How Would You Debate?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
I spoke with professing Christian today who said she believes people have many ways into heaven, as long as they are sincere. We were talking about about people like Muslims (they just have the wrong god), ((according to her but it still counts)) and people that never heard the Word of G-d. We debated for our lunch hour. How would you debate? Is she right or does Scripture NOT ONLY SAY BUT SPEAK OUT LOUD DIFFERENT!?!

BenFTW

Oct 7, 2012
If there are other ways to be saved, why would Jesus need to die for our sins? In this case, it was cruel for Jesus to go to the cross, be crucified, and suffer for the sake of humanity if there was another way by which men could be reconciled to God. She reaches an inconsistency in her beliefs if she believes people can be saved through any other means than Christ, and Him alone.

She needs to understand the necessity of sin being paid for, otherwise we are condemned without Christ. If Jesus doesn't pay for your sins, then you will, because the penalty for sin is death, and if Christ is not standing in your stead then you have no mediator between you and God. You are guilty of your sins, and justice is called for. Christ is the propitiation for the sins of the world, but if they do not repent, they stand condemned before God (because they are guilty).

You would have to show her that we all fall short of God's glory, and there is a reason that Jesus Christ is called The Way, The Truth, and The Life and none come to the Father except through Him. He is that sufficient sacrifice that takes away our sins, the very thing that alienates us from God.

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
John 14:6: Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me."

God didn't give different people groups different avenues to reach eternal life. There always has been only one way: through Christ. Of course there are many other verses one could use, but this is a starting point. :)

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I spoke with professing Christian today who said she believes people have many ways into heaven, as long as they are sincere. We were talking about about people like Muslims (they just have the wrong god), ((according to her but it still counts)) and people that never heard the Word of G-d. We debated for our lunch hour. How would you debate? Is she right or does Scripture NOT ONLY SAY BUT SPEAK OUT LOUD DIFFERENT!?!
Your professed christian friend does not know Jesus too well....

He said, "No one comes to the father except through me." (John 14:6)

Those have not yet heard the word of GOd or of Jesus's teachings are judged by GOd according to their actions. Scripture says that right and wrong are written on everyone's heart..

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.
(Romans 2:14-15)

Last edited:

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
Your professed christian friend does not know Jesus too well....

He said, "No one comes to the father except through me." (John 14:6)

Those have not yet heard the word of GOd or of Jesus's teachings are judged by GOd according to their actions. Scripture says that right and wrong are written on everyone's heart..

Indeed, when Gentiles, who do not have the law, do by nature things required by the law, they are a law for themselves, even though they do not have the law. 15 They show that the requirements of the law are written on their hearts, their consciences also bearing witness, and their thoughts sometimes accusing them and at other times even defending them.
(Romans 2:14-15)

I love this! Do you know why? You just proved the Law is for today!!!! IT HAS NOT PASSED AWAY!!!!

I used all of creation declares His glory... did not think of this Scripture but it is BRILLIANT!!!... On every side! Well done!!!

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
We debated for our lunch hour. How would you debate?
There is nothing to debate. All you needed to do is ask the other person two questions:

1. If everyone could go to Heaven based on their religions why was it necessary for Christ to die on that Cross and rise again the third day?

2. If Jesus said what has already been quoted (John 14:6) -- Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me -- then does that not exclude all other ways to Heaven?

zeroturbulence

Aug 2, 2009
I love this! Do you know why? You just proved the Law is for today!!!! IT HAS NOT PASSED AWAY!!!!

I used all of creation declares His glory... did not think of this Scripture but it is BRILLIANT!!!... On every side! Well done!!!
Thank you! :D

I think one important thing to remember though is that most muslims, jews, mormons, buddhists, etc.. have already heard it said that Jesus is the son of God but have chosen to not believe it. In that case, they are subject to the first scripture.. (John 14:6)

trofimus

Aug 17, 2015
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved."
Acts 4:12

Shamah

Jan 6, 2018
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]John 10:9, “I am the door. Whoever enters through Me, he shall be saved, and shall go in and shall go out and find pasture.”[/FONT]

Mar 23, 2016
Romans 10:

9 That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.

10 For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.

11 For the scripture saith, Whosoever believeth on him shall not be ashamed.

12 For there is no difference between the Jew and the Greek: for the same Lord over all is rich unto all that call upon him.

13 For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Joseppi

Jan 4, 2018
What? None of you believe God’s love is unconditional?

Dec 12, 2013
No, she is not right......Jesus literally said, "I MYSELF AM the true and living way" NO MAN comes unto the FATHER but by ME......

FAITH comes by hearing, and hearing by the word of GOD <--How shall they hear except ONE BE SENT.......

ONE must hear, acknowledge, believe and confess said belief into the ONE TRUE GOSPEL in order to make it into the kingdom of GOD.....and GALATIANS makes it clear that even to embellish the gospel = a false gospel with no power to save and one that is double cursed......

JESUS even states that MANY will come before his throne BOASTING of all of the wonderful works they have done in his name and he states that HE NEVER KNEW THEM and they are cast....

If a man that boasted of wonderful works in the very NAME of JESUS does not make the cut, much less a MAN (MUSLIM) that believes in a false god that is diametrically opposed to CHRIST.......

I am sorry, but your co-worker is ignorant of the truth........and one who believes that and yet claims Christ.....not that I can judge their salvation, but I can judge their claim as suspect........

jimd

Dec 9, 2017
There is much more to this subject than most realize, zeroturbulence has hinted at some of it. Bottom line, we should be very slow indeed to judge.

John146

Jan 13, 2016
I know of only 2 ways to heaven:

1. Death
2. Rapture

;)

Josie223

Mar 24, 2018
Cameroon
There is only one way to the Father, John 14:6 Jesus is the way the life and the truth, no one goes to the father except by Him.
John 4:16
God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son, that who so ever believe in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.

D

Depleted

I know enough Bible to prove her wrong, but I also wouldn't debate (anymore.) I'd present her with the gospel.

Big problem we have nowadays. Most Christians think regeneration comes through debate. (Look at this forum. Isn't it mostly about debating, and very little about God?) It doesn't. It comes through the message -- the gospel/Jesus.

Mar 28, 2016
I would in the spirit of love ask all different kinds of questions, some more simple than others like, what do they think the bible means as another Christ, another gospel as that which we are to be aware of and warned of?

I marvel that ye are so quickly removing from him that called you in the grace of Christ unto a different gospel; which is not another gospel only there are some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ. But though we, or an angel from heaven, should preach unto you any gospel other than that which we preached unto you, let him be anathema. Gal 1:8

How would they know these other gods are not the gods they are holding as equal to our God?

It would seem to me a Christian would be moved to defend the true gospel and if not think of another question by which they could question there new faith if they have been given any. Perhaps the Holy Spirit would intervene.

If they are not open to the word of God as the witness of God a person might change their approach, shake the dust off ones feet and hope for another encounter knowing how God’s love drew us through His word. We can all say what the Holy Spirit informs us below...... only by grace can we come, as he does work in us, with us, to both to will and do that good pleasure.

I don't think the other gospel of the worldly religions offer that kind of grace

Gal 1:15 But when it was the good pleasure of God, who separated me, even from my mother's womb, and called me through his grace,

Last edited:

CS1

May 23, 2012
a few thing that stand out

1. anyone can say they are a christian
2. is the word of God true and do they believe that?
3. If answer is yes then ask what do ytou do about what Jesus said HE is the obly way to the Father .?

And IF Jesus is right how can you as a Christian change what Jesus said ? drop mic walk away .