How to have a good relationship with religion

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

elc33

Feb 5, 2019
I've already posted something similar to this on another website, but I want to here too since I'd like all the advice I can get.
I don't live with my father and his wife, and only see them on weekends. I instead live with my grandma(my mom died when I was a baby), who I love very much and is nothing like them at all. She's an incredible Christian with very strong faith.
My father and his wife don't really care about anything in my life, never ask about friends or relationships(been with a very nice boy for a year now but they don't want to hear about him bc his family is catholic-it's messed up, I know), and only show any reaction when I tell them I've gotten a good score on exams, b u t they grill me on things like if I have or haven't done Sunday school, and even if I tell them I have they make me do another lesson (which is annoying, I just wish they'd trust what I say for once), and are incredibly disappointed in me when I don't know the answer to their questions relating to the bible (ever so sorry I couldn't quote every single bible verse since the day I was born, dad). They're making me resent religion as a whole, and I don't want that to happen. How can I have a good relationship with religion with parents like this? I know not every Christian is like this, my mother's side of the family has definitely showed me how good a Christian can be, but even so, it's incredibly hard for me to believe in what they do when it makes them act the way they are towards me and other people. They're not even just like that to me, but make fun of others in the church behind their backs when they ask questions they deem as 'silly' or 'obvious' and say they shouldn't have ever been baptized if they didn't know stuff like that. I don't know if you've ever been around people like that, but in my opinion they're using the bible as a reason to gossip and pick fun at people who are just trying to learn how to have faith. Even their own children. I'm currently agnostic, I guess, but would like to at least learn to have a good relationship with the idea of religion. Any advice would be really appreciated.

CharliRenee

Staff member
Nov 4, 2014
Thanks for this question, it is a fair one that I think many, myself included, have asked. First, sorry about the loss of your Mom. Second, I am sorry that you are not feeling loved and supported by your parents.

Listen, religion is not the way, He is. Hmmm, what do I mean? Well, the redemption, trust, transforming, and faith all point to Him and us in Him. It is a relationship thay builds with time. I do enjoy reading the word because it brings joy, comfort, guidance. He and His word are food that taste good. I know even on our best days, though, we still need Jesus. Your parents, like all humans, are flawed, even with the best intentions. Does that mean it is ok to gossip, or to not encourage you in the way you want or need, absolutely not. Often our actions don't add up to that of what we preach or even believe. Remember though, it is about Him, not about people, even those who we are closest to. The word is a message to you, making an appeal from God to you, asking you to receive Him, for He loves you so much.

here is a verse...

You search and keep on searching and examining the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; and yet it is those [very Scriptures] that testify about Me; and still you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
JOHN 5:39‭-‬40 AMP
https://bible.com/bible/1588/jhn.5.39-40.AMP

See the word testifies to the truth, but it is coming to Him that saves us.

I appreciate your being honest that you are not sure if you believe or not. I will pray for His revealing in your mind and heart. I pray that you seek Him, not because any others want you to, but because He is the way, the truth and the Life. He loves you so much and wants to come live inside you, to help, to save, to comfort, to teach, to heal. I encourage you to pray, asking Him to help you with your unbelief. I ask that you remember that when you see Christians fall short, their words and actions not lining up, you realize it isn't because of what we believe, but why He and His atonement, His perfected Love and Mercy are needed.

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
@elc33
Religion is always a problem. Even in the bible religious people are discussed and even responsible for the murder of Jesus.
Following God is something that goes beyond religion. Anyone can be religious but not everyone knows God, even those claiming religion.
Religion is often used as a weapon by people seeking power or justification for doing wrong. When used properly it can be used to help understand the guidelines of ones faith.
So be careful not to confuse those who misuse religion for selfish reasons vs the real basis for why it exists.

As far as your Catholic bf i understand their reasons for disapproval, i just don't agree with their approach. Catholicism holds many beliefs that are contrary to biblical teaching and is viewed by many Christians as a cult.

elc33

Feb 5, 2019
@CharliRenee Thank you. I find myself praying a lot these days and asking Him for help, even though sometimes I have my doubts. That's a really nice verse, btw.
and @Subhumanoidal I agree, and am trying my best to build a good and strong relationship with God. Just not sure what religion I fall under.
On the Catholic thing, they themselves are in a denomination that most view as a cult (christadelphians) so I don't really think they have any right to judge- although nobody does haha, only Him. Oh well, things are how they are. Thank you v much though for your response.

On another note, I made this post at a time when I was quite upset and flustered over things that had happened between me and my parents, and your responses helped and I'll try my best not to let other's words affect my faith. Thank you both very much.