How Do You Know Your Belief is Right?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

DavEtheBravE

When your in union with christ everything else falls together

Jan 11, 2013
When I became a Christian I sat on the edge of my bed, deep in thought. There were 6 billion people in the world, most of whom were smarter than me and disagreed on much. Of those 6 billion, at least 2 billion(I believe) claimed to be Christians, yet they were divided into many various deniominations, so they couldn't all be right about everything. I suddenly panicked. Who was I in the great scheme of things? What if I erred greatly in my beliefs. The thought terrified me.
So I got down on my knees and prayed that God would show me His truth, and I trusted him for that. Now that does not make me infallible, far from it. But I trust that on the important issues my beliefs do not cause detrement to my faith, and God has answered my prayers.

If we rely on Him, He will not let us down

B

Batman007

How do you explain the fact that I am correct? And there's no denying that I am.
Hahaha why is there no denying that you're "correct"? Why do you get to be right just because you say so? Can I do that?

How do you, Jon4TheCross, explain that I am correct? Because trust me, I am. I just am. Don't deny it. I'm correct. Explain that.

The statements you made are wrong, even if you believe they are not, I know they are, and I know you don't know what you said is correct. I'm just stating facts. Do you deny that you are unsure of your statements?
The statements you made are wrong. Even though you don't believe me. I know they are. And i know you're making stuff up.

I'm just stating facts.

Do you deny that you're unsure of what you're talking about?

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Hahaha why is there no denying that you're "correct"? Why do you get to be right just because you say so? Can I do that?

How do you, Jon4TheCross, explain that I am correct? Because trust me, I am. I just am. Don't deny it. I'm correct. Explain that.

The statements you made are wrong. Even though you don't believe me. I know they are. And i know you're making stuff up.

I'm just stating facts.

Do you deny that you're unsure of what you're talking about?
You're in denial, and I'm sorry for that. You know the things I say are true, and you can't convince me otherwise, because it's knowledge. Why so resistant to what you know is true? We have all been in a condition which lacks knowledge of God, but you don't have to stay that way.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Oh yes I know, I never claimed that the bible is truthful. The point is it's impossible to say what should be taken literally and what should be taken with a grain of salt

zone

Jun 13, 2010
Ok I'm not trying to nit-pick, but that's a terrible argument.

1. Nobody knows the truth. Even if you think you do, that's all it is. You THINK you do. You may very well be right, but you also may very well be wrong.
2. If you think that god is real then you've convinced yourself that you have experienced god. Yes.

I think number 1 pertains to everyone, and people think number 2 pertains to them. I highly doubt it has, but I also am not them and I don't like telling other people what they know or believe.
John 17:17
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth.

Epistemology (i/ɨˌpɪstɨˈmɒlədʒi/ from Greek ἐπιστήμη - epistēmē, meaning "knowledge, understanding", and λόγος - logos, meaning "study of") is the branch of philosophy concerned with the nature and scope of knowledge.[1][2] It questions what knowledge is, how it is acquired, and the possible extent a given subject or entity can be known.

John 1:1
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God

3056 lógos (from 3004 /légō, "speaking to a conclusion") – a word, being the expression of a thought; a saying. 3056 /lógos ("word") is preeminently used of Christ (Jn 1:1), expressing the thoughts of the Father through the Spirit.

[3056 (lógos) is a common term (used 330 times in the NT) with regards to a person sharing a message (discourse, "communication-speech"). 3056 (lógos) is a broad term meaning "reasoning expressed by words."]

John 1
2He was in the beginning with God. 3All things were made through him, and without him was not any thing made that was made. 4In him was life,a and the life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.

6There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. 7He came as a witness, to bear witness about the light, that all might believe through him. 8He was not the light, but came to bear witness about the light.

9The true light, which enlightens everyone, was coming into the world. 10He was in the world, and the world was made through him, yet the world did not know him. 11He came to his own,b and his own peoplec did not receive him. 12But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God, 13who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.

14And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we have seen his glory, glory as of the only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth. 15(John bore witness about him, and cried out, “This was he of whom I said, ‘He who comes after me ranks before me, because he was before me.’”) 16And from his fullness we have all received, grace upon grace. 17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God; the only God,d who is at the Father’s side,e he has made him known.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
as previously asked 'are you serious '? what example from Scripture do you have?
Many, buit this one is clear for all to see:

1Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

I had to put that verse to explain the following:

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Now we see that Peter was of God (even though He did the following):

Mat 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Would Peter rebuke God? But I have more to show He did not know, but simply believed (which is a step to knowledge of God).

Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Joh 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Joh 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

This happened after Peter was of God (even though He did not Know Jesus was God, He just believed)

Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Joh 14:4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Joh 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
Joh 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Here we see some clear examples of some who followed Jesus (they are His from the beginning), but did not know that Jesus is God.

If I need more examples, please tell me. (Also remember that Peter denied God/Jesus, and He didn't after the Holy Spirit was given).

N

nathan3

The Bible is clear. It's just people are confused to no end. You have to at least follow basic rules of grammar in reading. Not only that you have to take time to study like the Bible states. It's not very difficult .Most of the hard work has been done for you . All you need to do is listen to The Bible. And if it is written there it is right.

Last edited:

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
I figured I better put this one on here too, in connection to my last post:

1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

B

Batman007

You're in denial, and I'm sorry for that. You know the things I say are true, and you can't convince me otherwise, because it's knowledge. Why so resistant to what you know is true? We have all been in a condition which lacks knowledge of God, but you don't have to stay that way.
Do you not see how completely backwards and ignorant your argument is? I can't believe you're serious, although I think you are.

You can't just decide what you're saying is true. That's not how it works. If that were the case any argument anyone ever has would go absolutely nowhere, because people would just be deciding that they're correct a start with personal attacks "You know I'm right, you're just in denial." Once again I can just use that same method with my arguments. And it's bull, which is why I'm only using it to mock you.

I hate to tell you, Jon4TheCross, but you have to get off your high horse. You're not that special, and you might not be right. I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know. How could anyone possibly know. Besides, you're not even claiming that you know anything specific, you just keep saying "I'm right, I'm right!" Which is why I'm done with this debate because you're absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe you think you're making sense.

It's actually kind of funny.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
Do you not see how completely backwards and ignorant your argument is? I can't believe you're serious, although I think you are.

You can't just decide what you're saying is true. That's not how it works. If that were the case any argument anyone ever has would go absolutely nowhere, because people would just be deciding that they're correct a start with personal attacks "You know I'm right, you're just in denial." Once again I can just use that same method with my arguments. And it's bull, which is why I'm only using it to mock you.

I hate to tell you, Jon4TheCross, but you have to get off your high horse. You're not that special, and you might not be right. I'm not saying you're wrong. I don't know. How could anyone possibly know. Besides, you're not even claiming that you know anything specific, you just keep saying "I'm right, I'm right!" Which is why I'm done with this debate because you're absolutely ridiculous and I can't believe you think you're making sense.

I don't decide what I'm saying is true, because it's not up to me.
1Jn 3:24 And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us.

1Jn 4:5 They are of the world: therefore speak they of the world, and the world heareth them.
1Jn 4:6 We are of God: he that knoweth God heareth us; he that is not of God heareth not us. Hereby know we the spirit of truth, and the spirit of error.

You are under the power of something besides God, and you are forgiven, and the blame goes to satan, not you.

Jon4TheCross

Oct 19, 2012
To lighten things up: ;)

If I got off my high horse, I would be refusing a gift from God:

Rev 19:14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.

Nov 22, 2012
I have been told by other Christians that what I believe is wrong, because what they believe is right. We both have bible verses to back our perspectives up,

Even after these hour long debates / discussions - we both end up having to agree to disagree.

WTF?!

I mean come on now - does anyone else see the problem with everyone's interpretation being accepted as true, just because it suits their personal perspective?

This is how the reformation started, and a million and one different Christian " truths" came to be.

Realistically though;

Everyone can't be right, but everyone can be wrong.

Only the author knows his works; the bible is the absolute truth of God, and God had it written by only HIS divine authority -

There is NOTHING subjective about the bible; God laid down one solid truth, and this is why in Revelations it says not to add or take anything away from the bible.

If you misinterpret the bible, you have either taken something away from it's meaning, or added something to it.

That is FALSE.

This is why I don't understand why everyone is just settling for accepting every interpretation, or adhering so strongly to their own.

How can you be so sure you are correct?

Just look at the logical realization here;

If God is all - knowing and perfect, his word would have to be indisputable so that nothing is up for subjective relativity and all will come into unity under ONE truth - NOT HUNDREDS OF THEM.

There is no reason that one Christian should dispute with another over God and his works - yet everyone and their mama argues over the bible.

So what then? What makes you so right in what you believe, and everyone else so wrong?

~

I am just going to point this out:

Jesus Christ brought with him a teaching; God brought a teaching;

Jesus said that another called " Counselor," will come in his name to " remind you ( us)" of what Jesus had spoken. There's another verse in which this mysterious 2nd Coming Christ is said to guide everyone into all truths.

Just deducing from what Jesus said here ( This is in the book of John btw under the heading " jesus comforts his disciples NIV)

We can logically conclude that the " truth " has been messed up, falsified, and mutilated, or else 2nd Coming Christ would not have been prophesied to come to fix the mess people have made of God's gospel.

So until that time, does anyone really have the authority to say they are absolutely right? Can you really speak with the authority of God, that you know exactly what the bible says?

Even the Pharisee's studied the bible diligently, and ended up crucifying the Savior they had been waiting for.

" Though seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear..."

So who's really hearing...and who's really seeing.

As TRUTH is one,there can be only one interpretation of Bible.Any other interpretations are false(lies).

zone

Jun 13, 2010

at least he's in the scriptures catwoman. meow.
he's miles aheada y'all.

atheism is for babies.
boohoo.

join our club. it lasts forever.

zone

Jun 13, 2010
To lighten things up: ;)

If I got off my high horse, I would be refusing a gift from God:

Rev 19:14 And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean.
don't pay her no mind jon4.
she's smarter than us believers.
she KNOWS there's no God.
she doesn't know how she knows...she just does.
that's real faith...or...whatever.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Many, buit this one is clear for all to see:

1Jn 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

I had to put that verse to explain the following:

Mat 16:15 He saith unto them, But whom say ye that I am?
Mat 16:16 And Simon Peter answered and said, Thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.
Mat 16:17 And Jesus answered and said unto him, Blessed art thou, Simon Barjona: for flesh and blood hath not revealed it unto thee, but my Father which is in heaven.

Now we see that Peter was of God (even though He did the following):

Mat 16:22 Then Peter took him, and began to rebuke him, saying, Be it far from thee, Lord: this shall not be unto thee.
Mat 16:23 But he turned, and said unto Peter, Get thee behind me, Satan: thou art an offence unto me: for thou savourest not the things that be of God, but those that be of men.

Would Peter rebuke God? But I have more to show He did not know, but simply believed (which is a step to knowledge of God).

Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Joh 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Joh 20:22 And when he had said this, he breathed on them, and saith unto them, Receive ye the Holy Ghost:
Joh 20:23 Whose soever sins ye remit, they are remitted unto them; and whose soever sins ye retain, they are retained.

This happened after Peter was of God (even though He did not Know Jesus was God, He just believed)

Joh 14:1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me.
Joh 14:2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
Joh 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
Joh 14:4 And whither I go ye know, and the way ye know.
Joh 14:5 Thomas saith unto him, Lord, we know not whither thou goest; and how can we know the way?
Joh 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Joh 14:7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.
Joh 14:8 Philip saith unto him, Lord, shew us the Father, and it sufficeth us.
Joh 14:9 Jesus saith unto him, Have I been so long time with you, and yet hast thou not known me, Philip? he that hath seen me hath seen the Father; and how sayest thou then, Shew us the Father?
Joh 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak not of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, he doeth the works.
Joh 14:11 Believe me that I am in the Father, and the Father in me: or else believe me for the very works' sake.
Joh 14:12 Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me, the works that I do shall he do also; and greater works than these shall he do; because I go unto my Father.

Here we see some clear examples of some who followed Jesus (they are His from the beginning), but did not know that Jesus is God.

If I need more examples, please tell me. (Also remember that Peter denied God/Jesus, and He didn't after the Holy Spirit was given).
Sorry, I was referring to this statement of yours which the above Scriptures seem to contradict...
"and they certainly don't need to know God before they believe in Him."

A

Ariel82

People say " Wait and see what God says," but when he speaks who actually listens? I sat back and allowegodg God his thing, and now what I know of the bible is a bit different than anything I've ever heard interpreted from it. I believe it to really be the word of God, but it's hard to express this in such a subjective Christian reality. All it does is cause arguing, so I just wanted to see what perspectives people have as to why they feel they are correct in what they believe.
I pray about it. He tells me enough to live my life and teaches me more ever day. Dont know every thing but i have faith in the things God has taught me so far... the benefits of forgiveness...the strength in trusting in him...the power of prayer...his faithfulness...etc.i understand some scriptures but i ask and study to learn more.

D

DannyC

The standard of this conversation has rapidly declined.

B

Batman007

don't pay her no mind jon4.
she's smarter than us believers.
she KNOWS there's no God.
she doesn't know how she knows...she just does.
that's real faith...or...whatever.
-_-

Did you read any of my posts? Jeez you guys make it really difficult to have a logical, civilized debate.