How to find gods calling for your life

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Dec 2, 2019
Hello all, could anyone provide scripture on how to find gods calling for your life

I thought he wanted me to become a doctor and was on a supernatural trajectory for the first six years until my father died on my first week of medical school.

I withdrew from the program and restarted medicine in a new country. I am 14 months from graduation but I wonder, was he trying to send me a message to stop this calling or do something else

I believe I will only be happy when I am in the field working as a medical missionary abroad ... this fills me with joy and supernatural energy ... is this right or is this just my desire to do good so I feel worthy of being loved? Is this self serving and was I wrong the whole time? Where to go from here?

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
God takes us as we are. Unless He remolds your ways, your possible career, and personal life, you should continue with whatever is your strongesst interesst asking for His constant blessing and guidance. He is there for you, for me, and for all. He does not need our suggestions or help, but I am certain He loves it when we ask Him to bless the work of our hands in His holy Sight and Will. I believe you should be in medical practice, be it as a missionary or simply a regular doctor. You will be in a position to share your grace either way. God bless you, and keep us all posted on your endeavour..j

Mpopi

Nov 29, 2019
It was when I attended those bible discussion in church and very few people attended them, when I found out what God called me for. I felt strongly everyday that I must study law, eventually I enrolled for a law degree at a university, during my first exams when I was studying and preparing to write, many bible verses were explained, mind you I'm studying a law book for exam, I was amazed I could not understand what was happening, but as time went by I understood that I'm at the right place and this is just a confirmation.

M

morefaithrequired

Just on the topic of spiritual discernment and help choosing our future, the Jesuits have a very useful program for this. You go on a retreat with Jesuits for a month. Using the Spiritual Exercises, with prayer and some chatting with a mentor, you gradually discern your future.
I wish I had used this excellent option when I was younger.
Thank you Saint Ignatius!

Feb 28, 2016
often just caring for your 'neighbor' will bring one all of the love-joy-confidence-satisfaction one could ever ask or dream of -
but of course, there's not a lot of monetary benefits involved...

most of us know the scriptures about what the 'heart is all about' and what it seeks in this fallen world -
but, if we seek to serve our Heavenly Master above all else first, then His world and way are opened up to
our hearts desires...

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
Out of respect for God, you need to capitalize His name.. :)

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
Hello all, could anyone provide scripture on how to find gods calling for your life

I thought he wanted me to become a doctor and was on a supernatural trajectory for the first six years until my father died on my first week of medical school.

I withdrew from the program and restarted medicine in a new country. I am 14 months from graduation but I wonder, was he trying to send me a message to stop this calling or do something else

I believe I will only be happy when I am in the field working as a medical missionary abroad ... this fills me with joy and supernatural energy ... is this right or is this just my desire to do good so I feel worthy of being loved? Is this self serving and was I wrong the whole time? Where to go from here?
Hello Court_11, here's a link to two lectures that concern the discerning of God's will from the Bible, and in finding your vocation. They are both excellent lectures by Dr. R C Sproul, and I believe that you will find them useful (both in what to do to properly discern God's will for your life, as well what not to do), but it will cost you $2 to do so, as lecture #1 is free to listen to now, but lecture #2 will have to be purchased for $2.00 (though you will then own that lecture and can download it and/or listen to online again and again if you care to).

So, if you are interested, here's the link: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/will_of_god/gods-will-and-the-bible/?

God bless you!

~Deut

Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.

Dec 2, 2019
Hello Court_11, here's a link to two lectures that concern the discerning of God's will from the Bible, and in finding your vocation. They are both excellent lectures by Dr. R C Sproul, and I believe that you will find them useful (both in what to do to properly discern God's will for your life, as well what not to do), but it will cost you $2 to do so, as lecture #1 is free to listen to now, but lecture #2 will have to be purchased for $2.00 (though you will then own that lecture and can download it and/or listen to online again and again if you care to).

So, if you are interested, here's the link: https://www.ligonier.org/learn/series/will_of_god/gods-will-and-the-bible/?

God bless you!

~Deut

Romans 12
2 Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, so that you may prove what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect.
I love this podcast ! What a blessing thank you

Deuteronomy

Jun 11, 2018
I love this podcast ! What a blessing thank you
You're welcome. If you go to the search feature at the Ligonier site and type in "God's will", you'll find more materials that may interest you on this topic.

Also, Dr. Sproul (as well a number of other Ligonier teaching fellows), have a free, daily broadcast/podcast that includes new, daily lectures (like the two on God's will), as well an archive of those free broadcasts/podcasts that goes back 6 months. It's called Renewing Your Mind (which you can also catch on Christian radio stations, if you'd prefer).

~Deut
p.s. - it also looks like the God's Will 'bundle' is only $3.20 (for both lectures), just FYI (which would mean that you would own both of the lectures that I mentioned in my first post above), if you decide to buy that instead.

DesertWanderer

Nov 17, 2019
New Mexico, USA
I believe I will only be happy when I am in the field working as a medical missionary abroad
John MacArthur has a great sermon on this very subject. I'll try and find it for you. But he sums it up this way: If you are seeking God and His kingdom on a daily basis, it's okay to be a doctor, or electrician, or an UBER driver. It's even okay to take a vacation to Disneyland every year, as long as you follow Jesus' command to love God and love your neighbor as yourself.

I want to add one thing, briefly. I want to gently remind you that our true mission work starts where we are. We don't need to travel thousands of miles to find hurting people. For example, you can start with that young surgical nurse-- you know, the one who has the two kids and her husband just left her. You can tell her often about the saving grace of Christ and what it's meant to you; and the hope you have in it. Or you could just be her advocate by buffering her from the other male doctors who may not have the same Christian values you do.

Just a couple of ideas thrown around...

Dec 12, 2013

Romans 12:1-2 tells exactly how to find the perfect will of God for you in your life