How should Christians respond to mask mandates?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

How should Christians respond to a mandate to wear masks?

• Wear the mask

Votes: 14 53.8%
  • Don't wear the mask

Votes: 7 26.9%
  • Choose alternative such as a face shield to wear

Votes: 2 7.7%
  • Other please comment

Votes: 5 19.2%

• Total voters

CherieR

May 6, 2017
How should Christians respond to a mandate to wear masks in public?

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
IMO.... Wear a mask.

I'm not overly happy with it but I wear one when in the store because I should. Scripture clearly tells us to be subject to and obey the civil authorities whom God placed over us (obviously excepting when government orders us to do something in violation of God's law).

Romans 13:1-7 (ESV)
Let every person be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and those that exist have been instituted by God. 2 Therefore whoever resists the authorities resists what God has appointed, and those who resist will incur judgment. 3 For rulers are not a terror to good conduct, but to bad. Would you have no fear of the one who is in authority? Then do what is good, and you will receive his approval, 4 for he is God's servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is the servant of God, an avenger who carries out God's wrath on the wrongdoer. 5 Therefore one must be in subjection, not only to avoid God's wrath but also for the sake of conscience. 6 For because of this you also pay taxes, for the authorities are ministers of God, attending to this very thing. 7 Pay to all what is owed to them: taxes to whom taxes are owed, revenue to whom revenue is owed, respect to whom respect is owed, honor to whom honor is owed.

1st Peter 2:13-17(ESV)
13 Be subject for the Lord's sake to every human institution,[b] whether it be to the emperor[c] as supreme, 14 or to governors as sent by him to punish those who do evil and to praise those who do good. 15 For this is the will of God, that by doing good you should put to silence the ignorance of foolish people. 16 Live as people who are free, not using your freedom as a cover-up for evil, but living as servants[d] of God. 17 Honor everyone. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the emperor.

Paul and Peter wrote these passages in a time when the governing authority (Rome) was actively persecuting and executing Christians.

E

EleventhHour

Are you thinking from the science perspective or from a directive from the authorities?

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
i wear a mask because businesses have the right to refuse service to anyone ( everyone has seemingly forgotten this), and they can ask people to wear a mask when entering their stores, that is absolutely their right.

while the virus is overblown and deaths and cases are ( way) overcounted, all the folks going into stores and cussing out employees are wrong for doing so.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
Are you thinking from the science perspective or from a directive from the authorities?
I have read up about some things and also listened to some videos one by Laura Ingram on the angle.

Some things I heard is cloth masks can retain moisture. And that there may be increase risk of infection. I am not sure about the proper way to clean masks so that whatever harmful bacteria that could be on there from use may be removed or at least greatly reduced.
Disposable masks could be an option except for me the blue disposable one's make my face itch and one I wore seemed to cause me to break out.
I also think about the people who may feel more comfortable with others wearing masks around them.

I ordered a face shield from online. I feel like the face shield would be more comfortable to breathe, hopefully not fog my glasses, and also would be easier to disinfect.

E

EleventhHour

I have read up about some things and also listened to some videos one by Laura Ingram on the angle.

Some things I heard is cloth masks can retain moisture. And that there may be increase risk of infection. I am not sure about the proper way to clean masks so that whatever harmful bacteria that could be on there from use may be removed or at least greatly reduced.
Disposable masks could be an option except for me the blue disposable one's make my face itch and one I wore seemed to cause me to break out.
I also think about the people who may feel more comfortable with others wearing masks around them.

I ordered a face shield from online. I feel like the face shield would be more comfortable to breathe, hopefully not fog my glasses, and also would be easier to disinfect.
Yes face shield is a good option.

I do not know what Laura said but there are six billion bacteria in your mouth and any bacteria that goes from your mouth onto the mask should be harmless unless you have strep or something.

The mask is more to protect others than yourself, unless you use the high grade masks.

I think the main thing with a mask is to avoid touching it as much as possible and be careful how you remove it and wash hands once you take it off.

Face masks have been a thing during many pandemics and are known to slow transmission.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
If you have been following the games being played by the so-called *medical experts* this whole masking business is a ploy to control peoples' lives from *on high*. The statistics on COVID-19 cannot be trusted because the medics have used this virus to create fear and panic, while attacking highly effective HCQ which would have reduced the numbers of those who were infected.

Masking is the first step in totalitarianism in the free world. Some doctors have come right out and said that masks are detrimental to peoples' health. Fauci himself said at one time that only those who are actually infected should wear masks. Now he's become the masked bandit (in more ways than one) who wants everyone under his thumb.

The only masks effective against viral transmission are N95 masks. And these have been restricted for the use of medical personnel and first responders, and even CDC has discouraged their general use.

But over the last seven months, the people who want this manufactured *crisis* to continue indefinitely have decided that they will not allow economies and people to get back to their normal levels. And what better way to do it than to demand masks whether they are needed or not, or whether they are effective or not? Now *social distancing* is disrupting normal business while people wait in long lines as if the bubonic plague has been unleashed.

Flu epidemics have come and gone over many years, and were generally ignored. But because Donald Trump challenged the globalist/elitist/climate change agenda, as well as Chinese dominance in world trade, there is a huge movement to get rid of Trump, and install a Communist in the White House (which is more than likely).

And the Chinese do have a hand in this conspiracy, which also destroyed the American economy. They have deliberately lied about everything, while shipping defective medical supplies and equipment to the West. But the mainstream media are in collusion with China, and will say nothing about Chinese treachery.

BLM and Antifa are a part of this conspiracy to create anarchy before the next election, while also undermining the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the rule of law. The lawlessness right across the USA should be coupled with all the other conspiracies that have been triggered since Trump was elected. And no one is demanding that the rioters and looters wear masks (other than to hide their identities).

CherieR

May 6, 2017
If you have been following the games being played by the so-called *medical experts* this whole masking business is a ploy to control peoples' lives from *on high*. The statistics on COVID-19 cannot be trusted because the medics have used this virus to create fear and panic, while attacking highly effective HCQ which would have reduced the numbers of those who were infected.

Masking is the first step in totalitarianism in the free world. Some doctors have come right out and said that masks are detrimental to peoples' health. Fauci himself said at one time that only those who are actually infected should wear masks. Now he's become the masked bandit (in more ways than one) who wants everyone under his thumb.

The only masks effective against viral transmission are N95 masks. And these have been restricted for the use of medical personnel and first responders, and even CDC has discouraged their general use.

But over the last seven months, the people who want this manufactured *crisis* to continue indefinitely have decided that they will not allow economies and people to get back to their normal levels. And what better way to do it than to demand masks whether they are needed or not, or whether they are effective or not? Now *social distancing* is disrupting normal business while people wait in long lines as if the bubonic plague has been unleashed.

Flu epidemics have come and gone over many years, and were generally ignored. But because Donald Trump challenged the globalist/elitist/climate change agenda, as well as Chinese dominance in world trade, there is a huge movement to get rid of Trump, and install a Communist in the White House (which is more than likely).

And the Chinese do have a hand in this conspiracy, which also destroyed the American economy. They have deliberately lied about everything, while shipping defective medical supplies and equipment to the West. But the mainstream media are in collusion with China, and will say nothing about Chinese treachery.

BLM and Antifa are a part of this conspiracy to create anarchy before the next election, while also undermining the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the rule of law. The lawlessness right across the USA should be coupled with all the other conspiracies that have been triggered since Trump was elected. And no one is demanding that the rioters and looters wear masks (other than to hide their identities).
@Nehemiah6 , I would like things to return to normal. I have wondered myself if this could be a precursor to the end times and mark of the beast and I don't really know.

I am not as comfortable wearing masks and I decided to order a face shield which should be more comfortable with breathing, easier to clean, and it does not hide one's identity.

Feb 28, 2016
hub usually does the 'shopping', and doesn't 'wear' a mask -
as he was away taking care of a family member who is NOT SICK but needs help,
I had to go out and do some shopping -
I had never worn a 'mask', but the store that I was going into had a sign up saying that
you had to wear a 'mask' to enter', and so I did =
I got nauseous while shopping on my way out, started to 'gag' = from the mask...

I'm just saying, evidently the 'mask' had some powerful chems in it the I was reacting to... =

also, at about the same time frame, I went into a local store for some other supplies -
while I was at the register, several of us began talking about the 'masks' and I asked IF
any of them had known or heard of anyone having the 'covid' = none had but one who said
that she had 'heard' of an employer who had 'two'...
say WHAAATTT???
are hub and I living on planet Mars??? where's the okra???
just sharing!
:):)

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
are masks being provided, if they are, wear them or make you own. Or stay home.
People wont want to be too near you if you arent wearing one, so up to you.

If we are Christians we submit to governing authorities even if things dont make sense to us. If you go to any country, you still need to observe their laws and customs even if different from your own, because if you dont, you could be put in jail or executed or deported or whatever. you still pay taxes even if the tax rate is higher than you think it ought to be and the money isnt being used for what YOU prefer it to be used for.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
hub usually does the 'shopping', and doesn't 'wear' a mask -
as he was away taking care of a family member who is NOT SICK but needs help,
I had to go out and do some shopping -
I had never worn a 'mask', but the store that I was going into had a sign up saying that
you had to wear a 'mask' to enter', and so I did =
I got nauseous while shopping on my way out, started to 'gag' = from the mask...

I'm just saying, evidently the 'mask' had some powerful chems in it the I was reacting to... =

also, at about the same time frame, I went into a local store for some other supplies -
while I was at the register, several of us began talking about the 'masks' and I asked IF
any of them had known or heard of anyone having the 'covid' = none had but one who said
that she had 'heard' of an employer who had 'two'...
say WHAAATTT???
are hub and I living on planet Mars??? where's the okra???
just sharing!
:):)
Wow, the masks have never made me gag. Do you know what kind you were wearing?

CherieR

May 6, 2017
are masks being provided, if they are, wear them or make you own. Or stay home.
People wont want to be too near you if you arent wearing one, so up to you.

If we are Christians we submit to governing authorities even if things dont make sense to us. If you go to any country, you still need to observe their laws and customs even if different from your own, because if you dont, you could be put in jail or executed or deported or whatever. you still pay taxes even if the tax rate is higher than you think it ought to be and the money isnt being used for what YOU prefer it to be used for.
Masks normally are not provided at public places from my knowledge but a library once was handing some out.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
also its not as if wearing a mask means you are told to worship an idol or else. which might be the only exception to disobeying a governor.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Masks normally are not provided at public places from my knowledge but a library once was handing some out.
most workplaces will have them but schools arent having them, dpending on restriction levels here it was decided they would close altogether and only open when the risk wasnt so great.
when we can trace who might have the virus from overseas we quarantined those people
If you cant do that then everyone needed to wear a mask because nobody really knew if they or other people in public carried the virus or not.

There IS a reason behind it..if you cough or sneeze if your mouth is covered then it wont spread to others as the virus spreads through droplets. and it wont go in your nose or mouth as point of entry. But you have to be careful about your eyes as well so a good idea to wear glasses.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I very much doubt its a precursor to end times but it seems a. few christians dont like being told what to do by someone else. well welcome to the real world where you are not the boss and dont get a choice.

CherieR

May 6, 2017
most workplaces will have them but schools arent having them, dpending on restriction levels here it was decided they would close altogether and only open when the risk wasnt so great.
when we can trace who might have the virus from overseas we quarantined those people
If you cant do that then everyone needed to wear a mask because nobody really knew if they or other people in public carried the virus or not.

There IS a reason behind it..if you cough or sneeze if your mouth is covered then it wont spread to others as the virus spreads through droplets. and it wont go in your nose or mouth as point of entry. But you have to be careful about your eyes as well so a good idea to wear glasses.
I already have glasses. I have felt a bit grossed out thinking about sneezing into a mask and still wearing it on my mouth...

I ordered a face shield and that's different from a mask but still is concerned a face covering.

Feb 28, 2016
Wow, the masks have never made me gag. Do you know what kind you were wearing?
======================
Cherie,
it's a 'poly something, = but just saying, it got a lot of 'chems' in it that effects people who are sensitive to chems, such
as myself - just sharing...
I met a man the other day when I first wore the mask while walking into the store and told him that this was the first time
that I had worn one, and he told me that he felt really sick and was sick of the whole political games...i did admire him for
his 'honesty' and sharing...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just want to add, do you trust doctors or nurses to look after you when you are sick? are they not people just like you are. How much big a risk are They taking to look after the sick when they could fall sick themselves for looking after you?

Think about it. They are in direct contact with way more sick people than you who are not in that profession will ever be. Imagine if they werent able to protect themselves.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Just wear a muslin cloth or scarf and wash it or boil it to sterilise after going out, if you sensitive to chemicals dont wear anything with plastic.
when SARS was going round, most people in asia took to wearing masks even after the risk was less. They made their own out of cloth and come in all different designs and patterns. It wasnt seen as a bad thing. Its like wearing gloves when you are gardening.

some people are like oh I prefer to get my hands dirty, or wearing gloves are uncomfortable. or Ive hard of hardcore gardeners go I am not wearing any gloves, they are for wimps, then they come crying to me cos theyve cut the selves with thorns or chopped off their fingers. Just find ones that fit for goodness sakes. Its for your own protection.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Masks are not to protect you from the public. They are to protect the public from you. If you don't want to wear a mask, make sure that you test negative for covid19 and test frequently.