How is this possible?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 20, 2016
Revelation 2:19
I know your works, love,, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first.
Revelation 2:20
Nevertheless, I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

Here's my doubt
How is it possible to have true love and be seduced by sin at the same time? Wouldn't that nullify the love they have?

Thanks for explanations in advance!

E

eternally-gratefull

If your God. I would agree,

Unfortunately we are not God. Our love will not be PERFECT until we are in our future state. So we can love, and still fail. Because we re not perfect.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I know your works, love,, service, faith, and your patience; and as for your works, the last are more than the first.
Nevertheless, I have a few things against you, because you allow that woman Jezebel, who calls herself prophetess, to teach and seduce My servants to commit sexual immorality and eat things sacrificed to idols.

Here's my doubt
How is it possible to have true love and be seduced by sin at the same time? Wouldn't that nullify the love they have?

The Thyatiran Christians were known to God for their love, but despite all that they did well, they tolerated a dangerous false teacher. That's a common error: loving people so much that you overlook their sin instead of addressing it. It's not that the love is nullified, but it is not guided by wisdom and truth in every case. Further, the rightness of one's actions in one area doesn't spill over and make everything right (another common misunderstanding), and the wrongness of one's actions doesn't spill over and make everything wrong (a common fallacious argument). It just points to a problem.

Dec 12, 2013
Here's my doubt

Who was the letter addressed to?.....the MESSENGER of the Church ( I know KING Jimmy says angel <--Greek word MESSENGER) I.E. the PASTOR of the church....YOU is singular.....now think about what is being said.......MANY forget that these letters are ADDRESSED to the MESSENGERS (PASTORS) of these 7 churches.......

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011

Here's my doubt

Let us think on this, all men have sinned and fall short of the glory of God. This group includes all the righteous by faith and the self-righteous who believe they do not. It is worth the meditation.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018

Here's my doubt

Thats an interesting passage..Jesus wrote to the seven churches and while they were making the effort they still had room for improvement. Its like you getting a report card for school, you get all As except for one subject where you get a F Does it nullify all the As you received, no, but the F is something you really need to address.
Jesus identified it was a problem with a certain teacher. So it might be that the F you get is cos you are going to the wrong class and should actually get rid of that teacher who is putting you wrong.

Oct 20, 2016
Who was the letter addressed to?.....the MESSENGER of the Church ( I know KING Jimmy says angel <--Greek word MESSENGER) I.E. the PASTOR of the church....YOU is singular.....now think about what is being said.......MANY forget that these letters are ADDRESSED to the MESSENGERS (PASTORS) of these 7 churches.......
Can't "You" be used in plural too though? Interesting to know whom it's specifically addressed to; still good to consider as if it were addressed to us (well, to whomever needed)

Oct 20, 2016
Thats an interesting passage..Jesus wrote to the seven churches and while they were making the effort they still had room for improvement. Its like you getting a report card for school, you get all As except for one subject where you get a F Does it nullify all the As you received, no, but the F is something you really need to address.
Jesus identified it was a problem with a certain teacher. So it might be that the F you get is cos you are going to the wrong class and should actually get rid of that teacher who is putting you wrong.
That analogy was helpful! Yet here's the thing which I'm getting confused. Doesn't the church/believers already know that the stated act is a sin? And even after knowing that they choose to be lured. Doesn't that nullify love? Cos I thought most important commandment was Love your God with all your heart with all your soul and with all your strength.
Or did they not know that it was a sin? Perhaps they did not receive written Scriptures?

Dec 12, 2013
Can't "You" be used in plural too though? Interesting to know whom it's specifically addressed to; still good to consider as if it were addressed to us (well, to whomever needed)
I do not think so to the bolded and while it is addressed to a church it is addressed to the only one in a position to influence the church I.E. the pastor......plus.....You ALL is used the majority of the time to address the plural aspect.....and notice he states....YOU......and then MY SERVANTS......singular then plural.....

L

Locoponydirtman

Here's my doubt

Your question is a non sequitur. Being loving and being caught in a sin are not mutually exclusive. some of the most loving people that I've ever met in my life were caught up in some kind of sin. The kind of people that would give you the shirt off their back, let destitute people live in their home, feed anybody that asks for food, go to their neighbors that they know were having trouble and bring them food, mowing injured man's yard for him without even asking, yet rampant adulterers, and drunkards.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
How is it possible to have true love and be seduced by sin at the same time?
Because the old Adamic sin nature (called "the flesh") has not been eradicated by God.

Christians are required to crucify or mortify the flesh by refusing to yield to its lusts. See Galatians 5.

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Here's my doubt

Do you have the capacity to love others? I hope you do..

Have you ever been loving towards others? I hope you have and still do..

Have you ever sinned and do you still sin? I am sure you have and you still do just like the rest of us human beings..

So how can you possibly recon that if a person sins they are unable to have and show true love ???

Oct 20, 2016
Do you have the capacity to love others? I hope you do..

Have you ever been loving towards others? I hope you have and still do..

Have you ever sinned and do you still sin? I am sure you have and you still do just like the rest of us human beings..

So how can you possibly recon that if a person sins they are unable to have and show true love ???
Thanks for these rhetorical questions, helps me to understand better...

But if we know a particular act is sin and willingly do it doesn't this verse mean we aren't showing true love?

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 [c]if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
Hebrew 6:4-6

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org

But if we know a particular act is sin and willingly do it doesn't this verse mean we aren't showing true love?

For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted the heavenly gift, and have become partakers of the Holy Spirit, 5 and have tasted the good word of God and the powers of the age to come, 6 [c]if they fall away, to renew them again to repentance, since they crucify again for themselves the Son of God, and put Him to an open shame.
God's word spells out the definition of sinful behavior as a guide. We learn to recognize our behavior as fruits of the spirit or of the flesh. Some sinful habits take longer than others.

If we stop putting off the works of the flesh for any reason, we risk being cut off. By cut off I mean not given what we need to grow in Christ, not given more faith, discernment and wisdom. That is a dangerous place to be.

While working in drug rehab, I came across a man that had done quite well reordering his life. He was working and not doing drugs or alcohol. But he still liked women and having sex with them. He did not think he could stop doing that. He told me that God would just have to understand. I just cringed, I knew that was the end of his growth. :cautious:

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016

Your Words now move from sin to WILLINGLY sin.. Moving the goal posts by a the proverbial mile..

I am not talking about willful sin.. I am talking about humans who sin but not with a willful attitude..

Also The verse you quote Hebrews 6 4-6 Where it does not mention sin at all..

You seem to be interpreting the fall away to be what happens when people sin??

People fall away when the cease to believe Jesus..
People fall, away when the cease to have trust ( Faith ) in the Atonement of the LORD Jesus that saves..

If a person continues to believe Jesus and trust in the Atonement of Jesus they are secure in their salvation..