How many close friends do you have and how old are you?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

blueluna5

Jul 30, 2018
I'm 33 and have 2 close friends. We met in college. We're all Christians, teachers, married with a baby so I think it's what we have in common that keeps us close.

I do not have any friends from my childhood anymore. None of them were Christians. I would still be friends with them but everything from values to deep connections are just not there anymore. :( I try to remember the good times though.

Now people from church I do think of as an extended family. I probably wouldn't share deep things about myself like I do with my husband and best friends. I guess that's the main difference. When you're very close to someone you don't judge them and they do not judge you. People make mistakes (Christians included) but experience is the greatest teacher.

If you are looking for true friends of course pray for them. I definitely prayed my one into existence.

Mar 22, 2019
Most people on Earth only have 1 to 3 close friends. Many do not have any, maybe even most. The reason is because a true friend is hard to find. If you moved around a lot then it's just that much harder to find a true friend. You have to be very intentional about BEING a good friend in order to acquire one once you get past college years which makes it harder than ever to find people who you see regularly outside of work.

Mar 22, 2019
It's okay. I don't have any either so I won't judge you. Maybe some people are meant to be alone. Nothing wrong with that, I don't think.
No one is meant to be alone. It's just that genuine people are so rare that their life paths rarely intersect.

Best way to find one is to do many things outside the house.

If you never leave the house, you'll never be able to find a friend. Your friend in waiting is NOT going to knock on your door when they never met you yet. TV HAS to go if you want to find a friend! (p.s. that also includes internet and youtube...)

Mar 20, 2019
I am 24 years old. I have maybe 1 close friend my age and 1 who is in her 40s. I’ve always had a small circle.

Feb 28, 2016
we have made many 'close' friends over the years that we seldom see now-a-days,
but if we do see some of them, their actions towards us speak to how they
feel about us - there's like a gracious generosity that is very humbling...
:):)

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
Just like my name.... zero. :cautious:
I dont think so, zt. Even if you dont, i consider you a friend! Dont be sad. We cannot always afford to stay and chat long, but friendships are a growing thing, remember. We have to keep nurturing and watering the friendship to grow=)).

mar09

Sep 17, 2014
After reading this thread, I thought abt how many friends I really have. For a long time, I kind of thought I didn’t really have any significant ones, esp while I was in depression. Now, as I count my blessings one by one, I realize there are really quite a number, most esp the Lord!

My childhood neighbor and playmate is still my friend, in spite of her being busy at work and living in neighboring town. Each time we manage to see each other on the street (which is abt once a month however), you see how happy she is, asking how things are. And we manage to talk a few mins., for often neither of us could spare more than those few mins. when we meet! She could barely reply to phone msgs, however, which makes her not a very accessible friend. Friendly dates are not easy too, for she has grandkids (twins) now, which I know are a great priority here.

A high school roommate and I also wrote each other for many years after college. She managed to come over to my wedding, while I could not to hers in a province down south. She stopped writing (snail mail) after she got sick I think, and after that when electronic communication was more common, we’d do the occasional emails and text msgs. She’s of a different faith though, and while you can say we are very close, there are matters I could not discuss or share with her.

My mom is a great friend, so giving and forgiving. Being RC, there are things one cannot share with her though. She listens when we share gospel things, but being abroad often, she is so implanted in her faith. There was a point she accepted the Lord at one time, I know, but now she still calls on Mary, with her neighborhood friends. I have a sister also abroad, with whom one can exchange thots, experiences, etc., and a bro also living in Manila, but actual meetings together are now few. Again they have stayed with their RC faiths, but I can say we are still very close, both as sibs and as friends.

A few people in church can be close friends=). The music/praise team are mostly younger people, and once in a while each unburdens during our short devotions before practice. As this isn’t very much time, however, what we can share is limited. But some of them have thankfully found the rest of us worthy to hear their triumphs and struggles (hence consider us friends=), so there are times I thank God that I have friends in the making. We’ve been in this church for abt 10 yrs now, so there’s a mom or two you can be building things up w/, but as many moms’ skeds are full, not very much time for getting to know each other more or fellowships.

Ah, and an online friend or two, even on cc. Of course there are select things we can and cannot say, but whether I am a close friend to them or not, why I consider them to be! It is said friendship is a two-way thing. I can neither easily trust nor quickly build such relationships esp. with factors as distance from kids’ schools affecting interactions w/ other parents, for example. But I can also begin being a friend to others, wc in time I see are bearing fruit in terms of the friendship relationship.

It seems harder to make friends as we grow older esp when we’ve not been very friendly ourselves, some say, but it is not impossible. Let’s continue to plant seeds, and we not only gain friends, but also brothers and sisters in the Lord!

Aug 2, 2009
I dont think so, zt. Even if you dont, i consider you a friend! Dont be sad. We cannot always afford to stay and chat long, but friendships are a growing thing, remember. We have to keep nurturing and watering the friendship to grow=)).
Thank you so much, Mar09. ♥♥♥ :)

TamLynn

A heart at rest
Nov 27, 2014
I'm 48 and have 6-7 close friends. People I call on to pray for me, and who I can trust 100% with what I share.
A couple of them I've known for 20+ years. The rest I've been blessed with in the last few.

student

Jul 20, 2010
I know very few of you personally, but I"ve seen a lot of heart felt comments that make me trust this site more than most. That said, I"m really surprised. I used to 'choose' my 'friends' to find that when I let God do it, it works much, much better. I have three confidants....thing is I confide different things to each...or at least on a different level...one is a deeply Christian lady...who always says "Be strong", one is not too 'into' Christian things (I"m working on that with her) who hears me when i'm not 'so strong', and one who is about like that too, who knows my greatest weakness...the one who really knew my weak side, left. We were friends. NOw I think we pray for each other. 4 close friends and Jesus who bears me up when I'm crying. I do that, and I'm not embarassed, much... I'm so thankful for my dear friends, my CCR friends/acquaintances....and my cat who is my favorite. :)

student

Jul 20, 2010
I'm 53. Having a friend has been a lifelong project...i had none in childhood. One of my favorite quotes is this, "He who has one true friend, has more than his share."

bluedream

Apr 12, 2019
I have a lot of friends but there are only two that I really that I consider my best friends.

G

Godsgirl83

< 35 here.............Well, the OP said other than spouse (so that's 1 for me) otherwise............ I have a couple of "mom friends" we can laugh about life and kids but other than that............. nothing to personal or deep................ I DO HAVE ONE VERY CLOSE (other than hubby) FRIEND............ MY BEST FRIEND:
JESUS!!! And I'm fine with that! :giggle:

Krumbeard

Apr 15, 2019
I am 42 and would say that I have 8 close friends not including siblings or parents. My wife was my best friend. I miss her.
I share pretty deep with those 8 friends and some siblings and parents.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
I have 3 root friends. One since I was 3.5, 2 since elementary school. I have 2 very close friends in town. One is very very special to me because we are also sisters in Christ, like my lifelong gal pals. I am super close to my Mama too,; she is probably my best human friend, her and my daughters. I am pretty close to my biological sisters too, we are doing better as we get older and older. I am almost 54.

Now with that said, I can be a rotten and selfish friend. I love connection, but on my own terms, lol, when I am ready for it. My gal pals have helped me grow, though, as iron is to iron. I am so grateful. They have helped me be the friend, I want to have. It can hurt sometimes, be work other times, but worth it ALL the time. I have learned good and lasting friendships require listening, caring, forgiveness and growth, all mixed up with lots of sharing and laughter. Having quality friendships, requires selflessness, which is NOT always easy.

Jesus is the closest, most unconditional, most merciful, most edifying and rewarding friend I have, because He is the MOST selfless.

Didymous

Feb 22, 2018
The only close friends I had were from before I was saved-with the exception of one of my mothers-in-law.