How Often Do You Give/Receive Hugs?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

How Often Do You Give/Receive Hugs?

• I am single and never give/receive hugs.

Votes: 5 15.6%
  • I am married and never give/receive hugs. (Does this include with your spouse?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am single and give/receive hugs 1-5 times a month.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I am married and give/receive hugs 1-5 times a month. (Again, does this include your spouse?)

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • I am single and give/receive hugs 5 or more times a month.

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • I am married and give/receive hugs 5 or more times a month.

• I give/receive few to no hugs and I feel that this negatively impacts my life.

• I give/receive no hugs and am comfortable with that--physical affection makes me uneasy.

Votes: 3 9.4%
  • I would like to give/receive hugs more often but have no one to share them with.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I would like to give/receive hugs more often (to my family, church family, etc.) but am unsure how.

• Total voters
Jun 14, 2016
I really like hugging people.
I would say it happens most at church, but it also happens if maybe someone comes over to visit or I go to hang out with someone/a group of people, almost like a greeting or, when I leave, a bid farewell. I also like to hug people to encourage them and sometimes I gotta give people multiple hugs lol.

Zaphk1

Dec 28, 2018
hey! there's no A-frame hugs that girls give too each other (tic) :p

shineyourlight

May 25, 2015
Hey Everyone,

A recent conversation had me thinking about how often single people give or receive any kind of physical affection. I think most everyone has read articles in which it's been documented that some babies who were given life necessities but no physical affection or care have perished, and I often wonder what kind of effect a lack of contact has on people as adults.

Why is it assumed that a lack of affection is just a natural occurrence as people get older?

Of course, as Christians, sexual contact is not an option for us singles until we get married, but what about more innocent things such as holding someone's hand (a friend or relative), a warm (but not overly long or suspiciously creepy) hug, and an affectionate kiss on the cheek (such as between friends or relatives)?

I admit to being a fairly affectionate person, and lack of an outlet for even the most innocent forms of affection has me feeling at a loss.

I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up in a family in which, even though I'm an adult, my parents smother me with hugs and/or verbal affirmations, and I can feel the perk in my soul just from being around that exchange for even just a few moments. The only hugs I receive these days are from my parents, but unfortunately, I don't get to see them nearly as much as I would like.

What about the rest of you? If you'll give me a few moments, I'm going to create an anonymous, multiple-choice poll that will reflect this threads original question.

However, some of the topics that won't be adequately covered by the poll are:

* Who do you exchange these affections with? (Parents, children, church members, etc.)

* Perhaps you don't feel comfortable with any kind of affection at all? Why? (If you would feel comfortable sharing.) And if you're not comfortable with affection, what kind of effect do you think that will have on a future marriage?

* Who were your role models in showing affection, and do you strive to be more or less like them? (For example, if you had parents who hugged you often, do you aspire to be like them? Or if you had parents who never hugged you or each other in front of others, do you plan to be the same way in your own marriage and family?)

Remember, the poll is anonymous, so no one can see your answers, as well as multiple choice, so feel free to choose as many as you feel apply.

I am hoping, however, that the poll will not be seen as a substitute for an actual discussion and am hoping that people will feel free to share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

Married people are welcome to answer as well--was it liberating or challenging to to from being single, to being around someone--and trying to show them affection, all the time?

We singles appreciate our married friends here who teach us the realities of married life without talking down to us. :)

I'll be looking forward to your answers. :)
So, I'm recently single and I allowed my boyfriend to be the only one that hugged me. The only other people I'd hug is family if it's a family gathering.

I'm fine with affection if I'm feeling upset, but not hugging.

I strive to be less like my Dad. This is probably why I don't like hugs. He was not affectionate at all to me when I was growing up.

Feb 28, 2016
Think i'll give you ALL a great-big HUG,
and then give myself one...:)

danja

Nov 28, 2014
I receive hugs and kisses daily from my family and sometimes friends

AgapeShellArt

Nov 21, 2018
Seriously 5 hugs a month? I give and receive at least 7 daily. Got three from my supervisor this morning because I gave her a prayer shawl because she had a car accident two days ago.

AgapeShellArt

Nov 21, 2018
Hey Everyone,

A recent conversation had me thinking about how often single people give or receive any kind of physical affection. I think most everyone has read articles in which it's been documented that some babies who were given life necessities but no physical affection or care have perished, and I often wonder what kind of effect a lack of contact has on people as adults.

Why is it assumed that a lack of affection is just a natural occurrence as people get older?

Of course, as Christians, sexual contact is not an option for us singles until we get married, but what about more innocent things such as holding someone's hand (a friend or relative), a warm (but not overly long or suspiciously creepy) hug, and an affectionate kiss on the cheek (such as between friends or relatives)?

I admit to being a fairly affectionate person, and lack of an outlet for even the most innocent forms of affection has me feeling at a loss.

I consider myself very fortunate to have grown up in a family in which, even though I'm an adult, my parents smother me with hugs and/or verbal affirmations, and I can feel the perk in my soul just from being around that exchange for even just a few moments. The only hugs I receive these days are from my parents, but unfortunately, I don't get to see them nearly as much as I would like.

What about the rest of you? If you'll give me a few moments, I'm going to create an anonymous, multiple-choice poll that will reflect this threads original question.

However, some of the topics that won't be adequately covered by the poll are:

* Who do you exchange these affections with? (Parents, children, church members, etc.)

* Perhaps you don't feel comfortable with any kind of affection at all? Why? (If you would feel comfortable sharing.) And if you're not comfortable with affection, what kind of effect do you think that will have on a future marriage?

* Who were your role models in showing affection, and do you strive to be more or less like them? (For example, if you had parents who hugged you often, do you aspire to be like them? Or if you had parents who never hugged you or each other in front of others, do you plan to be the same way in your own marriage and family?)

Remember, the poll is anonymous, so no one can see your answers, as well as multiple choice, so feel free to choose as many as you feel apply.

I am hoping, however, that the poll will not be seen as a substitute for an actual discussion and am hoping that people will feel free to share their thoughts, opinions, and experiences.

Married people are welcome to answer as well--was it liberating or challenging to to from being single, to being around someone--and trying to show them affection, all the time?

We singles appreciate our married friends here who teach us the realities of married life without talking down to us. :)

I'll be looking forward to your answers. :)
Okay just read this.

I get at least two hugs from my family members daily (husband, son and daughter/ in the morning as a hello and at night as a bedtime prayer) and normally see at least one friend who I am close enough that we hug as a greeting.

I actually grew up with a mom who thought hugs were too much physical affection. She is Khmer and Asian culture is different than American. However my brothers and I rebelled when we were teeenagers and gave her hugs despite her protest that it lacked decorum. I think she secretly likes it and gives my kids/ her grandkids hugs as greeting and farewell as well now.

Some people shake hands. In my family we hug.

Someone tried to shake my daughters hand when she was four and she gave them a strange look. He thought he had done something wrong but I laugh and told him "we do hugs, bit handshakes. I am not sure she has every given anyone a handshake before."

I didn't realize in that moment that it might not be the normal thing for most people to do.

Jan 20, 2019
Once a week I see my mom and she gets a hug. Nobody here hugs except my mom and I hug my kids. With the rest I keep my arm straight. I never hugged my dad. I'd like to, but I think it's weird. Once he was sick and I pulled him up and gave him a there there pat like Sheldon. Took like 45 years for my sister and I to be able to give each other a sort of hug and kiss. We always thought it was weird, so much display of affection lol.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
NEVER..

I'm not a hugger and I don't enjoy giving or getting hugs.

BrotherMike

Be Still and Know
Jan 8, 2018
Healthy physical touch is my second love language. I love to give and receive hugs from those that have meaning in my life.