How do you cope with distractions?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Basta

Feb 19, 2022
Personally I find it very difficult to prioritize God over everything in my life. I often lack patience to pursue my unearthly goal of becoming a saint. It's even worse when I distract myself with unimportant things such as games, books or current affairs to the extect I feel so absorbed by it I cannot separate myself from the world. My question is: how do you work on your faith? What do you do to sharpen your mind and stay concious?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
First, don't beat yourself up about it. Self-discipline is closely tied to self-control, which is a fruit of the Holy Spirit. It grows over time, not instantly. Being reasonably merciful on yourself is also good practice for being merciful to others when they fail, err, or sin.

Second, set yourself small, readily-achievable goals, like spending five minutes in prayer four times a week. It's something you can do at the end of your day if needed, and if you miss a day, you haven't failed. Set yourself up for success by choosing to delay a game until after you read a chapter.

Third (and these aren't in any particular order), ask God to work in you according to His goals for you. Ask Him what they are, so that you and He are working together. :)

Gardenias

Oct 27, 2020
U.S.A.
Sound advice @Dino246
We don't start out running but we begin with a crawl,......this is progress. Growth is important but it's NOT instant either!

Bend the tree while it is young and restrain that position and it will never grow straight and tall.
Nourishment and love that comes from knowing God makes us more hungry and thirsty and we increase.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I often lack patience to pursue my unearthly goal of becoming a saint.
If you believe Jesus Christ died for your sins, and rose on the 3rd day, you are already a saint according to Scripture, since saints are those who belong to the body of Christ, saved by grace through faith in His shed righteous blood for the remission of sin. Please do not fall into the trap so many have of trying to be perfectly sinless, as you cannot work your way to sainthood. We are called to be holy, but that means set apart. You are in this world but not of this world. I see from your intro thread that you have already grasped this truth: I accept everything I do is not enough to 'reach God all by myself' so I humbly live my life trying to make other people's lives better because that's what Jesus did, too. A lot has been disrupted by this ongoing world pandemic, and many people may be spending more time alone than they are used to, which could lead to dissipation and depression. Do you have a church family? Do they have Bible study groups? Community groups? Is there anyone there who would be willing to spend time with you delving into the written Word?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Personally I find it very difficult to prioritize God over everything in my life. I often lack patience to pursue my unearthly goal of becoming a saint. It's even worse when I distract myself with unimportant things such as games, books or current affairs to the extect I feel so absorbed by it I cannot separate myself from the world. My question is: how do you work on your faith? What do you do to sharpen your mind and stay concious?
When one is born again they are a saint. make a journal, apply 2 Peter 1, use to do list, set a timmer on your cell phone to limit how much time for goofing off.

Basta

Feb 19, 2022
[COLOR=rgb(147 said:
Do you have a church family? Do they have Bible study groups? Community groups? Is there anyone there who would be willing to spend time with you delving into the written Word?[/COLOR]
I'm somehow in faith crisis due to the fact I can hardly consider myself a catholic while catholicism is a major denomination in Poland. My family members understand my position yet aren't too devout themselves and this is why I fail to feel supported. I used to go to church but our parish priest is very strict and made me feel bad numerous times, e.g. when I haven't attend church yet he belittled my (and my family's) faith by saying it's not real faith if you don't go to church. He also refused me absolution after I confessed him my sins because I refused to swear I'll go to church every Sunday until I die. I feel bad when I think about going back to church which is even more difficult considering I challenge some of Catechism of the Catholic Church records. I do feel ashamed knowing I'm not good enough and trust me, I'm doing my best to improve, to study, to serve people. Not to 'deserve' heaven but because that's what is to be done. I do feel alone yet I do not fear loneliness, nor war, nor death.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
I'm somehow in faith crisis due to the fact I can hardly consider myself a catholic while catholicism is a major denomination in Poland. My family members understand my position yet aren't too devout themselves and this is why I fail to feel supported. I used to go to church but our parish priest is very strict and made me feel bad numerous times, e.g. when I haven't attend church yet he belittled my (and my family's) faith by saying it's not real faith if you don't go to church. He also refused me absolution after I confessed him my sins because I refused to swear I'll go to church every Sunday until I die. I feel bad when I think about going back to church which is even more difficult considering I challenge some of Catechism of the Catholic Church records. I do feel ashamed knowing I'm not good enough and trust me, I'm doing my best to improve, to study, to serve people. Not to 'deserve' heaven but because that's what is to be done. I do feel alone yet I do not fear loneliness, nor war, nor death.
You do not need to confess to him, simply ask family members and friends to pray with and for you all.
We all can confess our sins directly to God without someone thinking they have to forgive you. In fact, if someone does wrong to you, they can only ask you to forgive them. When we sin against God or his rules, likewise we can only ask him to forgive us. No human is God and can not forgive those sins ever. It is the Second Person of the Trinity who is God - Man who died for you, Not that priest. It would be better for you and your family to find another Church that believes in the Trinity which is kind and loving to each other. It is also, taught the world will know we are Christains by our Love for one another.

1 John 1:9
Good News Translation
9 But if we confess our sins to God, he will keep his promise and do what is right: he will forgive us our sins and purify us from all our wrongdoing.

John 13:35
Good News Translation
If you have love for one another, then everyone will know that you are my disciples.”

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
That priest's behavior is reprehensible.

Added:

Protestantism in Poland is the third largest faith in Poland, after the Roman Catholic Church (32,440,722) and the Polish Orthodox Church (503,996). As of 2018 there were 103 registered Protestant denominations in Poland. Most Protestants (mainly Lutherans) in the country live in historically Protestant regions such as Cieszyn Silesia and Warmia-Masuriaand in major urban areas.