How To Find a Spiritual Mentor in Your Church

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Do you realize this type of attitude (which is very prevalent here in the US- and not just among the youth) of "I can do what I want and not care" is a very self centered, rebellious attitude. And do you realize what scripture likens rebellion to?
Perhaps you're right. But the point I was trying to make was that here in the US, we are not bound by mob opinion. I suppose I could have been kinder in expressing that point of view.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
Revenge? Revenge for what? You haven't even done anything to me. How could I take revenge for nothing?
It's a typical atheist tactic to "come to the rescue" of a fellow community participant. It's a sort of gang mentality. Few Christians use it other than the very immature. That was my point.

You blast into this forum and start slinging wild accusations.
No, that's false. I started a thread with the title: How To Find a Spiritual Mentor in Your Church.

I'm pretty sure that few people responding to it have actually read it all the way through. Simply skimming through someone's post and taking stuff out of context so they can berate it is prideful and arrogant -- qualities most women find unattractive.

You have been here since 2018 but you have little interaction with us here in this forum.
I didn't know I needed permission from you or anyone else to be here.

We don't know anything about you, so we have no reason to take your accusations seriously.
I know nothing about you either, so I guess we're even. I'm not accusing anyone of anything. I'm just going by the words you're using on the page. Here let me quote you again:

Also you misspelled "Cynical."

Also there was nothing "Vitriolic" in what seekingthemindofchrist said. " Idiotic," "Stupid," "Childish" are all your opinions, hence debatable, but "Vitriolic" is objectively wrong.

Also you misspelled "Moronic." Which I find moderately amusing.
What's next? Are you going to attack my age, race, and weight?

We don't know anything about you, so we have no reason to take your accusations seriously.
I don't need to fill out a credit app and pass a background check in order to post here. If you don't like what I write, you don't have to read it. But attacking everyone and anything all the time on this site is counter to what Jesus taught:

I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak, for by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned.” Matt. 12:36-37

Now if you stick around, talk to people for a while, let us get a good sense of what kind of person you are
Or, I could open your profile, hit the ignore button, and continue interacting with the adults on this site.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
For those just joining the thread, the topic is how to find a spiritual mentor in your church. What are your thoughts, and have you found someone to come alongside you in your walk with Christ?

Thoughtful responses related to the topic are always welcome. Thanks.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I think you pray for one
Small groups are good to join of not more than 10-12 participants.
I have had many spiritual mentors/teachers generally in smaller churches with an older population.
pastors are often too busy overseeing everyone to be one-on-one. They may be doing ministry and ask you to join and work with them on a project, it could be anything - knitting, sewing, or reaching out in the community, helping in schools, foodbank, meals, prisons, etc.

With men it could be working on cars or in the shed or something thats a practical help in the community that requires a bit of grunt lol

As long as they make some time for prayer as this helps each other grow

The only thing you must realise is that they are not perfect and would have made mistakes but see they gained wisdom because of it. Don't put anyone on a pedestal. If they have time for you that is great as time is very precious. I found the problem with older people is possibly the demands on their time, but if you doing something regularly, weekly or fortnightly thats time to bond.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
It's a typical atheist tactic to "come to the rescue" of a fellow community participant. It's a sort of gang mentality. Few Christians use it other than the very immature. That was my point.
Ooooh, now I'm an atheist too? Guess I'll have to update my resume again...

You really resort to calling me an atheist, just because I disagreed with you about something? Really?!

Or, I could open your profile, hit the ignore button, and continue interacting with the adults on this site.
Another one bites the dust
And another one's gone
Another one's gone

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
For those just joining the thread, the topic is how to find a spiritual mentor in your church. What are your thoughts, and have you found someone to come alongside you in your walk with Christ?

Thoughtful responses related to the topic are always welcome. Thanks.
Thoughtful response about mentors...

You sure need one.
But I really hope you ain't one.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
I think you pray for one
It sometimes takes a while, but yes, I agree.

Small groups are good to join of not more than 10-12 participants.
Yeah, I think this is our best option for discipleship in 2023.

I have had many spiritual mentors/teachers generally in smaller churches with an older population.
That's great. Did you get together with them in the church or in homes, or both?

pastors are often too busy overseeing everyone to be one-on-one. They may be doing ministry and ask you to join and work with them on a project, it could be anything - knitting, sewing, or reaching out in the community, helping in schools, foodbank, meals, prisons, etc.
In a group environment, that's really good.

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
No one needs a spiritual mentor. Just find people who are good teachers and listen to them. Asking someone to be your mentor just creates unnecessary pressure. Being a Christian is an organic process not a mechanical one.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
No one needs a spiritual mentor. Just find people who are good teachers and listen to them. Asking someone to be your mentor just creates unnecessary pressure. Being a Christian is an organic process not a mechanical one.
But... But... But that takes all the pomp and circumstance out of it! :p

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
No one needs a spiritual mentor.
I disagree. Peter needed lots of mentoring from Jesus before becoming a great apostle. I think we can all relate to Peter since he often put his foot in his mouth, as most of us do.

If what you say is true, then we could forgo the church experience altogether. There are plenty of YouTube videos from excellent pastors on a myriad of subjects.

We would no longer need church buildings since the main reason for their existence is to gather together and listen to a sermon. We would no longer have to hire professional pastors and staff, which would save a lot of money. As a result, our tithes would go directly to feeding the poor and taking care of the most vulnerable (unfortunately, it's the government that has stepped into this role).

I don't want to sound like I'm disparaging the local church, but without any sort of mentoring or discipleship, young people are going to find it here instead:

• Cults like the JWs and Mormon church
  • Paganism and witchcraft
  • Unitarianism
  • Transgender ideology
  • Humanism
  • Name any other "ism"

In a world of increasing automation and zero customer service, people are looking for connections. The most immature in our society are turning to substance abuse at an alarming rate. And while these people are difficult to deal with -- as Peter was -- they need mature Christians to help them make the right choices.

People are hurting, but we shouldn't be telling them that God will wave a magic wand and make their lives better if they follow Jesus.
Instead, we should be teaching and mentoring them on how to show the grace of Christ, even if their lives are not what they'd hoped for.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
I disagree. Peter needed lots of mentoring from Jesus before becoming a great apostle. I think we can all relate to Peter since he often put his foot in his mouth, as most of us do.

If what you say is true, then we could forgo the church experience altogether. There are plenty of YouTube videos from excellent pastors on a myriad of subjects.

We would no longer need church buildings since the main reason for their existence is to gather together and listen to a sermon. We would no longer have to hire professional pastors and staff, which would save a lot of money. As a result, our tithes would go directly to feeding the poor and taking care of the most vulnerable (unfortunately, it's the government that has stepped into this role).

I don't want to sound like I'm disparaging the local church, but without any sort of mentoring or discipleship, young people are going to find it here instead:

• Unitarianism
  • Transgender ideology
  • Humanism
  • Name any other "ism"

In a world of increasing automation and zero customer service, people are looking for connections. The most immature in our society are turning to substance abuse at an alarming rate. And while these people are difficult to deal with -- as Peter was -- they need mature Christians to help them make the right choices.

People are hurting, but we shouldn't be telling them that God will wave a magic wand and make their lives better if they follow Jesus.
Instead, we should be teaching and mentoring them on how to show the grace of Christ, even if their lives are not what they'd hoped for.
He he!

You are rhetorically telling ResidentAlien that we don't need to go to church?

He he heeeeee!

Of all the people on the forum you could have said this to...

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021

• Unitarianism
  • Transgender ideology
  • Humanism
  • Name any other "ism"

You're making a lot of wild exaggerations. I never said there wasn't a need for discipleship; I said there's no need for personal mentors. And I said it should be an organic process, not a mechanical one. The local church isn't going away, nor will we be overtaken by cults simply because I don't approach someone and say hey, will you be my mentor. Where is it recorded in scripture that Peter approached Jesus and asked Him to be his personal mentor? He didn't; he just followed Him and learned from Him.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
The only thing you must realise is that they are not perfect and would have made mistakes but see they gained wisdom because of it. Don't put anyone on a pedestal.
No. I want to follow the first two Commandments here, of course.

But you make a great case for mentorship here. The fact that these wonderful people have gone through many trials in their lives and are still faithful is a great example to follow. They could show the immature Christians what they did to get there and correct them when they go off track.

SteveEpperson

May 12, 2018
I never said there wasn't a need for discipleship; I said there's no need for personal mentors.
What is the difference between the two in your estimation?

And I said it should be an organic process, not a mechanical one.
Okay. Maybe you could explain further what you mean here.

The local church isn't going away, nor will we be overtaken by cults simply because I don't approach someone and say hey, will you be my mentor.
It sounds like you are rejecting the idea of asking to be mentored more than anything. So, maybe you can elaborate on that idea, just so I am clear.

Where is it recorded in scripture that Peter approached Jesus and asked Him to be his personal mentor? He didn't; he just followed Him and learned from Him.
So, is the type of close discipleship Jesus offered valid in 2023? If so, who should be the leader in this? Who should do the "discipling?"

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I dont learn anything from you tube videos.
The only thing they are good for is karaoke lol
Unless you really want to make you tube videos yourself. You will need to install an ad blocker though.

most older people say 'lets go for coffee' except I hate sitting round talking over coffee. Coffee is the christian friends equivalent to beer. All it is an excuse for christians to gossip. Whatever happened to miraculous loaves and fishes and feeding of the five thousand? Now thats something I can get behind rather than keeping a barista/hipster employed and slaves on coffee plantations.