How to come out to family

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
I am Turkish, live in Turkey and am an ex-Muslim. I converted 2 months ago, but have not been able to tell my family and friends, due to the stigma around leaving Islam and Christianity in general. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Aug 10, 2019
Canada
I must admit that when I read the subject line about 'coming out to family' the first thought that sprang to mind was NOT of a Muslim informing family of a conversion to following Christ.

I don't know if this will help, but at a worship service recently our retired pastor who fills in on occasion offered up a meaningful story about a Christian at the base of a mountain with other climbers of different faith backgrounds. One of the climbers remarked that the various paths up the mountain could be used as a metaphor for the different religions....how each climber was looking to get to the same place the same way different faiths look to lead people to God. The Christian then remarked that the Christian view was different, because God came down from the mountain.

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
I am Turkish, live in Turkey and am an ex-Muslim. I converted 2 months ago, but have not been able to tell my family and friends, due to the stigma around leaving Islam and Christianity in general. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Wooooooow praise God..... My personal advice as a new child of God and a sappling, would be to grow in His word... grow in assurance and find your joy and peace in Christ....

Let your walk talk for you at first... dont be offended dont try to offend... Gods word will stand for itself...

First be loving and show His works in you while you grow in knowledge and spiritual maturity....

then as you have learned more and more you will be able to word your testimony in a much more complete way ...

This really is an amazing thing....

Don't let anyone discourage you and trust in the promises of Christ

(not saying to keep anything a secret even for a moment... just dont feel like youre obligated to stand on the kitchen table right away.... i believe they will see Gods works in you and just through your devotions and study will come to learn you are now a Christian)

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
I first want to say that I am in awe of your faith. I am not qualified to give instruction since I have never been good at "coming out, " either.

What I will say is, this community needs you. We need you to teach us. All of us babes in Christ need to understand what it is really like to have such great faith. We need your experiences as you struggle with this. By sharing what you are going through, you will find the answers you are looking for. God will reveal it in His time.

Until then, immerse yourself in God's word. Pray constantly. Stay with this community forum. It has helped me greatly.

Make no mistake, Satan is going to come after you. But Jesus has the final word. Your thoughts are going to be many as you struggle with this. Always remember, a good thought will come from God. A bad thought will come from Satan. When you get a horrible thought in your head, rebuke it early. Say, "Satan, get out of my head, in the name of Jesus" And he will! He'll leave you alone for a little while until he decides to try it again. He's never going to stop bugging you. But as long as you call on the name of the Lord, the enemy has no power over you.

One final thought: no one else on this earth is you. You alone carry this burden. Get ready to be disappointed. I don't say that to discourage you, but to help you realize that you are moving headlong into a spiritual battle until you are taken home. You may be required to take a spiritual "bullet" from time to time. You may even get shot in the back by a fellow Christian! It happens, so you must be ready for every eventuality. Whatever hardships you may be about to face, please always remember, there is an enormous vault of gold with your name on it waiting for you in heaven.

Welcome to the fight, soldier!

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
I must admit that when I read the subject line about 'coming out to family' the first thought that sprang to mind was NOT of a Muslim informing family of a conversion to following Christ.

I don't know if this will help, but at a worship service recently our retired pastor who fills in on occasion offered up a meaningful story about a Christian at the base of a mountain with other climbers of different faith backgrounds. One of the climbers remarked that the various paths up the mountain could be used as a metaphor for the different religions....how each climber was looking to get to the same place the same way different faiths look to lead people to God. The Christian then remarked that the Christian view was different, because God came down from the mountain.
When I re-read the title I realized that the wording may have been a bit off :LOL:. But excuse my English, as it is not my first language.

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
Wooooooow praise God..... My personal advice as a new child of God and a sappling, would be to grow in His word... grow in assurance and find your joy and peace in Christ....

Let your walk talk for you at first... dont be offended dont try to offend... Gods word will stand for itself...

First be loving and show His works in you while you grow in knowledge and spiritual maturity....

then as you have learned more and more you will be able to word your testimony in a much more complete way ...

This really is an amazing thing....

Don't let anyone discourage you and trust in the promises of Christ

(not saying to keep anything a secret even for a moment... just dont feel like youre obligated to stand on the kitchen table right away.... i believe they will see Gods works in you and just through your devotions and study will come to learn you are now a Christian)
Thanks a lot. I really appreciate the kind and insightful words.

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
I first want to say that I am in awe of your faith. I am not qualified to give instruction since I have never been good at "coming out, " either.

What I will say is, this community needs you. We need you to teach us. All of us babes in Christ need to understand what it is really like to have such great faith. We need your experiences as you struggle with this. By sharing what you are going through, you will find the answers you are looking for. God will reveal it in His time.

Until then, immerse yourself in God's word. Pray constantly. Stay with this community forum. It has helped me greatly.

Make no mistake, Satan is going to come after you. But Jesus has the final word. Your thoughts are going to be many as you struggle with this. Always remember, a good thought will come from God. A bad thought will come from Satan. When you get a horrible thought in your head, rebuke it early. Say, "Satan, get out of my head, in the name of Jesus" And he will! He'll leave you alone for a little while until he decides to try it again. He's never going to stop bugging you. But as long as you call on the name of the Lord, the enemy has no power over you.

One final thought: no one else on this earth is you. You alone carry this burden. Get ready to be disappointed. I don't say that to discourage you, but to help you realize that you are moving headlong into a spiritual battle until you are taken home. You may be required to take a spiritual "bullet" from time to time. You may even get shot in the back by a fellow Christian! It happens, so you must be ready for every eventuality. Whatever hardships you may be about to face, please always remember, there is an enormous vault of gold with your name on it waiting for you in heaven.

Welcome to the fight, soldier!
I really appreciate your kind words of encouragement. I have only been on this site for a day so far, but people like you, who I can truly express my beliefs and thoughts have made me extremely happy. Which is something I have struggled to feel in a long time. I know that the tough times shall pass and that my faith in God shall never diminish, but rather only grow stronger. Thank you for the encouragement and God bless you.

Rosemaryx

May 3, 2017
Praise God and thank You Jesus...

May I suggest you look up this man on YouTube...
He went home to be with our LORD two/three years ago , he suffered terrible abuse from his muslim community , he became a speaker and I am sure you will benefit from his sermons...

He even has a vlog which his wife Michelle has taken over , but it shows him in his weakness and clinging to the LORD...
Former Muslim Nabeel Qureshi explains how his search for the truth about Jesus in scripture led to his conversion.

Praise God once again @Friendly_Turk

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
Hello Friendly_Turk, I am very overwhelmed because many thoughts are going through my mind to understand.

How you came to be a christian? That maybe a very long story for you to tell.

My advice would also be to grow firstly to maturity in your faith. And live the life of Christ in your daily walk. Your family will notice a difference in you.

My prayers are with you, brother.

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
Hello Friendly_Turk, I am very overwhelmed because many thoughts are going through my mind to understand.

How you came to be a christian? That maybe a very long story for you to tell.

My advice would also be to grow firstly to maturity in your faith. And live the life of Christ in your daily walk. Your family will notice a difference in you.

My prayers are with you, brother.
Hi 3angelsmsg, I had been a moderate Muslim my whole life until approximately 1,5 years. I was In the subway waiting for my train when a lady came up to me and proceeded to hand me a bible (Turkish translation). At first I was a little taken back, as it is extremely uncommon for something like this to happen where I live. I watched the lady try to give others the Bible and get told off or completely ignored. On the train ride back home I skimmed through the Bible. It was the first time that I had read a bible before and I was intrigued. I proceeded to read parts of the Bible in my spare time. Slowly I began to question Islam and it’s teachings and grew more interested in Christianity and its teachings. One day while reading the Bible I decided to try and pray to the lord but didn’t know how to. Thus, I asked him; Lord Show me how. I was not very optimistic and decided to continue reading. The very next page I turned to, I was greeted with Matthew 6:9-13. That was the point where I started seriously considering my beliefs. Long story short, after over one year of reading the Bible (in English), comparing and understanding I finally welcomed Jesus into my heart and became an evangelical Protestant, which brings us to the present day. As stated in the original post, I am struggling with opening up to my family and friends in fear that they will judge me and shun me away. I love them all very much and do not want this to happen, but need people to talk to at the same time about my beliefs. This is the main reason why I joined this site. So far I have gotten so much encouragement from the beautiful people of this site and feel included within their community.
I appreciate your advise and will make sure to follow it.
God bless you

M

MegMarch

First, praise God for your salvation.

I faced some opposition from my family when I became a believer. Telling my family was one of the most difficult things I have ever done as I knew they would not receive it well. It did create some conflict initially and for a period of time.

I have two thoughts about what you might be experiencing that I hope will help.

1. Meditate on God's Word often to give you peace in the midst of turmoil and empower you to face whatever opposition that may come. I read the following verse many times after I initially converted to Christianity:

Matthew 19:29 ESV

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.

2. Reach out to other believers for prayer and support like you are doing on here.

It is simple advice but effective nonetheless. Best and blessings to you!

OneOfHis

Mar 24, 2019
Hi 3angelsmsg, I had been a moderate Muslim my whole life until approximately 1,5 years. I was In the subway waiting for my train when a lady came up to me and proceeded to hand me a bible (Turkish translation). At first I was a little taken back, as it is extremely uncommon for something like this to happen where I live. I watched the lady try to give others the Bible and get told off or completely ignored. On the train ride back home I skimmed through the Bible. It was the first time that I had read a bible before and I was intrigued. I proceeded to read parts of the Bible in my spare time. Slowly I began to question Islam and it’s teachings and grew more interested in Christianity and its teachings. One day while reading the Bible I decided to try and pray to the lord but didn’t know how to. Thus, I asked him; Lord Show me how. I was not very optimistic and decided to continue reading. The very next page I turned to, I was greeted with Matthew 6:9-13. That was the point where I started seriously considering my beliefs. Long story short, after over one year of reading the Bible (in English), comparing and understanding I finally welcomed Jesus into my heart and became an evangelical Protestant, which brings us to the present day. As stated in the original post, I am struggling with opening up to my family and friends in fear that they will judge me and shun me away. I love them all very much and do not want this to happen, but need people to talk to at the same time about my beliefs. This is the main reason why I joined this site. So far I have gotten so much encouragement from the beautiful people of this site and feel included within their community.
I appreciate your advise and will make sure to follow it.
God bless you
Amen!
I love this....
He really reaches us in the most amazing ways from anywhere.😁

God is wonderful.

Sounds to me like you have an amazing opportunity to let His love shine through you and plant some seeds of truth in His perfect time.

Don't feel like you are responsible for how they respond to the good news when you tell them.... and don't force them to listen to answers if they don't ask the questions....

Just do your best and give all glory to God for everything good and give thanks for your blessings and share what God provides be it time or energy or resources or truth... if you mess up just get up and keep marchin after Him who loved you first...

You are in the best position possible... right in Gods hands. (no matter who on earth may come against you)

God bless you

(i also did not grow up as a Christian and was called out of my old life what felt like out of nowhere but now seems like at the perfect time😁)

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
Praise be to God that He revealed His Son to you and you responded. You have gone from death to life and now have forgiveness of sins and the promise of eternal life. Regarding this Jesus said,

"Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven." (Matthew 10:32)

And

"If you confess with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord and believe in your heart that God the Father raised Him from the dead, you will be saved."

Your situation, living in a place that is predominately Muslim, is more pressing than believers who live in countries where there is still freedom of faith. I'm sure that, along with myself, that many here will keep you in prayer regarding your situation.

As some have already posted here, which is good advice, is to study the word of God and pray always. These two will keep you close to the Lord. Now through Christ, you have been credited with His righteousness and have been reconciled to God through faith. Therefore, no matter what you face because of your faith, His word says:

================================================================
Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or distress or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword? As it is written:

“For Your sake we face death all day long;

we are considered as sheep to be slaughtered.”

No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through Him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor principalities, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:35-39)
================================================================

We'll be praying for you.

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
First, praise God for your salvation.

I faced some opposition from my family when I became a believer. Telling my family was one of the most difficult things I have ever done as I knew they would not receive it well. It did create some conflict initially and for a period of time.

I have two thoughts about what you might be experiencing that I hope will help.

1. Meditate on God's Word often to give you peace in the midst of turmoil and empower you to face whatever opposition that may come. I read the following verse many times after I initially converted to Christianity:

Matthew 19:29 ESV

And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or lands, for my name’s sake, will receive a hundredfold and will inherit eternal life.

2. Reach out to other believers for prayer and support like you are doing on here.

It is simple advice but effective nonetheless. Best and blessings to you!
I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Matthew 19:29 is actually one of my favorite verses :). God bless you

3angelsmsg

Mar 1, 2018
I appreciate the kind words and encouragement. Matthew 19:29 is actually one of my favorite verses :). God bless you
Hello Friendly_Turk,
Romans 8:35-39
It has such significance for us and has a twofold application. For all the christians living in the past, currently and the where God will keep alive the 144000 during the great tribulation.

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
Hello. I am American ex-Muslim who became Christian.

Everyone's family will react differently, and you have to decide the best method for your family. Some people hide their faith for years, depending on their situation. Others don't.

When your still young in your faith, there's no need to tell them if you don't have to, especially if your family is not strict and your not expected to go to the masjid.

At some point it may come up regardless and then you will have to decide what is best for you. Turkey has church groups because there are, I have heard, many converts among the refugees so it does appear you can be baptised and be around other Christians for worship with some research.

Family really depends on what yours is like. Some families don't care, others get angry, other times your main concern is community.

So I would just suggest being very firm in the faith first, and then be realistic about what the problems will be before you tell them.. be prepared for the unexpected either way, and be prepared to give an account of your Christian faith, to explain why you believe it is the Truth.

Do seek out other converts near you. They can be a great source of support for you.

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
Hello. I am American ex-Muslim who became Christian.

Everyone's family will react differently, and you have to decide the best method for your family. Some people hide their faith for years, depending on their situation. Others don't.

When your still young in your faith, there's no need to tell them if you don't have to, especially if your family is not strict and your not expected to go to the masjid.

At some point it may come up regardless and then you will have to decide what is best for you. Turkey has church groups because there are, I have heard, many converts among the refugees so it does appear you can be baptised and be around other Christians for worship with some research.

Family really depends on what yours is like. Some families don't care, others get angry, other times your main concern is community.

So I would just suggest being very firm in the faith first, and then be realistic about what the problems will be before you tell them.. be prepared for the unexpected either way, and be prepared to give an account of your Christian faith, to explain why you believe it is the Truth.

Do seek out other converts near you. They can be a great source of support for you.
Great advice, thank you! I shall aim to seek out other converts and churches near me. God bless you

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I converted to Christianity when i was in my early 20's.. Not from islam so i am not the same as you.. My Advice would be for you to get very knowledgeable about Christianity by reading the Bible and also get well read in Christian objections to the teachings of islam.. Because from experience you may only get one change to have a conversation with a family member about this so you want to be as knowledgeable as you can be when you decide to have this talk with a family member..

Also i would talk to your family members one at a time if you can.. Try and take them somewhere away from other members so that it can be a One on One discussion..

If you believe your life will be in danger by revealing your decision to Believe The LORD Jesus Christ then it would be best to try and have an avenue to escape your family.. You may or may not know that in the quran there is a verse which calls for the death of anyone who changes their religion.. I am sure you probably know this already..

Anyway you are there in your situation and you probably know if your family is serious about islam or if they are not devout muslims.. So only you can really assess the situation and decide what to do.. I do encourage you to ask God to guide you in what ever you do and ask for His protection..

I am sure there will be people here who will be asking God for your protection and for God to guide you into great wisdom.. :)

It is always a great joy for me to read about someone who has escaped deception and is coming to Salvation :D great to have you aboard CC..

Hazelelponi

Jul 8, 2019
USA
Great advice, thank you! I shall aim to seek out other converts and churches near me. God bless you

God bless you as well. If you ever want to talk feel free to contact me.

This is a joyous time for you, praise be to God. :)

Jan 14, 2020
Turkey
I converted to Christianity when i was in my early 20's.. Not from islam so i am not the same as you.. My Advice would be for you to get very knowledgeable about Christianity by reading the Bible and also get well read in Christian objections to the teachings of islam.. Because from experience you may only get one change to have a conversation with a family member about this so you want to be as knowledgeable as you can be when you decide to have this talk with a family member..

Also i would talk to your family members one at a time if you can.. Try and take them somewhere away from other members so that it can be a One on One discussion..

If you believe your life will be in danger by revealing your decision to Believe The LORD Jesus Christ then it would be best to try and have an avenue to escape your family.. You may or may not know that in the quran there is a verse which calls for the death of anyone who changes their religion.. I am sure you probably know this already..

Anyway you are there in your situation and you probably know if your family is serious about islam or if they are not devout muslims.. So only you can really assess the situation and decide what to do.. I do encourage you to ask God to guide you in what ever you do and ask for His protection..

I am sure there will be people here who will be asking God for your protection and for God to guide you into great wisdom.. :)

It is always a great joy for me to read about someone who has escaped deception and is coming to Salvation :D great to have you aboard CC..
Thankfully my life is not in danger, but it is highly likely that I will be judged and pushed away from my family and friends. Thank you for the advice. I will make sure to talk to them individually and begin with the most understanding people. I feel very welcomed and am glad to be a part of this community, as I have not received anything other than great advise and support on CC. God bless you