How to Drive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
is that one of those insurance things you plug into the car?

i used to drive a company van with one. it would beep really loud for every violation, and my regional manager would get emails about every beep. i was always very cautious in that van, often angering other drivers around me - and proud to have never made it beep at me in almost a whole month since the van had been assigned to me. one morning i stopped for a deer & her family, which i saw from a long way off and slowed down very gradually for. the family had a few more deer than i thought and when i got near, only going about 20mph, another jumped out of some thickets, and i came to a complete stop. BEEEEP!!
and i got a call about it later at work. it seemed very wrong to me that the blindly legalistic insurance algorithm would apparently rather have me hit the deer than the brakes. i seriously didn't think i had hit the brakes hard.

i do agree, tho, those things have their use, for making you think a lot more about how you're handling the car.
Yeah it's for insurance for the company. I work pizza delivery atm and apparently that's becoming SOP. If you go 20 over you get fired. If you get sub 85 scores over a few weeks you get fired. It's averaged though so you could at least have 1 low score and avg with higher ones.

I saw one guy start and he got a 79 and didn't speed AT ALL. Was impressive.

It gets annoying with braking. I think that's definitely the only thing that shouldn't count. I mean it's smarter to slow brake, better on your car, better with timing lights and using less gas also, but those unexpected situations cannot be predicted.

Kids/Deer/random pullouts.

Commercially it's understandable that they probably have a window of error. Pizza places is reasonably lenient. I presume that is true for most of them. I had to dig to find the info though.

No way AT ALL I'd take a policy like that for personal insurance. Have heard they do have them. It's a win win for the insurance company. They get a break, and if you fail, your premiums go up.

It's funny though. I had my passenger driving and my solo driving. Now it's all mostly passenger driving...as in making sure they have the smoothest ride possible :p

Jun 10, 2019
I wouldn’t want to be in this traffic jam, man that’s a lot of lanes into a bottle neck and the smog gees.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
we have 4 or 5 lanes here in L.A.. Are you referring to some type of velocity lane?
There's 7 or 8 in downtown (depending if you count the exit only lanes) on I-75

HOV lane on far left which some people think is a speeding lane. A "fast lane" that some people think is an HOV passing lane...

I haven't been to LA since I was 11 and Idr it being as bad. Nor in Orlando.

But yeah I-285. The bypass that technically runs from 85 back to 85 produces some very odd tendencies. It's like...oh we are going in a circle? Drive faster to make up time.

They even changed the speed limit from 55mph to 65mph in a few places and it hasn't changed much.

The variable speeds in different lanes on 285 would make a pretty cool research study.

You have the 85MPH lane, the 75-80 lane, the 65-75 lane, the truck lanes...and then the weavers.

Bumper to bumper in exit lanes usually. Merging into flowing traffic is "jarring" to say the least.

atl.jpg

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I drove from SF to San Diego on vacation a few years back.....spent almost a month touring Cali.......the worst ever.....traffic in L.A........wow......the first and last time I drive there...........
LOL, It's where I learned to drive...like throwing a puppy into a tank of Piranhas. lol.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
There's 7 or 8 in downtown (depending if you count the exit only lanes) on I-75

HOV lane on far left which some people think is a speeding lane. A "fast lane" that some people think is an HOV passing lane...

I haven't been to LA since I was 11 and Idr it being as bad. Nor in Orlando.

But yeah I-285. The bypass that technically runs from 85 back to 85 produces some very odd tendencies. It's like...oh we are going in a circle? Drive faster to make up time.

They even changed the speed limit from 55mph to 65mph in a few places and it hasn't changed much.

The variable speeds in different lanes on 285 would make a pretty cool research study.

You have the 85MPH lane, the 75-80 lane, the 65-75 lane, the truck lanes...and then the weavers.

Bumper to bumper in exit lanes usually. Merging into flowing traffic is "jarring" to say the least.
I wish the U.S. drivers would display the same driving smarts Europe has, where you stay in the right lane except for passing. It would cut down the need for some of these 6-16 lane highway/freeways. lol

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
a still image like this could be gridlock or could be everyone going 75+ mph

hard to tell without video, but.. no brakelights on the right, yet the lanes are all still packed.

WPIMAGE_cmgajccommuting_7689.jpg

i don't live in ATL but i've been there plenty of times. people say the loop around Washington DC is scary, but i don't think it's much of a comparison.

Jun 10, 2019
The Magic Roundabout in Swindon, England might have worked in 72 in England but try putting one of these in America turn into accident city. I don’t see how it works it’s confusing.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
I wish the U.S. drivers would display the same driving smarts Europe has, where you stay in the right lane except for passing. It would cut down the need for some of these 6-16 lane highway/freeways. lol
yes

i work with a lot of Europeans - they complain often about that, and also about tailgating, which they say is far different than the way people drive where they are from. apparently us great Americans are extremely discourteous to others. whodathunk lol

Jun 10, 2019
a still image like this could be gridlock or could be everyone going 75+ mph

hard to tell without video, but.. no brakelights on the right, yet the lanes are all still packed.

View attachment 203187

i don't live in ATL but i've been there plenty of times. people say the loop around Washington DC is scary, but i don't think it's much of a comparison.
No doubt I’ve rolled in a rolling gridlock of cars doing 65, if you need to hit an exit you better be in the lane near it or you not going to make it, hehehe.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
No doubt I’ve rolled in a rolling gridlock of cars doing 65, if you need to hit an exit you better be in the lane near it or you not going to make it, hehehe.
If you ever saw the Mr. Walker/Mr. Wheeler cartoon, (I believe it is on YouTube still) well...Mr. Wheeler here LOL.

Mii

Mar 23, 2019
Or if people kept more space between them and the car in front. There would be far less traffic...

Also if anyone is interested. Basically this is a traffic flow video based off 4 lane intersections. Was a share a year or so ago...I throughly enjoyed it toward the end :p

ofc the biggest issue with new traffic flow methods is drivers not being used to it and colliding. It seems we may be at an impasse.

I was driving steady down a road I hadn't been down in years and almost panicked when I hit a new roundabout in the middle of the night.

ATL also has a Spaghetti junction.

Jun 10, 2019
If you ever saw the Mr. Walker/Mr. Wheeler cartoon, (I believe it is on YouTube still) well...Mr. Wheeler here LOL.
Can’t be as bad as this guy, and I’ve seen something similar like this on the highway, who keeps going is beyond me.

Jun 10, 2019
The highway through the building in Japan because the land owner wouldnt sale is to funny.
but all these are crazy looking.

Jun 10, 2019
And sorry HOV lanes doesn’t work in my neck of the woods.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
ofc the biggest issue with new traffic flow methods is drivers not being used to it and colliding. It seems we may be at an impasse.
If all else fails do the London thing and drive on the wrong side of the road. hehe

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Something is askew with this picture.
How is it that the interstate is 'bumper-to-bumper' yet some are going at speeds at excess of 85?
I guess we have a different definition of 'bumper-to-bumper' LOL.
In So. Ca, bumper-to-bumper means 5-20mph.
In Florida it means that the interstates are now a parking lot.