How would you date someone new in the midst of this pandemic?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Hello i been thinking about the impact of covid l-19 on the dating scene recently..cox pandemic or not people can still end up meeting someone special.Yet with so many various restriction in your own countries ect...just how would you cope if you did actually meet someone that you actually feel attracted too?They maybe online or soneone you know/met in real life..Would you decide to hold back hoping your feelings of attraction would somehow disappear?Or would you just go for it and use technology like video calls,texting,phone calls till to build the relationship till you're allowed to meet face to face...in some cases socially distanced..Plus if the other person is living abroad would you fly out to meet them?(again socially distanced)..or just stick to using technology as mentioned above.
Personally i would do whatever i would be permitted to do in terms of restrictions to make things work..technology..ie video calls ect..and would find a way to meet face to face when possible pending on the guidelines.
So how would you cope with having met someone new in the current pandemic?
If you can met them outdoors but socially distanced..you can't hold hands or even hug?..Be nice to hear your thoughts

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
no idea
what if you met someone old ...does it always have to be someone new. lol

not really something people ought to be worried about right now I think.

cinder

Mar 26, 2014
Practically, if it's someone new local in most places (at least in the US where I live) no one is actually policing the restrictions much when it comes to individuals. So with several theoreticals in there: if I were to meet someone, pandemic guidelines wouldn't affect my behavior toward them much personally. I'd probably make sure we were on the same page about trying to limit the circle of people we come in contact with to help reduce the spread of the virus. But as far as I'm concerned if you're in my in group (family and maybe a very few co-workers or friends) and we're both using common sense, then our risk in being together is minimal. And I'd extend that to a new SO (so sure there would be hugs and hand holding and other contact if that was what we wanted at that point in our relationship).

I'd find the bigger obstacle in forming a relationship to be the lack of public space available for the first few dates. While I'm homebody enough to just spend time in one of our homes in an established relationship, in a new one I'd value the ability to meet in a neutral location for the first few dates. And I think that would be harder and more difficult and with winter around the corner outdoor activities are more challenging (and breaking a leg attempting skiing / snowboarding and ending the date in the hospital does not a good date make). But as you mentioned with video calls and e-mail and chat and stuff, it's much easier to build a relationship at a distance than it ever has been.

As for longer distance stuff, I'd be willing to get to know someone, but with concerns about travel restrictions and when we could actually meet in person, well I'd probably be reluctant to make it official or exclusive. That would be something that could wait till after the pandemic is more under control.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
no idea
what if you met someone old ...does it always have to be someone new. lol

not really something people ought to be worried about right now I think.
If i met some old...hope its not a clone of my ex...if they are old in terms of years..just think of the amazing life stories they could be telling me...
And of course an indivual would be aware of such things if such situation was to arise...people are also permitted to think about whatever they wanna think about

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Practically, if it's someone new local in most places (at least in the US where I live) no one is actually policing the restrictions much when it comes to individuals. So with several theoreticals in there: if I were to meet someone, pandemic guidelines wouldn't affect my behavior toward them much personally. I'd probably make sure we were on the same page about trying to limit the circle of people we come in contact with to help reduce the spread of the virus. But as far as I'm concerned if you're in my in group (family and maybe a very few co-workers or friends) and we're both using common sense, then our risk in being together is minimal. And I'd extend that to a new SO (so sure there would be hugs and hand holding and other contact if that was what we wanted at that point in our relationship).

I'd find the bigger obstacle in forming a relationship to be the lack of public space available for the first few dates. While I'm homebody enough to just spend time in one of our homes in an established relationship, in a new one I'd value the ability to meet in a neutral location for the first few dates. And I think that would be harder and more difficult and with winter around the corner outdoor activities are more challenging (and breaking a leg attempting skiing / snowboarding and ending the date in the hospital does not a good date make). But as you mentioned with video calls and e-mail and chat and stuff, it's much easier to build a relationship at a distance than it ever has been.

As for longer distance stuff, I'd be willing to get to know someone, but with concerns about travel restrictions and when we could actually meet in person, well I'd probably be reluctant to make it official or exclusive. That would be something that could wait till after the pandemic is more under control.
Hello cinder much appreciate your response.Love the various situations you gave and i know that Gods plans for us are not affected by the pandemic.I came out of a relationship around feb this year just before things really began kicking off over here in england...and cupids arrows are still flying about...💘💘....I like the fact that you would make whatever allowances ect necessary for things to progress and the level developement would determine the level of contact.....and who said romance is dead..
I personally love huggs and cuddles...so if i could do it for i would have to buy a massive pillow and hug that instead when chatting to them on face time...😊😊😊..
Great response from you.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Hey I just met you
And this is crazy
But I don't want covid
So back off maybe

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
If i met some old...hope its not a clone of my ex...if they are old in terms of years..just think of the amazing life stories they could be telling me...
And of course an indivual would be aware of such things if such situation was to arise...people are also permitted to think about whatever they wanna think about
well lots of people have been through this before it was the same kind of thing with AIDS and that happened in the 90s where everyone was told to 'practice safe sex' but nobody actually really did.
before that, people were on drugs and pills and even before that, people were just drunk.

if people wanna do what they wanna do they will do it.

Christians though are just reminded not to fornicate,, flee from it, or if they must...at least marry their intended.
Jesus held us to higher standards though and not to lust after everybody we meet. And so a lot of us actually just do the work of repairing everyone elses messed up relationships.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
Sorry I just think you need to forgive your ex (if they have asked forgiveness) and whatever came from that.
I dont really think badly of the people I no longer talk to and dont call them 'my ex' I guess someone needs to be 'exceptional' to be an ex.

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
well lots of people have been through this before it was the same kind of thing with AIDS and that happened in the 90s where everyone was told to 'practice safe sex' but nobody actually really did.
before that, people were on drugs and pills and even before that, people were just drunk.

if people wanna do what they wanna do they will do it.

Christians though are just reminded not to fornicate,, flee from it, or if they must...at least marry their intended.
Jesus held us to higher standards though and not to lust after everybody we meet. And so a lot of us actually just do the work of repairing everyone elses messed up relationships.
When i said that people are permitted to think whatever they wanna think i was refering to your comment saying people ought not to be worried about things like what this thread was about....."dating somebody new in the midst of this pandemic"..

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Sorry I just think you need to forgive your ex (if they have asked forgiveness) and whatever came from that.
I dont really think badly of the people I no longer talk to and dont call them 'my ex' I guess someone needs to be 'exceptional' to be an ex.
Why do you somehow think i need to be forgiving me ex?...
I haven't disclosed any info about the dynamics surrounding them at all.
If you once dated someone and for whatever reason the relationship doesnt work out then that is what they called..an ex (boyfriend/girlfriend/partner)

K

Kim82

I think its a great time for Christians to date. With the social distancing guidelines, it will stop fornication. What the devil meant for evil, God has turned it around for good.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
"How would you date someone new in the midst of this pandemic?"

Distantly.

IToreTheSky

Aug 20, 2020
N.Y.
I can only speak for myself. At this moment in time I'm not even interested in anyone but if I were I'm sure I could figure something out that would be good for her and I that would bring us closer to getting to know one another during this crazy time we live in now.
I like hugs and holding hands and all that stuff too but if she's the "one" then no sacrifice is too great.

Tararose

Sep 30, 2020
Uk
www.101christiansocialnetwork.com
Well it is an unusual dilema I guess... I suppose if you think they are worth waiting for, maybe just let them know that and do what you can within the restrictions you are under. Be that video calls, phone calls or waving across a park and talk by holding up signs written on big loveheart whiteboards :)

We dont ditch Jesus because we have to wait to see Him face to face. I guess its the same.
All too often we get swept up in the moment, in the first impression or the way a person attracts us. I guess this is a fantastic way to see how a person behaves when they have to wait, and what they do in times of pressure, how they handle it.

Are they always moaning or are they seeing the silver lining and encouraging others to look to what matters, to be a help and a light in dark times, to look to eternal freedoms and the joy that is set before them... I am not saying they never get a bit down, but are they generally being consistent with someone who is satisfied with Jesus as their all in all. If not, they will never be satisfied with you so this is a good time to see what is what. My old pastor had a saying - pressure reveals the person. I think it is very true.

I wish you, or whomever inspired the question, a very blessed time in this pandemic search for love.
God can certainly bring beauty forth from the ashes and turn every trial into a blessing.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Wait, what? How did we go from socializing and dating to sex?

I mean yes, in some circles one requires the other. I thought Christians hung out in different circles though...

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
I think its a great time for Christians to date. With the social distancing guidelines, it will stop fornication. What the devil meant for evil, God has turned it around for good.
You mean it will stop Christian's from fornication?

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
I can only speak for myself. At this moment in time I'm not even interested in anyone but if I were I'm sure I could figure something out that would be good for her and I that would bring us closer to getting to know one another during this crazy time we live in now.
I like hugs and holding hands and all that stuff too but if she's the "one" then no sacrifice is too great.
Yes I feel the same...and getting to know each other can be the fun part too..Yes ther us a total different perspective when having met someone and you pray about the situation and for each other and it feels right and you both sense Gods blessing and presence...no sacrifice will indeed be too great..also it demonstrates ones total commitment to the other person ect.. 😊

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Well it is an unusual dilema I guess... I suppose if you think they are worth waiting for, maybe just let them know that and do what you can within the restrictions you are under. Be that video calls, phone calls or waving across a park and talk by holding up signs written on big loveheart whiteboards :)

We dont ditch Jesus because we have to wait to see Him face to face. I guess its the same.
All too often we get swept up in the moment, in the first impression or the way a person attracts us. I guess this is a fantastic way to see how a person behaves when they have to wait, and what they do in times of pressure, how they handle it.

Are they always moaning or are they seeing the silver lining and encouraging others to look to what matters, to be a help and a light in dark times, to look to eternal freedoms and the joy that is set before them... I am not saying they never get a bit down, but are they generally being consistent with someone who is satisfied with Jesus as their all in all. If not, they will never be satisfied with you so this is a good time to see what is what. My old pastor had a saying - pressure reveals the person. I think it is very true.

I wish you, or whomever inspired the question, a very blessed time in this pandemic search for love.
God can certainly bring beauty forth from the ashes and turn every trial into a blessing.
Well said..and the reason for thos thread was just coz I was thinking about this the other day..coz I am hearing of dating websites still being busy with people meeting on line ect and i thought about things from a Christian perspective.
I guess Christian's are saved human beings and well all have bits in our personality or character that manifest in various situations that otherwise would show..Plus we are trusting God to bless any new potential person we meet any goodness God certainly knows how to show is what a person is made of for our eyes only....sometimes we can be pleasantly surprised 😊😊😊😊😊😊❤

Encouragement

Aug 25, 2020
Wait, what? How did we go from socializing and dating to sex?

I mean yes, in some circles one requires the other. I thought Christians hung out in different circles though...
Lol...no idea...
sex shouldn't even rear its head on the horizon here...😊

Aerials1978

Dec 10, 2019
I have had a lady friend for about five months now. COVID was not really a concern nor has it been since. I know I will catch flank for this by some, but I refuse to live in fear.