How do you get in touch with God?

  • Thread starter Thread starter samk
  • Start date Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

    If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

    To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
I have suggested he use standard English nomenclature in reference to scripture and he got offended. Now I mostly chose to ignore his posts when he uses names I do not understand. It is a strange "translation" as it uses hebrew words in the NT which was written in Greek and that's why I find it hard to trust.

So satan and baal (names in describing evil beings/gods) can be carried over from the "OT" to the "NT" but as soon as one uses Yahweh or Yahshua it is a problem?

I understand if another chooses not to use the real names, but why speak down on another because they want to?
 
Psalm 44:20-21, "If we have forgotten Your Name, Yahweh, or if we stretched out our hands to hinder gods, Would You not search this out, Yahweh? For You know the secrets of the heart."

Yeremyah 16:19-21, "O Yahweh, my strength and my fortress, my refuge in the day of affliction, the Gentiles will come to You from the ends of the earth, and will say: Surely our fathers have inherited nothing but lies and vanity of no use at all! Do men make gods for themselves? Yes, but they are powerless! Therefore behold, I will make them to know--this time I will teach them My power and might; and they will know that My Name is Yahweh!"
 
Yahyl 2:31-32, "The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and the terrible day of Yahweh comes And whoever will call with the Name of Yahweh will be delivered; for in Mount Zion in Yerusalem there will be deliverance, as Yahweh has said, among the remnant whom Yahweh calls."

Acts 2:20-21, "The sun will be turned into darkness, and the moon into blood, before the great and terrible day of Yahweh comes. And it will come to pass that whoever calls on the Name of Yahweh will be delivered."
 
So satan and baal (names in describing evil beings/gods) can be carried over from the "OT" to the "NT" but as soon as one uses Yahweh or Yahshua it is a problem?

I understand if another chooses not to use the real names, but why speak down on another because they want to?

Once again you have misunderstood what I posted. The NT was written in Greek not in Hebrew. The Jehovah's witnesses have inserted Jehovah for kurios(Lord) and theos(God) and when they do that it stops being a translation and becomes a paraphrase. You do the same thing but worse. You post scripture with Hebrew like names which I am not familiar with and I have asked you several times if you can to list an English reference such as: "umagumi (Acts)" so I can look it up but you refuse so I simply don't give those posts that include non-standard Hebrew nomenclature, much thought. I often simply pass them up and ignore them. Personally I see nothing wrong with Greek.
 
A) Prayer - how's your prayer life? Here are a couple of things to consider...

Mat 6:9 In this manner, therefore, pray: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name.
Mat 6:10 Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
Mat 6:11 Give us this day our daily bread.
Mat 6:12 And forgive us our debts, As we forgive our debtors.
Mat 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever. Amen.

Notice the first part of verse 9? this is not a prayer, it is an outline Christ gave in response to a question...

Luk 11:1 Now it came to pass, as He was praying in a certain place, when He ceased, that one of His disciples said to Him, "Lord, teach us to pray, as John also taught his disciples."
Luk 11:2 So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven.
Luk 11:3 Give us day by day our daily bread.
Luk 11:4 And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one."

1) Praise and glorify God's name and consider Who and where He is and who and where we are. He is God and we are dust, His creation.

2) Pray for His Kingdom to come, the world NEEDS it.

3) Pray for God's will to be done, not ours. Christ set the example...

Mat 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will."

4) Pray for the needs of the work and the church and for others, then for yourself.

5) Pray for forgiveness for our sins. We need to repent of sin and pray to be forgiven of it.

6) Pray for help and guidance in forgiving others who have wronged us.

7) Pray to be led away from tempting situations and hard trials that would tempt us to sin. (all according to God's will though)

8) Pray for protection from wicked spirits and their influence on us.

9) Close with adoration and praise to God for what He has done and will do.

How often?

Psa 55:17 Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, And He shall hear my voice.

If you aren't spending at least 30 minutes a day praying "You ain't doin' it right."

B) You should be studying God's Word at least 30 minutes a day. Nto just reading, half asleep, at bedtime, but actively studying.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.

Get yourself some study aids. E-Sword is terrific and I heartily recommend Bullinger's Companion Bible and the appendices.

C) Fast. Fasting is a tool to draw close to God...

Luk 5:34 And He said to them, "Can you make the friends of the bridegroom fast while the bridegroom is with them?
Luk 5:35 But the days will come when the bridegroom will be taken away from them; then they will fast in those days."

Isa 58:3 'Why have we fasted,' they say, 'and You have not seen? Why have we afflicted our souls, and You take no notice?' "In fact, in the day of your fast you find pleasure, And exploit all your laborers.
Isa 58:4 Indeed you fast for strife and debate, And to strike with the fist of wickedness. You will not fast as you do this day, To make your voice heard on high.
Isa 58:5 Is it a fast that I have chosen, A day for a man to afflict his soul? Is it to bow down his head like a bulrush, And to spread out sackcloth and ashes? Would you call this a fast, And an acceptable day to the LORD?
Isa 58:6 "Is this not the fast that I have chosen: To loose the bonds of wickedness, To undo the heavy burdens, To let the oppressed go free, And that you break every yoke?
Isa 58:7 Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, And that you bring to your house the poor who are cast out; When you see the naked, that you cover him, And not hide yourself from your own flesh?
Isa 58:8 Then your light shall break forth like the morning, Your healing shall spring forth speedily, And your righteousness shall go before you; The glory of the LORD shall be your rear guard.
Isa 58:9 Then you shall call, and the LORD will answer; You shall cry, and He will say, 'Here I am.' "If you take away the yoke from your midst, The pointing of the finger, and speaking wickedness,
Isa 58:10 If you extend your soul to the hungry And satisfy the afflicted soul, Then your light shall dawn in the darkness, And your darkness shall be as the noonday.
Isa 58:11 The LORD will guide you continually, And satisfy your soul in drought, And strengthen your bones; You shall be like a watered garden, And like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
Isa 58:12 Those from among you Shall build the old waste places; You shall raise up the foundations of many generations; And you shall be called the Repairer of the Breach, The Restorer of Streets to Dwell In.


There are motives for prayer, your motives must be correct...

Jas 4:1 Where do wars and fights come from among you? Do they not come from your desires for pleasure that war in your members?
Jas 4:2 You lust and do not have. You murder and covet and cannot obtain. You fight and war. Yet you do not have because you do not ask.
Jas 4:3 You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss, that you may spend it on your pleasures.
Jas 4:4 Adulterers and adulteresses! Do you not know that friendship with the world is enmity with God? Whoever therefore wants to be a friend of the world makes himself an enemy of God.
Jas 4:5 Or do you think that the Scripture says in vain, "The Spirit who dwells in us yearns jealously"?
Jas 4:6 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "GOD RESISTS THE PROUD, BUT GIVES GRACE TO THE HUMBLE."

Which brings up another point, humility...

Luk 18:9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others:
Luk 18:10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector.
Luk 18:11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector.
Luk 18:12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.'
Luk 18:13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!'
Luk 18:14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."


Realistically, this subject could fill a series of books. What I have given above is a very brief, condensed overview. Hopefully it will help you.
 
Revelation 14:12, "In this manner are the saints purified--by keeping the Laws of Yahweh, in conformity with the faith in Yahshua Messiah."

1785. entolé
Definition: an ordinance, injunction, command, law.

If you are talking about the names, it is Yahweh and Yahshua being talked about here, those are their real names.

What does it mean to "keep the laws of Yahweh in conformity with the faith in Yahshua Messiah?"
 
when we seek the Almighty He is there, when we knock the door is opened, the Almighty is waiting for everyone of us to get it together. The Almighty said if we seek Him we will find Him, and He can not lie.
 
.................... I hear all this talk about having a "relationship" with God. What kind of relationship? All I know as a christian is basically:

1)-reading the bible and trying to understand it, which I'm not good at and I usually end up totally frustrated cause I only get questions and can't decide how to interpret a verse or come up with own conclusions and answers to questions like "Does God still heal" or "Does God want to heal"? I am basically always torn between different opinions and cannot decide who is right.

2)-talking to God about my worries and problems (but this also quickly leads to me becoming despaired cause I have many problems and this is also why I wish God would just talk to me or give me some kind of sign which shows me that He's there)..................................My problems are so overwhelming that I am out of words. Even when I try to sit down and "spend time with God" I just dont know what to do or say! I sit there and only become more despaired and think WHY doesn't God do something? Why doesn't He talk to to me or simply give me some kind of sign to help me with my hopelessness? I have tried a lot over the years. I have travelled to ministers for prayer and they prayed and nothing happened and then I went home and was alone again with my questions and my disappointment. I simply don't understand it. ................... How does this help me when I'm despaired and feel like losing my mind cause of all my sorrows?!?
I am going to say, I have never been touched by a post like this one. It breaks my heart to sit here and listen to what you say and know the feelings you are dealing with. I don't know why, but there has to be a lack of serious fellowship in your life. For some reason those you are turning to aren't helping. It could be that you haven't told them the depths of your feelings and they don't realize your need, but since you felt compelled to share on an open forum, I rather doubt that.
I too, have felt the very depths of despair. I have been married and divorced. Married to a woman that I love to this day. I was a single parent for 7 years. Raised two beautiful and wonderful daughters. Lost my dad, and one of my sisters. Been a pall-bearer at many funerals, and spoken the eulogy at a few aslo.
I say that to let you know this: I could not have gone thru those things without feeling loss, anger, hurt, frustration, and many other unpleasant emotions.
But none of them compared to the despair I felt the few weeks before I got saved. To think of you, or for that matter anyone, going thru such a time brings sorrow to me. When I got saved, I was fortunate enough to have my dad and a couple of older friends that glady answered the phone when I called. Having support thru that helped me immeasureably, as I realize by listening to you.

If you ever want to talk to someone, have a question, or just want to share your experience, you can PM me and I will give you my phone number. I would gladly give back what I received from my mentors if I can.
 
  • Like
Reactions: abbiejean
Hello, thanks for your replies. I read over them and I feel like this isn't helping me. Way too many advice which all say different things. This is too overwhelming. Also, many of the advice like "you need a church" or "you need to study the bible more" don't help me. I have tried studying the bible already. I can't do this again. My situation is so serious that I needed help and hope now and not in a few years. I do not even have the strength anymore to pull myself up and go to meetings or churches. I tried this years ago! Always going to places hoping to experience God there and nothing ever happened. How's it supposed to help me being told for example that God doesnt heal anymore today when I know that only God could heal me? This means I have absolutely no hope. Also this stuff like "way too many I and ME", what are you thinking? Of course you think about yourself when you're despaired and have so many problems and dont know how to go on. I often think what will be 1 year from now will I still be sane or alive? And you make me feel condemned for this. Great.
 
I get in touch with God through reading and studying His holy word, the Authorized King James Holy Bible. And also through prayer.
 
samk, you seem to think that a relationship with God is a quid quo pro -- if I do (this), then God will do (that). It doesn't work that way. You can't be in a relationship with God because you want God on your terms. Yes, you can praise God even in the darkest times. Paul did it! He was in prison and in chains, yet he praised God. You say you are a Christian and I am not going to refute that because it is not my place to judge that. With that said, you have PLENTY to praise God for! Since He has saved you from eternal fire and damnation, you've got A LOT to praise Him for.

You say you need healing, but guess what? God may not want to heal you. His answer may be no. It's possible that His will for your life is that you suffer the physical difficulties that you are suffering. You may ask why God would do that. Perhaps it's to bring you to your knees in praise, with a contrite heart and a submissive spirit to subjugate your will to His will. First and foremost, God wants us to love and worship Him and Him alone. Not because we need something from Him, but because we love Him and owe our lives to Him.

If God has saved you from your sins, praise Him. You don't have to be happy or giddy. You have to be grateful.

I'm sorry if this sounds harsh and filled with condemnation, but I sense from you a bitterness and pride that needs to be broken. You need healing from the inside out, and the first step in that is praise.
 
Just talk to Him. How else ? The tongues thing; is not even in the Bible ( meaning what people do today )

And a lot of doubts comes from, when we don't give enough time to read and understand yet what the Bible teaches in full. In between that learning process, all these thoughts creep in casting doubts and confusions, before we had time to study and learn the facts about the matter. from The bible.

Take for example this gos to show, our prayers are heard by God, :


Revelation 8:3-5

King James Version (KJV)

3 And another angel came and stood at the altar, having a golden censer; and there was given unto him much incense, that he should offer it with the prayers of all saints upon the golden altar which was before the throne.

4 And the smoke of the incense, which came with the prayers of the saints, ascended up before God out of the angel's hand.

5 And the angel took the censer, and filled it with fire of the altar, and cast it into the earth: and there were voices, and thunderings, and lightnings, and an earthquake.