How do you even sleep at night?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
...no but really.

How do you sleep?

I did a thread like this a looong time ago, I remember it. But I'm gonna do it again because we have new faces this time around so why not.

I have a full size bed with a memory foam mattress topper. I start off on my right side, diagonally, while my mind calms. Then I turn over to my left side and fall asleep like that. I almost always wake up lying on my back, but it's weird because I can't start off falling asleep on my back.

I sleep at the very bottom edge of my pillow. I don't know how people stand to have like...their whole head/neck on it.

I also sleep holding a fairly large stuffed unicorn that I've had for...14 years now? She goes everywhere with me. I'm not ashamed.

I'm also one of THOSE people who set their alarms half an hour before they have to get up and hit the snooze at least a few times...I know it's not ideal, but I actually think it helps ease me into the morning.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I lie down on my back. When I'm about ready to start snoring I turn over on my right side. I don't know why not my left side, but it's always my right side. If my brain is too active to sleep I start a story in my mind - doesn't matter what, just a flight of the imagination - until it turns into a dream.

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
Have two small pillows up against a long one. I sleep on my back but always toss and turn. More often than not, though, I start having panic attacks as soon as I start falling asleep. Those are never fun.

Sep 6, 2013
I sleep like this. (Except that I keep my hair pulled up over the pillow and then tucked underneath it, because I don't like it all around my neck, and everyone knows that when your hair falls over the side of the bed, monsters can grab it and pull you into the underworld.)

I flip from one side to the other periodically as the night goes on. And I keep my face at the very edge of the pillow. I love to sleep COLD, so I am usually snuggled under a comforter or quilt, with a fan blowing on me.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014

melita916

Aug 12, 2011
i will either sleep on my right side or on my stomach, which according to my boss is the bad way to sleep (but we won't tell him his secretary does that). i have a full size bed but only sleep on the right side. it's like i forget i have more room lol i only hit the snooze button once :D

come to think of it, growing up, i never used the snooze button. i started the habit in college haha

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
i sleep on my stomach as well. also enter a room I am sleeping in and I can go from flat sleep to 45 pointed at you in about 1.1 seconds.

MartyrNdaMaKn

Jan 22, 2013
My sleeping routine usually consist of me stretching while laying on my back, then I fold my pillow in half to tuck it under my neck. Where it stays most of the night, until I turn over to the left side to take a sip of water, which I usually keep near my bed and finish off sleeping the night on my left side.

garet82

Jan 20, 2011
i sleep with pillow n my blanket n can sleep easily n wake up easily too with any small noisy.

Jan 27, 2015
I put on one of those 8-11 hour music tracks that have nature sounds, soft music, or waterfalls, on my tablet, and put my tablet (on the charger) under my bed towards the middle so the music or sounds seem to be coming from my bed when I lay on it. I usually lay on my back or stomach, but sometimes on either side as I'm on the way to sleep. I also set my alarm for earlier than I actually need to get up.

M

MissCris

I fall asleep like the first pic Grace posted, but I end up either on my back and snoring myself awake, or on my face and drooling. When it's just me here, I sprawl diagonally across the whole king size bed and tuck the super fluffy comforter under my feet (by kicking it into the air until it falls exactly right), and I also steal my husband's pillow to hug or lean against.

And I haven't used an alarm clock in nearly 5 years. But then, I also haven't slept past 7a.m. more than a couple of times in the last 5 years, either. Because kids are mean. Loud, I mean. Yeah. Loud.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
This wasn't what I expected from reading the title to the OP............was gonna say, obviously not too well since I'm still up. However, as we are describing sleep positions............shoot.......all of the above? And that's when I sleep.

Hmm........reading the comments again.........some differences from them for me. Don't like covers on me, feels like I'm trapped...maybe left over emotions from my Army days........don't like being cold........my toes get cold, there is no hope of me falling asleep ever. Do like having a box fan on.........the noise turns into a drone that covers any unwanted noises from keeping me awake/alert/questioning should I get up and investigate whatever that was that I just herd.

I don't worry about monsters under the bed..........check that out long before I lay down......easy to wake up.....hard to turn off the brain........don't dream much though......or, if I do, I don't remember them.......so, I guess that's the same? Or not.

Two pillows....only snore if I am really, really exhausted...because of old age I suppose, and how much different parts of my body hurt on any given night, my sleep position is in a constant state of flux.

Every now and again, all the stars and planets line up just right, and I lay down...........and the next thing I know......6 hours have passed and I'm awake and not sure if it is night or day........but those times are rare.

M

MollyConnor

I move a lot! LOL I even change pillows in the middle of the night because, depending on what position I'm in, I like certain pillows (some are thicker than others).

rachelsedge

Oct 15, 2012
I sleep like that too, GLR, funny how you found a picture of it!

I also sleep with a fan on for the noise. Doesn't matter if it's the dead of winter, I will have it on.

C

cmarieh

I have struggled with my sleep. I recently had a sleep study done at the sleep center. My oxygen levels are not great, but according to the test does not fit the qualifications as apnea. Usually, I sleep on my right side for about half the night and switch sides for the other half. I never take up the whole bed, unless I am not feeling well. Although that could be partly due to the fact that my cat likes to sleep on the other side of the bed.

djness

May 16, 2014
Lots of prescription drugs.

ChandlerFan

Jan 8, 2013
This is great because sleep has been on my mind a lot this week. See, I have sleep apnea which really affects my quality of sleep, so I can't really remember the last time I didn't wake up tired. Recently I decided I wanted to try to take some steps to address that, but since I have to go through the trouble of getting a referred to the sleep center by my doctor, I decided I'd try ordering this mouthpiece thing that's supposed to help with it. I've worn it for two nights and I've gotten worse sleep both nights. I just woke up a lot more often. So it's looking like I'm most likely destined to have to wear a CPAP machine. I'm also hoping that as I lose weight, though, perhaps the apnea will go away.

I pretty much sleep on one side or the other all night, though. I typically fall asleep on my right side and then will alternate between the two throughout the night. Like Grace, I also sleep with a fan blowing on me in the summer and I'll still have it on in the winter but not blowing on me because my house is cold enough as it is without that.