How the Serpent Became Satan

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com

Whispered

Aug 17, 2019
www.christiancourier.com
Why should it be deleted? Christians should see what a fraud this Shawna Dolansky is.
I think it helps show people who you are since you are here among us.
And as it is a thread I started, I would hope the Moderators grant my respectful request. I did not start this thread to invite hate and derision. And it is wrong to seek to let it remain visible so that hate and derision may exercise itself in this community.
Christianity is love. Not hate.

NayborBear

Banned Serpent Seed Heresy
It's not really a "news flash" you're posting here.
Many right here in the BDF, are aware that "the adversary" goes by more then several "monikers."

Having said that? They may not be aware that some of these "monikers", refer to an "organizational structure", ascribed to the kingdom of darkness.........
But Enoch did!
The Book of Enoch-aka 1 Enoch
Chapter 7
2And when the angels, (3) the sons of heaven, beheld them, they became enamoured of them, saying to each other, Come, let us select for ourselves wives from the progeny of men, and let us beget children.

3Then their leader Samyaza said to them; I fear that you may perhaps be indisposed to the performance of this enterprise;

4And that I alone shall suffer for so grievous a crime.

5But they answered him and said; We all swear;

6And bind ourselves by mutual execrations, that we will not change our intention, but execute our projected undertaking.

7Then they swore all together, and all bound themselves by mutual execrations. Their whole number was two hundred, who descended upon Ardis, (4) which is the top of mount Armon.

8That mountain therefore was called Armon, because they had sworn upon it, (5) and bound themselves by mutual execrations.

(5) Mt. Armon, or Mt. Hermon, derives its name from the Hebrew word herem, a curse (Charles, p. 63).

9These are the names of their chiefs: Samyaza, who was their leader, Urakabarameel, Akibeel, Tamiel, Ramuel, Danel, Azkeel, Saraknyal, Asael, Armers, Batraal, Anane, Zavebe, Samsaveel, Ertael, Turel, Yomyael, Arazyal. These were the prefects of the two hundred angels, and the remainder were all with them. (6)

(6) The Aramaic texts preserve an earlier list of names of these Watchers: Semihazah; Artqoph; Ramtel; Kokabel; Ramel; Danieal; Zeqiel; Baraqel; Asael; Hermoni; Matarel; Ananel; Stawel; Samsiel; Sahriel; Tummiel; Turiel; Yomiel; Yhaddiel (Milik, p. 151).

(can't tell the "players", without a scorecard, yanno?)

10Then they took wives, each choosing for himself; whom they began to approach, and with whom they cohabited; teaching them sorcery, incantations, and the dividing of roots and trees.

Chapter 8

1Moreover Azazyel taught men to make swords, knives, shields, breastplates, the fabrication of mirrors, and the workmanship of bracelets and ornaments, the use of paint, the beautifying of the eyebrows, the use of stones of every valuable and select kind, and all sorts of dyes, so that the world became altered.

2Impiety increased; fornication multiplied; and they transgressed and corrupted all their ways.

3Amazarak taught all the sorcerers, and dividers of roots:

4Armers taught the solution of sorcery;

5Barkayal taught the observers of the stars, (9)

(9) Observers of the stars. Astrologers (Charles, p. 67).

6Akibeel taught signs;

7Tamiel taught astronomy;

8And Asaradel taught the motion of the moon,

9And men, being destroyed, cried out; and their voice reached to heaven.

One should take note here, concerning:
Revelation 6
2 And I saw, and behold a white horse: and he that sat on him had a bow (cheap imitation); and a crown was given unto him: and he went forth conquering, and to conquer.

Instead of stating an "event" of the future, concerning the "beast that ascendeth out of the bottomless pit?"
John is having "revealed" to him, that which had already, occurred! And, is still occurring!
By and through the hands of deceived men and women!
Much like "nimrod's" tower of babel?
A cheap cheap IMITATION of "heaven on earth!"

Sep 14, 2019
I've asked for this thread to be deleted.
Let the room cheer!
Don't delete posts like these. There is an animosity that seeps through when the status quo is challenged. Christianity should be about freedom including freedom of speech and freedom of intellectual thought.

Dec 12, 2013
How the Serpent Became Satan

Adam, Eve and the serpent in the Garden of Eden
Shawna Dolansky une 08, 2019

Introduced as “the most clever of all of the beasts of the field that YHWH God had made,” the serpent in the Garden of Eden is portrayed as just that: a serpent. Satan does not make an appearance in Genesis 2–3, for the simple reason that when the story was written, the concept of the devil had not yet been invented. Explaining the serpent in the Garden of Eden as Satan would have been as foreign a concept to the ancient authors of the text as referring to Ezekiel’s vision as a UFO (but Google “Ezekiel’s vision” now, and you’ll see that plenty of people today have made that connection!). In fact, while the word satan appears elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, it is never a proper name; since there is no devil in ancient Israel’s worldview, there can’t yet have been a proper name for such a creature.

Depicted here are God the Father, cherubim, angels,
Adam, Eve and the serpent in the Garden of Eden
in Domenichino’s painting The Rebuke of Adam and Eve (1626).
Photo: Patrons’ Permanent Fund, National Gallery of Art.

The noun satan, Hebrew for “adversary” or “accuser,” occurs nine times in the Hebrew Bible: five times to describe a human military, political or legal opponent, and four times with reference to a divine being. In Numbers 22, the prophet Balaam, hired to curse the Israelites, is stopped by a messenger from Israel’s God YHWH, described as “the satan” acting on God’s behalf. In Job, “the satan” is a member of God’s heavenly council—one of the divine beings, whose role in Job’s story is to be an “accuser,” a status acquired by people in ancient Israel and Mesopotamia for the purposes of particular legal proceedings. In Job’s case, what’s on trial is God’s assertion that Job is completely “blameless and upright” vs. the satan’s contention that Job only behaves himself because God has rewarded him. God argues that Job is rewarded because he is good, and not good because he is rewarded. The satan challenges God to a wager that if everything is taken away from poor Job, he won’t be so good anymore, and God accepts. Though a perception of “the satan” as Satan would make this portrait of God easier to swallow, the story demonstrates otherwise; like Yahweh’s messenger in Numbers 22, this satan acts on YHWH’s instructions (and as a result of God’s braggadocio) and is not an independent force of evil.

In Zechariah 3, the prophet describes a vision of the high priest Joshua standing in a similar divine council, also functioning as a tribunal. Before him stand YHWH’s messenger and the satan, who is there to accuse him. This vision is Zechariah’s way of pronouncing YHWH’s approval of Joshua’s appointment to the high priesthood in the face of adversarial community members, represented by the satan. The messenger rebukes the satan and orders that Joshua’s dirty clothing be replaced, as he promises Joshua continuing access to the divine council. Once again, the satan is not Satan who we read about in the New Testament.
hahahahahahhhahhahahhahhhhhahahahhahahhhahhahhhahhhhahhahhahahaahhaahahahahaahahahahhhahhahahahaahahahahhahaha

Wow..........

E

EleventhHour

Shawna Dolansky is Adjunct Research Professor and Instructor in the program in Religion at the College of Humanities, Carleton University in Ottawa, Ontario. She coauthored the well-known The Bible Now (Oxford Univ. Press, 2011) with Richard Friedman.
I would say teaching at Carleton University in the Religion Department is in and of itself enough reason to disregard her ideas.

Lightskin

Aug 16, 2019
I would say teaching at Carleton University in the Religion Department is in and of itself enough reason to disregard her ideas.
I was astonished at the unbelief of many of my seminary professors. It’s not even that they did not believe in the divinity of Jesus, but some of them openly mocked Him and/or the Father.

E

EleventhHour

I was astonished at the unbelief of many of my seminary professors. It’s not even that they did not believe in the divinity of Jesus, but some of them openly mocked Him and/or the Father.
There is an agenda at work and I am pretty sure it is that ole snake who was and is Satan!!;)

Sep 14, 2019
what seminary did you attend?

E

EleventhHour

Wow....this is a published paper, the lack of depth is astounding even within the false narrative.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
I think it helps show people who you are since you are here among us.
You are a late-comer here and now you have started posting heretical ideas. People already know who I am, where I stand, and what I believe. Most of us reject the NONSENSE of theological liberalism.

Had you posted her article and said "Christians don't believe a word from this unbeliever" we would have had no problem. But when you post something without comment, it means you agree and approve of that nonsense.

Mar 28, 2016
In fact, while the word satan appears elsewhere in the Hebrew Bible/Old Testament, it is never a proper name; since there is no devil in ancient Israel’s worldview, there can’t yet have been a proper name for such a creature.
World view has a proper name for spiritual forces. . non sense. No unseen God . God calls the unredeemed fools.

It would seem what was mentioned "it is never a proper name;"above In the next paragraph it changes faces.

The noun satan, Hebrew for “adversary” or “accuser,” occurs nine times in the Hebrew Bible: five times to describe a human military, political or legal opponent, and four times with reference to a divine being. In Numbers 22, the prophet Balaam, hired to curse the Israelites, is stopped by a messenger from Israel’s God YHWH, described as “the satan” acting on God’s behalf.
I would agree with the Number 22analogy. Like Satan, a spirit that has no form putting his word in the mouth of a creature seen. Did God really Say? You could say the Holy Spirit mocking the antichrist in the garden . . a picture of the gospel.

It would seem to reinforce his law in Acts 17 in so much that God is not served by human hands .If He so choses . . he can move a unbeliever to bring the gospel or one who does believe. . He has no needs but satisfies all.

And when the ass saw the angel of the Lord, she fell down under Balaam: and Balaam's anger was kindled, and he smote the ass with a staff. And the Lord opened the mouth of the ass, and she said unto Balaam, What have I done unto thee, that thou hast smitten me these three times?And Balaam said unto the ass, Because thou hast mocked me: I would there were a sword in mine hand, for now would I kill thee. Numbers 22

The principle was established as a ceremonial law .Using a animal called clean as the redeemed believers. And other to represent the unredeemed like a Ass. Used as a beast or burden but not the source of it strength . We do have the power in us giving us a burden but is not of us. In that way he is not served by human hands. But rather by strength of His hand as the will that works in us.

The parable below ...a picture of the gospel .Christ our redeemer.

Exodus 13:12-14 King James Version (KJV) That thou shalt set apart unto the Lord all that openeth the matrix, and every firstling that cometh of a beast which thou hast; the males shall be the Lord's. And every firstling of an ass thou shalt redeem with a lamb; and if thou wilt not redeem it, then thou shalt break his neck: and all the firstborn of man among thy children shalt thou redeem.
And it shall be when thy son asketh thee in time to come, saying, What is this? that thou shalt say unto him, By strength of hand the Lord brought us out from Egypt, from the house of bondage:

If any mouth as a boast could of been attributed to a creature of the field. It would of been of Jesus . Yet he entered in riding on a Ass, a picture of humility in a hope of doing the will of the father, suffering for our sin.

UnoiAmarah

Jul 28, 2017
Explaining the serpent in the Garden of Eden as Satan would have been as foreign a concept to the ancient authors of the text as referring to Ezekiel’s vision as a UFO (but Google “Ezekiel’s vision” now, and you’ll see that plenty of people today have made that connection!).
Are you referring to Ezek 1:23-27

23 And under the firmament were their wings straight, the one toward the other: every one had two, which covered on this side, and every one had two, which covered on that side, their bodies.
24 And when they went, I heard the noise of their wings, like the noise of great waters, as the voice of the Almighty, the voice of speech, as the noise of an host: when they stood, they let down their wings.
25 And there was a voice from the firmament that was over their heads, when they stood, and had let down their wings.
26 And above the firmament that was over their heads was the likeness of a throne, as the appearance of a sapphire stone: and upon the likeness of the throne was the likeness as the appearance of a man above upon it.
27 And I saw as the colour of amber, as the appearance of fire round about within it, from the appearance of his loins even upward, and from the appearance of his loins even downward, I saw as it were the appearance of fire, and it had brightness round about.

I took Ezekiel's vision as something based upon reality instead of a UFO

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
Wow. And you dare to speak for all Bible believing Christians when you are unable to comport yourself as the Bible commands all Bible believing Christians.

((in re: qualifications for an elder))

He must hold firmly to the trustworthy message as it has been taught, so that he can encourage others by sound doctrine and refute those who oppose it.
(Titus 1:9)
per the Bible, it is expected of an elder among the church that he is able to refute false doctrine. that logically entails identifying false doctrine, understanding its premises and explaining what is wrong with them, often with evidences and reason. it also suggests a certain amount of hostility towards false teachings - communicated with gentleness, but nonetheless taking a firm and persistent stance against it.

it's not 'Biblical' to swallow one's tongue when confronted with lies 'for the sake of niceness'