How do I restore and renew my "first love" to God?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Feb 29, 2020
The cares of this world/life; its pleasures (food, sports, technology) (Luke 21:34; Matthew 13:22; Luke 8:14).

We are warned not to be entangled with the affairs of this life that we may please Him who has chosen us to be his soldiers (2 Timothy 2:4).

These are good starts for evaluating why the first love is lost.

But you can always repent and go back to it (Revelation 2:4-5).

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
"Do the deeds you did at first" (The things you did with Jesus at the beginning of your relationship with Him). What was your devotion like? What was your payer like? What was your involvement in ministry like?

Katz_123

Apr 24, 2020
Ask him to reveal himself more to you and to speak to your personal situations and your heart so that you can feel closer to him.

Sep 25, 2018
I would say ask God for a "heart to know" Him, and return to Him with your whole heart (Jeremiah 24:7). "Draw near to God, and He will draw near to you, cleanse your hands, you sinners; purify your heart, you double-minded" (James 4:8)

I don't know your situation, where you are in your walk with God. But just know that He isn't far away (Is. 46:13; Acts 17:27), and that He wants you to find him. Whether you're going astray, or just discouraged or lethargic, you can count on God to help you find Him again. He seeks us that we might seek Him (Luke 19:10).

"For You, Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." (Psalm 9:10)

"You shall seek me and find me, if you search for Me with all your heart." (Jeremiah 29:13)

Prayed for you!

Roughsoul1991

Sep 17, 2016
Why have I lost that initial glow when converted?
A fire needs fuel. A fire needs a triune combination to stay aflame. Oxygen, fuel, and heat.

1200px-Fire_triangle.svg.png

Just as the Spirit within is often related to a fire we must also make sure we have the right elements.

Trinity.large.gif

He as in Jesus will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire. This fire will burn very strong for awhile and give off a glow that is evident to all around them.

Matthew 3:11 New International Version (NIV)
11 “I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

John 8:12 New International Version (NIV)
12 When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.”

Unfortunately as trials, tribulations, spiritual warfare, and failures begin to test our faith and affect the flesh by attacking our physical, mental, emotional and spiritual state we are not yet mature enough to quickly resist or refuel.

1 Thessalonians 5:19 New International Version (NIV)
19 Do not quench the Spirit.

Ephesians 4:30 New International Version (NIV)
30 And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

Look for areas in your life where you may be resisting the Spirit or causing the Spirit grief as maybe you have fallen into old habits, or the troubles of life are suffocating you, distracting you, or has the relationship between you and God grown weak. As in your prayer life, reading God's Word, studying, doing God's Word, and ultimately finding your calling and purpose within the Kingdom.

The fire is never extinguished completely. It may feel cold on top but if you dig deep enough the coals are still extremely hot and ready for the proper elements to be added.

Add them and you will be set ablaze again.

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Sorry, I don't have a clue.

Perhaps you got a little tangled up with the world in everyday life.

My counsel is to simplify your life and remove the clutter that does not belong there that may be dragging you down. The paradigm I operate under is to travel light and not accumulate a lot of baggage and stuff you really don't need and that does really satisfy.

I highly recommend starting each day with the Lord's prayer. This will set a positive tone for the day. I do this every morning and have for years. I also talk to God all day long as in a conversation and allow the Holy Spirit to convict me when I stray off the straight and narrow path.

Immerse yourself in scripture too as this will provide you with the spiritual nourishment that you may be starving for.

Diakonos

Jan 19, 2019
Anacortes, WA
Sorry, I don't have a clue.

Perhaps you got a little tangled up with the world in everyday life.

My counsel is to simplify your life and remove the clutter that does not belong there that may be dragging you down. The paradigm I operate under is to travel light and not accumulate a lot of baggage and stuff you really don't need and that does really satisfy.

I highly recommend starting each day with the Lord's prayer. This will set a positive tone for the day. I do this every morning and have for years. I also talk to God all day long as in a conversation and allow the Holy Spirit to convict me when I stray off the straight and narrow path.

Immerse yourself in scripture too as this will provide you with the spiritual nourishment that you may be starving for.
Scripture is like medicine. It makes us feel better after we take it in. It doesn't matter if you want to...the fact is: Its good for you and it will do its work in you

Mission21

Pathfinder
Mar 12, 2019
'Wait on the Lord..'
- Isaiah 40:31
Focus on 'His grace and mercy.'
- Spend time..listening 'devotion / worship songs'. it can be helpful.
- Go back to your favorite 'scripture passage / verses' again.
You will be renewed / restored.. in His time.

Blessings,

tantalon

Oct 11, 2019
Returning to your first works is a good answer, but I would like to add the practical requirements of it. For example, Mark 9: 49 is a good Biblical insight: The first part of the verse relates to the "fire" of God with a new nature reinstated along with the zeal for the things of God, but it goes on to say that every sacrifice (that is after conversion) will be salted with salt. Salt is represented as the zeal for spiritual and Godly endeavors. For example, a few "sacrifices" might include getting up early, before the birds, to study God's word. Another, taking time to worship, praise, and pray daily in your "closet". To sum up, any good thing that honours God or your fellow man and brings self control to your life is a sacrifice and will increase one's saltiness and first love.

MikkoAinasoja

Nov 19, 2014
Returning to your first works is a good answer, but I would like to add the practical requirements of it. For example, Mark 9: 49 is a good Biblical insight: The first part of the verse relates to the "fire" of God with a new nature reinstated along with the zeal for the things of God, but it goes on to say that every sacrifice (that is after conversion) will be salted with salt. Salt is represented as the zeal for spiritual and Godly endeavors. For example, a few "sacrifices" might include getting up early, before the birds, to study God's word. Another, taking time to worship, praise, and pray daily in your "closet". To sum up, any good thing that honours God or your fellow man and brings self control to your life is a sacrifice and will increase one's saltiness and first love.
We ourselves are (should be) those sacrifices. Living sacrifices for God, whom must be salted through our journey in this world, and through Jesus Christ, by living our lives as he lived, as a living sacrifice.

Sep 16, 2019
Until We go through a season of personal desperation and yearning for the Fire of God
only after this season, it shows us that a true and deep hunger for God can grow into a significant and powerful calling on our lives
But in order to go on
we need to be in a state of revival! In a zone
Each of us is alive for such a time as this, living in this day and hour, just keep our love for him renewed and HOT!

Sep 25, 2018
Another thing I thought of...don't let your feelings of a special "glow" exclusively dictate your relationship with God. It's kind of like a marriage. Maybe you don't feel exactly the same as you did when your had that first romance, but if you are committed to spending time with God and seeking Him with all your heart, He will bring you back to a rich and satisfying connection with Him. Sometimes it takes time for the feelings to return, but even if you don't feel all the warm and fuzzy feelings, you can still choose to serve God and put Him first, relying on His promises. You can still be faithful to Him, as He is faithful to you. He is knocking on your door, wanting to spend time with you and bless you. Give Him your heart, and let Him restore the glow. He will do what you can't do for yourself, and He will recreate and renew you. ❤

"I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will take the heart of stone out of your flesh and give you a heart of flesh." Ezekiel 36:26

"Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me." Revelation 3:20

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
How do I restore and renew my "first love" to God?

Well; I really don't think that Rev 2:4-5 is talking about one's emotions,
rather, one's devotion.

The paraphrase below, seems (to me anyway) to say it best

"But I have this complaint against you. You don't love me or each other as
you did in the beginning. Look how far you have fallen from your love at the
first. Turn back to me again and conduct yourselves as you did then."

BTW: I believe it's important to take into consideration that passage wasn't
aimed at individual Christians; rather, to a congregation of Christians, viz: a
church.

The Ephesian church was as rough-hewn and crude as the old logging
community of Stump Town (now Portland) out here in the Oregon of the
1800's. They cussed, they brawled, they bad-mouthed, they held grudges,
they were thieves, they were arrogant, they somehow had the idea that
Jews were below them, they were immodest, conceited, vain, and impatient,
they walked unworthy of their calling, and they were splintered into cliques.

I've heard more than one expositor praise the Ephesians as "the church at
its spiritual peak" but I thoroughly disagree. Yes, there were some
outstanding individuals, but by and large that congregation's spiritual
condition was decadent, deplorable, despicable, and unbecoming.
_