How Old Is The Universe/Earth? (According To The Bible)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Oct 31, 2021
The Earth is not six thousand years old nor is it billions of years old... The Universe is not billions of years old either
The Universe(Heaven) and The Earth were created at the same time
"In The Beginning God created The Heaven and The Earth (Gen 1:1/2:4)
Therefore, since The Heavens and The Earth were created at the same time, the age of the universe can be calculated by calculating The Age of The Earth.
How do we calculate the age of The Earth?
We can calculate The Age of The Earth by adding up the ages of biblical people in The Bible

List of ages of Biblical Characters

Adam (930)
Seth(912)
Enos(905)
Cainan(910)
Mahalaleel(895)
Jared(962)
Enoch(365)
Methuselah(969)
Lamech(777)
Noah(950)
Shem(600)
Arphaxad(438)
Salah(433)
Eber(464)
Peleg(239)
Reu(239)
Serug(230)
Nahor(148)
Terah(70- Age when Abraham was born)

(From Shem to Terah you have to add the age of when they lived and had their son and the age they begot other sons and daughters)
(You will find that the same method will work when you also calculate Adam to Noah)

When you add The Ages from Adam to Terah you should get the number- 11,436

But what about the rest of the biblical people?

To make things easier you should turn to The New Testament because it summarizes the time length from Abraham to Jesus

"So all the generations from Abraham to David are 14 generations, and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are 14 generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are 14 generations" (Matthew 1:17)

Since, a generation is 70 or 80 years, how do we know which one is the correct interpretation?

In order to know which generation is the correct one we have to look at the verse again

"And from David until the carrying away into Babylon are 14 generations" (How long were the chosen people in exile?)

"For thus saith The Lord, That after 70 years be accomplished at Babylon I will visit you, and perform my good work toward you, in causing you to return to this place" (Jeremiah 29:10)

Since the exile was 70 years, it would make sense from the time of Abraham until David to be 70 years; and from the carrying away into Babylon until Christ are 70 years.

Now lets add the total of the generations from Abraham until Christ (There are a total of 42 generations) (14 times 3)

70 times 42= 2940 years

Remember, from Adam until The Birth of Abraham are 11,436 years

11,436 years plus 2940 years= 14,376 years

About 2000 years have passed since the time of Christ

14,376 years plus 2,021 years=(16,397 years)

In conclusion, The Age of The Heavens and The Age of The Earth are about 16,397 years

(I will make another post on the decree to restore and rebuilt Jerusalem soon)

King James Version

God Bless

Oct 1, 2021
I noticed you added Adam's 930 to Seth's 912. This way of measuring assumes that Seth was born as Adam died, when in fact their lives overlapped in years. A more accurate way of measuring is to add the ages when they had their sons.

Adam - 130 when he had Seth
Seth - 105 when he had Enosh
Enosh - 90 when he had Kenan
Kenan - 70 when he had Mahalalel
Mahalalel - 65 when he had Jared
Jared - 162 when he had Enoch
Enoch - 65 when he had Methuselah
Methuselah - 187 when he had Lamech
Lamech - 182 when he had Noah
Noah - 500 when he had Shem, Ham, and Japeth
Shem - 100 when he had Arphaxad
Arphaxad - 35 when he had Shelah
Shelah - 30 when he had Eber
Eber - 34 when he had Peleg
Peleg - 30 when he had Reu
Reu - 32 when he had Serug
Serug - 30 when he had Nahor
Nahor - 29 when he had Terah
Terah - 70 when he had Abram

There were 1,946 years from Adam to Abraham.
So the Universe was 1,946 + 5 days old when Abraham was born, because Adam was created on the 6th day.

I think using that number you will find the Universe is a lot closer to 6000 years old.

O

Omegatime

I noticed you added Adam's 930 to Seth's 912. This way of measuring assumes that Seth was born as Adam died, when in fact their lives overlapped in years. A more accurate way of measuring is to add the ages when they had their sons.

Adam - 130 when he had Seth
Seth - 105 when he had Enosh
Enosh - 90 when he had Kenan
Kenan - 70 when he had Mahalalel
Mahalalel - 65 when he had Jared
Jared - 162 when he had Enoch
Enoch - 65 when he had Methuselah
Methuselah - 187 when he had Lamech
Lamech - 182 when he had Noah
Noah - 500 when he had Shem, Ham, and Japeth
Shem - 100 when he had Arphaxad
Arphaxad - 35 when he had Shelah
Shelah - 30 when he had Eber
Eber - 34 when he had Peleg
Peleg - 30 when he had Reu
Reu - 32 when he had Serug
Serug - 30 when he had Nahor
Nahor - 29 when he had Terah
Terah - 70 when he had Abram

There were 1,946 years from Adam to Abraham.
So the Universe was 1,946 + 5 days old when Abraham was born, because Adam was created on the 6th day.

I think using that number you will find the Universe is a lot closer to 6000 years old.

Well done. My personal timeline is only 2 years off from yours. I have 1948 as the birth of Abraham . I also have the world flood in year 1656 from creation, Jacob ( Israel stands before Pharaoh at 130 years old---year from creation 2238, Exodus from Egypt as year 2553, Moses dies in year 2593, and 4th year of Solomon's reign as year 3033. ( 1 Kings 6:1 )

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
What I have been given to learn about time since creation is this: The Hebrew scholars of the Word and of the astrology of their time (No! Not the Zodiac and mythical nam3es of the stars etc.), were making the Lunar Calenda from Adam

The proceeded to calculate time from Adam by the ages given of the peop,le listed in Genesis

Something which determined their calculations was hindered by one of the laws given Moses, that being not to add t nor take away from the Word of God.

They came up with a very practical solution when dthey found several of the genealogies were missing, ergo the time they represented was missing. Their simple solution? Just add up the ones they did have.

We are not approaching the end of the sixth millennium, whith se Sventh right at our doorstep. Because we have missing years we aremuch closer to the seventh thatn we could possibly know. Ergo, no man knos the time nor the date, so be prepared dand watch..

O

Omegatime

I respectfully disagree in your determination. If what you say is true than the NT is wrong also. There are 76 generations from Adam to the Lord with Jesus being the 77th in Luke 3. I can tell you my biggest problem is with spelling of names in different bible versions-lol.

There is problems in some scriptures in the Old Testament but missing names is not one of them.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I respectfully disagree in your determination. If what you say is true than the NT is wrong also. There are 76 generations from Adam to the Lord with Jesus being the 77th in Luke 3. I can tell you my biggest problem is with spelling of names in different bible versions-lol.

There is problems in some scriptures in the Old Testament but missing names is not one of them.
You are going through only the genealogy of our Lord, Jesus Yeshua. There are eleven other tribes , one of the which is composed of the two half tribes , sons of Joseph.

O

Omegatime

Then you are overlapping the generations. What is important is the genealogy of the Lord in determining time from creation

Oct 1, 2021
Well done. My personal timeline is only 2 years off from yours. I have 1948 as the birth of Abraham . I also have the world flood in year 1656 from creation, Jacob ( Israel stands before Pharaoh at 130 years old---year from creation 2238, Exodus from Egypt as year 2553, Moses dies in year 2593, and 4th year of Solomon's reign as year 3033. ( 1 Kings 6:1 )
I haven’t studied this topic, so I can’t contribute past Abraham. I just saw this thread and turned to Genesis 5. So, I wouldn’t know if you are correct, although you could be.

One thing that boggles my mind is that Methuselah, the oldest recorded living man, was alive for about 1/6 of history, same goes for all those old folks. Imagine being alive for the last 900 years of history 1100-2000. It seems like there’s so much that happened in that time frame. I wonder what the early humans did all the time. Just farm, raise livestock, and fight land wars? Have we come much farther today?

O

Omegatime

I haven’t studied this topic, so I can’t contribute past Abraham. I just saw this thread and turned to Genesis 5. So, I wouldn’t know if you are correct, although you could be.

One thing that boggles my mind is that Methuselah, the oldest recorded living man, was alive for about 1/6 of history, same goes for all those old folks. Imagine being alive for the last 900 years of history 1100-2000. It seems like there’s so much that happened in that time frame. I wonder what the early humans did all the time. Just farm, raise livestock, and fight land wars? Have we come much farther today?

Have you considered why Methuseleh wasn't on the Ark with Noah? And why wasn't there days and months attached to their birth and death? Does it seem there was no sickness among the early patriarchs to live such a long life??