How to embrace this new interface....

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
A feature I really like is that it informs you in your notifications when someone quotes you and responds to you in a thread. This has been requested for a long time. Very happy about that.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Hey Magenta, I thought you were on my friends list. Looking just now I guess you aren't. We should be friends. What do you think?

I agree! :) How do we do that now? :unsure:

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I was just as surprised as the rest of you this morning, probably more so since this means a whole new site worth of Admin controls to learn.
It took me two hours to figure out how to activate all (I think) the permissions that I had on the old site so I can actually do my job.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
A feature I really like is that it informs you in your notifications when someone quotes you and responds to you in a thread. This has been requested for a long time. Very happy about that.
Some of these features just weren't available on the old platform.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I do not like this new format
I do not like it, says the cat
I do not like the new layout
My reps are gone, what's that about?
I can't to to the last post on a thread
I keep going to the first page instead
(That just won't work in the looooooong Streams thread)
I just can't get this through my head
The old layout seemed good enough
What's with this newfangled stuff?

But I haven't paid a single dime
So complaining's just a waste of time
I'll learn again, as I always do
How to use yet another thing that's new

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I can't to to the last post on a thread
I keep going to the first page instead
Click the "mark read" tab at the upper right corner. It will update all threads in that forum to a "read" status and from that point forward when you click on a thread it will take you to the first unread post in that thread. After seven years of being on staff using the old vBulletin platform I've spent the better part of this evening figuring out how to do what I've been doing for years. It's just a learning curve that will take us all a few days to adapt to.

JesusLives

Oct 11, 2013
It took me two hours to figure out how to activate all (I think) the permissions that I had on the old site so I can actually do my job.

Change is always hard I have listened to Tourist all day with his disgruntledment yes, making up my own words here... We all will just have to learn which new buttons to push while trying to not get our own buttons pushed to the new ANGER icon which I have to say I do like the new emotion icons. At least one new positive....

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Click the "mark read" tab at the upper right corner. It will update all threads in that forum to a "read" status and from that point forward when you click on a thread it will take you to the first unread post in that thread. After seven years of being on staff using the old vBulletin platform I've spent the better part of this evening figuring out how to do what I've been doing for years. It's just a learning curve that will take us all a few days to adapt to.
I have had no trouble getting to the last post of any thread... on the far right hand side across from the thread title, it says who made the last post and when... if it was really recent, it says "a moment ago", click that or the time stamp, and it takes you to that last post :)

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
I have had no trouble getting to the last post of any thread... on the far right hand side across from the thread title, it says who made the last post and when... if it was really recent, it says "a moment ago", click that or the time stamp, and it takes you to that last post :)
I'm pretty sure that Lynx was talking about the fact that with the migration the site lost track of what was the last post read by each user thus forcing persons to search through each thread to find the last post they had read (not the last post in the thread). Once you have read the current last post in a thread the site will automatically take you to the first unread post in that thread when you return to it..

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I'm pretty sure that Lynx was talking about the fact that with the migration the site lost track of what was the last post read by each user thus forcing persons to search through each thread to find the last post they had read (not the last post in the thread). Once you have read the current last post in a thread the site will automatically take you to the first unread post in that thread when you return to it..
Ooooohhhhhhhhhhhh :p How did the site ever know the last post you had read? o_O

Adstar

Jul 24, 2016
I do like the brighter and bigger format..

But the very best thing now is you know when people have quoted your post (y).. That is a huge improvement on the old format.. :)

T

toinena

When I first opened CC today and thought I’d gotten the wrong site, I was pretty thrown off. It’s definitely a bit wonky trying to figure it out on my tiny phone screen, but I’m getting the hang of it. Maybe.

I also like the different reactions for posts now- I know people have wanted more options there for quite a while.

And do we get a bigger window to edit or delete a post, or am I imagining things?
Yes. I have understood that you can delete and edit posts for a longer periode. I think Littlemermaid said she had edited a post after 3 hours.

I agree, this is a huge improvement.

T

toinena

I like it so far...I just hope we don't lose some friends on here. I know there are a few that are a bit overwhelmed by the changes.
I like the look of it. It's much cleaner and it looks attractive...very modern. :)
I totally agree. It is like timetravelling from late 90s to 2018. It is fresh and easy to navigate in when you get used to it.

I wonder if this works for visually impaired users, so they can navigate this page better than the pervious one.