T
toinena
Guest
People are different, and we all react differently when facing some of life's trials.
I have met many with disabilities over the years, and I guess every single person has to find his or her own way of dealing with it.
Some deal with it with pride. They say that the problem is not in the disability but the society. That in it self might be true. A society that keeps people out because of lack of accessibility is discriminating a group that has not chosen to be physically impaired. But to say that I am better or have more rights and go in pride parades is prideful and just trying to copy the civil rights, feminist or LGBT movement, and for me it is just wrong. I can't be proud of my disability, because I know it is not from God. To say that we should embrace a multitude of abilities and disabilities is great. I am totally against Euthanasia and selected abortion. But disabilities are still a part of the fallen nature of this world and not from God. That God can use people with disabilities is beyond question. He can use the most broken vessel for his treasure and to his glory.
Some think they know it all. That because of their suffering, they have some kind of moral superiority to others. This is also a prideful attitude and frankly we have no more monopoly to the truth than an other human. The truth is in Christ. And we see only parts and bits of it when we live here on Earth. We can draw nearer to Christ, but still we will never know the whole truth.
Some think because of their suffering, they are entitled to everything and doing nothing. This is some kind of taught helplessness that I have seen many have. And some of these are both spoiled and rude to other people. To live a life when you are not accountable for your own life and actions may lead to this condition. They have only their own need in mind, and forget other people in need.
Some think they are special. They are so good at the things they are doing despite their disability. They think their job here in life is to inspire and to just be their own magnificent them, without taking responsibility to others or not either for themselves.
Some people are their illness. It is their full time occupation. Their whole life is to be disabled and sick. They work on keeping their mobility,finding the best aid, reading about the illness, being with other people that talks about the same illness or disability you yourself is having.
Some are bitter at the world. Why me? Self pitying is a natural thing when you are in that situation, but does it bare fruit?
Some people ignore their disability and try to live their life as they were not disabled. If it is wise, I am not sure, but that is how I try to live my every day life. It works as long as it doesn't catch up with you. And it really hurts when you lie there on the floor. Not physically so much as it does emotionally. Perhaps that is some pride hidden in that, too? At least it is very humbling to lie there on the floor unable to get up.
I am not sure what is the right Christian way. I pray that God will give me the ability to do the job He has set for me. If that means I am stuck in my body and disability, that is fine, but I am trusting Him to give me the means to do His will. Of course I would love to be healed. It would be such a glorious thing, and God would truly show his almighty nature doing so. Believing in healing and accepting my own disability is sometimes very frustrating, and I know being frustrated is not a very humble and Christian thing to be. In the end I can only do one thing. Lean on Him. Trust in Him. Serve Him with the body, heart and mind I have got. What else can I do?
I have met many with disabilities over the years, and I guess every single person has to find his or her own way of dealing with it.
Some deal with it with pride. They say that the problem is not in the disability but the society. That in it self might be true. A society that keeps people out because of lack of accessibility is discriminating a group that has not chosen to be physically impaired. But to say that I am better or have more rights and go in pride parades is prideful and just trying to copy the civil rights, feminist or LGBT movement, and for me it is just wrong. I can't be proud of my disability, because I know it is not from God. To say that we should embrace a multitude of abilities and disabilities is great. I am totally against Euthanasia and selected abortion. But disabilities are still a part of the fallen nature of this world and not from God. That God can use people with disabilities is beyond question. He can use the most broken vessel for his treasure and to his glory.
Some think they know it all. That because of their suffering, they have some kind of moral superiority to others. This is also a prideful attitude and frankly we have no more monopoly to the truth than an other human. The truth is in Christ. And we see only parts and bits of it when we live here on Earth. We can draw nearer to Christ, but still we will never know the whole truth.
Some think because of their suffering, they are entitled to everything and doing nothing. This is some kind of taught helplessness that I have seen many have. And some of these are both spoiled and rude to other people. To live a life when you are not accountable for your own life and actions may lead to this condition. They have only their own need in mind, and forget other people in need.
Some think they are special. They are so good at the things they are doing despite their disability. They think their job here in life is to inspire and to just be their own magnificent them, without taking responsibility to others or not either for themselves.
Some people are their illness. It is their full time occupation. Their whole life is to be disabled and sick. They work on keeping their mobility,finding the best aid, reading about the illness, being with other people that talks about the same illness or disability you yourself is having.
Some are bitter at the world. Why me? Self pitying is a natural thing when you are in that situation, but does it bare fruit?
Some people ignore their disability and try to live their life as they were not disabled. If it is wise, I am not sure, but that is how I try to live my every day life. It works as long as it doesn't catch up with you. And it really hurts when you lie there on the floor. Not physically so much as it does emotionally. Perhaps that is some pride hidden in that, too? At least it is very humbling to lie there on the floor unable to get up.
I am not sure what is the right Christian way. I pray that God will give me the ability to do the job He has set for me. If that means I am stuck in my body and disability, that is fine, but I am trusting Him to give me the means to do His will. Of course I would love to be healed. It would be such a glorious thing, and God would truly show his almighty nature doing so. Believing in healing and accepting my own disability is sometimes very frustrating, and I know being frustrated is not a very humble and Christian thing to be. In the end I can only do one thing. Lean on Him. Trust in Him. Serve Him with the body, heart and mind I have got. What else can I do?