sound like something the Holy Spirit would say?

I'm sorry about bugging you guys so much about this, but I'm really starting think that is the type of thing that all of us should know how to do.

If anyone is curious, this is book I'm getting. Hopefully it'll help someone too...

http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263162939&sr=8-1

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009
Well worrying is what I do. :p

But I'm curious does this sound like the Holy Spirit?

Okay, so I running on the treadmill for a bit and thinking and talking to God. I was also thinking about why I've been so worried for the last few days. Then it was like I got a sense something, then it was it was like my mind translated it or something. But yeah, I think he told that the reason I'm being attacked so much lately is because things are about to get better for me.
This is true, since I’ll be starting therapy for anxiety, depression, self confidence and stuff like that. I've also ordered a Christian book that should help me with my anxiety and self confidence too. Then I'm also staring school again next week, so I won't be stuck in the house as much as I have over the last month. Where I hopefully start make friends...

But yeah, does it sound like something the Holy Spirit would say?

I'm sorry about bugging you guys so much about this, but I'm really starting think that is the type of thing that all of us should know how to do.

If anyone is curious, this is book I'm getting. Hopefully it'll help someone too...

http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1263162939&sr=8-1
I don't know about the book, don't read many christian books anymore. But if you are hearing the Spirit's voice, He just might be saying that things are going to get better. But, we have a different definition of better than God does. If you are hearing His voice, then you are getting closer to Him, and in anyone's definition, that is getting better!

One way to learn to hear His voice is to take the bible and open it to a passage you like, or one that you would like to know more about, and read it slowly, not trying to understand it so much as trying to hear what God would say to you, all the while thinking about Jesus Christ and His absolute love for you, knowing that He is able to teach you, believing that He is able to teach you. Read this passage again, in prayer, and maybe again. (By passage, I mean an entire paragraph, not just a verse or two.) Stop and meditate on what the passage says, and listen to that still and quite voice from in your heart. This is being still before the Lord, and in this stillness He speaks with His love.

In His peace,

May 21, 2009
Praise God Dothackzero!
Thats just how it all works. The Holy Spirit does tell you things of how the enemy is attacking you. When people are almost at a break through the devil works even harder on them so they lose hope.
See he is talking to you.
Dothackzero I used to worry all the time about everything. I thank God for the day I fianally said I'm not worring any more ever.
If we worry all the time that means we don't trust God.
You have to really believe that God loves you so much and he will help you in your life.
When ever you feel yourself worrying what ever it is, say God I'm giving this to you. Even take your hands and pretend like what ever the problem is, is in your hands and lift it up to God. Say here God you take this problem. I don't want it. Its yours.
Do that over and over.
I thought you were spending to much time in the house. I'm happy to hear you'll be out more.
God bless you in all you do.
Your having a much better attitude. I'm happy for you.

May 4, 2009
Sweet ^_^

So do it work the same way when he's telling me to donate to some church or a charty, or when he wants me to give someone a hug needs it or something like that?

G

greatkraw

Dot,

sensitivity to the Spirit comes with practice
if you think He is telling you something obey it
if it is something wrong then you know it is not Him
if you continue to ignore or second guess Him he will know that you are not serious
this is an aspect of living in faith

Status
Not open for further replies.